PDA

View Full Version : Which fork should I get?

Spacescape
August 24th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm looking into getting one of the U-shaped plain metal forks like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/78081825/quattro-hair-accessories-starlites)or this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/79785041/hair-fork-hair-fork-hair-fork-artemis-5?ref=sr_list_40&ga_search_query=aluminum+hair+fork&ga_view_type=list&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade). I know Quattro is well-recommended on here, but the RavensLair fork is cheaper--but I don't want to get the cheaper fork and then have it be poor quality compared with the Quattro forks. Does anyone have experience with ordering from RavensLair? Or if anyone has another favorite source for similar forks, I'd love to see it!

Alvrodul
August 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I have forks from both sellers, and am pleased with both. The Quattro forks and sticks have a surface treatment that supposedly will make it easier for them to stay in the hair, and Raven's don't but I have not had any problems with the Ravenslair forks sliding out.
I have bought quite a number of Ravenslair forks, and I am positively addicted to her decorated Amish pins. I have not not as many of the Quattro toys, but they are quite nice in an understated way.
IMO you are quite safe with both sellers - but I must say that Raven has the better customer service of the two! :)

islandboo
August 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I also have forks from both (although only the Ravenslair fork is plain, the Quattros are topped). The Ravenslair is very high quality and as Alvrodul said, Raven is wonderful to work with. I think you would be perfectly happy with the Quattro, but I think you would also be perfectly happy with the Ravenslair fork (and maybe put the extra money to a pair of those delightful Amish pins Alvrodul mentioned!)

McFearless
August 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have a pack of Raven's 3-inch pins and they work great. My updos don't come undone or even sag by the end of the day. Customer service can make or break an experience, regardless of the product's quality. I'm can say Raven excels in both, shes a sweet person.

Spacescape
August 24th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Okay, I just ordered the RavensLair fork :) Can't wait to play with it!

And I took a look at the other things in her shop--yes those Amish pins look awesome! I also fell in love with a spiral titanium hair stick... fortunately for my bank account I was able to resist its lure, but I don't know how long that will last, haha.

bunzfan
August 25th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I just got my first Ravenslair fork to and just love it:) will be getting more they all look so beautiful.

eegabeeva
August 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I have a mairzydozy's copper slim hair fork, and I love it!!! but I would like to take someone waterproof...are these ok for wet/soaking hair?
Thanks! :)

Spacescape
August 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM
The fork came today! :cheese:<--That little guy describes how I feel about it, haha. It's beautiful, and it's really lightweight. Tonight I was just playing around with it, and it seemed to stay in pretty well. Tomorrow will be the trial by fire during a full day of school and work. Thanks again for the advice, everyone!

eegabeeva, I think I've heard that a lot of metal forks are waterproof... maybe someone with more hair-fork experience can say for certain? I don't know very much about hair toys, but I make jewelry and I think copper would probably cope with wet hair quite well. It might develop a patina, but it wouldn't swell or crack or anything like that. Now if the fork is painted or coated, then you might have to be careful--the paint may not like water too much.