PDA

View Full Version : stretching washes question

laurarvt
August 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
hello all!

I've been trying to cut back on washing, but after a day or two, I feel like my head just smells kinda gross. Like a dirty pillow type smell. Any tips or tricks? I tried using a dry shampoo spray, and it was too overly fruity smell. Thank you!

CariadA
August 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Sometimes hair just takes awhile to adjusting to less frequent washings. Once it gets used to it and the oil production lessens, the smell may go away.

There are plenty of options for scenting hair with "dry shampoo" that don't have a fake fruity smell. Cocoa powder can work great for brunettes while baby powder or corn starch both work well for blondes. I use lavender scented baby powder sometimes on my brunette hair and as long as I use it very sparingly, it still works for me.

And some people just can't stretch washes. My scalp acts up if I stretch washes, so I CO every other day.

Madora
August 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Brushing well every day helps stretch washes, but your brush has to be clean each time you use it. Also, nothing is on my hair between washes.

I wash my hair once a month and condition it. Evoo overnight and wash it out the next day, and then brush 100 strokes every day until it is time for the next shampooing, a month later.

The less product you put on the hair, the less buildup you have to cope with.

kitcatsmeow
August 24th, 2011, 08:27 AM
hello all!

I've been trying to cut back on washing, but after a day or two, I feel like my head just smells kinda gross. Like a dirty pillow type smell. Any tips or tricks? I tried using a dry shampoo spray, and it was too overly fruity smell. Thank you!

Wash your pillow cover! Seriously. It's' the only thing your hair really touches. Also keeping it pulled up In a bun or or braid is KEY. I wash my hair twice a week and on wash day even when I go to work and wear it down and I'm in a smokey enviroment, I put it in a braid the second I'm done.

Three days later when I'm re-doing it STILL smells fresh and clean.