PDA

View Full Version : itchy scalp randomly?

longcurlygirl<3
August 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
My hair yesterday was a wash day and after it dried itched alot throughout the day, but randomly. I am not use to it like that. Then when I slept on a cold pillowcase it calm down.? By the way it happened once for a week I thought it was a conditioner from the dollar store it was europian but I through it away so I forgot the name.

Anyone have any suggestion what it could be? I will buy tea tree oil of Hollywood beauty after reading GRU thread about it.

Alvrodul
August 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Did you rinse well enough? I find that my scalp doesn't like conditioner, so when I do a SMT I make sure to rinse it all out really really well. And for ordinary washing, I only condition from the ears down.
I also tend to get the itchies after henna, since it does dry my scalp out. A bit of oil helps with that. Does your shampoo dry out your scalp? Are there ingredients in it that might irritate your skin?

My suggestion is that you first be sure you rinse rinse rinse really well. If you need it, add another round of conditioner on your length only. If this doesn't work, start taking a good, hard look at the ingredients!

MychelleC
August 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Look into the ingredients in the products you are using. Any common ingredients in the products that you are associating with itching? And I agree with rinsing thoroughly. Surfactant and such left behind on our scalp can cause itching.

Messyhair
August 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
When I have a random bout of itching, assuming I've been using the same S&C as always and I rinsed well, I just tell myself it's a growth spurt. :D Not sure if it's true or not, but I figure it's a bunch of new growth squiggling through the scalp, causing all of my itchies. ;)

longcurlygirl<3
August 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
When I have a random bout of itching, assuming I've been using the same S&C as always and I rinsed well, I just tell myself it's a growth spurt. :D Not sure if it's true or not, but I figure it's a bunch of new growth squiggling through the scalp, causing all of my itchies. ;)

hehe I will think of that next time ;)

And I use shea moisture shampoo :http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-organic-shea-butter-curl-%26-shine-shampoo/ID=prod6057764-product

I <3 this shampoo and I do not put conditioner on my scalp on from ears down to length and I rinse enough and then a cold rinse. My curls shouldn't really be rinse all off, but then I do put a leave-in after the shower, ears down.

paisley
August 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have terrible itches sometimes, and my theory is that it has something to do with the moisture. If the scalp is wet for a long time, maybe in combination with the weather? Also, if i don't comb my hair it starts to itch. So those days I do a heavy combing and let the hair loose.

BlazingHeart
August 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
When my scalp itches, I find a chamomile tea rinse to be really soothing, no matter what's causing the itching. If it's dryness, I also rub a little bit of coconut oil on my scalp.

~Blaze

defineinsanity
August 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
i had terrible itching the other day and discovered i'd actually burnt my hairline from the sun :L ...just a suggestion :P

Miss Maisie
August 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I get itchies, oddly enough, when the weather changes. It had been really hot here a few weeks back, and when we had a period of cooler weather last week my scalp itched liked crazy for a few days.

arielįgua
August 26th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I'm having itchy scalp for a long time, about 2 months, it's not a very strong itching, like that one in which you feel like being always scratching the scalp, but a light itching, I suppose is because of the new hair products I'm doing for hair loss, that the doctor prescribed me.
They might be causing a new reaction to the scalp, I'll have to get used to it...
I think oiling the scalp the night before washing might help...I used to do it, and made my scalp and hair feel really soft. :)

CurlyMopTop
August 26th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I get scalp itchies too. Using Giovanni Triple Tea Treat shampoo (only on my scalp) seems to help. I only use it when my scalp acts up. :)

Sahar24
August 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
First post - exciting :o)
I suffered for years and years with itchiness and dry/peeling scalp. I teach and I was constantly worried that the kids would think I had lice or something. I noticed that it seems to have totally stopped since I stopped using shampoo - thanks to the lovely folk at LHC. For a month now I have been CO washing and I am SO pleased with the results I can't describe it. Lots of positives - less hair shedding, shinier hair, softer hair and no itching at all. It may be something in your shampoo/conditioner that's annoying your scalp. I use a SLS/Paraben/Cone-free natural conditioner and would highly recommend!

longcurlygirl<3
August 26th, 2011, 03:08 PM
First post - exciting :o)
I suffered for years and years with itchiness and dry/peeling scalp. I teach and I was constantly worried that the kids would think I had lice or something. I noticed that it seems to have totally stopped since I stopped using shampoo - thanks to the lovely folk at LHC. For a month now I have been CO washing and I am SO pleased with the results I can't describe it. Lots of positives - less hair shedding, shinier hair, softer hair and no itching at all. It may be something in your shampoo/conditioner that's annoying your scalp. I use a SLS/Paraben/Cone-free natural conditioner and would highly recommend!

What is your conditioner? I also CO wash, and only shampoo once or every two weeks. It is just some damage itches on certain parts of my scalp.

longcurlygirl<3
August 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I get itchies, oddly enough, when the weather changes. It had been really hot here a few weeks back, and when we had a period of cooler weather last week my scalp itched liked crazy for a few days.

Hmm, could be this as well.

cheetahfast
August 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I used to get the scalp itches too. Now I add a few drops of tea tree oil into my castor oil/EVOO mix once a month, I only apply it to my scalp and put EVOO on my remaining length. It really helps. I think since I only CO wash sometimes I get build-up, I think I miss parts of my scalp when I massage the conditioner in and my sebum is thick (TMI). I see you sometimes shampoo so that's probably not what is causing your itching. Anyways, I think tea tree oil should help with the itches, just make sure to dilute it, if you use too much it gets very drying and can make your scalp feel worse...I made the mistake before of using it practically undiluted *shudders*

By the way your hair looks so beautiful in your siggy.