PDA

View Full Version : Updos for layered hair??

Autumn Light
August 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have a few layers in my hair - the shortest are at my chin and the longest are almost APL length. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good/creative updos for layered hair like mine, or could link me to some tutorials.

At the moment I usually just stick it up in a pony tail or a messy bun cos I'm not sure what else to do with it with all the layers sticking out.

dRummie
August 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
French twist! Plus variations (e.g. peacock twist). It won't look totally sleek, and you'll probably need a bobby pin or two, but I find it works well, and it sounds like my hair is layered similar to yours.

I also find a french braid (but not a regular braid) holds the layers well. If you want a sleeker look, doing two braids/buns/etc. lets them catch more of the layers, since each is further to the side.

I was also surprised that I could get a gibson tuck to look decent, but again, you'll have to pin back the chin-length layers.

Lianna
August 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Take a look at this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66644) thread. :)

SoulOfTheSea
August 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
This would work with layered hair for sure! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIPrzATuBec&feature=related

Kyla
August 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
A gibson tuck can sometimes work for layered hair. :) You may need bobby pins though.

QueenJoey
August 23rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
I did a variation of this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=187) on my sister's hair today. Her hair is super thick and wavy with choppy layers throughout (it's BSL).

Instead of folding it over like it says in the 2nd step, I just held the untwisted hair pointed towards the ceiling, and secured it between that hair and the twist. Kinda make sense?

It took about 2 minutes, and actually looked better on her short layered hair, that on my thin, long hair. Just twist really tightly!

Lissandria
August 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23DXFYt7G0

I found the link to this vid somewhere (prob on here, but anyway). because of my layers I'm also finding it difficult to do updo's with hairtoys, so i find im resorting to my elastic and messy buns. Im finding this style a good transitional one I can do with my new hairtoys but because of the elastic it stays in. Looks great!

Jimothea
August 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've been stuck in the no man's land of this length for so long I feel like I might actually have something to contribute! My hair is thinner and finer than yours, so maybe these won't quite work, but they can serve as a starting off point, hopefully!

1. Sock bun
2. French twist/peacock twist
3. Ballet bun (needs lots of pins to stay, though)
4. Guyaru (sp?) styles, usually
5. Crown braid
6. Dorothy braids
7. French/Dutch/English/Rope braids
8. Double braids
9. Pin curls/rag curls/straw curls
10. Half-ups with various accent braids (either in the part that "pulls" the hair behind the head, or in the bottom, down length, or the pony of the half-up, if that makes sense)
11. Side french braid--really like this one for summer, because if some of the layers fall out it still looks pretty and *romantic*,lol
12. I have good luck with vintage styles, since they're usually based on curls, which you can pin and manipulate into the shape you want, despite the various layer lengths.

Damp braiding works well enough I can do most any braid my fingertips can understand, and have it look neat. Dry braiding, err...not so much, unless I have a lot of product. This is especially true for the crown braid--it's a great way to tuck away all the layers, but if you don't keep spritzing your hair with water as you go, it'll end up looking like a hot mess, lol, when you finish. Very frustrating; I should know....

Anything loose you can always pin or product into submission. Good luck, and lemme know if you have any questions!

Autumn Light
August 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the ideas everyone! :)

newbeginning
August 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I have layers too. I just do regular updos but either wear a headband or clip back/pin back my shorter layers/bangs.