PDA

View Full Version : Hair breakage in buns and braids?

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
So I was on the NC.com and reading about hair breakage here : http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/hair-breakage and then I saw it said you can get hair breakage from braids? I did not know that I mean I do braids to go to sleep at least 5 times a week, and when my hair looks nasty and I cannot have it out. I have heard ponytails as well and tight buns, but can loose buns cause it as well?

Redbeetle36
August 23rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I've definitely got some breakage from braiding, I wear two French braids most days at the moment as I am trying to grow my hair to my shoulders and it's at that awkward length. The breakage is generally around the front hairline but it does tend to be quite fine there anyway so I wasn't suprised. I don't know what to do about it other than to not braid so tightly :0)

Madora
August 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
If you braid your curly hair too tightly, you might have breakage.

Better to have a little flexibility when you're braiding.

Ditto if doing any bun twists. Do it gently and not tightly. The less tension on those curly strands, the better for your hair.

Anje
August 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Finally, limit styles such as ponytails, braids and tight buns. Prevent hair breakage by giving your hair a rest from these styles as they pull on the hair follicle and cause damage, as well as sometimes causing the whole strand to fall out.
I suspect they're talking about braids more like cornrows. Those can cause traction alopecia if they're really tight or if they're always done with the same parts. Ditto with pulling hair back in anything really tight, as you can cause stress to the hairline.

I know I get breakage from ponytail bands, even ones without metal. I think it's the friction combined with the weight of my hair all being supported by a clump of hairs going from the top of my head to the ponytail. A bun supported only by an elastic probably wouldn't be any better for me. However, I don't seem to get breakage from my hair in a bun held with a stick and no elastic, because the weight is well-balanced across a lot of hairs. If it's not balanced, it pulls uncomfortably and gets re-adjusted before hairs get pulled out or broken off.

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
If you braid your curly hair too tightly, you might have breakage.

Better to have a little flexibility when you're braiding.

Ditto if doing any bun twists. Do it gently and not tightly. The less tension on those curly strands, the better for your hair.

What do you mean flexibility? I braid normal or loose
I sometimes bun like a cinnabun tight-ish but if it hurts my scalp I loosen it a bit til it feels good, is that bad?

Not trying to be dumb, but hair breakage is when hair is broken but it does not have a white bulb like when it sheds?

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Wait, I have like fuzzy on the top of my hair I think this is new growth after a major shed from '10 of Oct-Dec. I don't know if I have breakage? How can you tell much.

Madora
August 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
What do you mean flexibility? I braid normal or loose
I sometimes bun like a cinnabun tight-ish but if it hurts my scalp I loosen it a bit til it feels good, is that bad?

Not trying to be dumb, but hair breakage is when hair is broken but it does not have a white bulb like when it sheds?

Braid flexibility means the braids are not drawn tightly (snugly) to the scalp.

Also, if you wear ponytails, the ponytail should be flexible..that is, you should be able to get at least one finger between the elastic and your scalp.

Hair breakage is hair that does not show the tiny white bulb at one end.

The hair with the bulb is hair that (usually) has fallen out naturally.

Be careful of bunning too tightly as this can place undue stress on your very delicate front hairs. The very nature of curly hair makes it prone to breakage so you need to be extra careful when dealing with it.

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Also, if you wear ponytails, the ponytail should be flexible..that is, you should be able to get at least one finger between the elastic and your scalp.

Be careful of bunning too tightly as this can place undue stress on your very delicate front hairs. The very nature of curly hair makes it prone to breakage so you need to be extra careful when dealing with it.

I will try to make my ponys even more looser. I usually don't even tie it twice, just gather the hair and one time the scrunchy goes. [ I don't use elastic for it is hard to get out :p]

I always bun for a protective style, I use a hairstick to keep secure or just a scrunchy. Sometimes I try to do a french twist and it holded ok.

A question: Does maybe french twisting or damp bunning cause hair breakage? Because I did the french wist one on wet hair and it hurt so I put it in a very loose rope braid. And I have never done damp bunning thinking it might cause breakage or split ends?:mad:

Slinks
August 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Wait, I have like fuzzy on the top of my hair I think this is new growth after a major shed from '10 of Oct-Dec. I don't know if I have breakage? How can you tell much.
to tell if it's new hair the hairs are pointy and curl up slightly .. I'm pretty sure that's right :-)

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
to tell if it's new hair the hairs are pointy and curl up slightly .. I'm pretty sure that's right :-) Yeah they stick up a bit and even if I wet it down it won't stay :p and they curl a bit :) thanks.

Madora
August 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I will try to make my ponys even more looser. I usually don't even tie it twice, just gather the hair and one time the scrunchy goes. [ I don't use elastic for it is hard to get out :p]

I always bun for a protective style, I use a hairstick to keep secure or just a scrunchy. Sometimes I try to do a french twist and it holded ok.

A question: Does maybe french twisting or damp bunning cause hair breakage? Because I did the french wist one on wet hair and it hurt so I put it in a very loose rope braid. And I have never done damp bunning thinking it might cause breakage or split ends?:mad:

Hair is at its weakest when wet or damp, so I'd be very careful!

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Ok, so I will air dry and just do my protective styles :). Madora by the way, what are your favorite non-damaging hair styles you perfer?

Madora
August 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Ok, so I will air dry and just do my protective styles :). Madora by the way, what are your favorite non-damaging hair styles you perfer?

Well, I'm far from a curly but I've always braided my hair--for decades, and never had any problems.

But if you have a favorite style that works for you, then stick with it!