PDA

View Full Version : New bangs/fringe

Eirelin
August 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, I finally did it; I went to the salon. I joined LHC in May, and the last trim or cut I had had before that was last fall (I think?). I usually only go 2 or 3 times a year, at the most, anyway, and I am even less inclined to do so now.

I have been dealing with bangs that range from just below the tip of my nose to below the chin, and they have been driving me nuts (are they still considered bangs when they are below your chin/jawline and are layered in with the rest of the hair?). I have been debating getting them cut back in again but wasn't too sure. After seeing Arc691's pretty styles, complete with bangs, I decided to go ahead. Besides, I am too scared to try to trim my own hair with all the layers, so that needed to be done, anyway. (I will S&D my roommate's hair because 1. his is mostly one length and 2. it is easier to do someone else's hair than your own, especially the back of the head.)

So, I went in and asked for bangs (regular, plain, old ordinary bangs, roughly eye level), and a trim of no more than 1/2 an inch on the layers.

She did a good job, cut the bangs dry, spritzed the rest with just water (I had lightly oiled last night, slept in it, and CWC'd this morning about 2 hours earlier), and then trimmed. She was the one who suggested trimming less than the 1/2 inch on most of the layers and up to the 1/2 inch only on the bottom-most layer and only if necessary.

I was very pleased with everything except for one fairly minor detail; I was expecting a more or less blunt cut on the bangs with maybe a slight taper on the sides, but I realized that she was using the tips of the scissors to make tiny little snips at the ends of the bangs.

Is this what is referred to as razor cut (or is that something else entirely)? Before she started, she cut them off straight across a little at a time, pausing a few times so I could check the length, so I thought that was what she was gong to continue with. But a real quick snip, snip, snip, and that was it.

Why do they do this, instead of just cutting straight across and is there any benefit or detriment to it?

I cam home afterward, re-spritzed it, and, using my very small, just-made (from shed hair I have been saving since the beginning of June) rat, put it in a half-up with the rat on the top/crown area, twisting a bit for a poof. Then I used the little double-pronged salon clips to roll the rest of it up in (as I think they are called) barrel rolls (like pin curls but standing up). Then I spritzed it all over with my homemade hair spray of boiled lemons & water. Yeah, I know you are supposed to roll the whole thing first and then put it up, but I was just playing a little bit to see how the poofy bit (first time trying it, especially with the rat) would work with the bangs. I still couldn't be sure how it looked with everything dangling and still damp, so I decided then to try rolling it.

So, the upshot of all this is, can anyone answer the questions regarding razor cutting bangs?

Oh, and as it is still damp, I will see how it comes out afterwards and post pics if it looks okay. I am still looking for a late 60's hairstyle for a Star Trek outfit for Halloween that doesn't require backcombing or extensions/hairpieces and am hoping something like this might work.

Roseate
August 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I realized that she was using the tips of the scissors to make tiny little snips at the ends of the bangs.

Is this what is referred to as razor cut (or is that something else entirely)? ...

Why do they do this, instead of just cutting straight across and is there any benefit or detriment to it?

If she used scissors, it's not razor cutting. What you're describing is called point cutting, and it's done to soften the edges of layers or bangs.

My stylist cuts my blunt bangs this way; since I have thick hair it helps to blend the edge a little so they don't stick out like a shelf. They still look blunt, it's a pretty subtle difference, but I like it. It's not damaging to your hair, but if you don't like the look just mention it at your next bang trim so they don't do it again.

Fencai
August 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
PIC PIC PIC!? Where is the pic of this fabulous sounding hair cut and style!? :)
happy you had a good experience. And no its not razor cutting. Its just to blend the ends in and soften them up a little bit