PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun help!

Yame
August 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
So, I just tried doing sock buns using this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

And I completely failed! Past a certain point (once I get it to my shoulders), I just can't roll the sock up anymore. Maybe my hair is just too thick for the sock? Or... maybe the sock is too small for my hair? Because her pony tails definitely look thicker than mine. What could I use instead, if that's the problem?

Also, throughout the whole process, a lot of shorter strands keep popping out, so the bun looks really messy and weird. That seems to be a problem with most of my buns, because I have a lot of shorter hairs all over (not layers), but it's especially pronounced when I try to make a sock bun.

My hair overall really does NOT want to get into the sock and it's very hard to keep it there! perhaps because it's so coarse?

And, finally, this whole thing doesn't seem to be very good for the hair. I see a lot of potential for breakage. I've been really careful in my attempt, and had to be even more careful to unroll the socks afterwards... so it won't be a regular hairstyle, but I'd like to be able to do it just so I can wear it as a novelty once in a blue moon.

So, any suggestions? Is this style just a no-no for my hair type? Please help!

Oh, and here is a photo of my attempt (this is the point past which I just can't roll the sock up anymore) for your comedic amusement:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3815/31735210150782547425118.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/31735210150782547425118.jpg/)

SilverMcFly17
August 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I too have recently become a sock bun enthusiast. Although it doesn't look like I have as much hair as you. You lucky duck. I would try to do it with half the amount you have on one side just to see if it will do it. I had to play with it a lot and just keep rolling when it felt like it didn't want to anymore. Lots of trial and error is the only advice I can give you. But it does produce a pretty wave when you pull it out after wearing it all day.

Sunshineliz
August 25th, 2011, 09:10 AM
:laugh: I have no good advice, but had to say I love the look on your face. Priceless.

I hope someone can help you out.:blossom:

littlenvy
August 25th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Looks to me like you need a wider sock. Something that will have a bigger inner circle. A man's sock? And don't use all of it, just half. That will make it bigger and thinner.

:) I would love to see the final product. If you can post the final pic that would be great. The way its heading its going to look great!

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
May I suggest trying some of piggy's sockbun tips for straighties? (^(oo)^)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=82518

Arya
August 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Your socks are too small/too tight!
Use a stretchier weave, like gym socks.

I use fingerless knit gloves, and they work like a charm.

SoulOfTheSea
August 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
This happens to me as well! Can't wait to see advice. :D

Blandine
August 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Get one of those bun thingies that have a snap-fastener at both ends so it can be closed to form a ring. Much easier to roll up the hair. (Make a ponytail, roll hair round the straight thing first, and then close the ring and distribute the hair equally around it.)

No idea what they are called in English, sorry...

P.S. The photo is adorable!

Jader_Jem
August 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I used one of my DH's socks and he has huge feet lol so I only had a problem keeping it up and tight once I got it up lol, think thats where boby pins would come in handy :)

faithsdaisy421
August 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
May I suggest trying some of piggy's sockbun tips for straighties? (^(oo)^)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=82518
I have not seen this before! Thanks for sharing :)

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Your socks are too small/too tight!
Use a stretchier weave, like gym socks.

I use fingerless knit gloves, and they work like a charm.

How coincidental - I use the sleeves cut from an old knitted sweater (^(oo)^)

Mrspuddinhead
August 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Wow!! Maybe I've been doing it wrong all along. I don't even use bobby pins just rubber bands. I simple put my hair in a pony tail and secure with rubber bands. I then slide the doughnut close to my scalp and divide the pony into two sections. I take the 1st section and spread it out to cover the top half of the doughnut and secure with a rubber band. Repeat with the second half. I then take the ends gently twist them around the bun, tuck in the end and secure with a rubber band. I find it stays in place and plus you don't have bobby pins sticking in your head. Does anyone else do it this way??

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Wow!! Maybe I've been doing it wrong all along. I don't even use bobby pins just rubber bands. I simple put my hair in a pony tail and secure with rubber bands. I then slide the doughnut close to my scalp and divide the pony into two sections. I take the 1st section and spread it out to cover the top half of the doughnut and secure with a rubber band. Repeat with the second half. I then take the ends gently twist them around the bun, tuck in the end and secure with a rubber band. I find it stays in place and plus you don't have bobby pins sticking in your head. Does anyone else do it this way??

I think this is actually the original way of doing a sock bun - if you watch the Loepsie video, she explains that she came up with her method as a way to hide her excess length inside the bun, in lieu of wrapping it 'round the outside (^(oo)^)v

Yame
August 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll play around with some of these tips when I get a chance. I'll follow up with results, if I'm able to actually get a decent sock bun done!

Kricket
August 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I hate sock buns for the reason there is so much extra hair that doesn't tuck well and ruins the neat look, but I'm going to have to look into this.

That said, my experience with sock buns -- we have similar hair types -- is that my hair is too smooth and too thick for it to stay for more than a half hour. After that even with pins my hair fights being bent like that and it ruins the neat and tidy look.

Nicolesid1
August 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I make sure to remove any knots to help the bun. Also I do mine pretty loose more messy buns that the tight buns. It works well and looks good

Blandine
August 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Don't all those rubber bands cause a lot of damage? The mere idea makes me cringe.

Mrspuddinhead
August 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think this is actually the original way of doing a sock bun - if you watch the Loepsie video, she explains that she came up with her method as a way to hide her excess length inside the bun, in lieu of wrapping it 'round the outside (^(oo)^)v

Ohhhh.....ok. I'll have to look into her method as well. Thanks luxepiggy. :)

Mrspuddinhead
August 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Don't all those rubber bands cause a lot of damage? The mere idea makes me cringe.

Actually they don't. I wear my hair in a pony everyday and my hair is quite healthy. I don't color or bleach, I don't use heating elements or any other harmful products so I see no harm in using rubber bands. There are worse things one could do to their hair is there not?? I can use as little as two rubber bands when making this bun and it works just fine with little or no harm.

jojo
August 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Ive had this problem too, use a tight leg (panty hose) cut from the top, it works great!

Love the sad face ha ha!!

Kelikea
August 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
What kind of socks did you use to make the donut? I tried one using the tops of my husband's crew socks. That bun was the size of my head. Then I tried making one out of women's nylon dress socks(thinner, softer) but they didn't stretch enough or hold tight enough, and couldn't roll up my whole ponytail.