PDA

View Full Version : Should I trim my hair? If so, how much?

scottigirl_01
August 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Today is my henna day. The lady that puts it on for me wants to trim my hair. She said about six inches. Should I let her? Or should I suggest a lesser amount?

CarpeDM
August 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Six inches seems like a lot to me. From your picture it doesn't look like you need that much off??

knoxkatie
August 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM
That seems like a lot to me too. For most people 6 inches is an entire year of growth. Why not ask her to trim an inch or two and see how you like it. She can always take more off later.

Madora
August 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Don't just tell her, SHOW her, with a ruler! Make sure she fully understands exactly what you want! Be polite but firm. After all, it is your hair and YOU are paying for the trim!

scottigirl_01
August 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks everyone. So maybe a little less than what she wanted, but maybe two or so inches. It's been so l

ZeppHead
August 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I agree, start small, you can always go back and take more off if you feel it needs it. Take too much off and you will be remorseful and sad waiting for the hair to grow back. Do not tell her an inch or so....tell her exactly how much. If you want two inches say one and SHOW her on your hair how much that would be.

MychelleC
August 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
A "trim" is an inch or two. Anything more than that is a cut! I do think it's a great idea to cut off 4-6 inches every few years, but that's just me. I do it and I am always amazed at how healthy and modern my hair looks, and my hair looks so much healthier as it grows out. Nonetheless, don't let someone take off more than you are comfortable with.

spidermom
August 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM
It's up to you. If you would like thick, even, blunt ends, it will probably take about 6 inches to achieve that. If you're happy with your ends as they are now, no need to trim it. It's YOUR hair. YOU decide. Don't let anybody bully you into anything you don't want.

pepperminttea
August 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
It's up to you. If you would like thick, even, blunt ends, it will probably take about 6 inches to achieve that. If you're happy with your ends as they are now, no need to trim it. It's YOUR hair. YOU decide. Don't let anybody bully you into anything you don't want.

Ditto. :) Six inches would give you a blunt hemline, but do you want your ends blunt?