PDA

View Full Version : Layers

Carolinagirl788
August 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hello all!

I'm thinking about putting some layers in my thick wavy hair. I used to have layers but not since I started using the Curly girl/no poo method. Right now, my hair is super big and voluminous but in a good way. Like, it's not frizzy or poufy, but I just have A LOT of hair, but I like that. I want all the benefits of layered hair, more volume, an edgy-ish look, more face framing, etc. But I really don't want to make it look like I have less hair than I do.

Do you think my hair would look better or worse? I tried to upload a crappy webcam pic as my profile picture... think it worked lol. I'm new here :D Thanks for the help!

Cainwen
August 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
If you can find a good stylist, layers would probably work really well. But only if you find a stylist whose work you have seen on someone else's head, preferably someone with hair similar to yours. I have (I think) hair similar to yours and I have had both really terrible layers from bad stylists and awesome layers from a very good stylist. The only downside, as I am now discovering, is that if you decide to grow it really long and try to put it up, the layer ends stick out everywhere.

UltraBella
August 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
In response to the post above, I have had my hair as long as tailbone length and I didn't have any problems with my ends sticking out.
Carolinagirl788, I have very thick hair and I find that layers are an absolute must for me. My hair is much too heavy without layers and just hangs there all uninspiring. With layers my hair has movement and shape, and it still looks VERY thick.
However, the layers must be cut well or you will hate them with a passion. A stylist talented at layers is essential.
Good luck !!!

Carolinagirl788
August 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Now I'm super scared... I don't want a bad stylist lol. My go-to genius stylist went on to bigger and better things in another state and I found someone who fixed my botched color and she gave me a free trim, but she's never actually cut into my hair before. It's so scary!! I'm so paranoid she'll give me bad layers... with my hair being wavy and thick I would think it'd be more complicated than thin, normal hair. SCARY!!! Thanks for your help ladies, any more opinions would be welcomed :-)

sarahbrownie
August 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Now I'm super scared... I don't want a bad stylist lol. My go-to genius stylist went on to bigger and better things in another state and I found someone who fixed my botched color and she gave me a free trim, but she's never actually cut into my hair before. It's so scary!! I'm so paranoid she'll give me bad layers... with my hair being wavy and thick I would think it'd be more complicated than thin, normal hair. SCARY!!! Thanks for your help ladies, any more opinions would be welcomed :-)

Try looking for someone on Yelp, or if you see someone with really good hair ask her who she sees. I've done this several times when I use to go to a salon. Make sure they don't cut it too short at the top, it's a pain to get it into a ponytail if it's too short. Good luck!

Carolinagirl788
August 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
I looked on yelp and there were only like, two salons with reviews and one of them is waaaaay out of my price range. Good suggestion though, I totally forgot about that website! And yeah, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for killer long layered hair and ask them who cut it lol. I'm so ridiculously paranoid about my hair, especially when it comes to cutting. I wish finding a good, affordable stylist was easier!

Moor_tu_lyfe
August 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Carolinagirl,

I'm a newby here too, and my hair isn't as thick as yours, but I love layers! Main point I make to the hairdresser is don't make the top layers too short (have a clear idea of where you want your layers to start). I also ask for the top layers to be fairly thin (but I don't have as much hair as you unfortunately) and well blended, by cutting "up" into the layers when she has finished.

I have also had a go at doing my own, which when my hair is long enough I found works really well. First I brush all my hair up sidedown, into a ponytail while my hair is 'flipped' over. Then I gather all the ends in one hand and cut straight across with the other (does that make sense?) Then I always spend a bit of time 'blending' these by continuing to cut straight up into the end of the ponytail to thin the ends.

I probably haven't explained that very well, have a look for a tutorial on cutting your own hair. I found once I flip my hair back over, the layers settle out and my hair has much more volume and movement then with no layers.

Good luck.

julliams
August 23rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Start with something subtle and that way, if it doesn't work for you, you will find it relatively easy to grow out. If you love them, you can go more layered from there. Make sure you have a good meeting with your stylist first so you know that you are on the same page. If you have some pictures that is always a good thing. The word "subtle" is a good one rather than "a few" and be very specific about the shortest layer length.

Carolinagirl788
August 23rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Good tips Julliams! Will definitely be utilizing those ideas :D

Gabriel
August 23rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hi Carolinagirl788! I have classic+ hair and have layers. I really like them and my stylist always does a great job on my hair. I've grown from tail bone to classic with her. There were a few bumps along the way due to my own faulty directions/lack of directions (or my unsuccessful self fringe chopping disasters) but she's always done exactly what I've wanted and for the past few cuts everything has been easy and simple trims with less and less being taken off and the condition of my hair improving more and more.

She also knows I use shampoo bars and and henna and other less mainstream things and doesn't bat an eyelash at it all and never tries to sell me on other products. I let her shampoo/condition with the salon stuff since it's only a few times a year plus she doesn't manhandle my hair. I only see her four times a year and I'll let her blow dry it if she wants and occasionally flat iron my fringe when it's a fringe but if I tell her not to bother she won't even blow dry it. She always, always asks me first though. (She uses a heat protectant if she does though, and never over goops on the stuff.)

In addition to the great advice already given I'd also like to add be sure to specify if you want your hair cut with a razor, scissor sliding or just cut. I've tried the layers all ways and now I remind her not to slide the scissors. (She already knows I don't like razored in layers - just a personal preference for me.)

Arashi
August 23rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
My hair is naturally pretty straight-ish, but I've had layers cut for the purpose of styling curly/wavy hair(that I usually achieve with damp braiding). Anyway, I really like the layers I have now.. they make my hair hold curls and waves much easier and take it from the triangle-head sort of voluminous to still voluminous but much more flattering. Well-cut layers have the ability to enhance waves and put volume to good use, I'd say, so I would definitely recommend them for that purpose. :)

newbeginning
August 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Make sure you bring pictures of what you have in mind and discuss it with the stylist before hand too.

Lianna
August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have layers because I want less volume in my hair. It doesn't change my amount of frizz though. I think your hair looks lovely as it is.

curlymarcia
August 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I would say that you can try long layers (if you don't like it it will be easy to get rid of them). And I would avoid a razor cut. Good luck and let us now your decision.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
If you see a stylist, please do not hesitate to stand up and say "no". I've seen all kinds of posts where people ask for layers no shorter than chin length and walk out with very short layers. Know what you want, pay attention, and don't just sit there meekly and submit.

Good luck!

LeMimi13
July 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I wany the same thing.. but I really want a thick hem. I have layering inthe front qnf I was wondering of with a very slight layerong in the back Id get wavier hair, since it feels like only the shorter pieces of my hair "vurl", wh8le the others just stand in a loose S shape.

spidermom
July 19th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Another old thread arises from the dead; it's the zombie apocalypse!
!

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Oh-oh, I nearly thought oh a new thread I could participate in, then I looked at the date. :lol:

Aderyn
July 19th, 2015, 12:31 PM
You could still participate! Better 4 years late late than never, eh?

..no? oh.. k.

HintOfMint
July 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM
I'm a huge proponent of layers, especially on thick, wavy hair. I've gone through periods of time where my hair was relatively unlayered, and it just wasn't flattering. It was chunky, blocky, and shapeless.

The key is to find a hairdresser who is skilled both in haircutting and listening. This may be controversial, but I wouldn't do supercuts or any of those kinds of discount chains. I'm sure there are some great stylists there, but these chains operate on giving simple cuts in the quickest amount of time. You need someone who is going to really take their time with your hair. I highly recommend scouring Yelp.

I would also bring pictures of someone with layers but who has your hair texture (maybe even color and face shape, just to really drive home how it would look on you). I would also specify that you want to keep the ends looking thick and you do NOT want your hair thinned out.

Both layers and hairdressers get a bad rap on LHC but my experience has been mostly positive. Good luck!

EDIT: Whoops! Really old thread!

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I have layers as well. I agree with HintOfMint it is amazing on thick wavy hair. I do a home cut (compact cut), the one for the shortest layers (ponytail on the forehead). It works out really well. My shortest layer is about waist right now and I'm almost classic length.

LeMimi13
July 19th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I have layers as well. I agree with HintOfMint it is amazing on thick wavy hair. I do a home cut (compact cut), the one for the shortest layers (ponytail on the forehead). It works out really well. My shortest layer is about waist right now and I'm almost classic length.

Are your layers done in the back too with that method? Does it increase your overal waviness?

lapushka
July 19th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Are your layers done in the back too with that method? Does it increase your overal waviness?

Well I'm almost classic (within half an inch), and my waviness has gone down because of it, but it's wavier than I was at waist all-one-length. What I described are my layers in the back. They are done all over with this ponytail method. It's one ponytail, so it takes all your hair in one snip and cuts it into layers like that. It gives a sharp V in the back too.

The second method is putting the ponytail on top of your head. This gives you longer layers. Here's the page on it. Both techniques are from the book, "Haircutting for dummies".
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

meteor
July 19th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Since we are necromancing this thread, I figured I should post links to this article that I think breaks down very well different kinds of layers and, most importantly, explains how to communicate to your hairdresser the exact kind of layered effect you want :) :
For straight/wavy hair: http://thebeautydepartment.com/2014/09/language-of-layers-part-1/
For more textured/curly hair: http://thebeautydepartment.com/2014/10/language-of-layers-part-2/