PDA

View Full Version : Weird flyaway hairs half way down length of hair

destinyeternity
August 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I've got this mad problem with my hair at the moment, it's almost BSL and I have these sort of flyaway shorter hairs about halfway down the length of my hair. You can only see these in certain lights but it's bugging me as to what they are as I don't use permanent dyes or use dryers or straighteners on my hair much, just wondering if anyone can advise what they are and how to stop them :confused:

spidermom
August 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Those are newer hairs. We all have them. Every day hairs reach the end of their growth cycles and shed out. Every day new hairs grow in. So we've all got hairs of all lengths.

It shows up in some hair types more than others.

pepperminttea
August 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ditto what Spidermom said. You can use things to help weigh them down though, like a leave-in conditioner, aloe vera gel, or a light oiling. :)

MychelleC
August 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
It could be newer hair, but it could very likely be breakage. Do you wear twists or ponytails a lot? I get breakage right at the spot where my hair initially twists to go into a bun, and where the elastic goes for ponytails and such (same spot). Deep condition once a week, apply a light leave-in conditioner daily, and be careful with how you wear your hair. Try not to do the same style or put pressure on the same spot every day. HTH!

destinyeternity
August 25th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Thank you all for advice.:)
MychelleC: Yes I have my hair in a ponytail most days and sometimes put my hair in a bun. I use a scrunchie to put my hair up. The shorter hairs are about where I put it up and my hair is quite fine on the top of head (funnily enough by the nape of my neck it's quite a coarse texture) I think I will try a light leave in conditioner each day though and see if there is an improvement.

BittSweetCherry
August 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
It's possibly a combination of new growth and damage. Doing the same hairstyle daily will place stress on the same strands, in the same place, until they break; however, if these flyaways are appearing around the ponytail band or start of your bun it could simply be that these hairs are temporarily kinked by the style you've used, making them stick out conspicuously.

Take a close look at the ends of the flyaways in that zone: splits and white dots mean it is a hairstyling issue; tapered ends and no/very few splits and dots suggest it's just kinked new growth.

luxepiggy
August 26th, 2011, 03:10 AM
If the flyaways are all concentrated at one particular area, I'm inclined to suspect breakage rather than new growth. It may help to add some variety to your styling routine, in order to reduce repetitive wear & tear.