PDA

View Full Version : Question About Braid Waves

trillcat
August 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
I know this has been asked before, but using "search" didn't help me out here.
How do you get waves that go all the way to the ends of the Hair?
I have seen pictures, I know this is possible!!!! :)
I always have my hair up in some sort of braid, but it would be nice to wear it down now and then besides on wash days, but then I have a definite cut off line where the waves end, it does not make for a good look.
I think I read about using ribbons to fix this? How does one go about doing that?

neko_kawaii
August 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Curlers at the ends!

dRummie
August 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
You could also keep braiding until the very end. I haven't tried this personally, but I think adding some light gel or oil to keep them from unraveling while you braid, then wrapping the whole end in a ribbon would work.

Mesmerise
August 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I don't find that braid waves look good in my hair... but errm... my end usually forms a curl on its own if I wet it when my hair is in a braid!

What else you could try would be to make it into a pin curl or something and hold it in place with a bobby pin?? If I was to braid all the way to the ends my ends would look frizzy because there's so much less hair there, so it may not work for everyone braiding as far as possible.

SoulOfTheSea
August 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
You can try this technique. :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Arya
August 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
If I need REALLY good looking braid waves, I do two dutch braids as close to my part as possible, and halfway down my braids, I add in extensions. I braid those past where my natural hair ends, and then tie them off. When I unbraid them and take them out, they're perfect! But usually I just braid almost right til the end.

Instead of extensions, you could cut a piece of cloth so that it looks like an E , (attached at the top, but three flowy parts) and use those to finish the braid instead.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
I braid to the ends, then wrap a piece of wet ribbon around them and put one of those small poly-bands over the ribbon. You could even use a small rubber band if you have them because the ribbon will protect the ends.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tools.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/agedbraid.jpg

QueenJoey
August 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
My layers and taper make it next to impossible to braid close to the end. The rubber band just falls out because around like 5 strands! So I usually tie a ribbon or a scarf in my hair and use that as the third strand. Since it's usually longer than my length, I can keep braiding farther, and my rubber band has something thicker to hold on to.

It also makes the waves bigger, and if it's close to my hair color, it'll make my hair appear longer at first glance.

goldenmoments
August 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Yarn braids! There are some good YouTube tutorials. Just be sure to use 100% acrylic yarn to not dry your hair out. If you continue braiding the yarn past the end of your hair the entire length will develop waves! If you have dark hair it is relatively easy to find matching yarn. Personally I use ruby colored yarn with my light brown hair. Nice for waves, but even cute as a style. I pinned one around my head today with the rest loose. I'll post a picture in my albums. I'm still a newbie at yarn braids so its not too neat....

Also, side note, you can use long pieces of yarn to feign longer hair

Emerald88
August 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I get better waves if my hair is just barely damp and to make it look nice on the ends, I use sponge curlers.