PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right to you?

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hubby's barber gave me a fine microtrim earlier in the summer. He took off only what I showed him. (Not told him - showed him!)

I went back to him to ask him a few questions, to get his advice.

(1) My hair is now BSL, but because it's so darn thin and fine, and because a female hairdresser cut layers into my hair two years ago, I have a severe V-hemline with fairytale endings. Fairytail endings look fine on some people with thicker hair, but they not only do not look good on my very thin & very fine hair... but they get in the way of my doing nice buns and a nice braid. The long tail doesn't look nice, and it makes buns and a braid look less nice. I wanted to trim a bit now off of just the longest layers in back, with the idea to move towards an eventual blunt hemline.

(2) I see no split ends, so I figured to ask him to just take maybe half an inch off. Literally.

The barber told me the following:

(1) Because my hair is so baby-fine and so darn thin, a blunt hemline won't look nice on me at all. He says it won't look blunt, for one thing, and for another, he says that my hair will just hang like a worn sheet that you can see right through if I do a blunt hemline.

(2) He says I will always need layers in my hair to make it hang in a wide-U shape - the best shape hemline, he says, for my type of hair. He says I can grow my hair into very long layers... the shortest layers being longer than flip length... maybe even APL... he'd have to wait and see how it grows out and looks before advising me on this exactly. He claims that a wide-U-shaped hemline would allow me to do the updo styles I want without the long tail (of my current V-shape hemlne) being a problem.

(3) He says that, while he doesn't really see much in the way of splits, my longest hair (the ends) are old enough that he recommends letting him at least micortrim them... preferably give a one-eighth or one-quarter inch trim. He says this is to prevent splits. He says that my oldest hair - the ends - aren't dry or damaged right now, but that they stand the most chance of splitting, just due to age..... and that they may split a lot higher - when they do split - than I will want to cut off. This would be pure prevention.

Is hubby's barber right?

Must I (or should I) go with the wide U hemline to achieve as close to what I want as possible for my hair?

Must (or should) I keep layers? Long layers?

HELP! Please!

Madora
August 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If you want to do updos, then one length hair is the easiest to work with!

I prefer blunt hemlines myself, but its your hair!

Themyst
August 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
A hairdresser told me years ago that layers would look terrible on me because my hair was so fine and thin ... how funny that two in the same profession can have such different opinions.

I think layers are better for shorter hair, maybe BSL and up. I don't think they work well with long hair. I imagine that barber is probably not accustomed to dealing with longer hair issues. :hmm:

Shelly
August 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Stephanie. I know very well what you are saying. My hair is also extremely thin and baby fine. I have kept my ends blunt for about 10 or so years. My ends are actually quite healthy. A few split ends but nothing real major. I agree that my hair also looks better with the blunt look on the ends. When it comes down to it, it is your hair. You're the one that has to take care of it daily so you do what you want to do with it.

ZeppHead
August 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I have baby fine hair too and I am trying to grow it out long again. I was told a blunt hemline is the way to go and will keep it looking thicker. So far I agree.

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
What about this "trim old hair before splits to avoid getting splits" issue?

florenonite
August 24th, 2011, 09:17 AM
(1) Because my hair is so baby-fine and so darn thin, a blunt hemline won't look nice on me at all. He says it won't look blunt, for one thing, and for another, he says that my hair will just hang like a worn sheet that you can see right through if I do a blunt hemline.

A lot of members here with fine and thin hair find that blunt hemlines look better than layers, as the layers just make it look thinner. He could be right about it not looking blunt, though. You have fairly curly hair, though, and IME that sort of hair never looks completely blunt or solid at the ends, anyway.

(2) He says I will always need layers in my hair to make it hang in a wide-U shape - the best shape hemline, he says, for my type of hair. He says I can grow my hair into very long layers... the shortest layers being longer than flip length... maybe even APL... he'd have to wait and see how it grows out and looks before advising me on this exactly. He claims that a wide-U-shaped hemline would allow me to do the updo styles I want without the long tail (of my current V-shape hemlne) being a problem.

I had waist-length hair with APL layers about a year ago, having had a waist-length blunt cut prior to that, and I did notice a distinct decrease in the styles I could do. Indeed, in terms of what I could do it was largely like being back at APL again.

I think it really depends on whether it's more important to do a variety of updos or for your hair to look nice down. If you're happy with only being able to do two or three buns, then you might be happier with your hair in layers (though as I said before I'm not convinced that layers would help with thin hair). If you want to be able to do a lot of buns and don't care so much for wearing it loose, then a blunt cut or fairytale ends (which you've mentioned you're not keen on in your hair) would be best.

I get the impression that you would prefer a blunt cut, though, so personally if it's a choice between the cut I want, which would allow me to do more styles and the cut that will impede styles but may or may not make it look nicer loose, I'd go for the former.

(3) He says that, while he doesn't really see much in the way of splits, my longest hair (the ends) are old enough that he recommends letting him at least micortrim them... preferably give a one-eighth or one-quarter inch trim. He says this is to prevent splits. He says that my oldest hair - the ends - aren't dry or damaged right now, but that they stand the most chance of splitting, just due to age..... and that they may split a lot higher - when they do split - than I will want to cut off. This would be pure prevention.

I'm not really buying that. I think if you're concerned about splits you're better off S&Ding them when they arise. In fact, I would have thought trimming is more likely to cause splits as you've now got a blunt end, whereas if you rarely trim your ends a fair few will likely be tapered.

pepperminttea
August 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't think you'd need to trim any more than you are already, even though the hair is older; if it's not split, then why worry? :)

I do agree on a U-hemline though. After having a blunt hemline for a while, it's really not the easiest for updos. Braids look great, with that short satisfying-stubby tassel, but because your ends are so thick they just do not tuck behind buns. I'd go with a very shallow U; with the shortest edges at the side maybe 2-3 inches shorter than the longest part of the hemline. Your braid tassel will be longer and a little more tapered, and that should make tucking easier than blunt.

In terms of how it would hang though, on thinner finer hair (let alone curly), I admit I have no idea. :hmm: Sorry!

Madora
August 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Trims (at least for me) are only every 3 months. And you only have to trim a small amount (depending, of course, on your hair's condition).

Trimming does prevent splits..and is necessary if you want to grow your hair long..and healthy.

spidermom
August 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
He gave you his opinion, but it's still your hair. Do what you want to do.

MychelleC
August 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I agree with your barber for the most part. A blunt or U-shape cut is a personal choice depending on the styles you want to create. Layers will work for every hair type if done well; they will thin out thick hair and give volume to fine hair. And while layering will limit what you can do with braids and buns, they do impart movement and make hair look more modern and stylish. So that is all about personal preference. But I agree 100% with trim, trim, trim! Just a little every 3 months or so. It makes such a difference. We don't see our hair from behind all day, and we don't see what others see. Keeping those ends nice keeps our hair looking healthy and is the only real way to treat/prevent dmage. Nothing worse than hair to your butt with split ends from the mid-back down!

PJ-Sander
August 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I imagine that barber is probably not accustomed to dealing with longer hair issues.

I agree with Themyst. *nods*

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Well... hubby may have figured out how to get all of my questions answered. lol

He asks me how much is it gonna set us back for me to go into the City (NYC) to Madora salon for a consultation... just for advice and answers. NOT for anything else that day... perhaps trim or other stuff at a later date, after plenty of thought.

Hubby says if they (at Madora) agree with his barber - then pay his barber the $12 for the trim, shut up and be happy that I have a barber who knows my hair well. Coz for sure it aint gonna cost no $12 at Madora. lol Hells bells, it costs us more than $12 just to get into the City via PATH (including parking fees in Newark)... more like $55-60 just to get to the upper east side from Jersey.

And, hubby says, if Madora gives conflicting advice than his barber, then go with what Madora people say. Then, we'll just have to save up for the future trim at Madora.

He says if we go in together on a Saturday, we can make a day of it. The salon, lunch or supper, maybe a Broadway show or something. make it worth the while trekking into the City, in other words.

MsBubbles
August 24th, 2011, 10:26 AM

That is his opinion. That's all. Not mine, and it's up to you what your opinion is on that. If you have waves, then perhaps a U-shaped hemline all the same length would look nice? I think it would, but again, that's just my opinion.

Themyst: Congrats on finding a hairdresser who knew what they were talking about regarding layers on fine, straight hair! And that's a great point...in my opinion, fine hair with a body wave looks great with layers. Fine, straight hair tends to not respond well at all to layers, especially 1a's.

I guess my hair hangs like a worn sheet!

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well... hubby may have figured out how to get all of my questions answered. lol

He asks me how much is it gonna set us back for me to go into the City (NYC) to Madora salon for a consultation... just for advice and answers. NOT for anything else that day... perhaps trim or other stuff at a later date, after plenty of thought.

I called the Madora / George Michael of Madison Avenue Salon. After chatting for ten minutes with whomever answered the phone and turns out to be a hair twin to me, we both agreed that I definitely need a consultation, and most likely need a trim. I then told the nice woman that I hand out on LHC and someone here once told me - about two years back - to try her stylist, Iris. The lady exclaimed in great surprise, "I'm Iris!!"

Only Iris doesn't work on Saturdays... So I made an appointment for Thursday, September 1st at 6:30pm. I'll meet hubby at work (closer to NYC than my house) and we can drive in together. Iris says that there's a parking place not far from the salon that doesn't cost too much, and if I call her the day before,- or the day of -,my appointment, she'll give me directions there.

The tolls are $12. Parking has got to be in the realm of $50 on the upper East side. The consultation and trim (if I need to get a trim) are ten times the barber's fee... but I get a Madora-trained hairstylist who is my hair twin! And she sounded fun on the telephone, too... :D

Shelly
August 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
A lot of members here with fine and thin hair find that blunt hemlines look better than layers, as the layers just make it look thinner. He could be right about it not looking blunt, though. You have fairly curly hair, though, and IME that sort of hair never looks completely blunt or solid at the ends, anyway.

This is very true. My hair looks quite thin at the ends. To look at them you may not be able to see where the ends actually are. That's ok and quite normal. I maintained my hair at TBL, trimming it about every 3 months or so but the look of the ends never changed. I've learned to accept the thin look on the ends. I know they are healthy and that's what matters. Yes, I have split ends but for hair like ours, split ends are a never ending battle. All we can do is be as gentle with our hair as we can, make sure it stays strong, and make sure it has plenty of the right moisture, and keep the split ends to a minimal.

ETA: I maintained TBL for about 3 years trying to make the ends look more solid.

Madora
August 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I called the Madora / George Michael of Madison Avenue Salon. After chatting for ten minutes with whomever answered the phone and turns out to be a hair twin to me, we both agreed that I definitely need a consultation, and most likely need a trim. I then told the nice woman that I hand out on LHC and someone here oncce tol me - about two years back - to try her stylist, Iris. The lady exclaimed in great surprise, "I'm Iris!!"

Only Iris doesn't work on Saturdays... So I made an appointment for Thursday, September 1st at 6:30pm. I'll meet hubby at work (closer to NYC than my house) and we can drive in together. Iris says that there's a parking place not far from the salon that doesn't cost too much, and if I call her the day before,- or the day of -,my appointment, she'll give me directions there.

The tolls are $8. Parking has got to be in the realm of $50 on the upper East side. The consultation and trim (if I need to get a trim) are ten times the barber's fee... but I get a Madora-trained hairstylist who is my hair twin! And she sounded fun on the telephone, too... :D

Sounds lovely! You won't regret your time at Madora's Long Hair Heaven! They know their stuff!!

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
This is very true. My hair looks quite thin at the ends. To look at them you may not be able to see where the ends actually are. That's ok and quite normal. I maintained my hair at TBL, trimming it about every 3 months or so but the look of the ends never changed. I've learned to accept the thin look on the ends. I know they are healthy and that's what matters. Yes, I have split ends but for hair like ours, split ends are a never ending battle. All we can do is be as gentle with our hair as we can, make sure it stays strong, and make sure it has plenty of the right moisture, and keep the split ends to a minimal.

ETA: I maintained TBL for about 3 years trying to make the ends look more solid.
And you and I are close to hair twins, Shelly!
Mine is 2c/3a and i/ii hair.

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Sounds lovely! You won't regret your time at Madora's Long Hair Heaven! They know their stuff!!
Even hubby said, "How often will you go there? Two times, three times, a year? It's worth it for you to have the best long hair you can. I'm good with it."

Did I tell you all how great my husband is, lately?! :D

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Did I tell you all how great my husband is, lately?! :D

He had asked me, "What's a 'consultation'?"

I thought for a moment, and then replied, "Think of it as a bench charge. Okay?"

I knew likening it to a shop's (electric, wood working, etc) bench charge would be something he'd grasp easily.

Shelly
August 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, we are. It always helps to have a few hair twins. Lol. :D

CariadA
August 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think setting up a consultation with a stylist who understands long hair was the best choice.

It is expensive to drive into the city. Those tolls are killer! Parking in the UES should be around $20. If you're not opposed to taking the subway, you could do street parking in LIC Queens for free and then take the subway one stop to the UES. I had a car when I lived in NYC and always managed to find free or cheap street parking within walking distance of where I needed to be. Now I go there a couple of times a month and we just park either in the parking garage of the hospital I go to, which is cheap, or at a friend's. If neither of those are close to where I need to be, I park for free in Queens and take the train in.

Let us know how your appointment goes! It sounds fun!

CarpeDM
August 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I've heard the same thing from stylists! Bottom line I don't buy it. I've had longer layered hair and longer blunt cut hair. The longer blunt hair looks thicker and is easier to work with...

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I think setting up a consultation with a stylist who understands long hair was the best choice.

It is expensive to drive into the city. Those tolls are killer! Parking in the UES should be around $20. If you're not opposed to taking the subway, you could do street parking in LIC Queens for free and then take the subway one stop to the UES. I had a car when I lived in NYC and always managed to find free or cheap street parking within walking distance of where I needed to be. Now I go there a couple of times a month and we just park either in the parking garage of the hospital I go to, which is cheap, or at a friend's. If neither of those are close to where I need to be, I park for free in Queens and take the train in.

Let us know how your appointment goes! It sounds fun!

Actually, I was mistaken. Madora Long Hair Heaven Salon is at 422 Madison Avenue ... basically at 48th Street. It's midtown/east side.

So I could have hubby come home from work a bit early that day, we drive the 5 minutes into Newark's Penn Station and park there for $30, take the PATH into 34th Street, and walk the 20 blocks or so across town and uptown to 48th Street.

Or we could take... I forget which subway train from PATH across to midtown/Eastside. It'll come to me when I'm there.

I haven't gone into the City for so long, now... not alone since I've been disabled. I used to live in NYC. I'll have to look up the subway lines. I know there's a way to get from PATH at 34th St (west side) over across to the east side at Madison and 48th.

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I haven't gone into the City for so long, now... not alone since I've been disabled. I used to live in NYC. I'll have to look up the subway lines. I know there's a way to get from PATH at 34th St (west side) over across to the east side at Madison and 48th.

My brain kicked in and started working... lol

Park at Newark, NJ Penn Station; PATH train to 34th St; E train across to Rockefeller Center; walk 2 or 3 blocks, depending upon where I come up out of the subway.
Right?

StephanieB
August 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Park at Newark, NJ Penn Station; PATH train to 34th St; E train across to Rockefeller Center; walk 2 or 3 blocks, depending upon where I come up out of the subway.
Right?
Or take a taxi ($12 tops) from 34th St.

CariadA
August 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Right?

Yep, that would be the best route if you want to take the subway with no transfers.

But, as you mentioned, a cab wouldn't be too much between Penn Station and the salon.

The subway can be really hard for people with disabilities that aren't obvious (I believe I read that you have EDS? Is that correct? I have vascular EDS with a crossover of the hypermobility type). Because I'm young, no one ever assumes that I have a fake knee and loose joints, so I get pushed around when I walk slowly down stairs and get evil glares if I take a seat on a crowded train. That may be an issue for you. The extra walking may be difficult, too.

We almost always end up driving in. I've taken the Metro North from Connecticut several times, but I would still rather drive. Between paying for parking at the Metro North, paying for the train ticket and buying MTA passes, it is still cheaper to drive in even if we have to pay for parking.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear what they recommend for you at Madora! I have often wondered what the best hemline would be for my fine, thin hair also. I attempt to do a blunt one now. I may need to go to Madora someday as a special treat to myself. I hope you have an amazing time!

AnnaJamila
August 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lol, I had a hairdresser tell me that since my hair was so thick that it would mould and fall out and rot if I didn't dry it with a very hot blow drier *every* *single* *time* I got it wet.

Sometimes they know what they're doing, sometimes not so much. My suggestion is to find faye's instructions and cut it yourself. If anything, having it all at one length would make it look thicker. Because, well, it IS thicker! :)

littlenvy
August 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM
LOL. This one is kind of tricky to me.

I have very fine thin hair as well. But I'm lucky enough to have a former hairstylist who specialized in cutting as a hubby :).
He knows I love the blunt hemline look so that's what he gives me. And it IS the best hemline for thin fine hair.

However; to get this kind of a hemline, he does a micro-layer on my hair. Divides the hair in two sections, three when my hair was a bit thicker; then cuts the bottom layer, lays over the next layer and cuts it just half a centemeter longer. That way the hair lays slightly curled under giving it a look of that 'thick' hemline. :)

Buggheart
August 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
You can totally do a blunt hemline with fine hair. I had the fairytale ends issue in 2009 and it really started looking awful (see my photo album) so I cut it all off in a shoulder length blunt cut (see my avatar over there on the right). I'm now growing it out again but my stylist leaves the bottom third of it blunt and them just layers from the crown to about 2/3 down and it looks so much better.

Calaelen
August 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I'd have to see your hair in its natural state and down to give any advice, but what he says sounds to be about right based on my knowledge. The layering can give you some body, whereas with a blunt hemline you wouldn't get that as much, but you would have thicker updos.

lastnite
August 24th, 2011, 07:25 PM
few years ago I asked a female stylist about getting layers and she said flat out it wouldn't work with my hair because it's so thin..the bottom layer would just be see through.

you could try a u shaped hemline, then it's not direct layers.

UltraBella
August 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I guess I am just going to have to be the odd-ball out who suggests you cancel your appointment. When you have a financial situation as desperate as you did just a few weeks ago, I can't justify the extra expense of the very expensive salon, the travel, etc.....just for a trim. For a hair trim ??
Your gas, electricity and cell phone were turned off under 20 days ago. You had NO food. It would make me feel so relieved to have my church recognize my emergency and give me the money to restore those services and purchase food that I could not spend any money on extravagant extras until I had my financial situation under control. And paid my church back. And with the specific break down you gave us of your finances and on going financial struggles, I would expect that would take you a significant amount of time. Not to mention saving extra for a buffer incase something goes wrong again.
I am just surprised you aren't super flinchy about spending money after the extreme drama you JUST had.
Yep, I know, total Debbie Downer. That's me. But I honestly just don't get it. :shrug:

Ligeia_13
August 25th, 2011, 03:20 AM
^ What I was thinking but scared to say for fear of getting bashed.

Maybe wait till you have a little saved up?

ShadowSwallow
August 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I agree with UltraBella. Not only were all of your utilities turned off (or at the brink of it), but you and your hubby had to stop multiple medications cold-turkey. That alone would make me save like crazy until I had enough of a fund so that if a paycheck went missing I could at least get my meds.

Buggheart
August 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Oh wow, didn't know about all that. Yeah, that should change everything then.

StephanieB
August 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I saved $800 since my husband was not paid properly.

Unless he is again not paid on the same week (the last week of the month going into the first week of the next month), I'm good.
And if he is again not paid properly on the one week, I have enough cash to carry me through, and I'm good.

By next week, I will have had another $200 or more saved, after bills.

Within another two or three weeks, I'll be good even in the event of no paycheck paid two or three pay periods consecutively.

It was a cash flow crisis, not a permanent poverty crisis; I dealt with the potentiality of another such cash flow crisis by saving like mad for a couple weeks. I expect to continue to save at the rate of $100-$250 per week. And my cash is safe outside of the bank, so they can't do what they did to me last time and bleed my account dry.

AnnaJamila
August 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Unless he is again not paid on the same week (the last week of the month going into the first week of the next month), I'm good.
And if he is again not paid properly on the one week, I have enough cash to carry me through, and I'm good.

Within another two or three weeks, I'll be good even in the event of no paycheck paid two or three pay periods consecutively.

It was a cash flow crisis, not a permanent poverty crisis; I dealt with the potentiality of another such cash flow crisis by saving like mad for a couple weeks. I expect to continue to save at the rate of $100-$250 per week. And my cash is safe outside of the bank, so they can't do what they did to me last time and bleed my account dry.

I'm so glad to hear this! Well, read it, lol!

I love the comb in your siggy, btw. I keep meaning to tell you but then forget! :o

RitaPG
August 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM
This is where many hairdressers, sadly, go wrong. Layers work well on big, long, voluminous hair (think UltraBella) but putting layers on hair that is fine and thin to begin with will only make it look even thinner and stringy at the ends.

I know this because not only I've seen hundreds of girls commit the same mistake, but because both my sister and I have had layered hair.
Mine, while not being too thin, looked raggedy and thinned out with layers, and is now at its best with a blunt cut. And my sister, who has a glorious head of thick wavy hair, looks best with layers.

And the whole "trim old hair before splits to avoid getting splits" thing is also wrong, if your hair is healthy and does not have splits, then you don't need to cut it. But, if your hair is really fine and very tapered at the ends, regular microtrims might be better than one bigger cut once in a while.
I believe that your hubby's barber acted in good heart, but his advice isn't accurate for your hairtype.
I'd stick with the blunt hemline :)

UltraBella
August 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM

That's great to hear. I was going off what you wrote not only in the "week without a paycheck thread" but also in the economics thread. In that thread you wrote :

"On my husband's stated salary, by the end of each week (he's paid weekly) I can't always make supper for us... we go hungry... because there isn't enough money left by Wednesday for Wednesday's supper or any meal on Thursday, after our basic utility bills and our contractor (necessary home repair that cannot wait - health hazardous problem) are paid. It's been like this for months, now."

You made it clear with your meds and your bills that making ends meet is a constant struggle in your home. It sounded a lot more prolonged to me, I did not suddenly expect you to be able to save so much, when it was impossible before. Good for you !

StephanieB
August 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
That's great to hear. I was going off what you wrote not only in the "week without a paycheck thread" but also in the economics thread. In that thread you wrote :

"On my husband's stated salary, by the end of each week (he's paid weekly) I can't always make supper for us... we go hungry... because there isn't enough money left by Wednesday for Wednesday's supper or any meal on Thursday, after our basic utility bills and our contractor (necessary home repair that cannot wait - health hazardous problem) are paid. It's been like this for months, now."

You made it clear with your meds and your bills that making ends meet is a constant struggle in your home. It sounded a lot more prolonged to me, I did not suddenly expect you to be able to save so much, when it was impossible before. Good for you !
Nothing like a scared-____less wake-up call to straighten one's head out. lol

I do NOT want to re-live the other week!

Once the bills were paid, and the missing paychecks came in, I had enough extra money to save massively AND donate a lot back to the Church (the archdiocese) and my church. I forwent any frivolous spending (difficult for me, given my illness..... but I managed it) and saved like mad.

I can't save taht much out of each paycheck, coz we don't earn enough to pay all of our bills and do that. But I managed it the one time that I had the ability to do so.

Aren't you a hairdresser, UltraBella?
What's you take on my initial questions (what the barber told me)??
Layers or blunt for my hair type?
Trim ends even with no damage? Or just trim when split ends occur?
I wear my hair up or back all the time, unless it's for the hour while it dries after washing it... bun or braid, or occasional ponytail. Usually a bun or a braid.

I'm wondering whether to keep my appointment or cancel it and just reschedule it for another date? (maybe in mid-October when I've had more time to save more money)

StephanieB
August 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I love the comb in your siggy, btw. I keep meaning to tell you but then forget! :o
Thanks. I recently bought it from another LHCer with an antique/vintage comb collection even bigger than mine.

manderly
August 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm glad to hear that we won't be seeing any new crises threads from you about your lack of income or food - sounds like you had your "wake up call" and are now successfully managing and saving your money to keep your head above water should a situation like this arise again.

Best wishes.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Aren't you a hairdresser, UltraBella?
What's you take on my initial questions (what the barber told me)??
Layers or blunt for my hair type?
Trim ends even with no damage? Or just trim when split ends occur?
I wear my hair up or back all the time, unless it's for the hour while it dries after washing it... bun or braid, or occasional ponytail. Usually a bun or a braid.

I'm wondering whether to keep my appointment or cancel it and just reschedule it for another date? (maybe in mid-October when I've had more time to save more money)

I didn't address what the barber told you because without getting your hair in my hands, I just don't know. I remember some pics of your hair from quite some time ago, and from what I remember it was thin enough that layers may make it look even thinner.
No, I see no need to trim if you do not have damage. However, if you get layers you may need more frequent trims because layers usually do not grow out evenly. Something to consider for sure.

Tabitha
August 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Nothing like a scared-____less wake-up call to straighten one's head out. lol

I do NOT want to re-live the other week!

Once the bills were paid, and the missing paychecks came in, I had enough extra money to save massively AND donate a lot back to the Church (the archdiocese) and my church. I forwent any frivolous spending (difficult for me, given my illness..... but I managed it) and saved like mad.

I can't save taht much out of each paycheck, coz we don't earn enough to pay all of our bills and do that. But I managed it the one time that I had the ability to do so.
Congratulations and I can see how you can feel that you deserve something nice as a pat on the back.

I recently had my hair trimmed at the London George Michael salon and - I don't know how "hard line" the Madora salon is but I suspect, being "the mothership", that it follows the GM theory to the letter. This being that it's healthiest for hair to be all one length otherwise the shorter bits are forever frantically trying to catch up with the rest; and also that this is most protective for the hair.

Therefore, GM doesn't believe in/approve of layers (and even less in bangs - while I was there another client in for a treatment wanted her fringe trimmed and the GM hairdresser summoned a stylist from the mainstream salon upstairs to do this!); the GM approved hemline is a shallow U-shape.

If you decide that you really want layers, it may be worth having a further chat with Iris on the phone to make sure that she'll be willing to cut them for you otherwise you might have a wasted journey.

Panth
August 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I recently had my hair trimmed at the London George Michael salon and - I don't know how "hard line" the Madora salon is but I suspect, being "the mothership", that it follows the GM theory to the letter. This being that it's healthiest for hair to be all one length otherwise the shorter bits are forever frantically trying to catch up with the rest; and also that this is most protective for the hair.

Therefore, GM doesn't believe in/approve of layers (and even less in bangs - while I was there another client in for a treatment wanted her fringe trimmed and the GM hairdresser summoned a stylist from the mainstream salon upstairs to do this!); the GM approved hemline is a shallow U-shape.

I can never understand this. There is absolutely no biological way that is known that would allow the shorter bits to even detect that they were shorter than the rest, never mind any evidence for the idea that it slows the growth of the rest as they try to let the shorter bits catch up.

By all means go to the Madora salon ... but if you want layers, tell them to cut you layers; if you want a fringe, tell them to cut you a fringe. Don't let them pull any :poop: on you and convince you it's going to somehow magically harm your hairgrowing ability.

MandyBeth
August 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Having the ultra fine hair, I can protect it all I want. If I don't dust the ends every 6-8 weeks, I get damage starting. Also, with the V now, grow to a U then see if you like it or want a blunt hemline.

Tabitha
August 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I can never understand this. There is absolutely no biological way that is known that would allow the shorter bits to even detect that they were shorter than the rest, never mind any evidence for the idea that it slows the growth of the rest as they try to let the shorter bits catch up.

By all means go to the Madora salon ... but if you want layers, tell them to cut you layers; if you want a fringe, tell them to cut you a fringe. Don't let them pull any :poop: on you and convince you it's going to somehow magically harm your hairgrowing ability.
I'm not explaining it or excusing it: I'm outlining the theory as it affects their policy.

GM salons aren't conventional salons and won't necessarily do the kind of cut you would ask for and expect from a conventional salon.

I'm just suggesting that it might be a good idea for Stephanie to get clarification beforehand on what they will, and won't do.

StephanieB
August 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I didn't address what the barber told you because without getting your hair in my hands, I just don't know. I remember some pics of your hair from quite some time ago, and from what I remember it was thin enough that layers may make it look even thinner.
No, I see no need to trim if you do not have damage. However, if you get layers you may need more frequent trims because layers usually do not grow out evenly. Something to consider for sure.
Thank you for (1) your honesty, and (2) what advice you feel confident passing on to me without my hair being in your hands.

I wonder if it'd work for me to fly out to you one day? I have a foster son who lives not far from you ("not far" in Montana terms - not in NJ terms - lol) whom I have yt to visit since he moved out to Montana. I could fly out there, visit you for a consultation appointment, visit with him for a couple of days, and fly home. ;)

StephanieB
August 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Congratulations and I can see how you can feel that you deserve something nice as a pat on the back.

If you decide that you really want layers, it may be worth having a further chat with Iris on the phone to make sure that she'll be willing to cut them for you otherwise you might have a wasted journey.
Thanks for the congrats. I feel that I deserve something, but if I bring hubby with me then I know I won't overspend. He's my safety valve.

Thanks for forewarning me with George Michael philosophy so I'll know ahead of time. As my father always tells me: Forewarned is forearmed.

I'm not looking for layers. I'd prefer a blunt hemline or a wide/shallow U hemline, if it'll make my hair look good. I usually put my hair up or in a braid, and a hemline that's close to all one length is best for most updos and braids.

I don't want bangs cut. I have a high forehead that I hate, but having very oily skin, and having grown up with always-Severus-Snape-looking greasy bangs... I know that I don't want bangs.

StephanieB
August 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Having the ultra fine hair, I can protect it all I want. If I don't dust the ends every 6-8 weeks, I get damage starting. Also, with the V now, grow to a U then see if you like it or want a blunt hemline.
Remember, I have EDS (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome); if I cut that often - even a microtrim - I'd never gain any length at all My hair only grows, at best, at about an eighth of an inch per month!

StephanieB
August 27th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I think I'm gonna keep the appointment, have the consultation, discuss things.

And if Iris finds split ends and can show them to me, then I'll have her trim them off. Splits don't heal; they only get worse and move up the hair shaft.

Regarding hair care products - I can always use up what I've got at home (plenty of products!) first, and the next time I go back, I can buy GM products... or I can buy online, I think.

I already have a good BBB, a few good wider- and narrower-toothed combs, and plenty of hair-friendly toys. (sticks, forks, clips - you name it, I've got it)

Dragonsbane
August 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't ever say that a trim was "necessary" to keep your hair growing long and healthy. And, as far as I've been able to determine from most of my lifetime of growing, trims make no difference - if your hair is prone to split, it will in the end!

I last had my hair trimmed in 2004, and... It's still growing! It grows at least a couple of inches in a year (only know cos can sit on it even when it's tied up now, which I couldn't do about a year ago!! Remind me to measure it in a year, as measured it for joining this site!). I gave up on regular trims, as I noticed my hair was still growing despite them, plus there was no way a quick trim at the very tips was going to get rid of the splits higher up through breakages.

Perhaps if I'd gotten into a better haircare regime sooner I might not have the splits problem. But I'm not bothered by them - get comments from friends regularly on how healthy my hair looks!

Anyway, back to the barber's question - it's entirely up to you, depending whether you want good looks or easy management. I must admit - I go for the easy management option every time! :)

Kelikea
August 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
At least he seems to know what a U shaped hemline is. I asked for a U shaped hemline, as I wanted to avoid the dramatic V and have subtle layers rather than blunt, but still look blunt-ish in the middle, and bangs. My hair was probably at waist with rather long grown-out layers and I told her, maybe take a 1/2 inch off the length. I really just wanted a side bang and trim. I ended up with my hair layered from about shoulder/apl on the sides to maybe bsl in back, with a weird, side tapered bang. I was shocked. My hair could barely be braided (I has told her I wanted to braid it) and if I did a pony tail, it looked like a puff-ball. When I asked her "where is all my hair?" She said she wasn't sure how to make the U, so kept cutting. What? She never said that before starting. It is now almost 2 years later and it is finally grown out to a point that I am happy with it.

My advice: decide what YOU want, take pictures if possible, explain thoroughly, watch the process, SPEAK UP! (I didn't speak up and the result was something I did not like.)

Arya
August 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
From what I understand of the GM philosphy, they only do one length cuts.

So that means they will tell you an all one length cut will look good on you, and be best for your hair.
So you already know what they will think of your hair, and what cut they will give you.

Your barber says your hair will only look good in layers.
So you already know what you will get from him, and what cut he will give you.

So it's up to you. Do you think your hair will look good with layers? Or do you think it will look good with blunt ends? What are your hair goals (hair that looks great down (more likely layers) or hair that looks good up (blunt ends)). You won't know for sure until you try both cuts on your own head, and make up your own mind.

As for the 'cutting old ends to keep them healthy'...that doesn't make sense to me. Unless they're very dry and tangly, but not yet split... I don't know. I wouldn't cut perfectly healthy hair.