PDA

View Full Version : My first fishtail!

Turtle
August 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm so excited! I just completed my first fishtail braid. I've always admired them on other people, but never really been able to figure out how to do them on myself. But yesterday I found a tutorial (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/make-a-splash-with-a-fishtail-braid-2530665/) that made sense to me, and decided to try it out on my own hair. I love the result! I'm very excited to see what kind of braid waves I'll get when I take it down tomorrow.

Anyone else love fishtail braids? Have any tips on different styles that incorporate them? I'd love to hear!

Can't post attachments yet, so here's a link to my album.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8529

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
wow! its really gorgeous! i love your hair! cant wait until i get to your length :) and do a braid like that! I cant even do a french braid yet lol! maybe it will be easier to acheive when my hair is longer i hope!!

invisiblebabe
August 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM
You have a beautiful profile and lovely skin! I also really like the braid and the flowered clip you used. Where'd you find the clip? :)

Animae
August 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Very pretty!!!

I love doing my hair in pigtail fishtail braids, but I have to plan ahead if I want to do it because it takes so long:)

pepperminttea
August 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
That looks lovely on you, great job. :)

racrane
August 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I get the idea of it, but my fingers are really clumsy right now. I'm hoping with practive they'll get better. I love fishtail braids. :)

Turtle
August 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
annieangel149, the fishtail was surprisingly easy once I got used to the pattern. You should try a french braid! After some practice, it's such a good style. A bit of advice, try maybe pulling hair from the sides of your head instead of the top for a french braid? It works better for me that way. I'll try to post a pic sometime. (:

invisiblebabe, thanks. I go the clip from a Claire's store for about $4. I love putting flowers in my hair, real ones or synthetic!

Animae, it does take a long time! But it's such a unique looking braid, I really think it's worth the extra few minutes.

Thank you, pepperminttea! I love wearing braids. They work so well for casual or formal.

I hear ya about clumsy fingers, racrane. It took me a while to get my brain out of french braid mode!

serious
August 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, it's stunning!!!!

pink.sara
August 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thats so pretty! I love how your hemline is blunt but pulling it to one side makes it taper like that.
Gorgeous!

swetiepeti
August 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM
quite lovely. I always admire them on other people, but I've never mastered one on myself.

spidermom
August 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
A fishtail didn't give my hair any waves at all; it tended to pull it straight, pretty much.
I haven't done one in a long time.

slz
August 24th, 2011, 02:13 PM
but I have to plan ahead if I want to do it because it takes so long:)
This !! I love fishtail braids, but I almost never do any because they're such a pain to do - and to undo, too. Too bad since 99% of the time my hair is braided, so I'd love a fishtail from time to time for a change.
To the OP : gorgeous braid, you said it took time for you to get the hang of it, but don't you think in the end it's less complicated than a plain 3 strand english ? Less finger twisting and all.

Turtle
August 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks, serious! (:

pink.sara, my braids all taper out thin like that. I think it might have something to do with having a fairy tale hemline, and my habit of braiding as far down as I can possibly go. Btw, love your pugs! They're cuties.

swetiepeti, thanks. I've always loved the way they look, it's really fun to be able to do one on myself.

I'm impatient to see how mine turns out, spidermom. You've got me curious now! My hair is almost never anything resembling straight, so if this braid had that effect then I'd have an effective straightening method lol.

slz, it actually was easier than an English braid once I got past the first few strands. It's a very different way to braid, but as long as I focused on keeping my strands tight it wasn't very difficult.

bunzfan
August 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Wow on your hair it looks beautiful at that length. Well done:D

Kathie
August 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Oh, I like! I've tried to do one a couple of times but just dont have the technique down yet :(

Slinks
August 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
:-) you did well for your first try !!

newbeginning
August 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It looks very neat especially for a first try.

oktobergoud
August 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
It looks amazing! And woah your hair is pretty!

Toadstool
August 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Your hair is so pretty! Inspirationally so :-)

ericthegreat
August 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM
That's not bad for a first attempt. Keep practicing on the herringbone braid more and more, and eventually you'll learn how to better anchor the braid toward the center.

Turtle
August 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Thank you all! I'll definitely be trying this braid more in the future. Practice makes prettier! Btw, braided it to the side on purpose, I wanted it to hang over one shoulder.

bluequeequeg
August 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I love side braids, they frame my face and give me the feeling that I'm wearing my hair down without worrying about it being all over the place.

Evalea
August 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Turtle,
I would say that I like it, but that would only serve to stroke your vanity.
It looks better in real life :)

(We're sisters:D)

cuddledumplin
August 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
That's very pretty.

Gumball
August 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Oh wow! You did a phenomenal job, especially for a first try. Your braid looks great. :agree:

dRummie
August 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
It looks great! I agree, especially for a first time, that's impressive :)

Quetiepi
August 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Being a newbie, I'm not able to open the link to your picture. I have to post a few more times!

SusanSt
August 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM
That is lovely! I've tried a couple of times, but can't get mine very even yet. I think it's such pretty look, so am going to keep practicing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Yame
August 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Wow! That looks really cool... nice job! That made me want to try to make one, but I totally failed :(

katienoonan
August 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Beautiful! It's the sleekest I've ever seen! xxx