PDA

View Full Version : A Call to all Type 1s /Straighties: Hair Typing

Arya
August 23rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
So we were discussing this over on the visual hairtyping thread thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22693

but it seems like myself and some of the other 1s have noticed that the subgroupings, type 1a, 1b, and 1c seem to be pretty ambiguous. the terms 'body wave' and 's curve' seem to be so up for debate. Wavies and Curlies seem to have a bit more structure to their subgroups than we do, and I was wondering if perhaps we could come up with some, it might clear up some confusion that we were noticing on the other thread.

There seem to be a lot of other characteristics of straight hair that could maybe help clear up some things. Or maybe we could come up with new ones together. Any thoughts?

I was thinking that many of the straighter 1s notice that their hair won't hold heat curls, or curls at all. Could this be a defining characteristic of 1as?

Straighties also seem to have less frizz than other types. Could that be a factor in determining subclass?

The last thing I was thinking of was that a lot of the 1bs/1cs seem to be frustrated with the 's curve' definition, and were noticing that despite having a bit of an s curve or double s curve completely untouched, it seems to disappear into body wave with the slightest manipulation. Perhaps that could be a defining feature of 1bs versus 1cs?

Maybe we can create our own system of governance, and elect a king to type all of us instead! In that case, I vote for ericthegreat. ^__^

angelfell
August 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM
I think this is a great idea! Of course, I can't even come to a conclusion on what sort of 1 I am yet :D. I always thought 1a, but it seems I have some sort of wave going on? Nevertheless, my hair dries frizz-less, shiny, and mostly sleek, even if I don't brush it.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm useless with 1 typing, but am subscribing for info and education.

Arya
August 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm not really sure about myself either, 1bs and 1cs all look the same to me!!

Alaia
August 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
If we were going on straightness alone, I'd be a 1a. I've got 1a/1b in my stats because I used to have some wave, but it's gone.

If you start bringing in whether or not my hair holds curls well... then if 1a's can't then I'm not a 1a ;) They disappear quite quickly but my hair very easily makes braid waves (haven't tried to curl it in a while), and two hair cuts ago I had spirals going on from cinnabuns.

It is a bit ambiguous I do agree.

ericthegreat
August 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
There is one key factor that many people tend to forget or overlook when they try to hair-type. And this goes for everyone......................they forget to factor in the actual individual thickness of each of their hair strands. There is a WORLD of difference between a fine 1a and a coarse 1a, just like there is a world of difference between a fine 3c and a coarse 3c.

In fact, I would venture to say that we should actually treat and categorize hair more on whether it is fine or thick(as in coarse, not thick in density) rather than just its physical curl structure or lack of curl structure. See, a person with fine 3c hair would have to be very gentle with their hair and would do best to avoid extreme heat, or it would break/melt off their hair. The same would hold true for a fine 1a.

However, someone like me with coarse 1a/1b hair can bleach his hair to blonde and even get regular blow-outs and flat iron it, without causing any serious damage at all. The same would hold true for a black woman with a coarse afro.........she could flat-iron her hair pin-straight without seeing any noticeable damage to her hair either.

oktobergoud
August 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM
I don't even know what kind of 1 I am, but in my defense, my hair is still short so it's hard to type ;)

wandlimb
August 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
I think I'm a 1b - my hair is not completely poker straight but it's not really wavy and heated curls drop out in about an hour. Braid waves stay longer if I braided it when wet.

tigereye
August 23rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
Well mine is straight, but I've always had these little flicks or waves at the ends, and it's the shorter strands doing this that makes my frizz after a wash. The thing is, it's only on my thinner strands, and disappears when I've done a DT before washing, so maybe it's less my type of hair and more just the dry/fine ness of those strands.
With regards to holding curl I have managed to get it to make curls with doing rag curls with damp hair and aloe Vera :shrug: some buns leave some waves in my hair, and braidwaves hold like nothing else. In fact because I sleep in braids, when people see my hair in it's natural state, they think it's been straightened. On the other hand, you take a hairdryer, or hot rollers, or a curling iron to my hair, and my hair doesn't hold at all. In fact it almost becomes straighter because it loses the flick at the end of the strands.

MissManda
August 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
I found a thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53924) in the archives that discusses the difference between 1a and 1b hair a while back. I found the descriptions to be very helpful and maybe some of the info there can help us get off to a good start.

I understand the difference between 1a and 1b fairly clearly, but I'm still having a hard time with the difference between 1b and 1c even though I've already asked about it.

Here is my current understanding of the three type ones... It is still in need of revising, but it's a start.

1a - Perfectly straight with no natural bends to it; the hair flows down as if it were a straight line following a ruler. From what I understand type 1a typically does not get any frizz and has little natural volume (the amount of volume probably depends on strand thickness). Additionally, 1a hair seems to have the tendency to stubbornly resist any waves/curls that are put in.

1b - 1b would probably still be described by many to be a very straight hair type, but even though it can appear to be pin straight like 1a at first, if you look carefully you can see subtle bends in it. From what I've seen, the bends can vary in appearance from one big, very stretched-out S-wave throughout the hair to extremely stretched-out Ss in the hair but too stretched and undefined to be identified as actual S-waves like you see in 2a... so it looks more bendy than wavy. Type 1b can be manipulated into being wavy/curly fairly easily, can be made very straight like 1a if combed enough, and might frizz slightly. It also may have more volume, but that probably depends on the bodywave and the strand texture. Oh, and the ends might like to "flip," especially at shorter lengths.

Now here's where I'm having a hard time...

1c - 1c has body wave just like 1b does and it may or may not be more prominent/defined. In addition to the body wave, it has one to three S-wave sections. I currently define S-waves as sections of hair that look like at least two loose Ss stacked on top of each other. 1c can be manipulated into being wavy/curly very easily to the point where they might not fall out very quickly if at all and can still be combed fairly straight, but the hair will still have some slight body to it. Type 1c is the most likely of the 1s to be frizz-prone because it is naturally wavier.

I'm still having issues with distinguishing between body wave and S-waves sometimes and I think that the definitions I gave are in need of refining. But... I tried.... :thud:

I'm positive I'm not a 1a, so I'm somewhere around 1b or 1c. I need to get some hair typing pictures up, because I manipulated my hair way too much the last time I tried.

lunalesca
August 23rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
I never get the difference between 1b and 1c. My hair seems to be between it, depending on it's 'daily mental state' ;)

Maybe you could union both so you get
1a = complete straight
1b = some curves

terpentyna
August 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM
Yeah, I actually am not positive what my hair is either...

And just a comment about kinky hair being able to be straightened and be fine - I disagree... Not all afros are thick and sturdy.

Milui Elenath
August 23rd, 2011, 04:08 AM
I put myself down as a 1a and I do generally fit the description that was given. No volume, curls don't stay (not at all even with heat), no frizz (except flyaway baby scalp halos) but I too have been confused, mostly though by the hair typing method because if I air dry and do not comb it my hair is wavy from about waist to TB but that will only last till I either comb or move around a bit with dry hair. Since I don't go around not moving/combing my hair I never saw much point in hair typing myself for something that lasts for half an hour or less. Further since 1b and 1c talk about volume I also disregarded them for that reason.

I do know that years ago I wasted money on having my hair feathered at the front and since my hair was straight you couldn't even tell that there were layers at all!

Also I wonder if other 1's have difficulty holding curl or is it only 1a?

Sundial
August 23rd, 2011, 04:16 AM
if I air dry and do not comb it my hair is wavy from about waist to TB but that will only last till I either comb or move around a bit with dry hair. Since I don't go around not moving/combing my hair I never saw much point in hair typing myself for something that lasts for half an hour or less. Further since 1b and
1c talk about volume I also disregarded them for that reason.

I do know that years ago I wasted money on having my hair feathered at the front and since my hair was straight you couldn't even tell that there were layers at all!

Also I wonder if other 1's have difficulty holding curl or is it only 1a?

I think people's perceptions are also different. My damaged parts and virgin roots act very differently and the bottom part waves a little like Milui Elenath describes. Some people have told me that they wouldn't consider mine stick straight, and yet some (including hair stylists) often asked me if I chemically straightened my hair. If the latter are asking that, does that mean that my hair looks stick straight to them?

I feel that mine is relatively straight but the thickness somehow makes it look 'poufier' and gives the impression that there's body wave or something :confused: mine cannot hold curls at all. I've had my hair permed twice but the curls washed out after 1 week for both cases. I don't bother curling with tongs or no-heat curling for that reason and prefer to work with my natural texture

Mirsha
August 23rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
MissManda's description puts me at 1a because while 1b fits the bill, my hair does not hold curls. It holds waves more than I'd like to, but it just does not hold curl. Any pictures you see of me curly are taken right after styling which a bunch of hairspray/mousse/setting lotion before it all sags out. :p I'm tempted to think it wouldn't hold a perm either.

If I drip-dry my hair I do get slight s-bodywaves in it, but I'm more inclined to think that's from my neck/shoulders because the bottom parts are straight. When shorter, my hair doesn't flip, not even if I wanted it to. I don't frizz, don't hold curl, do have natural s-bodywaves... but those don't hold if I comb.

I typed myself 1a/1b because I always comb my hair when wet, which gives me 1a. Naturally, it would seem I'm a 1b.

I think it's more a matter of preference with some 1a and 1bs, but I don't think volume should be taken into account in 1 types. Volume I think is more a result of thickness in 1s.

Edit because I realize I didn't really say what I wanted to: Why type yourself as a 1b when your hair is going to spend most of it's time in a combed out state resembling 1a? Does it really matter when most of the people have their hair perpetually braided/bunned/scarved? Sure, care might be different from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4, but between 1s it doesn't differ that much does it?

Ostelot
August 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM
I was thinking that many of the straighter 1s notice that their hair won't hold heat curls, or curls at all. Could this be a defining characteristic of 1as?

I strongly disagree. My hair is not poker straight, and typing the hair between 1b and 1c is difficult for me. (So I follow the hair routines and methods also from the 1cs. ) Especially the short hairs bend to many directions. It can be seen in my fringe photos too. Some random S-waves can also been seen after air drying in my temples, but the general impression of my hair is straight. It's very easy to create curls to my head, but keeping them curled over an hour... mission impossible. My hair will go back to its original texture, once my hair got from spiral curls to "body wave" in 15 minutes. Sometimes I thought the reason for that was too long hair, but unfortunately no. A few of F hair in my forehead could also effect on curling result, but the rest and the hugest part of my hair is M, so I guess I just have "Asian-like" hair. So it's heavy, slippery and doesn't damage easily.

Occasionally I've thought that some feature is missing from the hair typing. The roughness/slipperiness of the hair. Because slippery hair won't tangle easily and stands heat& chemicals better than easily tangling, furthermore already rough hair. For example, my boyfriend and I have quite similar texture when it comes to these "codes". I have 1b M ii/iii and he has 1b M ii. But we can't use the same hair products. His hair hates protein and keratin, while my hair loves them and gets less slippery by using them. And in the morning, my hair has almost no tangles, but his hair looks something like the troll with his tangles. Even though I use chemicals&heat more and have longer hair than his.

So, what do you think about the 4th feature in hair typing? The F/M/C feature doesn't include that (isn't the Asian hair generally C?) The property that hair doesn't hold curl well, could be one key factor.

pink.sara
August 23rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Well, I think Eric and some of you guys have a point about thickness affecting your 1 category.
I would be a 1a as my hair is heavy, slippery, doesn't hold curl at all and once past shoulder is poker straight. But the sheer amount of it means at shoulder it did flip. And also like Eric I bleach and straighten with negligible damage. That's why I've put myself as 1a/b-M-iii, as it isn't the superfine superstraight some 1a's have. :shrug:

caiti42
August 23rd, 2011, 05:44 AM
I think I need to pipe up with a cone vs no cone statement as well. With cones my hair dries a perfect 1a to slight 1b. No cones I'm definately 1c!

I hold scrunched waves with moose (sp?) perfectly, but braid waves and curled rarely hold for more than a few hours.

Lippytoes
August 23rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Hair typing can be so hard. I'm in the weird borderline between 1 and 2 where my hair isn't quite wavy, but it's certainly not straight either... I also get a fair amount of frizz. My hair holds braid waves etc. really well, and if I let it dry without manipulation I've even got some spirally action going on in places. :confused: But if I brush it, it can be straight-ish (although with definite body wave).

Differentiating between 1s does really seem to be quite difficult.

Panth
August 23rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
This was always my understanding of it:

1a - poker straight and very flat - basically naturally like flat-ironed hair; also very likely looks like it has little volume/body because it lies so straight and flat

1b - straight (no visible waves) but not poker straight as it has much more volume/body than 1a hair due to subtle non-straightness that is not great enough to manifest as waves but is enough to hold the hairs out from each other more

1c - broadly speaking is straight but has volume/body and maybe the beginnings of what one might call a wave; e.g. straight hair with one crook in it midway down the length that is not big enough / extensive enough to be called a wave

Hence, by that definition I am a 1b - no waves whatsoever but without that poker straightness and lack of body seen in a 1a.

headtrip_honey
August 23rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
I do think the texture of your hair has a lot to do with it.

I've classed myself as a 1b, but I'm probably somewhere between b and c.

My hair USED to be a 1a/F, but somewhere around age 19 I started getting coarser hair (I have some hairs that can be confused with my Pakistani friend's thick, black, coarse hair! And others are still babyfine and soft.). And with the coarser hair came odd body and wave.

The pic in my sig isn't very representative, as it was taken after BBB and combing, and my hair was (atypically) full of cones. I really need to get a pic of my unmanipulated hair, but hardly a day goes by that I don't manipulate it! Heh.

Anyway, I have wave to my hair, it can hold a curl (not great, but not poorly, either), I get TONS of frizz, but the overall impression of my hair is straight. So, somewhere between 1b and 1c.

Ligeia_13
August 23rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
The only thing I'm sure about is that I'm not an 1a. My hair generally behaves in an erratic fashion, some days its straight, some days its really wavy...I have trouble defining whether I'm a 1b or a 1c so I chose somewhere inbetween :S

freckles
August 23rd, 2011, 06:22 AM
I have no idea what type of 1 I am. I find hairtyping very difficult -- I have never been able to just let it dry without touching! Ever! All photos on LHC are either: blowdried straight, combed/brushed while wet, put into bun/braid for at least a bit while drying. I honestly don't understand how anyone can walk around for full drying time without touching their hair! :lol:

I call myself a 1b, despite not being sure, because I know my hair is very straight (no one would ever refer to it as wavy) but at neck length, the ends flicked slightly in 'J' flicks, so I don't think I can be a 1a.

Alaia
August 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
See the thing is I don't think that 1a means flat and volume-less. I have seen many heads of hair here that I would call 1a that aren't flat and volume-less.

I myself have extremely fine hair that is certainly 1a when I'm on cones (good point about the cones, whoever made it), and probably 1a when not using cones, and I don't think it's flat and volume-less.

When I wash my hair on Saturday I'll airdry and post a hair-typing picture in this thread and you all can tell me whether I'm really 1a ;)

torrilin
August 23rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
The main reason why I'd see it as mattering if you're 1a vs 1c is moisture levels. A lot of folks seem to think it's ok to ditch conditioner and that the straighter their hair the less they need it.

This is pretty crazy. The usual excuse I see is that adding conditioner will hurt volume levels. I find the excuse hysterically funny since my volume is pretty constant whether I'm CO washing or not. It's mostly due to how fine my hair is.

A fine 1a will often have massive tangling problems. Throwing more conditioner at the hair will often resolve the problem. Coarser 1s also benefit from conditioner's detangling properties. Same for 1b and 1c, but there, the extra moisture will enhance what curl pattern is present.

To a lesser extent, I also think it matters because some shampoo formulae seem to promote hair tangling, and others seem to minimize it. I suspect hair type is a factor here, but not just in terms of curl level. Fine vs coarse and porosity also seem to be influences.

Ostelot
August 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM
The main reason why I'd see it as
To a lesser extent, I also think it matters because some shampoo formulae seem to promote hair tangling, and others seem to minimize it. I suspect hair type is a factor here, but not just in terms of curl level. Fine vs coarse and porosity also seem to be influences.

That's right, I agree. But how can you know from someone's "hair code", is someone's hair tending to tangles or not? Any single factor (curl pattern, overall thickness, F/M/C type) doesn't tell that alone. Or well, I'm not sure if 3 or 4 hair is always slippery&tangle-free or rough. In my opinion it is very important factor by categorizing hair. And fine and "glass-like" hair are not the same.

Mirsha
August 23rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
The main reason why I'd see it as mattering if you're 1a vs 1c is moisture levels. A lot of folks seem to think it's ok to ditch conditioner and that the straighter their hair the less they need it.

This is pretty crazy. The usual excuse I see is that adding conditioner will hurt volume levels. I find the excuse hysterically funny since my volume is pretty constant whether I'm CO washing or not. It's mostly due to how fine my hair is.

A fine 1a will often have massive tangling problems. Throwing more conditioner at the hair will often resolve the problem. Coarser 1s also benefit from conditioner's detangling properties. Same for 1b and 1c, but there, the extra moisture will enhance what curl pattern is present.

Soo I'm really a 1a because the more moisture, the flatter my hair is?

Heh, hairtyping is really confusing when you think looong and hard about it. Maybe we really should start to differentiate between coarser 1s and finer 1s, like ericthegreat suggested (I believe)

headtrip_honey
August 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM

Glad it's constant for you; it isn't for me. There's a noticeable difference in my hair's volume when I don't use conditioner.

The amount of tangle I have is negligible whether or not I use conditioner, and I do regular deep conditioning treatments overnight so avoid having to use it daily. My hairdresser has always commented on how healthy and undamaged my hair is (even though I rarely go more than once in six months).

I think the need for conditioner use, as in all things, varies by person. I don't seem to need it that much. I hate the way it feels in my hair. I have a sensitive scalp that reacts to *most* things I put on it, so I try to keep it as simple as possible.

My wave pattern is also more pronounced without conditioner, strangely enough.

Angeletti
August 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
-snip-

I think it just depends on the individual, I'm a 1a and my hair holds curl when using rag/sponge curlers and braid waves tend to work as well. Back when I used to use hot rollers I'd get decent curls, although when using heat I'd always have to load my hair with hairspray if I wanted them to last for a while otherwise they would fall out a bit.

Eternal.Fiend
August 23rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
I think I'm 1a. This hair typing thing is difficult.... when my hair was shorter and layered, the end would flick, but that was it. Any longer then shoulder length, and they don't seem to be there. I don't often have my hair without braid waves/ foam roller curls in so it's hard. I'll have to try and not touch my hair next time I was it to realy see.

My hair doesn't really hold curl too well, it needs alot of hairspray for them to stay in my hair, even curls/waves done from foam rollers/braids fall out, but not as quickly as when I use heat :)

MsBubbles
August 23rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't think there's any doubt at all that I'm a 1a, since I have zero volume, frizz or curl-ability. Is there a category for dead-straight but holds a curl, like Angeletti's (lucky!)?

I think the strand-thickness theory might help.

Lilli
August 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Here's me, but not a technical hairtyping picture, b/c I did use conditioner and comb it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3627&pictureid=101830

If I go by the canopy, I am 1b: one stretched out s-wave through the length of the hair. Gives it body, but everyone calls it straight.

If I do a true hairtyping wash (which I won't b/c it makes my hair way too dry, and not combing it doesn't make it curlier, just knotty), underneath the whole back canopy my hair is flattened spirals from scalp to shoulder. So I have 1b on top, and 2c underneath ("2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there").

I have tried to get it to be 2c all over, but nothing works. Moisture helps the waves; cones flatten the waves, and that's all I got.

So, I call myself 1b/1c, but it is completely inaccurate.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
There is one key factor that many people tend to forget or overlook when they try to hair-type. And this goes for everyone......................they forget to factor in the actual individual thickness of each of their hair strands. There is a WORLD of difference between a fine 1a and a coarse 1a, just like there is a world of difference between a fine 3c and a coarse 3c.

In fact, I would venture to say that we should actually treat and categorize hair more on whether it is fine or thick(as in coarse, not thick in density) rather than just its physical curl structure or lack of curl structure. See, a person with fine 3c hair would have to be very gentle with their hair and would do best to avoid extreme heat, or it would break/melt off their hair. The same would hold true for a fine 1a.

However, someone like me with coarse 1a/1b hair can bleach his hair to blonde and even get regular blow-outs and flat iron it, without causing any serious damage at all. The same would hold true for a black woman with a coarse afro.........she could flat-iron her hair pin-straight without seeing any noticeable damage to her hair either.

I do agree that texture (fine vs coarse) and porosity play a more important role in products and haircare than curl pattern does. I can do things that a finer 3b/a can't do because my coarser strands are tougher. I also need to work on moisture retention more than a non porous person who needs to work on getting moisture in in the first place.

ETA: But, I do think it would be nice if type matched photos more often.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
The properties you described fall under porosity, which isn't covered under a classifier. It is an important factor in products usage and care, though.

I strongly disagree. My hair is not poker straight, and typing the hair between 1b and 1c is difficult for me. (So I follow the hair routines and methods also from the 1cs. ) Especially the short hairs bend to many directions. It can be seen in my fringe photos too. Some random S-waves can also been seen after air drying in my temples, but the general impression of my hair is straight. It's very easy to create curls to my head, but keeping them curled over an hour... mission impossible. My hair will go back to its original texture, once my hair got from spiral curls to "body wave" in 15 minutes. Sometimes I thought the reason for that was too long hair, but unfortunately no. A few of F hair in my forehead could also effect on curling result, but the rest and the hugest part of my hair is M, so I guess I just have "Asian-like" hair. So it's heavy, slippery and doesn't damage easily.

Occasionally I've thought that some feature is missing from the hair typing. The roughness/slipperiness of the hair. Because slippery hair won't tangle easily and stands heat& chemicals better than easily tangling, furthermore already rough hair. For example, my boyfriend and I have quite similar texture when it comes to these "codes". I have 1b M ii/iii and he has 1b M ii. But we can't use the same hair products. His hair hates protein and keratin, while my hair loves them and gets less slippery by using them. And in the morning, my hair has almost no tangles, but his hair looks something like the troll with his tangles. Even though I use chemicals&heat more and have longer hair than his.

Those qualities you describe fall under porosity, which isn't a category here. It is important in product choice, though.
So, what do you think about the 4th feature in hair typing? The F/M/C feature doesn't include that (isn't the Asian hair generally C?) The property that hair doesn't hold curl well, could be one key factor.

Teufelchen
August 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I think the real trouble is, that even fine hair can be quite robust. My ends have 25 chemical dye ( the permanent one) treatments, shampoo only and wear down all the time and are at 40" and still free of split ends and healthy. I have very low porosity though, which I guess makes up for it.
A friend on the other hand has medium to coarse hair and her hair started breakin off after one treatment with semi-permanent dye, even though she conditioned like crazy.

My hair is stick-straight and I think the description of it as just hanging down as it would follow a ruler is really good. The lack of volume is also very prominent on my hair.
I never had the ends "flip" like the 1b type has. I'd love to have, but I just don't. I accepted it as part of my hair. I have no volume no matter if I use conditioner or not.

I guess on of the problem of miss-typing is, that the pics on the original website are sometimes missleading. I think if people would really stick to the text it would solve a lot of confusion.
Additionally you should type your hair when it dried without manipulation. This is very important, but often forgotten.

Artsy
August 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I have typed myself as a 1b, but I am not completely sure if I am 1b or 1c. The last time I tried to type myself few month ago (clarified + dried without touching) and I got two kinks, at the neck area and just below shoulders. My ends dry straight without flipping unless I twirl them. I get few tangle waves usually as well since I have layers. I also can't scrunch my hair into consistent looking waves. If I blowdry, my hair looks flatironed, so I never have to use the evil thing:D I damp-curl my ends in a cinnamon bun, and they hold the wave for few hours and give me nice body. It does not frizz in West Coast climate, but I was one big frizzball with no wave in Mexico:rolleyes:
I guess since I'm still going to wash today, I'll try to do a typing pic again hmm

Ostelot
August 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
redcelticcurls: Right, porosity is the word. Sorry, English isn't my first language and sometimes it's hard to express myself. Well, it could be nice if others followed your example and told in their hair discription about their porosity. :) It would help to choose the right hair products and toys for each hair type. So, which would be the correct word for me? :rolleyes:

Edit. Btw, I'm still quite curious about this feature. Does it vary so much also in the 2s, 3s and 4s?

torrilin
August 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Glad it's constant for you; it isn't for me. There's a noticeable difference in my hair's volume when I don't use conditioner.

Yep. But you're typing as f/m, and I'm a plain F. Since we're not doing micron tests on our heads, it's all guesstimates... but I'm pretty sure on my type, since I can compare my hair to micron tested sheep's wool pretty easily. Most of my strands are a reasonable comp for a "medium" wool that grades at maybe 32-40 microns. I have a very few isolated strands that are a good comp for kemp hairs in sheep, and those are maybe 100 microns, so like anyone else there isn't uniformity on my head. So yeah, my volume doesn't change much from day to day. On an extremely good volume day, my hair stands out from my head perhaps as much as a half inch. Most days, I sport the drowned rat look or bald look that folks in the fine hair threads love to complain about. I don't worry a lot about it because it's pretty obvious to me that I have a lot of hair. A 2.5-3" ponytail circumference is marvelously reassuring that way.

And as far as tangle... it seems to me like every hair type bitches about tangles. But the range of what each type considers routine vs problematic seems to vary a lot. You're at an extreme in terms of tangle level, and most people don't have anything like that kind of experience. (unfortunately for us) I'm probably at another extreme for tangles, since it's pretty easy for my hair to form actual dreadlocks if it isn't contained. It takes between 24 and 48 hours for the natural dreads to start forming... so it's not surprising that I'm a huge fan of anything that prevents that.

At this point I'm kind of suspecting dry skin as one of the factors in my tangling. Another factor seems to be chemical... some shampoo detergents seem to promote tangling in my hair, others inhibit it. Some conditioners promote tangling, others inhibit it. It's an interesting puzzle. One factor that I do have down is build up. For whatever reason (and I suspect there's some interesting chemistry in play), my hair is prone to hard water build up. Deal with that, and some of my tangle issues vanish.

I don't necessarily think it is worth trying to condense all this stuff into a hair type. The similarities and differences matter, but it is very hard to convey the nuance involved in the difference between Angeletti's hair and say... mine. Or my sister's and mine, since pretty much only people who know us very well can tell us apart without relying on trivial cues like hair dye.

headtrip_honey
August 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
And as far as tangle... it seems to me like every hair type bitches about tangles. But the range of what each type considers routine vs problematic seems to vary a lot. You're at an extreme in terms of tangle level, and most people don't have anything like that kind of experience. (unfortunately for us) I'm probably at another extreme for tangles, since it's pretty easy for my hair to form actual dreadlocks if it isn't contained. It takes between 24 and 48 hours for the natural dreads to start forming... so it's not surprising that I'm a huge fan of anything that prevents that.

At this point I'm kind of suspecting dry skin as one of the factors in my tangling. Another factor seems to be chemical... some shampoo detergents seem to promote tangling in my hair, others inhibit it. Some conditioners promote tangling, others inhibit it. It's an interesting puzzle. One factor that I do have down is build up. For whatever reason (and I suspect there's some interesting chemistry in play), my hair is prone to hard water build up. Deal with that, and some of my tangle issues vanish.

I completely commiserate with tangle, because while I don't have much of an issue now (don't ask me why...I don't know), my hair used to form huge mats at the back of my neck, especially during the winter when it would rub against my coat collar.

What I should say re: tangle...it's not that I don't have any, it's that the amount of tangle I get doesn't vary that much whether or not I use conditioner. I still get tangle with conditioner. (But again, I don't like using a lot since I have a very oily and sensitive scalp. So maybe I don't use enough to make a difference.)

Since I'm not even APL, the amount of tangle I get is clearly less than others. But I've always had some. When I was young it was so bad and my scalp was so sensitive my mother just hacked off all my hair because she was sick of me complaining. But that was also when my hair was ALL super fine. The texture has changed over the last few years. Maybe a result of hormonal birth control, maybe age. Who knows.

You and I have similar ponytail circumferences, by the way. I'm just over 2.5" when my hair is a little greasy, and I don't have my bangs in it. When I wrangle my bangs in, and I've freshly washed, it's closer to 2.75"...once I got near a 3" ponytail, but I think I may have measured wrong because I don't think I've gotten that again. I look like a complete drowned rat with wet hair. It's why I always braid my hair at the beach. At least that way I'm controlling the drowned look!

FluffSpider
August 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
In my opinion, the curl-holding doesn't mean much for the wave, but for how coarse the hair is. Fine hair will hold curl better because it's not resisting so much, while coarse hair will tend to shift to its own idea faster. Thinner hair is easier to curl (and keeps curls) better than thicker hair-i've noticed that when i section off smaller pieces I get kinkier curl than when doing a larger piece(same reason why stylists straighten hair bit by bit, not chunk by chunk. So you can shape each individual strand of a lock, instead of the front and back of the hair bit)

For me 1a is hair that sits dead-on straight. Poker straight. Looks like it's straightened with an iron daily. No, hourly. By the ' hair untouched instructions for hairtyping, I understand one shouldn't brush hair or braid of bun it to achieve a certain look. Because if you don't touch it by messing it while drying, you may be touching it when you squeeze off excess water-> slight wave at the squeezy place. At one point when wet, you will touch it, regardless.

1b and 1c is a bit more difficult. 1b I believe has the odd wave-ish pattern, which might frizz a teeny tiny bit, and straightens out immediately by BBBing/ a blast of low-setting blowfryer/wrap. hair that sits a bit 'wispier' at ends-one end here the other one a bit at an angle, but the rest of the hair is straight-that pretty much defines 1b for me

1c I believe has the wave pattern of a wet, towel-patted 1b-but when dry. It's hair that looks like it has 'beach waves' when wet, but straightens out easily to something noone would call a curl or a true wave.

basically:
1a Perfectly paralel hairs
1b hairs that are paralel in the body, but at the ends it might break the pattern-but they start paralell from the scalp
1c-hairs that may or may not start paralell from the scalp- one 'chunk' may be slightly tangent to another.

But that's just my two cents

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
redcelticcurls: Right, porosity is the word. Sorry, English isn't my first language and sometimes it's hard to express myself. Well, it could be nice if others followed your example and told in their hair discription about their porosity. :) It would help to choose the right hair products and toys for each hair type. So, which would be the correct word for me? :rolleyes:

Edit. Btw, I'm still quite curious about this feature. Does it vary so much also in the 2s, 3s and 4s?

I thought you were a native English speaker, it's that good.

I think that porosity is independent from curl type, much like f/m/c is.

Non porous hair has that glassy feel.

Ostelot
August 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Oh, thank you for the compliment, redcelticcurls. :)
Now I have also information of my porosity in the (hair) biography section.

BlazingHeart
August 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I just wanted to add that not holding curl is not strictly a 1a trait. I have 2a hair and I can't get a curl to stay in to save my life.

I think someone else mentioned that they thought it was a fine vs coarse thing, and I'd agree with that. My mostly-medium hair is hard to curl, but the coarse stuff at the nape just laughs at curling irons - way harder to curl than the rest.

~Blaze

Teufelchen
August 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
And curl-holding has nothing to do with fine or coarse, I have fine to medium strands and I cannot get curls or even waves to hold. My hair just hates to be manipulated.

Ashenputtel
August 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm a 1b. Someone said in another thread that 1b hair sometimes behave like a 1a, sometimes like a 1c. My hair is also pretty fine and have a good tickness. My ends are J shaped and I sometimes have a pretty flat S. I can't hold heat styling but hold braid waves and bun waves pretty well. My hair loves aloe vera and I put it quite often in my damp hair.

I have a question for you straighties, do you have difficulty to oil your hair without making it look very peacy and a bit greasy? I every time I oil it I need to wear it up.

Artsy
August 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Oiling without stringiness takes a bit of practice to achieve the amount that is just enough:) just try putting less and try on wet hair

Zesty
August 23rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Now I feel like the odd one out -- I've never really had any doubts about classifying my hair as 1c. My hair looks straight overall, but it flips at the ends and has some body wave, and I have stretched out S-waves at the nape of my neck (these sometimes also seem to "influence" the hairs on top of them, so they show up further away from the nape of my neck). I'm definitely not 1a. 1b is defined as having body wave, but I have more than that since I have those more defined waves underneath. I'm definitely a 1 because no one would ever peg me as a wavy. So I must be 1c. :shrug: I've always thought of my nape waves as the defining factor for that, since my canopy looks 1a/1b sometimes. My hair also likes wave, but doesn't hold curl well.

Mesmerise
August 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I think 1a is pretty easy to define! It's dead straight hair without a single wave at all. 1b and 1c may be a little more difficult. However, if I was hairtyping someone, I would call them a 1b if their hair was overall very straight but had a couple of areas where the hair wasn't completely straight... as in dead straight without even a hint of wave. So just a teeny bit of "movement" would denote 1b for me. Once the hair shows what can be a "wave" I would put it in the 1c cagegory.

If your hair shows an S wave at all (even a long stretched out S) I'm thinking it's more 1c than 1b (unless there's only an S wave at the sides, say, or underneath, and the rest on top is much straighter).

It's also hard because hair is often a mix of types. I have hair that ranges from 1b to 2c... I just call myself 2a for convenience :p. So yeah, if your hair is pretty straight but has an S wave at the sides, you may still want to call yourself 1b even though the waves at the sides are more 1c.

Arya
August 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
In my opinion, the curl-holding doesn't mean much for the wave, but for how coarse the hair is. Fine hair will hold curl better because it's not resisting so much, while coarse hair will tend to shift to its own idea faster. Thinner hair is easier to curl (and keeps curls) better than thicker hair-i've noticed that when i section off smaller pieces I get kinkier curl than when doing a larger piece(same reason why stylists straighten hair bit by bit, not chunk by chunk. So you can shape each individual strand of a lock, instead of the front and back of the hair bit)

For me 1a is hair that sits dead-on straight. Poker straight. Looks like it's straightened with an iron daily. No, hourly. By the ' hair untouched instructions for hairtyping, I understand one shouldn't brush hair or braid of bun it to achieve a certain look. Because if you don't touch it by messing it while drying, you may be touching it when you squeeze off excess water-> slight wave at the squeezy place. At one point when wet, you will touch it, regardless.

1b and 1c is a bit more difficult. 1b I believe has the odd wave-ish pattern, which might frizz a teeny tiny bit, and straightens out immediately by BBBing/ a blast of low-setting blowfryer/wrap. hair that sits a bit 'wispier' at ends-one end here the other one a bit at an angle, but the rest of the hair is straight-that pretty much defines 1b for me

1c I believe has the wave pattern of a wet, towel-patted 1b-but when dry. It's hair that looks like it has 'beach waves' when wet, but straightens out easily to something noone would call a curl or a true wave.

basically:
1a Perfectly paralel hairs
1b hairs that are paralel in the body, but at the ends it might break the pattern-but they start paralell from the scalp
1c-hairs that may or may not start paralell from the scalp- one 'chunk' may be slightly tangent to another.

But that's just my two cents

I like fluff spider's definition, but I'd like clarification on 'body wave'.
See, I typed myself as 1b because I don't have what I would truly call S waves, I'm definitely nowhere near a 2a. Sure, at the end, they tend to S a bit completely untouched, but the minute you move around/brush it whatever, I still get bends. However, no matter how much I brush my hair, I cannot get it completely poker straight. So under fluffspider's classification of 'no amount of brushing will make it pin straight', wouldnt that make me a firm 1c?

But I'm pretty sure that the bends I'm talking about are a product of having fine hair, not the type itself. I'm pretty sure that coarseness is what gives straight hair its poker straightness from top to bottom, while finer hair will tend to have more bends.

torrilin
August 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
And curl-holding has nothing to do with fine or coarse, I have fine to medium strands and I cannot get curls or even waves to hold. My hair just hates to be manipulated.

Quoting for truth, because I've had perms bleach me from ash brown to blonde and still fall right out when washed. Heat curls fall out even faster. And as noted above, my hair is really fine.

With *great* care and the right hair care techniques and luck, I can sometimes manage to coax my hair to show off the waves it gets naturally. However, just moving my head is enough to break up the wave formation...

Milui Elenath
August 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
I also have to debunk the fine hair holds curl easier because its just not true for me.

Slightly off topic, how does one determine the porosity of hair?

TrudieCat
August 23rd, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think 1a is pretty easy to define! It's dead straight hair without a single wave at all. 1b and 1c may be a little more difficult. However, if I was hairtyping someone, I would call them a 1b if their hair was overall very straight but had a couple of areas where the hair wasn't completely straight... as in dead straight without even a hint of wave. So just a teeny bit of "movement" would denote 1b for me. Once the hair shows what can be a "wave" I would put it in the 1c cagegory.

If your hair shows an S wave at all (even a long stretched out S) I'm thinking it's more 1c than 1b (unless there's only an S wave at the sides, say, or underneath, and the rest on top is much straighter).

This is how I think of it as well. I'm firmly in the 2 range, but what I'm thinking of for 1b is kind of what I used to get when I flat ironed. I could never get my hair poker straight, it always had flippy ends and just more of a roundish shape to it then poker straight hair does. But, it was still definitely straight, no s-curves. Df's family all has hair like this, sans heat styling, so I know it's not just a quirk of wavy-gone-flat-ironed hair - it does exist in the wild. :)

What I think of as a "body wave" is more like one long stretched out s-curve, where the bend happens not just at the ends of the hair but somewhere along the length of the strand. That is what I would think would be 1c.

Once you've got more than one s-curve stacked along the hair's length, then you're getting into 2a, IMO.

AnnaJamila
August 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I said 1b because the ends turn under just a bit and I have a patch of wavy hair behind my left ear (lol, weird!).

I was also a bit puzzled by the differentiation in types. Oh, I'm a medium texture, btw.

MsBubbles
August 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
I don't think 1a hair looks like it has been straightened daily, or hourly. I wish mine did look like that, because to me, wavy hair that has been straightened still has way more body than mine ever will. My hair doesn't look like it has been straightened at all. It looks like it has been sprayed with a fine mist 24/7. That's how flat it is!

katsrevenge
August 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
I also have to debunk the fine hair holds curl easier because its just not true for me.

Slightly off topic, how does one determine the porosity of hair?

One way to do it is to take some shed hair and toss it in water. If it floats, non-porous. If it quickly sinks, very porous. If it takes it's time.. somewhere in the middle.

I know there are other ways though.

redcelticcurls
August 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
One way to do it is to take some shed hair and toss it in water. If it floats, non-porous. If it quickly sinks, very porous. If it takes it's time.. somewhere in the middle.

I know there are other ways though.

That way is notoriously inaccurate, though. I'm quite porous, but I know how to teat it to make it act less porous. I can be able to float a hair even though I'm porous.

Partway into this link, there is a section that talks about porosity. It's a curly website, but the porosity portion works for any hairtype.

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm

Also, care preferences can provide a clue. Non porous people do better with baking soda and shampoo bars than porous hair. Those things can be very rough on porous hair. Porous hair had a hard time retaining moisture. It can be conditioned, but it tends to not last. Non porous hair is harder to condition, which is why alkaline things like bars and baking soda work well for them. It rough up the hair cuticle enough to be able to condition. Porous hair is more affected by humidity issues than non porous hair. I have a 2 inch circumference difference in my ponytail between summer and winter.

hypersensitive
August 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Very robust thread we have :)

To add my few cents, I think it would supplement hair typing if you classify by what you are NOT.

For example, I know I am not 1a because if I were to flat iron, my hair will become even straighter. If I hold my hair up against a straight edge, a ruler, for instance, I would notice a slight curling inward at the ends.

I know I am not a 1c because I don't have a noticeable wave, or even a beginning of a wave anywhere.

I just have lots of body, some frizz but most people would classify me as straight overall. That leaves me with 1b.

CariadA
August 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM
This is very interesting.

I can never tell if I am 1b or 1c. My hair looks totally straight but it gets slightly frizzy on top and I have one small patch of "s" curves on the left side of my nape. The rest just looks so straight. I also have fine hair that won't hold a curl longer than 5 minutes.

Rosetta
August 24th, 2011, 12:54 AM
A good thread! I, like most others here it seems, find the exact typing quite difficult. My hair is definitely straight but not quite poker-straight, but the main thing is that anything I do to my hair leaves some kind of "mark" on it, some kind of waves - any updo, even tucking my hair behind my ears leaves those parts wavy!! That's why I couldn't classify myself as 1a, but not quite 1b either; but this "impressionability" of course may be just due to fineness of my hair... OTOH, my hair doesn't hold actual "curler curls" very long... Oh well.

I have no idea what type of 1 I am. I find hairtyping very difficult -- I have never been able to just let it dry without touching! Ever! All photos on LHC are either: blowdried straight, combed/brushed while wet, put into bun/braid for at least a bit while drying. I honestly don't understand how anyone can walk around for full drying time without touching their hair! :lol:
Me neither ;) I usually need to contain it somehow during drying...

Teufelchen
August 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Which means you are a 1c.

To make thing even more complicated there are the mixed types like i.e. 1b/c
I totally agree with Hypersensitive, that checking what you are not is the best way to get it right.

And I agree with MsBubbles than my hair has way less volume than a flat-ironed hair.

We shouldn't forget, that even a 1c hair might be referred to as straight by the world outside hair forums.

kme81
August 24th, 2011, 01:47 AM
"Body Waves"... Are these body as in volume adding, or are they waves that follow parts of the body (ie. the curve of the neck).

kidari
August 24th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I think 1a is poker straight, 1b is straight but has some body to it without any waves or curls...
1c/2a is where it gets confusing for me actually. I've never really done that whole thing of clarifying and then not touching it and air drying without any products or manipulation so I personally have no clue what my hair type is. I do agree that cones and manipulation of the hair while drying can make it dry straight and going cone-free and tons of moisture enhances body and curls. So 1b/1c/2a can look different on different days? What exactly makes a hair hold curl well and not hold a curl at all? My hair can dry straight like a 1b some days and other days like 1c/2a depending. But when I curl it on purpose it never holds tight spiral curls; they fall out right away into waves and the waves stay until I wash.

freckles
August 24th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Very robust thread we have :)

To add my few cents, I think it would supplement hair typing if you classify by what you are NOT.

For example, I know I am not 1a because if I were to flat iron, my hair will become even straighter. If I hold my hair up against a straight edge, a ruler, for instance, I would notice a slight curling inward at the ends.

I know I am not a 1c because I don't have a noticeable wave, or even a beginning of a wave anywhere.

I just have lots of body, some frizz but most people would classify me as straight overall. That leaves me with 1b.

This is pretty much how I typed as well! I'm not a 1c because I can't point out a 'wave' in my hair ever, unless they're braid/bun waves. However, I'm not a 1a because occasionally I have seen 'non straight bits' (J flicks, for example) in my hair. So I figure I must be a 1b.

Raiscake
August 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I too get very confused with typing my hair. It's definitely not poker straight. On a good day, my hair is still fairly straight though with the ends flicking inwards. Most days, I have little S-waves on the ends of my hair. I'm talking the individual hairs. I have a lot of layers so they kinda give the illusion of wavy hair, when it's really just the ends that wave out. The bottom half of my hair is much longer than my upper half, and it's much straighter. They're very straight except the ends which simply curve in (not an S-wave).

I'm not sure what type my hair is. I put in 1c coz that seems to be the closest one. My hair holds curls pretty well. I get really nice bun waves from putting my hair up all the time.

florenonite
August 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM
"Body Waves"... Are these body as in volume adding, or are they waves that follow parts of the body (ie. the curve of the neck).

I think it's body as in volume. So a 1a has hair that falls dead straight, but a 1b has hair that appears straight but has more volume, and 1c hair is overall straight in appearance but with a few waves, including those following the curves of the body.

Artsy
August 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I think it's body as in volume. So a 1a has hair that falls dead straight, but a 1b has hair that appears straight but has more volume, and 1c hair is overall straight in appearance but with a few waves, including those following the curves of the body.

This defenition of the body wave has me completely confused now. My hair does not have any body:D It lays very flat towards my head.

So yesterday I did a clarifying wash and dried my hair in a sun without touching. It dried surprizingly quickly with lots of shine and no frizz at all. I didn't have a problem brushing it after, it was very slippery.
Here are the pics (sorry for a crappy quality, I couldn't find my camera):
untouched on the left and brushed on the right
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6273&pictureid=110947

So am I an 1B or 1c?:confused:

Intransigentia
August 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I think I may have prototypical 1b, fine, non-porous hair (but no photos really showing it currently - I'm going to try a proper typing this weekend). When it was short and layered, the ends would flip out with just a bit of scrunching/encouragement, and I had one stubborn cowlick at the back. Now that it's longer and almost all one length, it hangs basically straight down, still with a very slight J at the bottom. I can get a bit of lasting volume at the roots by putting it in a high bun while wet, and letting it dry that way, but curls, whether with curling iron, sock bun, or braidwaves, last maybe an hour and a half before going to slightly rumpled but not quite flat.

Edit: After reading the reference on texture and porosity at Live Curly Live Free (http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm), I think I've actually got medium texture and medium-low porosity.

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
This was always my understanding of it:

1a - poker straight and very flat - basically naturally like flat-ironed hair; also very likely looks like it has little volume/body because it lies so straight and flat

1b - straight (no visible waves) but not poker straight as it has much more volume/body than 1a hair due to subtle non-straightness that is not great enough to manifest as waves but is enough to hold the hairs out from each other more

1c - broadly speaking is straight but has volume/body and maybe the beginnings of what one might call a wave; e.g. straight hair with one crook in it midway down the length that is not big enough / extensive enough to be called a wave

Hence, by that definition I am a 1b - no waves whatsoever but without that poker straightness and lack of body seen in a 1a.

well if im going by this definition i am definetly a 1B

florenonite
August 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
This defenition of the body wave has me completely confused now. My hair does not have any body:D It lays very flat towards my head.

So yesterday I did a clarifying wash and dried my hair in a sun without touching. It dried surprizingly quickly with lots of shine and no frizz at all. I didn't have a problem brushing it after, it was very slippery.

I think you're 1c. You've got stretched out S-waves and it certainly looks like you have body when you don't touch it while drying.

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6273&pictureid=110947

that looks like 1c to me!

ingvild
August 24th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Artsy, there is one wave there at least! Maybe you are inbetween?

I'm think I'm a 1C - here is a picture - do you all agree?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/pingvingvild_/bsl2.jpg

I've thought of 1C as, you have waves, but your hair doesn't appear to be wavy.

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
hmmm! well after reading this thread i think i typed my hair wrong! I think im actually 1b because although my hair is dead straight it does have quite a bit of body to it! :)

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Artsy, there is one wave there at least! Maybe you are inbetween?

I'm think I'm a 1C - here is a picture - do you all agree?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/pingvingvild_/bsl2.jpg

I've thought of 1C as, you have waves, but your hair doesn't appear to be wavy.

i totally agree that you are 1c! I wish i had some wave like you. Your hair is beautiful :)

SwordWomanRiona
August 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
This thread looks interesting.
I'm definitely an 1a, so no ambiguity regarding my hair type. It's completely straight, no body wave to it. Sometimes I notice that the ends bend slightly, but that would hardly apply for 1b, I suppose.
And it's very stubborn before getting wavy (I do not say curly because it wouldn't get curly, no matter how hard I tried!). That used to bug me a lot before, and I complained bitterly about my completely straight stubborn hair. Plus the fact that it doesn't have a lot of volume, because it's so straight and fine. I still complain about these things, but it's much more sporadical now, and thanks to LHC I'm beginning to take pleasure in the soft sleekness of fine 1a hair (thank you, LHC! :)).
Anyway, rant over, I'm going to read this thread quite thoroughly, because I just can't decide if my mum is a full 1c or a 1c/2a :D

Artsy
August 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I think you're 1c. You've got stretched out S-waves and it certainly looks like you have body when you don't touch it while drying.

I guess that is right regarding stretched s-waves. The last time I was hairtyping myself, I was just above BSL, so those were not that pronounced. My hair does not have body though:( I with it had.

Artsy
August 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
i totally agree that you are 1c! I wish i had some wave like you. Your hair is beautiful :)
Hmm I don't have waves like these unless I wear a bun for few hours. These waves look pretty

islandboo
August 24th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I assume I am 1a, but I am incapable of not combing my hair in the shower - I simply cannot do it. I can barely stand to not comb it afterwards. The one time I did was for the picture on the right. The "wave" by my neck is just where my hair follows the curve of my head and shoulder. It flows like water over whatever surface it finds. The picture on the left is after catnip (but no product), and a few swipes with a tangle teezer. I do have a slight J curve at the very ends, though - is that enough for 1b?

http://i.imgur.com/KBwfc.png

Mesmerise
August 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Another thing to consider with hair typing is that hair that is shorter may not appear the same type as hair that is longer, and layering hair can also impact on how wavy it looks! Often layers bring out the waves in people's hair, so it appears a bit wavier (may change from a 1b to a 1c for example), and I know on my hair that if it's shorter, it appears wavier than when it's longer (I guess the waves stretch out, and my hair doesn't get curls from sitting on my shoulders).

So, even if you try and hair type yourself as perfectly as possible, your hair type could change as it grows longer/gets cut shorter, or you change styles!

oktobergoud
August 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Just something random. I consider myself a 1c, but it is impossible to type my hair as it is still supershort.
It normally looks like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/Fotoop06-08-2011om13122.jpg

But when it rains, it gets WAVY! Does anyone else has that as well? Does rain affect your hair?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loe4mabcWW1qgbo5so1_500.jpg this was mine a few months ago after a rainy day...

It's always wavier when I have freshly washed it (with shampoo or co-washing, doesn't matter! it just seems to get wavy as soon as it has been wetted or something?), and the next day it can be a lot more straight with less body.. it's a bit annoying :P Does anyone else has that as well?

Artsy
August 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Another thing to consider with hair typing is that hair that is shorter may not appear the same type as hair that is longer, and layering hair can also impact on how wavy it looks! Often layers bring out the waves in people's hair, so it appears a bit wavier (may change from a 1b to a 1c for example), and I know on my hair that if it's shorter, it appears wavier than when it's longer (I guess the waves stretch out, and my hair doesn't get curls from sitting on my shoulders).

So, even if you try and hair type yourself as perfectly as possible, your hair type could change as it grows longer/gets cut shorter, or you change styles!

I agree, and I also noticed that the way the hair is treated changes the waviness as well. When I was putting highlights in, I was a definite 2. The new growth is straighter and smoother. So it is hard to be exact, but I don't think it is that necesary. Just curiosity:)

LaFlor
August 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I think I am more confused after reading this than before :) Why does it have to be so complicated?!

Arya
August 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Here's the problem I have with describing 1a as poker straight /ironed daily.
1 b and 1 c are HUGE groups with a bit of variation on the ends of the scale, shouldn't there be some wiggle room in the 1 a category at all? I think that islandboo is a perfect example that shows the diversity of a 1a.

BlazingHeart
August 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Huh, the definitions of 1c given here make me think maybe I'm 2b rather than 2a!

Edited to add: I keep finding definitions of 2b that say it looks like braidwaves. I'd have to do braids about 1" diameter for my braidwaves to be as tight as my natural waves, so I guess that counts.

annieangel149
August 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
i've changed my mind again! Im 1a! how confusing! lol!!

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I would venture to say that I'm pretty close to a "textbook" 1a - stick straight, zero frizz, no volume, extremely reluctant to hold a curl. My hair texture is Medium; if I pinch a strand between my thumb & forefinger, it feels similar to a piece of fine thread.

My hair is always completely straight, irrespective of my hair care routine. Cones, no-cones, dried-out or moisturized, clarified, CO washed, unwashed, you name it, and piggy's hair remains just as straight as can be. Observe, my original hairtyping photo, taken after clarifying with Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, no conditioner, no oil, air-dried, unbrushed, uncombed:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair20100806-2.jpg

The total lack of any kind of curvature is most obvious when my hair is viewed from the side:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/frontbacklength-1.jpg

Teufelchen
August 26th, 2011, 02:08 AM
That sounds so much like my hair, apart from being F/M instead of M. :wink:

luxepiggy
August 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
That sounds so much like my hair, apart from being F/M instead of M. :wink:

Almost hair-twins!:beerchug:

Teufelchen
August 26th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Oh, that's cool I found an almost hair twin. :cheer:

Ashenputtel
August 26th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I did the test and I have high porosity, according to this I should ditch humectants and concentrate on proteins, anybody know a good cone free condish with proteins? I would prefer something non eco-toxic, phtalate and parabens free with no artificial fragrance.

SwordWomanRiona
August 26th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I assume I am 1a, but I am incapable of not combing my hair in the shower - I simply cannot do it. I can barely stand to not comb it afterwards. The one time I did was for the picture on the right. The "wave" by my neck is just where my hair follows the curve of my head and shoulder. It flows like water over whatever surface it finds. The picture on the left is after catnip (but no product), and a few swipes with a tangle teezer. I do have a slight J curve at the very ends, though - is that enough for 1b?

http://i.imgur.com/KBwfc.png

I also get those slight curves at the ends, but I don't think my hair qualifies for 1b, seeing as there's no body wave whatsoever in the rest of my hair.

SwordWomanRiona
August 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I would venture to say that I'm pretty close to a "textbook" 1a - stick straight, zero frizz, no volume, extremely reluctant to hold a curl. My hair texture is Medium; if I pinch a strand between my thumb & forefinger, it feels similar to a piece of fine thread.

My hair is always completely straight, irrespective of my hair care routine. Cones, no-cones, dried-out or moisturized, clarified, CO washed, unwashed, you name it, and piggy's hair remains just as straight as can be. Observe, my original hairtyping photo, taken after clarifying with Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, no conditioner, no oil, air-dried, unbrushed, uncombed:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair20100806-2.jpg

The total lack of any kind of curvature is most obvious when my hair is viewed from the side:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/frontbacklength-1.jpg

This looks very much like my own 1a hair! "completely straight, zero frizz, no volume, extremely reluctant to hold a curl..." That sounds familiar! :D
Here's the proof:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6053021577_2ff865cc9e.jpg
I think I qualify for a true straight 1a, even if my ends do bend up a bit sometimes.

Charybdis
August 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Just something random. I consider myself a 1c, but it is impossible to type my hair as it is still supershort.
It normally looks like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/Fotoop06-08-2011om13122.jpg

But when it rains, it gets WAVY! Does anyone else has that as well? Does rain affect your hair?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loe4mabcWW1qgbo5so1_500.jpg this was mine a few months ago after a rainy day...

It's always wavier when I have freshly washed it (with shampoo or co-washing, doesn't matter! it just seems to get wavy as soon as it has been wetted or something?), and the next day it can be a lot more straight with less body.. it's a bit annoying :P Does anyone else has that as well?

Oktobergoud, I think you're well into 2 territory. What your hair is doing is similar to what mine does when short, and I am in no way, shape, or form a 1. I'm actually thinking I may be retyping my hair to a full-on 2b when it gets longer and I can get a better view of the full wave pattern. (It looks 2a in photos from when it was waist-length 15 years ago, but I always let it dry loose overnight as I slept, and I now suspect it would look 2b if allowed to dry unmanipulated.) That kicky-out-y thing your hair is doing near your temples? WAVES, baby! :-)

luxepiggy
August 26th, 2011, 03:47 AM
This looks very much like my own 1a hair! "completely straight, zero frizz, no volume, extremely reluctant to hold a curl..." That sounds familiar! :D
Here's the proof:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6053021577_2ff865cc9e.jpg
I think I qualify for a true straight 1a, even if my ends do bend up a bit sometimes.

I concur - hurrah! It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow 1a! Your hair is beautiful (^(oo)^)/"

SwordWomanRiona
August 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I concur - hurrah! It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow 1a! Your hair is beautiful (^(oo)^)/"

Thanks, fellow 1a :) I think your hair's gorgeous, such an inspiration for straighties :)

maborosi
August 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
My hair's almost completely straight, except that it can hold a (sponge roller, not heat) curl very, very well. I don't see too much frizzing except on a windy day, but I'm definitely a 1b and not a 1a because I see an ever so slight bend in my hair. It's about Fine/Medium thickness because some strands are almost impossible to feel, while a lot of them, I can feel and they feel like a small piece of yarn.

Maybe someday I'll post a picture of it for hairtyping.

~maborosi~

Arya
August 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
My hair's almost completely straight, except that it can hold a (sponge roller, not heat) curl very, very well. I don't see too much frizzing except on a windy day, but I'm definitely a 1b and not a 1a because I see an ever so slight bend in my hair. It's about Fine/Medium thickness because some strands are almost impossible to feel, while a lot of them, I can feel and they feel like a small piece of yarn.

Maybe someday I'll post a picture of it for hairtyping.

~maborosi~

But I'm sort of of the opinion that a slight bend in your hair should also be up for consideration for 1a.

Sure there are textbook on 1as like luxepiggy, but shouldn't there be a little wiggle room, like there are in other subcategories? 1 bend shouldn't necessarily disqualify you from 1a, should it?

Teufelchen
August 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would say you are a 1a/1b. Which means you've got a little bend, but not a body wave yet.

FluffSpider
August 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
@ Arya: I don't think the 'bend' is about the F/M/C factor. I've seen people with finer hair than I have, and (talking about one person)her hair is pin-straight. It's extremely soft, zero frizz, despite the fact that she uses shampoo only and blowfries, and washes it every 3 days. I have straight, fine hair as well, but looking at the two pictures compared, the difference is big enough that the actual pin-straighties deserve a category of their own. I think wiggle space can be found in 1b/1c, and if your hair wiggles more, then you should start looking into 2s:p

About the bend-it wouldn't disquality, if it's there because of a certain bodypart coaxing the hair into shape, or getting your hair stuck under your pillow/in a pony/ any other thing creating the wave or bump.

Arya
August 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
@ Arya: I don't think the 'bend' is about the F/M/C factor. I've seen people with finer hair than I have, and (talking about one person)her hair is pin-straight. It's extremely soft, zero frizz, despite the fact that she uses shampoo only and blowfries, and washes it every 3 days. I have straight, fine hair as well, but looking at the two pictures compared, the difference is big enough that the actual pin-straighties deserve a category of their own. I think wiggle space can be found in 1b/1c, and if your hair wiggles more, then you should start looking into 2s:p

About the bend-it wouldn't disquality, if it's there because of a certain bodypart coaxing the hair into shape, or getting your hair stuck under your pillow/in a pony/ any other thing creating the wave or bump.

hah, but that seems to be the issue! 1b is like, impossible to define, because 1as with a bend at the neck and ends that turn up ever so slightly are like I'm 1b!!! And 1cs who have a lot of wave but no defined 's' shape are like "I'm 1b!" so 1b ends up a weird mishmash of pinstraight to basicallywavy.

Perhaps if we had some sort of untouched/touched qualifer that would help? What about this:
1 a: Pin straight untouched. Brushing has no effect on straightness, or makes it so straight it can stab you in the eyes with it's supreme straightness. Rulers tremble in the presence of a 1a.

1 b: Slight body bends untouched, perhaps with slightly flippy ends. Brushing it straightens it to appear 1a.

1 c: Slight waves at the ends and body bends completely untouched, with one or two scattered s waves. Brushing it straightens it to appear 1b, but not 1a.

Thoughts?

MidnightStar
August 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hmm...this thread is very informative. I am thinking I need to re-type myself. I have myself down right now as a 2a. I have always had hair that is more wavy than straight, frizzes in humidity and my bangs flip up unless I flatiron them down (and even then it doesn't last all that long, especially in summer).
However, after looking at a lot of these photos, I'm thinking I'm more a 1c, possibly 1c/2a. I think it may have more to do with length - when my hair is short, it poofs up (I can remember having shoulder-length red hair in high school and looking like Bozo the Clown). Now that it's longer it seems less likely to dry wavy, but will take and hold a curl like nobody's business. I also think that henna/indigo is causing it to go straighter. If I brush it with my BBB, it tends to "poof" and look a little frizzy. In fact, I'd say "frizzy" is my hair's natural state unless it is confined in a bun or tamed by a brush/comb.
Hmm...so much to consider...

FluffSpider
August 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Not really:( As I said, even if you only pat it with a towel, you'll do SOME squeezing while wet. you'll sit on it. The wind will blow. Your cat will develop a penchant for sleeping on it.
I'd agree with your description if the 'brush' meant wide-toothed comb, and not agressively. that would smooth any bumps out yet not alter anything major

Becky9679
August 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm so glad to see a thread like this! When I first joined the forum I automatically typed myself as 1a because my entire life people had told me 'your hair is so straight' (particularly my mother who hates her 3c hair) or they've been shocked that I've never used a straightening iron in my life.

However after having looked more closely at the way my hair behaves I reclassified myself from a 1a to 1b/c. The body of my hair does look pretty straight but the ends always seem to flick out to one side or another. This is particularly noticeable at the moment because I'm growing out layers, so I must be at least a 1b. The 1c comes in because the sections of hair closest to my face always seem to have a slight 'S' wave to them. It's a very gentle one, barely noticeable, but I can see that it's there.

For a while I thought this was due to braiding or wearing it up in other ways because my hair picks up and holds a braid or bun wave very easily indeed but after purposely air drying without touching it at all it still does this.

I still don't know if my classification is accurate but I definitely think I have slightly more of a wave than I realised for all those years!

Kricket
August 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I say mine is 1b, but when it's short it waves up more so I don't think classifying has to be a hard and fast classification for always. =)

hypersensitive
August 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
However after having looked more closely at the way my hair behaves I reclassified myself from a 1a to 1b/c. The body of my hair does look pretty straight but the ends always seem to flick out to one side or another. This is particularly noticeable at the moment because I'm growing out layers, so I must be at least a 1b.

This is very true! When I had shoulder length hair, the ends would do a flip outward that annoyed the heck out of me. My hair was also layered then so I had the feathery flicks, the style that people try to emulate with a straight iron technique.

Perhaps if we had some sort of untouched/touched qualifer that would help? What about this:
1 a: Pin straight untouched. Brushing has no effect on straightness, or makes it so straight it can stab you in the eyes with it's supreme straightness. Rulers tremble in the presence of a 1a.

lol

1 b: Slight body bends untouched, perhaps with slightly flippy ends. Brushing it straightens it to appear 1a.

Perfect.

Ithonna
August 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I classify myself as 1c/2a. Can I be included?

oktobergoud
August 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Oktobergoud, I think you're well into 2 territory. What your hair is doing is similar to what mine does when short, and I am in no way, shape, or form a 1. I'm actually thinking I may be retyping my hair to a full-on 2b when it gets longer and I can get a better view of the full wave pattern. (It looks 2a in photos from when it was waist-length 15 years ago, but I always let it dry loose overnight as I slept, and I now suspect it would look 2b if allowed to dry unmanipulated.) That kicky-out-y thing your hair is doing near your temples? WAVES, baby! :-)

Mmm you think so? I find it so difficult, specially since my hair is so short! I feel it might get less wavy when it gets longer? When I see pictures of myself with longer hair, it's definitely still a bit wavy.. but not sure what kind of wavy (of course those are pictures when it's greasy and brushed etc. :P)
Sometimes I see pictures of people with 1c hair that make me think 'well if they're 1c than I'm definitely at least 1c or 2a!' and then I see more pictures and than I think 'mm or should I be 1b?' It's still confusing haha!

Teufelchen
August 26th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Let it grow and re-type it if needed. Texture changes are quite common, especially when you have major changes happening in your body. Additionally hair typing gets easier with more length.

These little bends everyone is talking about, I agree with Arya, that they are not present in 1a hair.
Maybe the classify 1a/b or even 1b.

Yame
August 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm a 1a, although I guess I can't be certain because I've never clarified and then let it air-dry without brushing. I wash my hair, I let it air-dry, and I brush it, and it looks like a 1a to me so this is what I've typed myself.

My hair is very straight and does not hold curls well. There are no waves or anything, but when it was around shoulder length it would flip randomly, in random places... like, just a small section of hair would flip. It was a very awkward length for me. Aside from that, there are no waves. But my hair does frizz, actually. When there is a lot of humidity, it can look awfully frizzy if I don't keep brushing it.

headtrip_honey
August 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I *finally* let my hair air dry without manipulating it at all. It was tough, because I like to comb my hair out and get maximum volume.

But here it is! I still think I'm a 1b overall, although the wavier bits could lean a little 1c. The back right there is the waviest part. It's not that wavy on the sides at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/supervixen024/photo-1.jpg

You can see the difference from my sig pic. That's my hair fully combed out and air dried. If I blowfry it, it will go pretty much pin straight, except for the back, which will still look a little wavy. After blowfrying it kinda looks like I brushed out crimped hair. But just in the back.

MissManda
August 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I *finally* let my hair air dry without manipulating it at all. It was tough, because I like to comb my hair out and get maximum volume.

But here it is! I still think I'm a 1b overall, although the wavier bits could lean a little 1c. The back right there is the waviest part. It's not that wavy on the sides at all.

You can see the difference from my sig pic. That's my hair fully combed out and air dried. If I blowfry it, it will go pretty much pin straight, except for the back, which will still look a little wavy. After blowfrying it kinda looks like I brushed out crimped hair. But just in the back.

I think your hair looks like 1c/2a, actually. :) It looks very soft and I like your wave pattern.

headtrip_honey
August 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I think your hair looks like 1c/2a, actually. :) It looks very soft and I like your wave pattern.

Thanks! My hair *is* super soft. My best friend calls it "textured air".

I guess I've never really let my hair just dry and be itself, so I've always seen my hair as "mostly straight, with some annoying waves that won't go away!"

luxepiggy
August 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM

I agree - piggy sees at least a couple of lovely "S" waves!

CariadA
August 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
headtrip_honey,

I also think you're a 1c/2a. You have lovely body and beautiful waves.

You are much wavier than I am untouched and I *think* I am a 1c. Untouched, I have one very loose "s" wave at my nape and some frizzies on the top of my head but the rest is totally straight. When I comb it out or use any cones, it all become super straight.

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I've seen a lot of 2a's classified as 1b-1c. And a lot of 2b's as 2a. People will make mistakes, that's how it is. I've changed my type before, but because my hair changed. Also combing kills all my waves, so I look 2a-2b when uncombed I'm 2c. Not all pictures here are "hairtype pictures". People slept on it, brushed, etc.

If the wave starts at your ear you're at least 2a.

SkinnyCookie
August 28th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'm with you on the curl-holding thing. My hair is stick straight, wet or not, short or not, so I know I'm a 1A. I get more complements on it's straightness than It's waist length. It also won't hold a curl for love or money. Other super-straighties I know have the same problem.

Arya
August 28th, 2011, 12:43 AM

but wouldn't that make it 1c? Looks a bit wavy in parts, but brushed out, it looks 1b? isn't that like...textbook 1c?

kouran
August 28th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Reading this thread made me think that maybe I should retype my hair...I'm sure most of it is 1b, but after hair washing and air drying my ends are ringlets and when they are combed later they become waves, but some loose ringlets can still be seen...should I retype my hair? If so, in what category would my hair be?

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
headtrip_honey, if the front is straight you're 1c/2a because the back is 2a. Look at all those waves.

kouran, if you have a few ringlets on the bottom and waves uncombed, that's 2c. My hair looks like your signature if I comb it too (most of the time). I have very little big ringlets in some parts, but they're there.

I don't find this classification important to me, personally. But I won't put 2a, because that's combed. Sometimes I can even look 1b when brushed with a BBB.

ETA: I think Amanda is a great example of 1b (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=111). Straight, curved ends. :)
And Cinnamon for 1c (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3402). Some texture, but the dents aren't very strong, they're quite faint.

kouran
August 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
kouran, if you have a few ringlets on the bottom and waves uncombed, that's 2c. My hair looks like your signature if I comb it too (most of the time). I have very little big ringlets in some parts, but they're there.

I don't find this classification important to me, personally. But I won't put 2a, because that's combed. Sometimes I can even look 1b when brushed with a BBB.

So should I retype my hair 2c, even though most of it is quite straight?? :confused: (sorry, I'm not a hair expert...)

Lilli
August 28th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Based on this thread, I am done with hair-typing. There are more than 12 types of hair in this world. Many people have more than one type on the same head (like me!) It seems like porosity, level of damage/dryness, etc. have a lot more to do with hair care routines and products than some arbitrary and confusing level of curliness or lack thereof.

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
So should I retype my hair 2c, even though most of it is quite straight?? :confused: (sorry, I'm not a hair expert...)

It would be best if you washed your hair and let it dry without touching at all (not even towel). Then post on the Mane Forum. You might just have combination hair like many of us.

I have 1c, 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b! Most is 2a, but just "2a" isn't acurate enough, I had to pick something in between.

Mirsha
August 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Based on this thread, I am done with hair-typing. There are more than 12 types of hair in this world. Many people have more than one type on the same head (like me!) It seems like porosity, level of damage/dryness, etc. have a lot more to do with hair care routines and products than some arbitrary and confusing level of curliness or lack thereof.

I have to agree with you, very confusing indeed. :D

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Well, in a thread to discuss it, we discuss it! :p

But have you guys seen the albums I linked? They really say a lot. See how there's no bend in 1b (only ends).

MidnightStar
August 28th, 2011, 09:07 AM

But have you guys seen the albums I linked? They really say a lot. See how there's no bend in 1b (only ends).

Yes...based on those pictures, I'm starting to think I'm totally 1c, no 2a at all. I'm trying to just dry my hair now and not touch it, no product, so I can see what it looks like when it's done.
It's gotta be the henna...or maybe my hair is just changing again. When I was little, it was very fine, very straight, and wouldn't curl, probably a typical 1a. Then I hit puberty and it "plumped" up and was thicker and curlier; I was probably a 2b or even a 2c in high school. Crazy how your hair changes, isn't it?

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 09:10 AM
MidnightStar, both your hair pictures look 1a to me, unless you have "little wavies" we can't see on photos (the pictures are a little blurry). You're definally 1 though.

luxepiggy
August 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'm with you on the curl-holding thing. My hair is stick straight, wet or not, short or not, so I know I'm a 1A. I get more complements on it's straightness than It's waist length. It also won't hold a curl for love or money. Other super-straighties I know have the same problem.

Maybe we should define 1a as "stubbornly straight" (^(oo)^)

I agree - I think the albums you linked were great examples of their respective categories (^(oo)^)

kouran
August 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
It would be best if you washed your hair and let it dry without touching at all (not even towel). Then post on the Mane Forum. You might just have combination hair like many of us.

I have 1c, 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b! Most is 2a, but just "2a" isn't acurate enough, I had to pick something in between.

Thank you Lianna. I'm just going to retype my hair to 1c/2a. :)

Arya
August 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Idunno, I feel like untouched, my hair has a few waves at the bottom, but it's only for maybe 20 minutes. The rest of the time, it's got body waves/bends in it.
If people's hair is straight 99% of the time, does it make sense to classify yourself as wavy?

For me, there's no point in 'encouraging' wave or anything like that, there's just not enough wave in it to make a difference. Where to put the people with annoying hair that is neither appreciably wavy or straightening iron straight?

After looking at the pictures, I'd classify my hair as 1b most of the time, and 1c/ maybe 2a for those few minutes it remains wavy at the ends untouched. Still just as confused as at the beginning of the thread.

We should make a 1.5 category that we can call 'bendy hair' XD It's not straight, it's not wavy, it's bendy!

headtrip_honey
August 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thank you Lianna. I'm just going to retype my hair to 1c/2a. :)

Ditto. I guess since my hair USED to be really straight, and only started getting wave 5-6 years ago. Still don't think of myself as having anything but straight hair, heh.

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hello, Arya. I understand your point of view, because my hair behaves like that too. But the LHC article on how to type hair says it has to be untouched, so I kinda "obey" that rule, you know.

The untouched fully dried hair is the "hair type". If the waves fall all by themselves without touching or combing after a while, then that's the hair you (general you) should type, never after combing.

luxepiggy
August 28th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Idunno, I feel like untouched, my hair has a few waves at the bottom, but it's only for maybe 20 minutes. The rest of the time, it's got body waves/bends in it.
If people's hair is straight 99% of the time, does it make sense to classify yourself as wavy?

For me, there's no point in 'encouraging' wave or anything like that, there's just not enough wave in it to make a difference. Where to put the people with annoying hair that is neither appreciably wavy or straightening iron straight?

After looking at the pictures, I'd classify my hair as 1b most of the time, and 1c/ maybe 2a for those few minutes it remains wavy at the ends untouched. Still just as confused as at the beginning of the thread.

We should make a 1.5 category that we can call 'bendy hair' XD It's not straight, it's not wavy, it's bendy!

I think 1c is bendy (^(oo)^)

My interpretation of the 3 categories (after air-drying untouched & with no toweling) is something as follows:
1a: poker straight
1b: appears straight when viewed at a distance, but on closer examination there is a subtle body wave, which usually disappears if the hair is handled/brushed
1c: straight, but with a body wave (aka bendy! :p)

When I get a salon blowout, if I ask them to add body/volume/movement to my hair, the end result is what I would categorize as 1c:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/478b17503674a_m.jpg

The key, I think, is that 1c hair is definitely still straight - but the overall impression is softer, less structured, more organic. I think when the average non-LHC person thinks of "natural" straight hair, what they picture in their heads is 1c hair. Many people automatically assume 1a hair has been flatironed - I'm constantly being asked "what flatiron do you use? how did you manage to get your hair so perfectly straight like that?" Umm . . . that's how it grows out of my head? LOL (^(oo)^)

MidnightStar
August 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
MidnightStar, both your hair pictures look 1a to me, unless you have "little wavies" we can't see on photos (the pictures are a little blurry). You're definally 1 though.

Okay, maybe 1a then, LOL. I really have no idea...I need to do an actual typing photo at some point, but I really hate the idea of clarifying, then just letting it sit there till it dries, as I know it'll just be a horrific, tangly mess when I'm done.
I thought 1a wouldn't curl at all, though? I could be wrong. Weird to think of myself as having straight hair after so long as an almost-curly...

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
From those pics I didn't see a bend, not even at the ends, MidnightStar.

I think 1c is bendy too, luxepiggy. When I was a little kid I thought 1a's didn't exist naturally! And when I learned about hair types, specifically 1c, I was surprised it was considered straight hair, after all, it is bendy, and "bendy" isn't "straight".

So in my mind, straight hair (as a kid) was only 1b, curled under. And before learning hair types, only 1a and 1b. 1c to me, is "slightly wavy", we can see all the faint waves...

Arya said before in one of her posts something like "not even a little wave is allowed"? or something like that. And it is allowed, in 1c. Even though, personally, I don't think it should. I might be too simplistic but "bendy isn't straight".

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
But I'm sort of of the opinion that a slight bend in your hair should also be up for consideration for 1a.

Sure there are textbook on 1as like luxepiggy, but shouldn't there be a little wiggle room, like there are in other subcategories? 1 bend shouldn't necessarily disqualify you from 1a, should it?

Sorry, double post. But I found it! :D You see, 1 bend is 1b, it bends at the bottom. 1a needs to be that straight because there's people with hair that straight, and their hair is different from someone with 1 bend. There's a whole lot of people with just 1 bend, that's why it deserves its own cathegory.

Between every close hairtype the difference is little. Straight hair can't have many bends or it will be wavy, that's why the rule is just 1 bend. 1c becomes one to three big S "body waves" (depending on hair length), plus that 1 bend from before. Again, little difference.

1c to 2a, bigger difference since it's another "type". But see between 2a and 2b, slight diference again. 2a waves start around the ear, and go somewhat consistent from there down. 2b starts around eyebrows, it's about 3 inches difference in wave pattern. I could go on and on.

The straighter it is, the more apparant the diferences will be. After all looking for just 1 bend isn't difficult. Trying to figure it out the "size" of a wave or curl can be problematic. If you let a wave here and there, becomes 2a easily, and all the 2a's will be confused (and most already are, since most of us comb).

I hope all you straighties don't mind me butting in, I just came to see some pretty straight hairs, since I've always wanted to have it. :p

slz
August 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
It would be best if you washed your hair and let it dry without touching at all (not even towel).
Really if that's the way it has to be done I can't envision myself doing it anytime soon - I mean, are you supposed to wash outside with the hose and remain there until it no longer drips like mad, or spend half a day standing in the bathtub ? Then again, even if I were allowed to "towel pat", I'm pretty sure in any normal day (AKA not blazing hot mid august sun) my hair will be nowhere near dry by the time I will go to bed if I just let it hang there and wait for the drying to happen. I NEED to manipulate it to allow the air to get in or it seems it does not dry at all.

I really hate the idea of clarifying, then just letting it sit there till it dries, as I know it'll just be a horrific, tangly mess when I'm done.
Yes and this : it's not worth the tangles and subsequent wasted time and megaton of breakage just to hair type myself !

All this to say : no hair typing for me except what "feels right" to me. I wrote 1b, but it could well be 1c - I don't know. Most of the time I have braid waves anyway :D. Like others said, I think coarseness and porosity are far more pertinent informations in terms of hair care than actual "hair type", which I believe to be for the fun of it mainly :D .

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
slz, the article says you can squeeze some water with the towel. However for optimal results (if anyone wants to go that far) not touching at all is best. People just put a towel behind their head and let it drip there, choose a sunday etc. I absolutely hate it too, only done it once!

For straight hair in particular that squeeze could create a bend where there wasn't or make it straighter where you squeezed. The touch rule is very important, I can kill two textures with just a comb, imagine that! :p

I'm kinda bored so I drew this: :D

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Lianna333/Hair/Hair%20down/types.jpg

my invisible model has hip length hair, LOL..>< joking :P

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
oops double

MidnightStar
August 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
From those pics I didn't see a bend, not even at the ends, MidnightStar.

Sorry - I should've been more clear. What I meant was, I thought that traditional 1a hair wouldn't hold a curl, which is why I never considered typing myself as such. My hair likes to curl - for instance, if I were to scrunch it, it would be wavy; if I use my heatless rollers on wet hair, it's gonna stay curly till the next time I wash it. At the moment, my hair's doing a wavy thing at the ends, but it's still drying and I have a little bit of leave-in. My shed hairs are really strange - half of them are corkscrewy, half straight (as in, half the strand of hair itself, not half the shed hairs I find). I have this theory that I damaged my hair with chemical dyes and flatirons for so long that I actually changed my hair type, and the hair growing in is going back to my natural state.
So...I dunno. It's not like I have a problem being a 1a, but as I said, it's weird to think of myself with super-straight hair when it hasn't been like that since I was about 10. :)

CariadA
August 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I have also noticed a difference between types depending on weather/humidity.

I grew up somewhere that has 360 sunny days a year and no humidity at all. When I visit, my hair goes totally 1a straight.

Here on the US East Coast, my hair gets one "s" wave at the nape in the summers, but almost no bend in the winters.

I joined LHC in January and did a hair typing. I clarified, used no conditioner, and didn't touch it. It dried 1a/1b. I retyped a few months ago and because of one "s" wave and a few frizzies on the top of my hair (it could have just been new growth) I was 1c.

The ends of my hair have never had bend or curved under. I think it is very pretty when hair does that, but mine just never has.

I haven't taken pictures when typing yet. I'll try it again with pictures.

This is what my hair looks like untouched:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/lovely-in-nyc/Untitled-2.png

luxepiggy
August 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have also noticed a difference between types depending on weather/humidity.

I grew up somewhere that has 360 sunny days a year and no humidity at all. When I visit, my hair goes totally 1a straight.

Here on the US East Coast, my hair gets one "s" wave at the nape in the summers, but almost no bend in the winters.

I joined LHC in January and did a hair typing. I clarified, used no conditioner, and didn't touch it. It dried 1a/1b. I retyped a few months ago and because of one "s" wave and a few frizzies on the top of my hair (it could have just been new growth) I was 1c.

The ends of my hair have never had bend or curved under. I think it is very pretty when hair does that, but mine just never has.

I haven't taken pictures when typing yet. I'll try it again with pictures.

This is what my hair looks like untouched:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/lovely-in-nyc/Untitled-2.png
Based on your description & drawing I think 1a/1b was probably the right call. Looks like your upper layer is 1a and perhaps the underlayer is 1b.

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
MidnightStar, that's interesting, heat damage does alter the texture so that could be it. I guess we'll have to wait and see. About the leave-in, some do make hair curlier, hair with products/styling (even just combing) can't be typed.

CariadA, your sig picture is gorgeous! You seem to have combination hair too, where different sections just go wild! Mine's like that too, my bangs were so much more curlier, I relaxed them. My hair looks more in harmony now. :)

I'm totally flooding this thread, don't worry, I'll go to sleep soon! :D

MidnightStar
August 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
LOL, Lianna, it's no problem - I appreciate the help! I think for now I'll consider myself a "nontraditional" 1a and see what happens as my hair gets healthier. :D

CariadA
August 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Based on your description & drawing I think 1a/1b was probably the right call. Looks like your upper layer is 1a and perhaps the underlayer is 1b.

Thanks for the feedback! It is just confusing to me because I sort of have an "s" wave (only in humidity), but the rest of it is super straight. I need to get a real picture. :)

MidnightStar, that's interesting, heat damage does alter the texture so that could be it. I guess we'll have to wait and see. About the leave-in, some do make hair curlier, hair with products/styling (even just combing) can't be typed.

CariadA, your sig picture is gorgeous! You seem to have combination hair too, where different sections just go wild! Mine's like that too, my bangs were so much more curlier, I relaxed them. My hair looks more in harmony now. :)

I'm totally flooding this thread, don't worry, I'll go to sleep soon! :D

Thanks. I guess I do have combination hair. My underlayer is straight on my right side, it's just the left that has the one loose wave. It's good to know it's not totally uncommon to have different types of hair on the same head!

Lianna
August 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Oh, I forgot to tell you something else. There's this member I've been reading a lot, I think she's in this thread too. She seems to know a lot about porous hair and weather, how it makes it change a lot and stuff. I don't know much about that, perhaps just that it absorbs more moisture in the humid weather and expands? Not sure. Think her name is redcelticcurls (http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/member.php?u=12302). She said her circunference changes 2 inches or so just due to weather!

CariadA
August 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Oh, I forgot to tell you something else. There's this member I've been reading a lot, I think she's in this thread too. She seems to know a lot about porous hair and weather, how it makes it change a lot and stuff. I don't know much about that, perhaps just that it absorbs more moisture in the humid weather and expands? Not sure. Think her name is redcelticcurls (http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/member.php?u=12302). She said her circunference changes 2 inches or so just due to weather!

Interesting. I wonder if porosity is why my hair changes so much in humidity. I need to do some research.

luxepiggy
August 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Interesting. I wonder if porosity is why my hair changes so much in humidity. I need to do some research.

Generally the more porous the hair, the more affected it is by humidity. I believe the "standard" test for porosity is to drop a shed hair in a bowl of water. If it remains floating after a few minutes, your hair is low porosity. If it sinks then your hair has high porosity (^(oo)^)v

CariadA
August 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Generally the more porous the hair, the more affected it is by humidity. I believe the "standard" test for porosity is to drop a shed hair in a bowl of water. If it remains floating after a few minutes, your hair is low porosity. If it sinks then your hair has high porosity (^(oo)^)v

My hair floated for about 10 minutes, then I poured out the water. Maybe porosity isn't my issue.

Raiscake
August 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Really if that's the way it has to be done I can't envision myself doing it anytime soon - I mean, are you supposed to wash outside with the hose and remain there until it no longer drips like mad, or spend half a day standing in the bathtub ? Then again, even if I were allowed to "towel pat", I'm pretty sure in any normal day (AKA not blazing hot mid august sun) my hair will be nowhere near dry by the time I will go to bed if I just let it hang there and wait for the drying to happen. I NEED to manipulate it to allow the air to get in or it seems it does not dry at all.

Yes and this : it's not worth the tangles and subsequent wasted time and megaton of breakage just to hair type myself !

All this to say : no hair typing for me except what "feels right" to me. I wrote 1b, but it could well be 1c - I don't know. Most of the time I have braid waves anyway :D. Like others said, I think coarseness and porosity are far more pertinent informations in terms of hair care than actual "hair type", which I believe to be for the fun of it mainly :D .

I feel you on this one. I'm only concerned about what my hair looks like after it's been handled, because that's what it looks like everyday. That means it's been combed while it was wet. I find the proper method of typing impractical. But I guess I am curious about what my true hairtype is. If anything, typing may just be for fun. :D

luxepiggy
August 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM
My hair floated for about 10 minutes, then I poured out the water. Maybe porosity isn't my issue.

Do you sweat more when it's hiumid? Is it possible that your underlayer is sticking to damp skin on the back of your neck, and that's why it gets the little curve right at the nape?

CariadA
August 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Do you sweat more when it's hiumid? Is it possible that your underlayer is sticking to damp skin on the back of your neck, and that's why it gets the little curve right at the nape?

Maybe. That's a good theory. I don't sweat much at all, but maybe my neck does a little and I don't notice. I think next time I clarify I'll take a picture. Of course, the picture will probably only show my straight top layer. I can try to get a pic of my wave.

Thanks for all the help! It's great to have the opinion of a true 1a with gorgeous hair!

luxepiggy
August 29th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Maybe. That's a good theory. I don't sweat much at all, but maybe my neck does a little and I don't notice. I think next time I clarify I'll take a picture. Of course, the picture will probably only show my straight top layer. I can try to get a pic of my wave.

Oh, oh, I just thought of another theory! Do you normally allow your hair to air-dry loose? If so, it probably takes longer for your hair to dry all the way through to the underlayer in humid air. So perhaps it's just your post-wash hair remaining damp and clinging to the back of your neck for enough time to set into the curved shape?

for all the help! It's great to have the opinion of a true 1a with gorgeous hair!

You're most welcome, and thank you (^(oo)^)

RockyChristine
August 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I consider myself very firmly a 1a, with my hair being absolutely stick-straight regardless of what I do to it. Braid hair and leave it in for six hours, hair comes out a bit puffy but within half an hour loses the waves. Curling irons don't do anything. Foam rollers only work if I leave them in overnight, and if they weren't tight enough, my hair will not hold the curl. Then again, I also have very coarse hair...

islandboo
August 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I consider myself very firmly a 1a, with my hair being absolutely stick-straight regardless of what I do to it. Braid hair and leave it in for six hours, hair comes out a bit puffy but within half an hour loses the waves. Curling irons don't do anything. Foam rollers only work if I leave them in overnight, and if they weren't tight enough, my hair will not hold the curl. Then again, I also have very coarse hair...

All those things are true of me (except the coarse hair part) but I seem to be classified as 1b. I thought I was 1a based on the fact that my hair will not hold a curl regardless of torture or threat. But that stubborn little bit at the very end does curl up (just not enough to look deliberate, LOL)

Arya
August 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Ugh, just went and looked at the 1c/2a group.

Is there something that defines a 1c from a 2a? Doesn't your wave have to start in some sort of regularity from the ear to be a 1c?

Lianna
August 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Ugh, just went and looked at the 1c/2a group.

Is there something that defines a 1c from a 2a? Doesn't your wave have to start in some sort of regularity from the ear to be a 1c?

Let me borrow part of your sentence :p "wave have to start in some sort of regularity from the ear to be" 2a.

Can start a little lower than ear though. Honestwitness (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2898) is a great example of 2a.

hypersensitive
August 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Do you agree that this is 1b? My hair has been clarified, air dried and uncombed: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/silverstardust/PhotoAug30125541PM.jpg

This is combed: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/silverstardust/PhotoAug3010402PM.jpg

Lianna
August 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I don't see much bend at the end, so I say 1a, hypersensitive. :)

God, your hair is GORGEOUS!!

MissManda
August 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Do you agree that this is 1b? My hair has been clarified, air dried and uncombed: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/silverstardust/PhotoAug30125541PM.jpg

This is combed: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/silverstardust/PhotoAug3010402PM.jpg

I see some body in your uncombed hair, Hypersensitive, so I'd say you're a 1b. And yes, your hair is so pretty! Love the color! :flower:

Lianna
August 30th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I see some body in your uncombed hair, Hypersensitive, so I'd say you're a 1b. And yes, your hair is so pretty! Love the color! :flower:

Maybe it's just that her hair is thick? The strand itself was really straight.

CariadA
August 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Oh, oh, I just thought of another theory! Do you normally allow your hair to air-dry loose? If so, it probably takes longer for your hair to dry all the way through to the underlayer in humid air. So perhaps it's just your post-wash hair remaining damp and clinging to the back of your neck for enough time to set into the curved shape?

You're most welcome, and thank you (^(oo)^)

Yep! I don't touch it at all from the time I wash it until it is dry. You're so smart! :)

I can't tell if it's 1a or 1b. I'm obviously bad at hair typing. :) It's pretty, though!

MissManda
August 30th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Maybe it's just that her hair is thick? The strand itself was really straight.

Hm, it could be... The hair on the right side of the picture seems to have some bendiness to it, so that's what made me think 1b.

haibane
August 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hm, it could be... The hair on the right side of the picture seems to have some bendiness to it, so that's what made me think 1b.
I also see some texture/body wave. It's subtle, but it's there. Maybe call it 1a/1b? (and thick and gorgeous, wow how long did it take to dry all that hair with no touching? :bigeyes: )

Another thing is that there is a noticeable difference between the combed and uncombed pics. One of the things that seems typical of 1a hair is that it doesn't matter if it's been brushed/combed or not. It's just straight, straight, straight either way.

MissManda
August 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Another thing is that there is a noticeable difference between the combed and uncombed pics. One of the things that seems typical of 1a hair is that it doesn't matter if it's been brushed/combed or not. It's just straight, straight, straight either way.

I wholeheartedly agree. :)

Lianna
August 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Oh yes, 1a/1b sounds really good. :)

Fortresca
September 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hello everyone :)

I was quite sure to be a 1b, or eben 1a or in between. But now, that I take better care of my hair, I'm not sure anymore. My hair looks more wavy. Maybe you can help be type it right.
This is a picture about 1 1/2 hours after showering, only air drying, uncombed:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3708/65596207.jpg

and here the left part is combed:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2539/91514961.jpg

and this is a picture back from 2007, when I wasn't spending a thought about haircare or anything. Just for you to understand why I typed myself how I did before:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/70/20071k.jpg

Tanks a lot for everyone trying to help me!

Teufelchen
September 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I would classify you as 1c/2a.

1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

2) The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
As you have more than one or two visible s-waves, but not quite throughout your hair.

Better care tends to bring out waves and volume where there wasn't any before, so that is pretty much normal.

MissManda
September 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'd also go with 1c/2a. :flower:

Fortresca
September 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks to you two. I'm not sure because of the layers I have in the haircut and the straight start. So I think maybe it looks like more waves, because every layer has like one or two waves und layed over each other it seems linke so many?
I have to say I wouldn't choose waves if I could choose.

But I think for now I'll go with 1c and wait for a few other months to go by... maybe it's even different then ;)

luxepiggy
September 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Fortresca, I would say you're a 1c (^(oo)^)v

Jinglelocks
September 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
"I was thinking that many of the straighter 1s notice that their hair won't hold heat curls, or curls at all. Could this be a defining characteristic of 1as?"

1a here; my hair does not hold heat curls, curls, or braid waves for more than an hour or two at BEST (unless copious amounts of hair spray is used which I have only done once - because I couldn't run from the stylist fast enough, lol).

Just thought I'd pitch in.

maria_asa
September 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM
After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably a 1b rather than 1a/b but I also wonder why it's so important to get it exactly right. Does the small differences between, for example 1b, 1b/c and 1c really mather that much? There are so many other aspects that can decide if a product/method works or not so putting so much focus on whether your strands bend once or twice seems a bit overkill to me. Just my :twocents:

Albiryo
September 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Well, I have defenitely got 1a.
No doubt about that.
My is so straight that even hair elastics and pins eventually fall out. ToT
And it doesn´t hold any curls btw....

luxepiggy
September 29th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Well, I have defenitely got 1a.
No doubt about that.
My is so straight that even hair elastics and pins eventually fall out. ToT
And it doesn´t hold any curls btw....
I hate when elastics slide off the ends of my braids, never to be seen again :mad:

heartgoesboom
September 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
huh, i guess i really dunno what i am. all my type should have ? on them, i can't even decide on the thickness!

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
@Heatgoesboom: Do you have a picture of your hair? People here could probably help you type it if you are interested in figuring that out.

heartgoesboom
September 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
@Heatgoesboom: Do you have a picture of your hair? People here could probably help you type it if you are interested in figuring that out.

i think i will! i'll have to wash and let it dry naturally then take a pic soon.

uptosomeone
September 29th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm curious whether I would be a 1a or 1b. My hair doesn't dry completely straight, but I've always assumed it's because of how it falls on my shoulders/back. Here's a picture, dried completely natural, no touching:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z338/uptosomeone/hairtyping.jpg
It's so stringy!
Anyway, what do y'all think?

Teufelchen
September 29th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I would say you are 1b, as there is a body wave, but no waves as required for 1c.

luxepiggy
September 30th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I'm curious whether I would be a 1a or 1b. My hair doesn't dry completely straight, but I've always assumed it's because of how it falls on my shoulders/back. Here's a picture, dried completely natural, no touching:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z338/uptosomeone/hairtyping.jpg
It's so stringy!
Anyway, what do y'all think?

I agree with Teufelchen, 1b.

Raiscake
October 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
I'm still confused as to what a body wave is. Is it when the hair waves because it follows the contours of your body? My hair curves a little at the nape because it sticks to it when my hair is drying and stays that way. Otherwise, my hair is very straight.