PDA

View Full Version : Had a horrible haircut experience this weekend

GabrielleRose
August 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Well, it started off with me wanting a trim and it turned into a horrible mess! First off, I went to the the haircut place with my boyfriend's mom where she took me before and I liked the cut but shame on us for being impatient because we didn't see the same lady we saw another one. Oh boy... My boyfriend's mom went first, she explained EXACTLY what she wanted. She wanted her hair at bra strap length and cut into a V with her signature bangs, she can pull off the bangs so well. Lucky! All that lady did was do what she wanted. She didn't cut her hair into a V at all, she just cut it to about shoulder length and the bangs came out nice until she started spritzing her bangs with all this stuff, and left her bangs all over the place. I should have said no...

Here goes my turn, I had my hair bunned up and took it down it looked really LONG, so I thought I'll just get a trim since I was contemplating cutting all the layers off but I couldn't part with the length. So, I got in the chair and told her a trim but also asked for her opinion. She answered me all rudely "It's not what I want it's your decision." Well, if it was my decision my hair wouldn't have been hacked off! I said a trim and she says I'm going to cut off 4 finger widths worth, saying my hair was that dry. No it wasn't, the last inch and a half was. I'm going to cry again... Anyway, after she showed me how short that would be my eyes widened and I told her very clearly no I'll keep the length just a very small trim. Oh hell no (excuse my language it's so hard to contain) she cut it all off oh and did I mention she hacked off my V cut which I really liked. She butchered it to a little below shoulder length. I went from 25 inches to 18. No V, everything was uneven. :( Next part of the story...

She told me she would charge me $10 she charged $12, I paid her a total of $30 since I treated my boyfriend's mom as well, I wish I didn't pay her because when we went outside we saw the damage she did. My boyfriend's mom's hair was not in a V and she had several pieces of hair peaking out from under the weird layer things she made. She gave us this weird tiny layer on the bottom it's horrible! The damage on my hair was a weird under and lower layer. We went immediately back inside and the lady we would've, should have seen saw the look of anger on our face and just said "Talk to her." That didn't so squat! I showed that stupid lady what she left on my boyfriend's mom's hair and you know what her explanation was? It was, "Oh no it's like that because her hair is still damp but when it drys it won't be hanging like that." What a bunch of crap! How the hell are you going to say that when you just blow dried her hair??? Then her explanation for my weird layers was "That was already there, I had nothing to do with that." How was that already there when I had my hair longer than BSL??? How do these people get their licenses??? Or do they just not care once they get their license? :mad:

In the car, I suggested we go to this guy I would normally go so he could fix it. Well, he fixed it but still left me this weird layer thing which my boyfriend's mom had to cut off. Yes he fixed both of our haircuts, but guess how much he charged? $25 for each, he didn't even cut that much to fix it! How horrible I should have left my hair alone.

I will not be cutting my hair any time soon. I can not trust anyone to cut it right, I should have left my hair alone but nooooooo.

I'm sorry for this long story, I'm just so hurt. I can't wear my hair down because it's uneven and just doesn't look good at all. :(

Cainwen
August 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
Oh no! :grouphug:

So sorry you had to go through that!

angelfell
August 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm really sorry about your experience :( That's terrible! There are some inconsiderate hairdressers out there.. as there are inconsiderate people in all occupations. I know you said it's uneven, but are most of the layers gone? If they are.. you can always try trimming your hair by yourself for now on. The easy method I learned from here, which will give you long layers apparently but I hardly notice them at all, is to put it in a high ponytail, flip the ponytail over your forehead, and trim straight across from there. My hair is thin though so maybe easier said than done..

It's sad that no one else at the salon seemed to care about it, either. I wouldn't have paid her, personally. Maybe if she'd apologized and actually cared.. but to be that ignorant, I'd have left and said the damage she'd done was not what you paid for.

UltraBella
August 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
That sounds awful, I am sorry you experienced this :(
May I ask, where in the world do to go to pay $10, or even $12, for a haircut ????? That alone would scare me away ! Dirt cheap screams desperate, inexperienced or unskilled to me. But, the cheapest haircut you will find locally here is $24 for the bare minimum. I pay $36 for mine.

Ligeia_13
August 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
May I ask, where in the world do to go to pay $10, or even $12, for a haircut ????? That alone would scare me away ! Dirt cheap screams desperate, inexperienced or unskilled to me. But, the cheapest haircut you will find locally here is $24 for the bare minimum. I pay $36 for mine.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. Before I started self trimming, I had my hair cut by this young hairdressers who only charged 10 euros for a wash and haircut. And she is the only hairdresser I've ever been to who cuts off as little as I ask.

Anyways, I feel your paaaain. I've been in exactly the same boat. Down to elbow, up to ubl with the snip of a scissor :p Twice. Yeah, I'm never going to a hairdresser again.

McFearless
August 22nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

slo2gro
August 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
omg im so sorry, thats terrible. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hugss to you

Copasetic
August 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
The last time I got a professional hair cut, I ended up with a mullet. The good thing about bad hair cuts is that they eventually grow out :cheese:

patienceneeded
August 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM

I'm with Ultrabella on this one, I don't know of anyplace that charges so little for a haircut that actually has skilled people working for them. Even Supercuts (and similar) charge more than that (at least, here they do)! I pay $40-$50 for a trim, more if I want anything beyond that basic reshaping/dusting. The extra $ is worth it when you consider the pain of a bad cut and how long it takes to grow it out.

I am sorry for your poor experience. It pays to listen to your gut instincts...next time you feel like the haircutting experience is not going to go well, just say NO and leave. Would you rather have an awful haircut or risk offending some person you don't know by refusing their services? There are some great stylists out there, who will listen to you and give you the haircut you desire. Do your homework beforehand, and don't be afraid to change your mind. Even after you have sat in the chair or are mid-cut. Hopefully your hair grows fast and this will all soon be a distant memory.

RedDevil
August 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Sucks.....group hug!

GabrielleRose
August 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Oh no! :grouphug:

So sorry you had to go through that!

Thank you so much Cainwen. :)

I'm really sorry about your experience :( That's terrible! There are some inconsiderate hairdressers out there.. as there are inconsiderate people in all occupations. I know you said it's uneven, but are most of the layers gone? If they are.. you can always try trimming your hair by yourself for now on. The easy method I learned from here, which will give you long layers apparently but I hardly notice them at all, is to put it in a high ponytail, flip the ponytail over your forehead, and trim straight across from there. My hair is thin though so maybe easier said than done..

It's sad that no one else at the salon seemed to care about it, either. I wouldn't have paid her, personally. Maybe if she'd apologized and actually cared.. but to be that ignorant, I'd have left and said the damage she'd done was not what you paid for.

I'm just going to steer clear of all salons for a while until I feel ok walking into one. I shouldn't have paid her, but I didn't notice all the damage till after I had paid and walked out. I should have asked for my money back when I walked back in. She was very ignorant, and I wish I would have made a scene so she could see how upset I was. Oh well....

My layers are all gone, but she left my hair looking like I have a weird layer underneath, I will trim it myself but I will wait till my hair grows a bit longer because I honestly don't want it any shorter than it already is. I'm 2 days into this horrible cut and it looks like it already grew a little bit. That could just be some wishful thinking on my part. Or maybe me hair will grow faster, because when I was younger I would cut my hair and it would grow back fast.

Thank you.

I got my haircut at a place what my mom likes to call a mom and pop shop. Basically a small business owned salon. I've always gone to them and haven't really had bad luck with them until now...

GabrielleRose
August 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Before I started self trimming, I had my hair cut by this young hairdressers who only charged 10 euros for a wash and haircut. And she is the only hairdresser I've ever been to who cuts off as little as I ask.

Anyways, I feel your paaaain. I've been in exactly the same boat. Down to elbow, up to ubl with the snip of a scissor :p Twice. Yeah, I'm never going to a hairdresser again.

I'm sorry you went through the same thing as me, but if my hair was as long as yours and they did that to me I would have just cried right then and there.

I'm so sorry. :(

Thank you McFearless. :)

omg im so sorry, thats terrible. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Hugss to you

It feels terrible. I wanted to cry, but I didn't. I ended up crying when I woke up and looked at how short it was... :(

GabrielleRose
August 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
The last time I got a professional hair cut, I ended up with a mullet. The good thing about bad hair cuts is that they eventually grow out :cheese:

Oh no! But you are right, too bad they can't grow back SUPER fast. :(

I'm with Ultrabella on this one, I don't know of anyplace that charges so little for a haircut that actually has skilled people working for them. Even Supercuts (and similar) charge more than that (at least, here they do)! I pay $40-$50 for a trim, more if I want anything beyond that basic reshaping/dusting. The extra $ is worth it when you consider the pain of a bad cut and how long it takes to grow it out.

I am sorry for your poor experience. It pays to listen to your gut instincts...next time you feel like the haircutting experience is not going to go well, just say NO and leave. Would you rather have an awful haircut or risk offending some person you don't know by refusing their services? There are some great stylists out there, who will listen to you and give you the haircut you desire. Do your homework beforehand, and don't be afraid to change your mind. Even after you have sat in the chair or are mid-cut. Hopefully your hair grows fast and this will all soon be a distant memory.

That seems expensive, but if you get the cut you want it is more than worth it.

Thank you, and I should have listened to my cut instinct but I'll live and learn. I will make sure to pamper my hair from now on so I don't the urge to trim it any time soon.

Sucks.....group hug!

Aw, thank you for the group hug. I really needed one. ;)

MsBubbles
August 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Oh no, Gabrielrose! I'm so sorry to hear it. There are so many of us who have been in that situation! I even went back to someone I believed I could trust, paid more than you did, and came out with razor cut layers up to APL.

I have done nothing but self-trims on my ends ever since.

Where I live, you can go to Great Clips and get a $12 hair cut. Honestly I think it's just the luck of the draw. I've paid way more at posher salons and come out butchered.

Oh and LOL @ Copasetic! I can relate.

Juneii
August 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM

THIS! Before LHC I went to a "salon" that offered $5 hair cuts. It was in the ghetto and basically was someone's garage. I should have known better but I really didn't. I asked for layers and what did the woman do? She cut my hair that was a perfect u-shape hem at waist to a tapering bsl length - it looked like I had a huge shed, my ends were so thin.
Thankfully hair grows out, give it time and everything will be okay again :) I am glad I am finally at the length I can trim my own hair. No more expensive hair cuts for me. As a side note I would like to mention I did get a $35 hair cut about a year ago, the man who cut my blunt bangs made it lopsided, one side of my bangs was a good 1/2" longer than the other. I am most reluctant to trust another person with my hair now.
Find creative hairstyles that will hide the bad cut and your hair will grow out in no time!

DarkSky
August 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I feel your pain!!!! How horrible!!!! My hair dresser cut off a few inches more than I wanted and I was devastated and felt like I lost my identity... so I can only understand how much worse you feel :(

BTW I bought the creaclip (google it) and will be trying to do my trims on my own from now on. I already use it on my girls and it works great. There are lots of youtube vids with tips. Some not super flattering and some that are pretty good!!

LisaButz2001
August 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Copasetic, the same thing happened on Friday to my sister and she's in a wedding on Wednesday. She may need a pixie or bob afterwards. Yet, I went to the same stylist the next day and my hair is perfect, it is luck of the draw, as Ms. Bubbles says.

GRU
August 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Cost is very regional. I've been using the same gal since 1992 (well, not in the past couple years, but that's b/c I'm growing it out now). She lives in a tiny town and has her own salon in the front room of her house. She's always done *exactly* what I've wanted, and I always had to book in advance b/c she was always busy. I think the last time I was there it was $8 for a kid cut and $13 for an adult cut (shampoo not included).

Her taxes are low in a rural town. Her overhead is low since she also lives in the same building. Her volume is high b/c she's well-known and she does exactly what the customer wants.

At the "fancy" salons in town, a haircut ranges from $30-$90 based on the "status" of the salon. I've never had a better haircut than the ones I've gotten from my "cheap" stylist.

MychelleC
August 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
Oh that's terrible! I am so sorry. I have seen the same stylist for ten years and she would refuse to cut my length if I asked (which I wouldn't). I highly recommend finding someone whose skills you trust and never letting anyone else touch your hair. You poor thing; what a nightmare! It will grow back but I know that doesn't help much. :(

share801
August 23rd, 2011, 01:23 AM
I just had a $60 trim (no layers, no anything). It was a quite small ordinary place too. I cannot imagine being somewhere where it was $12.

Chamy
August 23rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Im so sorry to hear this. It gets me so angry when i hear that hairdressers wont listen to their costumers. You should really have gotten your money back for the hack-job she did. :(

lunalesca
August 23rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
What a horrible story! :blueeek: *hugs*

lizdini
August 23rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
I don't know if this has been said before but complain to the licensing board and your Better Business Bureau. She obviously has no business being near anyone's hair at all! I'm so sorry this happened, but remember, it will grow out. Do what you can now and have patience.:grouphug:

Alaia
August 23rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Oh I'm so sorry. That sucks. :grouphug:

TBH I would have been a bit wary because of the price, but I live in Expensive Overpriced City.

wvgemini
August 23rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Wow! That is awful. Even worse than the cut, IMO, is her attitude! What a piece of work!!!

Cost is very regional. I've been using the same gal since 1992 (well, not in the past couple years, but that's b/c I'm growing it out now). She lives in a tiny town and has her own salon in the front room of her house. She's always done *exactly* what I've wanted, and I always had to book in advance b/c she was always busy. I think the last time I was there it was $8 for a kid cut and $13 for an adult cut (shampoo not included).

Her taxes are low in a rural town. Her overhead is low since she also lives in the same building. Her volume is high b/c she's well-known and she does exactly what the customer wants.

At the "fancy" salons in town, a haircut ranges from $30-$90 based on the "status" of the salon. I've never had a better haircut than the ones I've gotten from my "cheap" stylist.

I was thinking that. I cannot imagine paying $40-$50 for a trim! Where I have gone in the past, I usually pay around $15-$20 and I get what I want. The one time I went to a "fancy" salon and paid $45 for a cut and style, my hair was shredded. Weird layers, choppy bits ... blech.

headtrip_honey
August 23rd, 2011, 06:20 AM

Agreed. I think my stylist charges $30, and she's the cheapest I've gone to in a while. But thankfully she's very good and actually listens to the client...

Last time I went to a place that was that cheap, I came out regretting it.

I had shoulder length hair that I just wanted trimmed, with some long layers put in.

I came out with hair that, while still around shoulder length, had layers that were as short as the top of my ear!! It looked so unfortunate.

Seriously, the only time I've cried over a hair cut.

HeatherJenae
August 23rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't give up on hairstylists in general. There are good ones out there and if you find one, never let them go! I've got a great guy who cuts off even less than I ask for and I make sure to over emphasize every time I'm there, how much I love that he does that. I say, "I love coming to you for a haircut because when I leave I still have hair!". I want to make sure he gets lots of positive feedback for not hacking off a bunch so he continues to dust hair when that's all people really want. I'm sorry this happened, it's so frustrating when a years worth of growth is cut off in a second by someone who doesn't care.

Mrspuddinhead
August 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM

Not really. I take my son to a barber who charges $10.00 for a hair cut. He is the only one who can do a true flat top. That takes skills. Plus my son knows him and feels comfortable. One time I had my niece cut his hair. Well.... his uncle bubba had to hold him upside down to get the job done. Came out very nice too.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
i am rocking a pretty bad haircut right now too half cut by someone half cut by me and almost as short as i started with

Ashenputtel
August 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
God, stupid forum that keeps logging me out. I had written a long message telling different horror stories with hairdresser ranging from 10$ to 75$ a hair cut.

Let's just summarize by saying that you never know. When you are playing with layers, you are playing with fire.

I must say though that only men over layered me. It might be a coincidence but a lot of them don't listen.

I feel your pain

PinkyCat
August 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I completely understand how crappy that feels. Everything will be ok. You have an incredible support network here who have gone through the same nightmare. Hang in there. :flowers:

Something to consider is learning how to cut your own hair. After my horrible salon nightmare last year, I bought this thing (http://www.creaclip.com). I swear, I will never set foot in another salon again, and the only blade that will ever touch my hair will be by my own hand. I've been microtrimming for the past year, and most of the lopsy layers are gone. I've gained quite a bit of length too. Hope that helps. :grouphug:

curlymarcia
August 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
It's so sad your experienced. But, cheers up! Hair grow and it will be the same length again. Have you ever consider self trimming? I cut my hair and avoid bad haircuts.

jennepea
August 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
OMG I'm so sorry for you :( !
I trust my hairdresser, when I tell him to cut only 1 inch, he will do so. You have to find the right hairdresser! Good luck, don't give up :)

Slinks
August 23rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. I completely understand how crappy that feels. Everything will be ok. You have an incredible support network here who have gone through the same nightmare. Hang in there. :flowers:

Something to consider is learning how to cut your own hair. After my horrible salon nightmare last year, I bought this thing (http://www.creaclip.com). I swear, I will never set foot in another salon again, and the only blade that will ever touch my hair will be by my own hand. I've been microtrimming for the past year, and most of the lopsy layers are gone. I've gained quite a bit of length too. Hope that helps. :grouphug:

:-) lol - I bought that thing too, after my last salon visit .. I'm due to use it for the first time any day now .. altho I did do my bangs last week it worked well :-)

Slinks
August 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I trust my hairdresser, when I tell him to cut only 1 inch, he will do so. You have to find the right hairdresser! Good luck, don't give up :)

I did trust trust my salon hairdresser - I had one trim about 2 weeks after finding LHC then my last trim was 5 months after and I just couldn't stand the rough handleing - the water was hot - the towel drying :rolleyes: - the ripping the comb thru the knots :mad: - and then the blowfryer, it was way too hot :confused: - she actually got annoyed with me toward the end, I decided never again and hunted down the creaclip I had seen it months earlier ..

Shanbot
August 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience!! Yet another not-listening-stylist...bah! I had one a couple months ago myself. Made the appointment, usual stylist wasn't available, but I do like the salon so I took a chance...just wanted split ends off and bangs evened up. I left with a silly looking chunk on the side (I guess she thought it went with my bangs??? It's goofy and has to get tucked behind my ear now) and more damage than I went in with.

Her first words when I took down my hair were "Oooh, is that your natural texture?" I explained it was some, some from being in the bun all morning...she then proceeded to blow dry mid-way though the cut and then blow dry AGAIN (???!) after it was done, using some heavy gunk (that wasn't heat protective, I found out later! I told her straight up I don't heat style except for special occasions)...and I finally got my dander up when she wanted to flatiron....who compliments your wavyness and then does their darnedest to kill it?? :P

Oh, and as an aside...the cut cost me about $50, which is normal where I am; I live in a metro area with lots of fancy salons and not a lot of cheap places that are known to be good. This one is one of the ones that's nice(usually)-yet-not-prohibitively-expensive, since I don't go too often I usually think of it as a treat. A cut under $30 would only be gained from maybe the mall several miles out of my way... where they would probably only take very simple instructions and try to get me out the door as quickly as possible...although that means they might not have time to blow dry :)

It's almost to the point where we gotta do it ourselves or be very discerning customers. I know I have a hard time not letting them do their thing, since they're supposed to be professionals. But I'm learning the hard way that the only one who is a pro at understanding my hair is the one who has to deal with it daily!

Good luck growing, try not to feel too bad. It's just a chance to grow some more healthy beautiful hair, and it'll be back before you know it!

Mesmerise
August 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Wow I'm so sorry to hear of your experience!!!! There's nothing worse than a hairdresser who just won't listen, and who butchers your hair. There's no excuse for that no matter how much you pay!

Where I live a cheap haircut tends to be about $25, and it always annoys me that I pay the same for a 5 minute trim, as someone else does who has a more complex cut that takes much longer!!

Really, if you're just having a trim and it's not going to take long, I don't see why they should charge any more than $10? I mean, I wanted to get my daughter's undercut re-done and the cheapest they'd do it for was $15, despite it being a really quick and easy job with clippers (certainly no more than 5 minutes).

It makes a bit more sense to charge for the time taken/complexity of cut, to me. And then I see males getting their hair cut for cheaper, when their cuts are generally waaaaay more complex than my tiny trims :rolleyes:. Then there's the place I take my kids, and they charge different amounts for different ages. So you'll pay less for a 7 year old to have their hair cut than a 9 year old... I can't figure THAT one out either...

It's no wonder I'm just self trimming now!! Going to hair salons used to drive me nuts in more ways than one.

swetiepeti
August 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I'll agree that generally speaking a person is more likely to get a better cut from a more expensive hairstylist, especially a complicated cut. However, I've had good luck with getting a $10 trim (to me cutting more than just the bottom edge is more than just a trim, it's a new haircut) from several cheap national chains. However I don't use words like "bra strap length"as that has different meaning to different people, I acutally bring in a small 6 inch measure or use thier fingerwidth not mine, and tell them I want them to cut X from the very, very bottom straggly longest hair and if it's still uneven that I'll live with it. I've also brought in a printed pic of the back of my head and draw a line to show HOW I want it cut. Myself, I prefer a very shallow U almost straight across, but when I grew out layers years back, I did this and they understood that the layers on the side where not going to be included in the cut

GabrielleRose
August 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Oh no, Gabrielrose! I'm so sorry to hear it. There are so many of us who have been in that situation! I even went back to someone I believed I could trust, paid more than you did, and came out with razor cut layers up to APL.

I have done nothing but self-trims on my ends ever since.

Where I live, you can go to Great Clips and get a $12 hair cut. Honestly I think it's just the luck of the draw. I've paid way more at posher salons and come out butchered.

Oh and LOL @ Copasetic! I can relate.

Thank you, and I'm sorry that happened to you even though you thought you could trust that hairstylist.

THIS! Before LHC I went to a "salon" that offered $5 hair cuts. It was in the ghetto and basically was someone's garage. I should have known better but I really didn't. I asked for layers and what did the woman do? She cut my hair that was a perfect u-shape hem at waist to a tapering bsl length - it looked like I had a huge shed, my ends were so thin.
Thankfully hair grows out, give it time and everything will be okay again :) I am glad I am finally at the length I can trim my own hair. No more expensive hair cuts for me. As a side note I would like to mention I did get a $35 hair cut about a year ago, the man who cut my blunt bangs made it lopsided, one side of my bangs was a good 1/2" longer than the other. I am most reluctant to trust another person with my hair now.
Find creative hairstyles that will hide the bad cut and your hair will grow out in no time!

Thank you. Don't you just hate it when you know better but you go along with it anyway? I am glad you are able to trim your own hair, and you photo is GORGEOUS!!! I hope to have my hair healthy and at that length in the future. But I'm seriously thinking my hair is already growing back from the horrible cut. Could it be the fish oil and biotin? Lol!!! Here is to wishful thinking.

I feel your pain!!!! How horrible!!!! My hair dresser cut off a few inches more than I wanted and I was devastated and felt like I lost my identity... so I can only understand how much worse you feel :(

BTW I bought the creaclip (google it) and will be trying to do my trims on my own from now on. I already use it on my girls and it works great. There are lots of youtube vids with tips. Some not super flattering and some that are pretty good!!

I seriously wanted to cry right then and there. My mom ws all like its just a few inches, but to me I felt like she just might have well shaved it all off. It does feel like you lose your identity. Has your hair grown back since?

I've seen the creaclip and it looks very interesting, but I don't think I could even trust myself to cut my own hair but maybe I can get someone I do trust to help me out with it. Is it expensive? Where did you purchase it from?

GabrielleRose
August 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM

I am so glad that you have a stylist you can trust, and your red hair is STUNNING!!!

Oh that's terrible! I am so sorry. I have seen the same stylist for ten years and she would refuse to cut my length if I asked (which I wouldn't). I highly recommend finding someone whose skills you trust and never letting anyone else touch your hair. You poor thing; what a nightmare! It will grow back but I know that doesn't help much. :(

Thank you. You have a GREAT stylist then, lucky you! I hope one day I can find a stylist as encouraging as yours. It was a nightmare, and it does help you telling my it will grow back. It will be a constant reminder to be patient. ;)

I just had a $60 trim (no layers, no anything). It was a quite small ordinary place too. I cannot imagine being somewhere where it was $12.

That seems like quite a bit, but I guess it just depends on where you live and if the trim was nice then I say go for it!

GabrielleRose
August 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Im so sorry to hear this. It gets me so angry when i hear that hairdressers wont listen to their costumers. You should really have gotten your money back for the hack-job she did. :(

Thank you, and it makes me angry too! I mean if your a stylist wouldn't you want to be known for great cuts and listening to your customers 100% of the time? I really should have gotten my money back but I just wanted out of there since she was so ignorant!

What a horrible story! :blueeek: *hugs*

Thank you! :)

I don't know if this has been said before but complain to the licensing board and your Better Business Bureau. She obviously has no business being near anyone's hair at all! I'm so sorry this happened, but remember, it will grow out. Do what you can now and have patience.:grouphug:

That hasn't been said, and I really should complain! She does not have any business to be around hair if she can not listen to the customers wants and needs. Thank you and I will be sure to take EXTRA care of my hair so it will grow out healthier and won't make me want to visit a stylist any time soon. I must learn to have patience. ;)

GabrielleRose
August 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. That sucks. :grouphug:

TBH I would have been a bit wary because of the price, but I live in Expensive Overpriced City.

Thank you so much. It really does suck, but my mom says it is starting to look much better so that's something.

Well, where I live there are a lot of shops around town that charge that price but like I said they are small owned businesses.

Wow! That is awful. Even worse than the cut, IMO, is her attitude! What a piece of work!!!

I was thinking that. I cannot imagine paying $40-$50 for a trim! Where I have gone in the past, I usually pay around $15-$20 and I get what I want. The one time I went to a "fancy" salon and paid $45 for a cut and style, my hair was shredded. Weird layers, choppy bits ... blech.

Her attitude sure was something else!

Yeah, I think my mom would kill me if I paid $40-$50 for a trim. $15-$20 sounds reasonable to me though. I'm sorry that when you went to the "fancy" salon your hair was shredded. That really stinks to have your money wasted on something you didn't even want. :(

Agreed. I think my stylist charges $30, and she's the cheapest I've gone to in a while. But thankfully she's very good and actually listens to the client...

Last time I went to a place that was that cheap, I came out regretting it.

I had shoulder length hair that I just wanted trimmed, with some long layers put in.

I came out with hair that, while still around shoulder length, had layers that were as short as the top of my ear!! It looked so unfortunate.

Seriously, the only time I've cried over a hair cut.

Well, I sure am glad you have a stylist that listens to the customers.

I am sorry you had that horrible experience, and those layers sound SUPER short.

I know how it is to cry over a hair cut...

StephanieB
August 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hereabouts, an inexpensive haircut at a salon costs between $35-$55. It goes up from there. Barbers charge $12-$16, and up.

I would never have considered so cheap a haircut as yours, GabrielleRose, but I also don't know where you live I live in metro-NYC area.

In any case, I'm sorry for your bad experience. I hope it grows fast and you have little aggravation while it grows out.

SilentGuardian
August 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
That's terrible :(
I know it is frustrating when you want longer hair, and something like that sets you back

laurarvt
August 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry, that sucks. That's why I've been doing the self-trim method....I just don't trust anybody.

silverpiper
August 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'd like to get a teeny trim but I'm afraid... very afraid!

GabrielleRose
August 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't give up on hairstylists in general. There are good ones out there and if you find one, never let them go! I've got a great guy who cuts off even less than I have and I make sure to over emphasize every time I'm there, how much I love that he does that. I say, "I love coming to you for a haircut because when I leave I still have hair!". I want to make sure he gets lots of positive feedback for not hacking off a bunch so he continues to dust hair when that's all people really want. I'm sorry this happened, it's so frustrating when a years worth of growth is cut off in a second by someone who doesn't care.

You are right there are good stylists out there, but I have yet to find one. :( I am glad you have a great stylist and that you keep giving him positive feedback. :) Thank you and it is quite frustrating!

Not really. I take my son to a barber who charges $10.00 for a hair cut. He is the only one who can do a true flat top. That takes skills. Plus my son knows him and feels comfortable. One time I had my niece cut his hair. Well.... his uncle bubba had to hold him upside down to get the job done. Came out very nice too.

That sounds cute!

i am rocking a pretty bad haircut right now too half cut by someone half cut by me and almost as short as i started with

If you can rock it go you! :thumbsup:

God, stupid forum that keeps logging me out. I had written a long message telling different horror stories with hairdresser ranging from 10$ to 75$ a hair cut.

Let's just summarize by saying that you never know. When you are playing with layers, you are playing with fire.

I must say though that only men over layered me. It might be a coincidence but a lot of them don't listen.

I feel your pain

I am sorry the forum kept logging you out. I think you are right though, you just never really know what you're going to get. Especially when someone recommends someone to you and that stylist ends up doing a horrible job. :(

AnnaJamila
August 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Poor dear! That's why I started cutting my own hair. It just comes out so much better! What I want is what I get, and you can look for just about any cut on youtube. Just watch once or twice and play it again while you cut (pausing, of course!) with really really sharp scissors made for cutting hair.

Also I don't have to go through the whole song and dance of "On the phone you told me you had a chair in the back . . ." :rolleyes:

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Thank you. :) It does feel crappy and I know things will be ok once it grows back. What a shame that she cut so much off and I still have some pesky split ends! But you are right, we have a wonderful incredible support network here and it really sucks that many of us have gone through this horrible nightmare! I will hang in there. Good thing I got some flexi 8s to hold my hair up and keep it out of the way so I can try to stop obsessing over it.

I checked out the creaclip and ordered it last night! ;) It looks really awesome, and it looks really easy to use. I can't wait till it comes in, but I won't be trimming any time soon. What is microtrimming? You have been tons of help so thank you once again!

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It's so sad your experienced. But, cheers up! Hair grow and it will be the same length again. Have you ever consider self trimming? I cut my hair and avoid bad haircuts.

I just wish it would grow FASTER lol! I have considered self trimming and just ordered the creaclip last night.

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Thank you! I am happy that you have a hairdresser you can trust and that actually listens. One day I may find a good hairdresser, but for now I'll be trying out the creaclip.

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:36 PM
:-) lol - I bought that thing too, after my last salon visit .. I'm due to use it for the first time any day now .. altho I did do my bangs last week it worked well :-)

I'm glad to hear it worked well for bangs, since I always need to trim mine.

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience!! Yet another not-listening-stylist...bah! I had one a couple months ago myself. Made the appointment, usual stylist wasn't available, but I do like the salon so I took a chance...just wanted split ends off and bangs evened up. I left with a silly looking chunk on the side (I guess she thought it went with my bangs??? It's goofy and has to get tucked behind my ear now) and more damage than I went in with.

Her first words when I took down my hair were "Oooh, is that your natural texture?" I explained it was some, some from being in the bun all morning...she then proceeded to blow dry mid-way though the cut and then blow dry AGAIN (???!) after it was done, using some heavy gunk (that wasn't heat protective, I found out later! I told her straight up I don't heat style except for special occasions)...and I finally got my dander up when she wanted to flatiron....who compliments your wavyness and then does their darnedest to kill it?? :P

Oh, and as an aside...the cut cost me about $50, which is normal where I am; I live in a metro area with lots of fancy salons and not a lot of cheap places that are known to be good. This one is one of the ones that's nice(usually)-yet-not-prohibitively-expensive, since I don't go too often I usually think of it as a treat. A cut under $30 would only be gained from maybe the mall several miles out of my way... where they would probably only take very simple instructions and try to get me out the door as quickly as possible...although that means they might not have time to blow dry :)

It's almost to the point where we gotta do it ourselves or be very discerning customers. I know I have a hard time not letting them do their thing, since they're supposed to be professionals. But I'm learning the hard way that the only one who is a pro at understanding my hair is the one who has to deal with it daily!

Good luck growing, try not to feel too bad. It's just a chance to grow some more healthy beautiful hair, and it'll be back before you know it!

Thank you! That is quite a bit of abuse you went through there at the salon. I can totally relate to you about the weird side chunk that they seem to think goes with the bangs. I got that chunk going on right now but that part is poofy so it just looks like I brushed quite a bit of my bangs to the side lol!

I guess price is just different depending on where you live, I have always gone to cheap $15 places because usually someone from my family liked the way their hair came out and then convince me to go check them out. Too bad they don't call me up and tell me when they do horrible lol!

Good luck to growing too and it is a chance for beautiful hair. But I still have pesky split ends even though she cut quite a bit off. :(

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Wow I'm so sorry to hear of your experience!!!! There's nothing worse than a hairdresser who just won't listen, and who butchers your hair. There's no excuse for that no matter how much you pay!

Where I live a cheap haircut tends to be about $25, and it always annoys me that I pay the same for a 5 minute trim, as someone else does who has a more complex cut that takes much longer!!

Really, if you're just having a trim and it's not going to take long, I don't see why they should charge any more than $10? I mean, I wanted to get my daughter's undercut re-done and the cheapest they'd do it for was $15, despite it being a really quick and easy job with clippers (certainly no more than 5 minutes).

It makes a bit more sense to charge for the time taken/complexity of cut, to me. And then I see males getting their hair cut for cheaper, when their cuts are generally waaaaay more complex than my tiny trims :rolleyes:. Then there's the place I take my kids, and they charge different amounts for different ages. So you'll pay less for a 7 year old to have their hair cut than a 9 year old... I can't figure THAT one out either...

It's no wonder I'm just self trimming now!! Going to hair salons used to drive me nuts in more ways than one.

I definitely agree with you! I can't wait to join the self-trimming group lol and thank you!

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'll agree that generally speaking a person is more likely to get a better cut from a more expensive hairstylist, especially a complicated cut. However, I've had good luck with getting a $10 trim (to me cutting more than just the bottom edge is more than just a trim, it's a new haircut) from several cheap national chains. However I don't use words like "bra strap length"as that has different meaning to different people, I acutally bring in a small 6 inch measure or use thier fingerwidth not mine, and tell them I want them to cut X from the very, very bottom straggly longest hair and if it's still uneven that I'll live with it. I've also brought in a printed pic of the back of my head and draw a line to show HOW I want it cut. Myself, I prefer a very shallow U almost straight across, but when I grew out layers years back, I did this and they understood that the layers on the side where not going to be included in the cut

That is very smart of you!

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hereabouts, an inexpensive haircut at a salon costs between $35-$55. It goes up from there. Barbers charge $12-$16, and up.

I would never have considered so cheap a haircut as yours, GabrielleRose, but I also don't know where you live I live in metro-NYC area.

In any case, I'm sorry for your bad experience. I hope it grows fast and you have little aggravation while it grows out.

Well, I live in San Antonio, TX and they have quite a bit of those family owned shops that charge cheap like that. When I was little there were some good ones but then they end up not caring later on down the road.

But thank you, and I sure hope it grows fast and my aggravation dwindles down.

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
That's terrible :(
I know it is frustrating when you want longer hair, and something like that sets you back

It sure is frustrating! I really do feel set back. :(

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry, that sucks. That's why I've been doing the self-trim method....I just don't trust anybody.

It sure does suck. I will soon be joining the self-trim method club soon. I don't trust anybody any more either...

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'd like to get a teeny trim but I'm afraid... very afraid!

Thank you. I'm afraid too, but that is why I purchased the creaclip. I hope it works, maybe you should look into it too. :)

GabrielleRose
August 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Poor dear! That's why I started cutting my own hair. It just comes out so much better! What I want is what I get, and you can look for just about any cut on youtube. Just watch once or twice and play it again while you cut (pausing, of course!) with really really sharp scissors made for cutting hair.

Also I don't have to go through the whole song and dance of "On the phone you told me you had a chair in the back . . ." :rolleyes:

Thank you and I will soon be cutting my own hair. I really hope it comes out good with the creaclip. I checked out the videos on youtube and it sure looks easy.

aewilson04uh
August 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know how you feel because I have experienced the same. I have had great trims for $10. It's not the price, it's the hairdresser! I have now resorted to trimming my own hair. I just do a little dusting now and then anyway.

prettykitty
August 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you :(
Over and over again I feel like we're shown that hairdressers simply cannot be trusted! I trim my own hair now (if I trim it at all) and feel so much more comfortable that way.

pepperminttea
August 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM
God, stupid forum that keeps logging me out. I had written a long message

Off topic, but if you're on Firefox, this (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/) might help. :D

Lissandria
August 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hairdressers can be brutal.

Devon77
August 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I am a hairdresser...I wish you guys lived my way!!!I would never have done this to you!! I have long hair .. Please do not let this time scare you of hairdressers!! Find a person you like and trust..only go to her/him...

GabrielleRose
August 29th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know how you feel because I have experienced the same. I have had great trims for $10. It's not the price, it's the hairdresser! I have now resorted to trimming my own hair. I just do a little dusting now and then anyway.

Thank you. :) I'm sorry you've experienced the same thing. :( I don't believe it is the price either, it goes right down to the hairdresser! I will be trimming my own hair soon.

I'm so sorry this happened to you :(
Over and over again I feel like we're shown that hairdressers simply cannot be trusted! I trim my own hair now (if I trim it at all) and feel so much more comfortable that way.

Thank you. A lot of them can't be trusted because they simply don't care, but those few that do care are one in a million. I just haven't found mine yet. I will be trimming my own hair soon, hopefully I'll feel comfortable doing it.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Hairdressers can be brutal.

Thank you, and they sure can be extremely brutal. :(

I am a hairdresser...I wish you guys lived my way!!!I would never have done this to you!! I have long hair .. Please do not let this time scare you of hairdressers!! Find a person you like and trust..only go to her/him...

I wish I lived your way too! I'm sure you listen, and you being a long hair yourself would understand. :) This time has scared me, but hopefully one day I'll find a great hairdresser.

BerryFlap
August 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
It really is awful how many times this has happened, it seems that hairdressers these days are more interested in their fee than the quality of their work. Having an understanding hairdresser is pretty hard to find these days... There are 4 salons in the town that I live, none of which I like. A few months ago I went to the expensive professional salon with all these 'best hairdresser in the UK' awards etc. etc.
She hacked my waist length hair to just shorter than shoulder length. I asked to get rid of the damage, I even showed a picture of what I wanted it to be. Not even kidding, I could've killed her :/

But hair grows, and I guess that's part of the fun of it. Watching your hair grow, pampering it and trying new things to help the growth :)

In every cloud there's a silver lining :)

GabrielleRose
August 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
It really is awful how many times this has happened, it seems that hairdressers these days are more interested in their fee than the quality of their work. Having an understanding hairdresser is pretty hard to find these days... There are 4 salons in the town that I live, none of which I like. A few months ago I went to the expensive professional salon with all these 'best hairdresser in the UK' awards etc. etc.
She hacked my waist length hair to just shorter than shoulder length. I asked to get rid of the damage, I even showed a picture of what I wanted it to be. Not even kidding, I could've killed her :/

But hair grows, and I guess that's part of the fun of it. Watching your hair grow, pampering it and trying new things to help the growth :)

In every cloud there's a silver lining :)

It is awful, and you're right it sure does seem that they worry more about their fee.

I am so sorry they hacked off your waist length hair. I think I would have gone on into a screaming rant!

But you are right about hair growing back, and how exciting it is to watch it grow back and pamper it. :)