PDA

View Full Version : Should I just cut my hair?

TealDolphin
August 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Because I've been losing hair due to surgery, I'm considering just cutting it short and let it grow back... People have told me it looks thinner, but I already see some new short hair growing in; it looks thinner at the ends. Should I cut it?

Quetiepi
August 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
I hope you are recovering from your surgury. I think you should do what ever makes your life easier at this time. You take care of you first and get well soon!

Mesmerise
August 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
It really depends how attached you are to the length you've got, and how much of the length is salvageable!

I would think it would also depend on how long your hair is now, and how much growth you'd be cutting off. I think it's a lot harder for someone with really long hair to cut it all back, than it is for someone with shoulder length hair, for example. If you can maintain some length and it still looks good, there seems no real reason to cut it all off.

I lost a heap of hair last year, and I was trying to maintain the length, but in the end cut off a few inches because they were so stringy and awful. I do feel a wee bit sad that I've lost the length, but I can't really regret it because I was too embarrassed to wear it loose anyway because of how stringy the ends were!! I am also going to keep doing fair sized trims for the rest of the year to get rid of more of the thinner hair (probably 1" a month for the next 4 months). I am not, however, cutting it off all at once cause I don't want to lose that much length!!

Oh, and another thing to consider is whether your shedding has stopped or not. If it's pretty much stopped you can judge your hair on the way it looks now, and it may look fine with just an inch or two off, but if it continues to shed you may need to reasses in the future.

Oh, I just noticed your hair is iii in thickness. Have you done a recent circumference measurement?? If it's still relatively "thick" I think it's quite different than if it's dramatically thinner. I mean, if your hair drops to a lower ii or i, then it's a lot different than if it's gone from say 4.5" to 3", because that's still a reasonable "average" circumference.

TealDolphin
August 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Well people tell me that it looks thinner but not very thin... And about measuring again, I'm kind of scares to, haha.

Mesmerise
August 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Well people tell me that it looks thinner but not very thin... And about measuring again, I'm kind of scares to, haha.

Well yeah, there is a big difference between "thinner" and "thin"! Sometimes it's good to just bite the bullet and figure out how much "damage" has been done. Since you're considering cutting anyway, it couldn't hurt to find out how much you've actually lost, especially as it's already regrowing so you know that any loss won't be permanent!

It may not be as bad as you think, and to most people, your hair may look just fine and not bad at all! Unless your hair is looking very stringy and see-through, most people won't notice. It may only be obvious to those who know your hair is usually quite thick!

dulce
August 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
General anesthetic can cause temporary hair loss but it will grow back.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think maybe you'll want to trim a little more often to give the thickness a chance to move to the ends, but unless you want/need a change, no need for a drastic cut. Unless you hate how thin it looks, of course.

TealDolphin
August 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone:)

Cowgirl16
August 26th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I had a huge shed earlier this year and I went from a iii to a ii, I notice the thinness but most people don't.
I decided not to cut my hair, it's not so thin that I don't like it. It saddens me but I love my hair long :D I figure it will take about 5 years for the rest of my hair to catch up....I'll wait.

What did you decide???