PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Comment, more on color than length...

LindainCO
August 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
So glad to be back! I had a reformat and lost my links!
Plus, my hair is now almost 23" long, was 19" when I started here! :cheer:

My oldest friend was looking at my hair the other night, she has nice hair, hardly any gray, and she encouraged me to grow mine (but maybe not THIS long? :D) but was a bit confused about the color. For 40 years, I was a blonde. I was blonde when young, and the last year or so, have tried to go natural, but my hair is med-dark brown and I would say, 60% gray or more. Not a pretty gray, and doesn't look good with my face. I tried growing it out, but finally added some blonde streaks. The length is the old blonde, and a bit brassy.
I have done the streaks/highlights on the new growth only, but have delayed this time as I have some scalp damage due to bleaching, I think. I am trying some natural fungus cures, just in case, and might try the Monistat.
She also thought my hair looked dry, so I am upping my oil treatments. It made me feel self-conscious, but in a way, I feel like saying, "It is what it is", and letting it keep on growing just to see what happens.....she does envy my thickness, but wanted to help me out on conditioning.
Should I just ignore her? Should I hurry and update those highlights? Is there anyway to stop the brassiness? I just ordered 3 deep conditioners from Curlmart....I have oil that I put on after shampooing, but maybe its not enough?

Thanks for letting me go on and on.....

Jayce
August 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I guess it depends who wears the hair everyday, you or your friend :)

Seriously though, it's good she wants to help and if you feel her comments are constructive, even better. Maybe she's can't yet picture you as something other than blond, or she's getting nervous about her own greys. Sometimes our own changes can affect others in odd ways.

The only question that matters is - what do you want? Cover the grey, go all natural, blend the colours while it grows or try a completely new colour? Once you know the answer and feel confident with it, it won't matter what anyone says, or if they agree.

Shany
August 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I think you should do what you think would be best for you. Bleach is very damaging, maybe you should dye it a rich shade closer to your natural med-dark brown and that suits your skin tone. Like this: http://cdn.kaltura.com/p/482031/thumbnail/entry_id/0_s77htilz/width/600/height/600/type/1/quality/90.

To prevent brassy tones, you could use a UV hair protectant and purple shampoo, avoid heat appliances...

Lianna
August 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
I didn't quite catch what you want either. I think you might like a neutral dark blonde though, doesn't get very brassy, you cover your gray. But again, I'm not sure what you want.

But as for "damage" people color their hair all the time, isn't the end of the world. Now if you're (general you) bleaching the hell out of it, it might be. To me, as least, a little color to cover gray isn't a big deal.

curlymarcia
August 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
If blond hair it's so important to you (not your friend) you should highlight it. The blue shampoo will help you with the brassines.