PDA

View Full Version : how to clean your pipes?!

Stub
August 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I've been CO and using heavy amounts of conditioner otherwise also in recent months (because I bleached my hair) and it is causing build-up in my 60-yr old drain pipes. How on earth can I clean it?? I tried foaming drain cleaners, which are supposed to stick to and clean pipe walls, and I keep the hair plugs out of the trap, but if I stick my finger in the drain I can feel about 1/8" buildup (or more) on the pipe walls, even right after drain cleaner. I've also tried baking soda/vinegar followed by boiling water. What to do??

(also, mods, sorry if this is the wrong place, wasn't quite sure where to post it. Feel free to move, thanks!)

Cainwen
August 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow, drain cleaner isn't doing anything?

This is kinda off the wall, but have you tried to see if anything makes your conditioner break down? Take a little bit and start mixing it with stuff. For example, the conditioner I use will turn to water if I mix it with a particular shampoo. If you find something, try diluting it in a shallow bath's worth of water, let that drain down, and then I'd follow by boiling water and the drain cleaner again for good measure.

Ligeia_13
August 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You could try coca cola :D My mum used it to clean her toilet when nothing else would.

ratgirldjh
August 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I had this problem recently from using a lot of oils in my bath and sink! It just got slower and slower!!! I tried baking soda followed by vinegar which helped - but it wasn't until I got some SLS dish soap and started using it in my sink that all of a sudden it got a lot better! (usually I just use soap to wash dishes).

Now when I have this problem I just squirt some of the SLS soap down the drain! I would think it would work for conditioner build up too since it is oil based.

spidermom
August 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Beware of drain cleaners. My husband the plumber says that anything strong enough to eat through gunk is strong enough to eat through the glue that holds the pipe together. Plus they can react with other chemicals and explode back up in your face (or your plumber's face, resulting in a lawsuit).

Dishwashing liquid is good for removing grease, as ratgirldjh pointed out. Also laundry detergent; run a lot of hot water.

SilverMcFly17
August 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I've heard that pouring hot vinegar will help. Once a week, any kind. Good luck!!

ange1ito
August 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I use http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-264-Amo-Kleen-Knock-Out-Drain-Cleaner-1Ltr.html
It is pretty good but beware of splash back's, don't get carried away with pouring in loads as it bubbles up and may stain the area around the plughole. I use it in the bath as I oil evry few days and usually aplly gallons of condish too. I founf pouring it into a small jug a pouring drops in working better than poring it directly from the bottle.

LD224
August 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Drain Cleaner is nasty stuff. I use baking soda and boiling water. Pour a box of baking soda down the drain and follow it with a kettle or two of boiling (or at least very very hot) water. It keeps the drains free and also helps with lingering odor. Good luck!

rusika1
August 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Get some enzymes designed to keep drains clear. I think you add them once a week or once a month--something like that.

Lilli
August 25th, 2011, 07:15 AM
The baking soda/vinegar works well if you cover the drain and leave it overnight - that forces it down the drain rather than up.

tigereye
August 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I second the coca cola idea. It cleans ANYTHING. Honestly it kind of puts me off drinking it.

Stub
August 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I did get some liquid Rid-X for my septic system, maybe I'll pour some of that in the drain and see if it eats conditioner too. Otherwise, dish soap, more baking soda, vinegar and boiling water! (I didn't use a lot before) I had heard somewhere that some drain cleaners can cause stuff stuck to the pipe walls to turn to basically cement. I've also wondered about boiling water dissolving the glue in the pipes.

faithsdaisy421
August 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Beware of drain cleaners. My husband the plumber says that anything strong enough to eat through gunk is strong enough to eat through the glue that holds the pipe together. Plus they can react with other chemicals and explode back up in your face (or your plumber's face, resulting in a lawsuit).

Dishwashing liquid is good for removing grease, as ratgirldjh pointed out. Also laundry detergent; run a lot of hot water.
That gives me the creeps! Thanks for the heads up :)

Ann Marie
August 25th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I use an enzyme cleaner once a week...

I don't know the name off hand...but it comes in a powder(mix with warm water) do not use toilet/tub/sink for 6 hours. there is also a liquid version....many brands carry these

They are basically little bacteria that love to munch on all that goo you wash down the drain! Does not dissolve hair though... ....I use a wire mesh drain catch for that.

Get your pipes perfectly clean first....then use once a week....I like to do it after a bath when the pipes are still warm.....

No plumbing problems...I have the old steel pipes...
I did have some bad clogs and was using liquid plumber once every 2 months....

Now I have not had a clog for years...in the tub....

I had one in the kitchen sink..I used a chlorine tablet from the swimming pool....dropped it on top of a wire mesh drain catch...and it just dissolved all the gunk in the sink...It did this by slowly dissolving every time I ran the water...

I don't treat the sink as often as the tub...so that is why I got the clog....
Once a week and you are good...I choose a day...for example... Saturday so I won't forget....:cool:

jeanniet
August 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Stub, if you have a septic system and are using a lot of conditioner, it may have a negative affect on your system and you may even need to pump more often. It's one reason I moved away from commercial conditioners and mostly use an herbal rinse now. You might want to contact the company that does your pumping and see what they say. If you're using enough to get a buildup in your pipes, you probably have a buildup in your tank as well.

Stub
August 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well, yeah, I WAS worried about that, but we are getting sewer this year and will be forced to connect so there will only be one more pump out. (they JUST got done tearing up my yard laying the pipe!) I really did prefer the BS/ACV routine but after the bleach it just wasn't doing the job and I was breaking a lot of hair detangling. So conditioner it is until the damage grows out.