PDA

View Full Version : my friend said my hair is not curly :(

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
my best friend for life said my hair was not curly anymore because of my length :(. I was sad because I love my curls and she said they are curly but looking wavy :( it was damp and not dry. I do not know if I should get layers or a specilized hair cut for curly hair. If makes me sad to think I am not "as curly AS I use too be " any advice?
Sorry had to vent.

oktobergoud
August 25th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I think it's normal because the length 'weights' your hair down and thus the curls might get less tight.

Then again, when I look at your siggy picture, I think it looks very curly to me! :) Also, did you notice the curls being less curly before, or only because your friend told you?

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I notice a bit because of the weight but I felt it was still really curly

DuckyDot
August 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
To be honest, I have no idea what your friend is talking about! Your hair is very curly and beautiful! :) Don't worry!

CurlyMopTop
August 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM
It still looks really curly to me. :)

lapushka
August 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe it's her. Maybe she's not used to seeing long curly hair.

It looks curly to me too!

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
She pulls on my strands and is like "Brenda!! your hair is not as curly its wavy then curly !" it hurts because I am attached to my curls. Also I ask friends and they say it is but not as much? By the way, my siggy is from like april probably?And they say "It is not as curly as last year" Then when it dried it is as curly as my siggy? IMO of course :(

MiamiPineapple
August 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Take it from someone with straight hair, you hair is VERY curly. I love it!

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Maybe it's her. Maybe she's not used to seeing long curly hair.

It looks curly to me too!
She is use to it, because she has seen my hair from shoulder length [which was super curly and bong bongs] all the way to waist. I do not know, so curly are like super curly then she says they are straight, my experimenting album is my recent hair.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Take it from someone with straight hair, you hair is VERY curly. I love it!
Awww, thank you :) you made me smile and my day. It did bum me all day though. Your is pretty as well.

irishlady
August 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what your friend means, because it looks very curly to me in your siggy pic?

CurlyCap
August 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hair can stay curly at your length!

I did a big chop, but maintained waist-length curls for years. Here's a bit of what I learned:

1. Do you brush your hair, even when wet? That makes it harder for the curl to bounce back at your length. Try just finger combing to make sure the hair "bunches", making sure it's easier for it to curl.

2. MOISTURE IS KING with long curls. Do you wet your hair at night or in the morning? Do you use a leave-in conditioner? (Not oil. Oil is not water.) Do you stretch the times between when you get it wet? Curls do best when they are allowed to curl while wet. Start manipulating them before that, and your curl will fall. When they are dry, they are pretty impervious to styling.

3. Curls always stretch overnight, so you may get out the shower with tight curls and then they are weaker in the morning (and work!). One things that worked for me was to sleep with it in a bun, capped with a scrunchie. The twisting of the bun gave the curls a shape to conform to overnight and kept a little of the moisture in. In the morning, shake out the bun, spritz if you need to, and go! Beautiful, sleep-impervious curls!

4. If you're interesting, layering really is your friend. My friends with long straight hair hate it, but for curls....you have curls! Curls give you volume, and any short layers just become curly tendrils like other ladies pay for in the salon. While it may be scary to cut layers into your hair, I found that the layers gave each curl more room to form, giving a lower-maintenance way to get pretty curls. Unlayered, your usually fighting a LOT of volume, and that may lead to more styling or restraining of the hair....causing the curls to loosen.

If any of this is new, hope it helps. I know what it's like to be attached to the little spirals on your head!

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure what your friend means, because it looks very curly to me in your siggy pic?

She means to basically say in our language "your hair is not a strong 3b or 3a. more of a 2a-2c." [thought she would never understand our language :P]

It's curly but not as much as if it were like bsl and up. I actually feel I have alot of curl at my waist length. My siggy was like mbl.

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
It's curly, but probably not as curly as it was a year ago. They're right, and you're right.

Every curly has to find her own happy medium on the curls vs length spectrum. Optimal curls tend to require something above waist. They'll drag a lot until one gets to be 3c/4a when the pattern is strong enough to handle the length. Some curlies go for curl only, some go for length only, and others find a place in the middle. I'm more curl centered. My pattern isn't what I like once I hit waist. So, I get to waist, let it sit for a but, go back to APL and repeat the process.

You could do a fresh typing pic, naked hair, no product, air dried so you can get a clear idea of where your curl patent sits right now.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM

I did a big chop, but maintained waist-length curls for years. Here's a bit of what I learned:

1. Do you brush your hair, even when wet? That makes it harder for the curl to bounce back at your length. Try just finger combing to make sure the hair "bunches", making sure it's easier for it to curl.

2. MOISTURE IS KING with long curls. Do you wet your hair at night or in the morning? Do you use a leave-in conditioner? (Not oil. Oil is not water.) Do you stretch the times between when you get it wet? Curls do best when they are allowed to curl while wet. Start manipulating them before that, and your curl will fall. When they are dry, they are pretty impervious to styling.

3. Curls always stretch overnight, so you may get out the shower with tight curls and then they are weaker in the morning (and work!). One things that worked for me was to sleep with it in a bun, capped with a scrunchie. The twisting of the bun gave the curls a shape to conform to overnight and kept a little of the moisture in. In the morning, shake out the bun, spritz if you need to, and go! Beautiful, sleep-impervious curls!

4. If you're interesting, layering really is your friend. My friends with long straight hair hate it, but for curls....you have curls! Curls give you volume, and any short layers just become curly tendrils like other ladies pay for in the salon. While it may be scary to cut layers into your hair, I found that the layers gave each curl more room to form, giving a lower-maintenance way to get pretty curls. Unlayered, your usually fighting a LOT of volume, and that may lead to more styling or restraining of the hair....causing the curls to loosen.

If any of this is new, hope it helps. I know what it's like to be attached to the little spirals on your head!

Oh my goddness! Yes I am attached and thank you for your tips and time to write it. I do comb with fingers then a comb for the snarls. My friends touched my hair alot when it was like 70% dry and I told her to stop but she just kept pointing out it's wavy and straighter.

I moisturize alot. I do deep treatments at least once a week. I pineapple even at my length I get second day curls.

I am scared for layers because I like all one length [easier to do updos]. But I am starting to do duckpins then on the scalp to make volume on the scalp and maybe it can lessen the weight on the bottom?

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
It's curly, but probably not as curly as it was a year ago. They're right, and you're right.

Every curly has to find her own happy medium on the curls vs length spectrum. Optimal curls tend to require something above waist. They'll drag a lot until one gets to be 3c/4a when the pattern is strong enough to handle the length. Some curlies go for curl only, some go for length only, and others find a place in the middle. I'm more curl centered. My pattern isn't what I like once I hit waist. So, I get to waist, let it sit for a but, go back to APL and repeat the process.

You could do a fresh typing pic, naked hair, no product, air dried so you can get a clear idea of where your curl patent sits right now.

I am the middle type, who loves my spirals but love the length :(. I have never tried naked hair for being to afraid of what it will look like. I will try next week :)

CurlyCap
August 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM
4. If you're interesting,

LOL. Sorry! The typos above make my brain hurt, but I don't know how to edit a post yet! :bow:

Also, remember that if you spend some time getting your curls back into spirals, it's going to look a LOT shorter. Some people don't like that compromise, but I love spirals more than length.

When I used to do my "perfected lotion/potion/air" voodoo hair dance for weddings and photos, my hair curled so much it could look BSL even though it was nearly to my tailbone. For work, I usually did the bun thing, which was a looser curl, still spirals, but that made it look MBL.

However, my conditioner bottle knew it was tailbone length, and never let me forget it!

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I am the middle type, who loves my spirals but love the length :(. I have never tried naked hair for being to afraid of what it will look like. I will try next week :)

Checking might not be pleasant, but it's good to see where you are so you can make a more informed decision. :)

FWIW, I have layers, and I do updos. I just don't try to do updos meant for straight hair. You'll rarely see me posting here in the hairstyle of the month thread, lol.

We're 3a/b blends, and that isn't always strong enough of a pattern to hold up at very long lengths. Maintaining your moisture/protein balance is critical. Too much or too little of either will straighten the curl. But, at some point, the curl will decrease due to length.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Also, remember that if you spend some time getting your curls back into spirals, it's going to look a LOT shorter. Some people don't like that compromise, but I love spirals more than length.

When I used to do my "perfected lotion/potion/air" voodoo hair dance for weddings and photos, my hair curled so much it could look BSL even though it was nearly to my tailbone. For work, I usually did the bun thing, which was a looser curl, still spirals, but that made it look MBL.

However, my conditioner bottle knew it was tailbone length, and never let me forget it!

I love both curly and long so I will try to figure something out. Maybe you can tell me your potion ;) HEHE my conditioner does not forget as well.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Checking might not be pleasant, but it's good to see where you are so you can make a more informed decision. :)

FWIW, I have layers, and I do updos. I just don't try to do updos meant for straight hair. You'll rarely see me posting here in the hairstyle of the month thread, lol.

We're 3a/b blends, and that isn't always strong enough of a pattern to hold up at very long lengths. Maintaining your moisture/protein balance is critical. Too much or too little of either will straighten the curl. But, at some point, the curl will decrease due to length.
Sadly I know my hair will lose it curl a bit but I am waiting a miracle! And I do not try protein much because I do not know what product to do a treatment for it. maybe suave coconut conditioner ? Can you recommend your balance technique?

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sadly I know my hair will lose it curl a bit but I am waiting a miracle! And I do not try protein much because I do not know what product to do a treatment for it. maybe suave coconut conditioner ? Can you recommend your balance technique?

I'd love to have my chin length curl pattern with TB hair, but it isn't going to happen. :lol: :) I have to settle for a middle ground that I like.

I could give you my routine, but it might not work best for your hair since it's my routine. :)

I can, however, point you in the right direction for testing your own hair and using those results in tweaking your routine.

http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

There is an embedded link in the blog post. Follow that to see how to test your own hair.

dRummie
August 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I haven't read all the responses, but I'll agree with the general sentiment in this thread - your hair is still really curly! What your friends are saying is it's not as curly as before, but that's a given, considering that it's gotten longer - which is a whole separate accomplishment that you can be very happy about!

I think you should try to consider the whole look, not just degree of curl, and decide what you want - shorter and curlier, or longer, or longer with layers (how attached are you to your updos? :P)... That said, I can't imagine ever considering you a wavy :)

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I haven't read all the responses, but I'll agree with the general sentiment in this thread - your hair is still really curly! What your friends are saying is it's not as curly as before, but that's a given, considering that it's gotten longer - which is a whole separate accomplishment that you can be very happy about!

I think you should try to consider the whole look, not just degree of curl, and decide what you want - shorter and curlier, or longer, or longer with layers (how attached are you to your updos? :P)... That said, I can't imagine ever considering you a wavy :)
aww thank you :). I am attached to updos alot since I get annoyed sometimes with hair all over my face + the damage..nu uh,, not worth it.!I love curly and length so I must see where I go ...

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have not done a protein treatment in a while and I do not think I use protein ingredients products. Hmm,, I do alot of moisture, maybe I will try protein then a moisture treatment when I do not go out anywhere.

kitschy
August 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Your hair is still curly but I know what you mean. I just uploaded a new signature picture and my curls are disappearing too. I already HAVE layers.

I guess the secret is being happy with whatever you have, and treating it well, and wearing it proudly!

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Your hair is still curly but I know what you mean. I just uploaded a new signature picture and my curls are disappearing too. I already HAVE layers.

I guess the secret is being happy with whatever you have, and treating it well, and wearing it proudly!

What she said. I can't bold that last paragraph on my phone.

Kitschy, you're still curly. I see the difference between this sig and last sig, and they both look great, curl drag be damned, lol.

kitschy
August 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Kitschy, you're still curly. I see the difference between this sig and last sig, and they both look great, curl drag be damned, lol.

The funny thing is, before I found NC.com and LHC I would have given anything to have more relaxed curls....but darned it! I want my curls back.

I was shooting for hip length, but I'm rethinking. Maybe I'll maintain at waist for awhile - cut off what's left of my damage, perhaps do a little re-layering and see how it goes.

Then again maybe not.:eyebrows:

racrane
August 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
It's curly. Take it from someone who is wavy. :D

Mesmerise
August 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Well your hair may not be AS curly, but to say it's "not curly" is quite wrong. It's definitely still in the 3s - definitely not in the 2s at all.

Now, the problem here seems to be that your friend said your hair wasn't curly... but really, it has to be about what YOU think of your hair, and not your friend!! When you look in the mirror do you like the way your hair looks?? Are you more attatched to curl or length? As others have said, maybe putting in some layers will help.

I think you really need to consider how you'd feel if your friend hadn't commented on your hair at all, though. Sometimes, we place too much emphasis on what others say, when it's more important to consider how WE feel!

I've had people say things to me like "oh, you looked better with short hair" or whatever, and really I have to consider "do I care about what they say, or do I care about what I want?"

Gosh, I once had a friend who told me I had dead straight hair when it wasn't permed (I had a perm at the time), and I tried arguing with her that I didn't, but she flat out insisted I had dead straight hair. Which is really weird... because I don't... lol. And for some reason, I let this bother me even though it wasn't true.

Jader_Jem
August 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I have the problem of the longer my hair gets the fuzzier it gets so I keep layers in it and it helps alot :)

gthlvrmx
August 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Don't listen to your friend, i can assure you the best advice can be found here on LHC or on some other good hairsites from other folks who care for hair (especially curly heads)
As a curly head, i say you are curlier than me. :) So chill. But if you want those spirals, i also suggest checking for any kind of build-up on your hair (mineral, product) and get that out, it weighs down curls. Club soda helps a lot for mineral build up, plus clarifying, ACV rinse and doing the nice combo of protein/moisture treatment afterwards helped bring out my tubes ;)

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Well your hair may not be AS curly, but to say it's "not curly" is quite wrong. It's definitely still in the 3s - definitely not in the 2s at all.

Now, the problem here seems to be that your friend said your hair wasn't curly... but really, it has to be about what YOU think of your hair, and not your friend!! When you look in the mirror do you like the way your hair looks?? Are you more attatched to curl or length? As others have said, maybe putting in some layers will help.

I think you really need to consider how you'd feel if your friend hadn't commented on your hair at all, though. Sometimes, we place too much emphasis on what others say, when it's more important to consider how WE feel!

I've had people say things to me like "oh, you looked better with short hair" or whatever, and really I have to consider "do I care about what they say, or do I care about what I want?"

Gosh, I once had a friend who told me I had dead straight hair when it wasn't permed (I had a perm at the time), and I tried arguing with her that I didn't, but she flat out insisted I had dead straight hair. Which is really weird... because I don't... lol. And for some reason, I let this bother me even though it wasn't true.

Thank you and I am trying not to be as sensetive. I love both length and curls :( But I feel it is curly and will try to maintain it in good condittion. Plus I always remember my guys and girls here on LHC :D you guys are the best support.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Don't listen to your friend, i can assure you the best advice can be found here on LHC or on some other good hairsites from other folks who care for hair (especially curly heads)
As a curly head, i say you are curlier than me. :) So chill. But if you want those spirals, i also suggest checking for any kind of build-up on your hair (mineral, product) and get that out, it weighs down curls. Club soda helps a lot for mineral build up, plus clarifying, ACV rinse and doing the nice combo of protein/moisture treatment afterwards helped bring out my tubes ;)

hehe thanks :) and I will try the club soda thing. I do not think I have build up because I shampooed tuesday with a sulfate-free shampoo.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have the problem of the longer my hair gets the fuzzier it gets so I keep layers in it and it helps alot :)
I have heard of doing layers but would not be able to stand it. My sister had beautiful hair 1c-2b hair in layers and I see it can be annoying. I do not get the fuzzies, but will think of a good cut.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 05:50 PM

Do you think layers makes your hair curlier?
I am so proud because in school everyone wants to straighten my hair but I run away :cool:, but I like being different from my relaxed,straightening,permed friends hairs :). My curly hair makes me unique I guess.

McFearless
August 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Your hair is super curly. Your friend is just so used to you have shorter hair.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Your hair is super curly. Your friend is just so used to you have shorter hair.

I had bsl freshman year, now I am a sophmore with waist curly hair. My friend has seen me with hair up to sholuder when we were kids.

ladonna
August 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Your hair is very curly.
My hair was straightish like in my avatar pic, but now it shoulder length and layered it's suddenly super curly. I'm jealous because I can only have short curly hair and you have long curl's.

paintedhorse
August 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM
dont listen to her your hair is beautiful she probably didnt mean it like you took it people who dont have long hair dont understand our attachment to our hair its almost spiritual

emelnd
August 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Your hair is super curly and pretty. I don't know what your friend is talking about...

darkwaves
August 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Your hair is what curly hair like yours looks like as it gets longer.

It's still curly!

Long curly hair simply looks different from the same curly hair when it's short. That doesn't mean your hair type has changed or you need to re-type it.

(And I hope you don't, because the result will be really misleading for anyone looking to see what certain types look like when they grow long!)

Every curly has to find her own happy medium on the curls vs length spectrum.

Agreed. Mine is now TBL, and there's far less visible curl than when it was above waist.

Yes! Exactly! Figure out what you are happiest with! Cut if you need to, and enjoy it!

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Your hair is what curly hair like yours looks like as it gets longer.

It's still curly!

Long curly hair simply looks different from the same curly hair when it's short. That doesn't mean your hair type has changed or you need to re-type it.

(And I hope you don't, because the result will be really misleading for anyone looking to see what certain types look like when they grow long!)

Agreed. Mine is now TBL, and there's far less visible curl than when it was above waist.

Yes! Exactly! Figure out what you are happiest with! Cut if you need to, and enjoy it!

Interestingly, I'm a proponent of changing hairtype as needed with length. If you have chin length 3B and classic length 2C, I feel that the type should reflect that. It gets confusing to see all these types that don't match with any pictures.

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm confused about the hair-typing thing to be honest.

Is the purpose so people can look at examples of the hair-type, or is it meant to be useful in determining how to properly care for your hair? My hair gets *straighter* when it gets longer, but it doesn't get any less porous or prone to frizzing at the sight of a brush as I go. And honestly, I see a lot more pictures of braid waves, and straightened hair, or just 'manipulated' hair than I do air-dried loose.

Also, personally speaking, I would rather see what happens to 3C hair, as it gets longer, (the range of possibility there) and with braid waves and straightened and etc. than hair that LOOKS like 3c all the time, if you follow.

Not snarky, just some confusion and a random opinion.

elbow chic
August 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've always wondered about that, whether "official" hairtype changes with length. My DD is definitely 3a or maybe even 3b, with her little pixie 'do but I like to keep hers short because I'm afraid if it grows out it'll pull all those luscious delicious sproingies out.

(sorry curlies, I'm busting in with random non sequiturs.)

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I've always wondered about that, whether "official" hairtype changes with length. My DD is definitely 3a or maybe even 3b, with her little pixie 'do but I like to keep hers short because I'm afraid if it grows out it'll pull all those luscious delicious sproingies out.

(sorry curlies, I'm busting in with random non sequiturs.)

I am spamming like a spamming thing tonight, but:

Just make sure she knows it's curly when it grows out? Mine was curly as a toddler. It lost the curl when it grew out and for the next 30 odd years I treated it like defective straight hair.

...Didn't work out well.

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm confused about the hair-typing thing to be honest.

Is the purpose so people can look at examples of the hair-type, or is it meant to be useful in determining how to properly care for your hair? My hair gets *straighter* when it gets longer, but it doesn't get any less porous or prone to frizzing at the sight of a brush as I go. And honestly, I see a lot more pictures of braid waves, and straightened hair, or just 'manipulated' hair than I do air-dried loose.

Also, personally speaking, I would rather see what happens to 3C hair, as it gets longer, (the range of possibility there) and with braid waves and straightened and etc. than hair that LOOKS like 3c all the time, if you follow.

Not snarky, just some confusion and a random opinion.

Both, I suppose. Curl typing in the 3s is curl sized dependent. If your pen sized curls (3c) expanded to Sharpie sized curls (3b) with length, then you have different hair types at different lengths. It's well established that a 2c can go up to a 3a with more length, and no one questions that. It should work the other way around as well.

As for posting braid wave pics for typing, well, that's just deceptive. Posting a braid wave pic in an album, where the pic isn't labeled as a typing photo, that's not deceptive.

Hair type is fluid. It can change just like some can change their porosity with different types of care. But, unlike porosity, people get unneccesairily attached to what number and letter they are.

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
As for posting braid wave pics for typing, well, that's just deceptive. Posting a brief wave pic in an album, where the pic isn't labeled as a typing photo, that's not deceptive.

For clarity, I didn't mean typing pics - I just meant searching for pics. I thought you mentioned wanting to see 3a pics (for example) and getting confused at some of the pics you saw. I was just trying to point out that both weight and styling have a big effect on what you see when you're looking at pictures. I didn't mean to imply anyone was being deceptive.

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
For clarity, I didn't mean typing pics - I just meant searching for pics. I thought you mentioned wanting to see 3a pics (for example) and getting confused at some of the pics you saw. I was just trying to point out that both weight and styling have a big effect on what you see when you're looking at pictures. I didn't mean to imply anyone was being deceptive.

I'm more confused at people posting a type and *none* of their pics show their chosen type. To me, it indicates incorrect typing. I understand a 3 having a 1 looking updo in an avatar. I don't find that confusing. I do find it confusing if a 3a has 50 photos in her album, and none of them look 3a, unless she stated that she got it relaxed or BKT'd or something along those lines. Uptyping is common enough here that I just figure that the theoretical 50 picture person doesn't have her correct type listed.

BeckyAH
August 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm more confused at people posting a type and *none* of their pics show their chosen type. To me, it indicates incorrect typing. I understand a 3 having a 1 looking updo in an avatar. I don't find that confusing. I do find it confusing if a 3a has 50 photos in her album, and none of them look 3a, unless she stated that she got it relaxed or BKT'd or something along those lines. Uptyping is common enough here that I just figure that the theoretical 50 picture person doesn't have her correct type listed.

Do you think that's intentional, wishful thinking, or not just getting it? I mean obviously some disparity exists (people within a hair-typing thread rarely agree unanimously, even, though granted it's only sometimes that you get a LOT of different answers, or a near even split of a couple), but I'm obviously new and haven't paid enough attention to really notice.

cuddledumplin
August 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well, judging from your photos, your hair is definately curly. However, you may have to give up some curl for length. I'm a curly when short, and a wavy when long. My hair has never had the degree of curl yours does though, and all hair is different.

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Do you think that's intentional, wishful thinking, or not just getting it? I mean obviously some disparity exists (people within a hair-typing thread rarely agree unanimously, even, though granted it's only sometimes that you get a LOT of different answers, or a near even split of a couple), but I'm obviously new and haven't paid enough attention to really notice.

I think some is just error, some just 'see' it differently (as we see in typing threads), and some just 'want' to be a certain type and are stuck on it.

dulce
August 25th, 2011, 08:53 PM
It looks curly to me still.

redcelticcurls
August 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The funny thing is, before I found NC.com and LHC I would have given anything to have more relaxed curls....but darned it! I want my curls back.

I was shooting for hip length, but I'm rethinking. Maybe I'll maintain at waist for awhile - cut off what's left of my damage, perhaps do a little re-layering and see how it goes.

Then again maybe not.:eyebrows:

Yeah, I always wanted straight hair until I figured out that my curls can actually look nice.

Sometimes I still think of going chin length. Such a great curl pattern at that length, but a pain to grow out.

Mesmerise
August 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Interestingly, I'm a proponent of changing hairtype as needed with length. If you have chin length 3B and classic length 2C, I feel that the type should reflect that. It gets confusing to see all these types that don't match with any pictures.

I sort of agree with this too! My hair is certainly curlier when it's shorter, and if I'd joined LHC with shoulder length hair, I'd probably have been typed as at least 2b, maybe 2c. Once my hair is really long, it will probably be back to 1c. It is what it is at the time it's being typed! Also, if I had layers it would show more wave as well!!

longcurlygirl<3
August 26th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Well, judging from your photos, your hair is definately curly. However, you may have to give up some curl for length. I'm a curly when short, and a wavy when long. My hair has never had the degree of curl yours does though, and all hair is different. I know, but the longest I might go is up to hip.

30isthenewblack
August 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM

I agree with this. Unfortunately, the length of the hair will affect a lot of curlies including me. My hair has straightened out as it's grown and also due to henna. You need to work out whether your priorities are curl formation or length but layers may be a good compromise for you :)

Lianna
August 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
In your sig picture looks like really small waves BUT I can definally see the spirals here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8421&pictureid=109643 (and some other pics close up)

3b for sure.

Jeni
August 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I have stick straight hair so I don't know all the ins and outs of curly/wavy hair but to me, at least in pic 4 in your "curls" album the bottom looks curly to me but from the neck/shoulders (? hard to tell you have A LOT of hair! Jealous!!) I would call it wavy.

I think its like asking what blond hair means, everyone has a different opinion of what it is.