PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with hair while recovering from a head injury?

TheBluffs
August 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Yesterday, I suffered from a head injury, and this has left me with a bit of a problem with dealing with my hair. I'm not sure how, but I went front-of-my-hair first into the brick wall in my backyard, upon lying on my tummy on a lawn chair. This left me with the skin scratched off about 5 by 2 cm on the top of my head. When I went to go look in the mirror, I realized that my head was bleeding, and it looked like part of my hair was matted 5 cm down from the follicle.
I grabed a brush, to see if I could straighten in out somehow, and a chunk of my hair just came out (about 100 or so strands). :bigeyes: I realized that the brick had scraped my hair when I hit the wall, and cut it off. I realized that was the least of my problems. Because of the lack of skin, I could not do buns, as they pulled tight on the hair. Braids are still quiet painful, so I have been wearing my hair down both around the house and to sleep. Tomorrow, I have to leave to visit some friends, and I relize I should not as washing would require scratching the scalp. Has anyone had any experience with dealing with hair while dealing with a head injure? :flower:

neko_kawaii
August 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Oh ouch! I have no experience with this and can only offer *hug*
Hoping it will heal quickly!

newbeginning
August 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
No advice but I hope for a speedy recovery.

Henna_Goddess
August 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I tell you...just when you least expect it those brick walls come right on out and smack you in the head...

All joking aside. Can you wear a loose braid in your hair? Something to keep the hair in check but not hurt your head?

Get better hun.

Maelyssa
August 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately I have no advice to offer but I can really empathize with your pain. Poor you! I do hope it heals well for you.

RitaPG
August 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure I understood (my English isn't the best and it's 4 in the morning...) is the wound on your hairline or at the top of your head?
Anyway, you could wash the area around the injury, but you'd have to be very, very, very careful to not even let water touch it, water on fresh wounds is awfully painful. If that was my head, I wouldn't let water near it for at least a week.
If visiting your friends is a formal occasion or you are going to hang outside, I would consider explaining them about your accident and not going, wouldn't want to expose an open wound to the sun or to dust/pollution, and I don't see how putting a bandaid on it is possible (since taking it off would pull and hurt more).
If you're just staying indoors, maybe you can leave it like that, at most use a very light headscarf or a bandanna to keep it covered. In this case, you should also tell your friends about it, in case they feel like touching your hair or do something that might unintentionally hurt you.

Also, you didn't mention this so I have to ask, have you been checked by a doctor yet? Head injuries are not the same as scraped knees, and (hairloss aside) you should really be sure it's nothing too serious and risk an infection. My brother hit his head twice, and none of us tought it was a big deal until the doc said he needed stitches shudder:
Not trying to scare you or anything, just want you to be safe.
Hope you heal fast and the hair grows back just fine :flower: