PDA

View Full Version : How do you use aloe vera gel on your hair?

autumn leaves
August 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Someone recommended that I try aloe vera gel in my previous thread and I'm planning to buy some tomorrow, so I am wondering how people use it. Do you primarily apply it to wet hair, or can you use it on dry hair as well? Do you apply only to the ends, or to the roots/ scalp, too? What kind of effects did it give you?

Thanks in advance! :)

Crocus
August 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Thank you for posting this btw. I was going to ask something similar.

I've been putting it in my hair when it is wet and french braiding it. It keeps it all nice and smooth. I got a little paranoid that maybe I shouldn't be putting gobs of it on my hair so I was going to find out if I'm drying my hair out or screwing it up somehow.

I bought my aloe to do the SMT and that worked really well on my hair. (which led me to using it to braid my hair)

autumn leaves
August 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Crocus! What is SMT? I'm a bit of a newbie and haven't figured out all the acronyms :o

Since you say it is soft, I'm guessing it didn't leave a 'coated' layer like some commercial gels do - is that right?

Lynda
August 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
I mix it with oils...grapeseed, coconut, and/or jojoba. I find it too crispy and sticky alone.

autumn leaves
August 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Linda - what ratio of AVG/oil do you use?

autumn leaves
August 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sorry - I don't have the edit function yet - I didn't mean to misspell your name Lynda :o

xoxophelia
August 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
I put about 3 drops worth of jojoba oil in my palm and then mix about a quarter size of aloe vera gel together with that. I then gently scrunch it through the length of my wet hair when I want to wear its natural waves but keep them a little neater. I don't like my hair to look "producty" and I have somewhat thick hair so the amount you use may be more or less.

emelnd
August 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
SMT is Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. I love it!

Crocus
August 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Here is the link to the SMT recipe. It was the first thing that I tried on this board and it made me a believer. :)

autumn leaves
August 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks, all!

Wow. That SMT recipe looks pretty amazing. I'm trying that out :D

On mixing AVG with oil, has anyone used olive oil? Does that work?

emelnd
August 24th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Also Kimberlily's defrizz spray has AVG in it.

Sooze
August 25th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I tend to use AVG on its own now on dry hair to tame it a little. I've found it helps to define the curls without making it sticky, and it's easy to finger comb out if I choose.

celebriangel
August 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I use olive oil - extra virgin is best - with impunity, and love it, but 1) you need to be *very* sparing with it, and 2) some people seem to find it a total b*tch to get out.

This puzzles me - I just do my normal CO and it comes out like a dream, even if I've totally saturated my hair with tablespoons of it. But YMMV.

I put my AVG on my face as a moisturiser, mixed with a teensy bit of hemp seed oil. It works great for my acne-prone skin.

autumn leaves
August 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yes, I'm trying out the Kimberlilly's spray now. First try this morning :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It depends on what I am using it for :)

I use quite a lot of aloe if I want to hold my curls and I always mix with oil for this (as my leave in), After I wash my hair, I towel dry and put a good amount on my palm add a few drops of oil (I like EVOO for this because its easy to mix and my hair likes heavy oils but if yours likes a particular oil, use that! if using coconut oil, add that to your hands first so it melts) and rub my hands together and then apply to my hair.. and kind of scrunch a little.

If I am using it to tame fly-aways, I use just add a tiny bit to my hands, rub and smooth over as you would use any gel.

autumn leaves
August 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM

I use quite a lot of aloe if I want to hold my curls and I always mix with oil for this (as my leave in), After I wash my hair, I towel dry and put a good amount on my palm add a few drops of oil (I like EVOO for this because its easy to mix and my hair likes heavy oils but if yours likes a particular oil, use that! if using coconut oil, add that to your hands first so it melts) and rub my hands together and then apply to my hair.. and kind of scrunch a little.

If I am using it to tame fly-aways, I use just add a tiny bit to my hands, rub and smooth over as you would use any gel.

I haven't tried this yet, so I want to try it tomorrow (tomorrow is wash day). I haven't had that much success with AVG on its own so far. I'll report back. Thanks :)

Eden Iris
August 26th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I use it:
--On its own on dry hair to control frizz and flyaways. It makes buns sleeker and defines my waves if I'm wearing my hair down.
--As part of my henna removal mixture, along with honey and yogurt: 1 part each honey and AVG to 4 parts plain, nonfat yogurt (modified SMT). By henna removal, I mean washing it out after application, NOT removing color!

emelnd
August 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Eden Iris, good thing you clarified it is not for removing color. I was scared for a second it would remove my color hahaha!

stacyyyy1972
August 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Nice..im so glad you added the part about the coconut oil. I Just purchased my first container and was surprised as I was looking for actual oil and came in the jug that looks like a paste but really its not pasty so I was wondering how to get it in so more liquid base before applying. Has anyone tried using this in kimberlilys spritzer if so how could I do that

neko_kawaii
August 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
An aloe tip: it is classified as a humicant which means if there is moisture in the surrounding air it will moisturize your hair but if the air is dry it will remove moisture from your hair.

I live in the desert. I used it on a humid monsoon storm day and had great results and then couldn't understand a day later why my hair had turned to straw!

tigereye
August 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I just take a little blob about twice the size of a pea, rub it between my hands and spread over wet hair. Stops the friizies. I also use it on my hair when rag curling damp hair, although then it's about a pea size amount on each section.

autumn leaves
August 27th, 2011, 09:54 AM
So, I tried the AVG & coconut oil mixture this morning. I took the equivalent of three drops or so of coconut oil and mixed it with a dash of AVG that was a bit larger. I rubbed the two together in my hands and then distributed in my wet hair after washing. At first I wasn't quite sure of the result, but after it dried properly I think it added some volume and curl definition, and I'd like to keep experimenting with it. I will try to put a bit more on the 'outside' of the hair next time. I avoided that this morning because I was a bit afraid it would turn out oily (pure oils don't seem to work that well on my hair, whether olive or coconut), but looking at it now it seems fine :)

SwordWomanRiona
February 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I use a generous amount of the clear gel on my wet hair, after shampoo, and apply it on the ends and length, as a leave-in.

After reading some threads, I'm thinking about mixing some with water (or finding some aloe vera juice), and getting it into a mister to use from time to time, too...

ravenheather
February 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Aloe curious here too.

autumn leaves
May 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I use a generous amount of the clear gel on my wet hair, after shampoo, and apply it on the ends and length, as a leave-in.

After reading some threads, I'm thinking about mixing some with water (or finding some aloe vera juice), and getting it into a mister to use from time to time, too...

Yes, I now use AVG in my mister - I mix it with jojoba oil, water, sea salt, and a couple of essential oils. It works well for me.

Thistle4U
May 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I tried this today, I had lumps in my hair after rinsing several times. I had to re-rinse again, it does smell nice and hair is soft.

MintChocChip
May 31st, 2012, 12:34 AM
I've only been using it a short time to define my curls when I put them in bendy rollers or curl formers. It really helps to define them and make them last a little longer. Plus, I find it makes my hair softer and less frizzy. :D

I'm also going to use it at the weekend as part of SMT.

lilliemer
June 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
An aloe tip: it is classified as a humicant which means if there is moisture in the surrounding air it will moisturize your hair but if the air is dry it will remove moisture from your hair.

I live in the desert. I used it on a humid monsoon storm day and had great results and then couldn't understand a day later why my hair had turned to straw!

I have noticed a similar effect in air conditioned environments as I have been experimenting with aloe gel as a curl keeper. It worked okay earlier in the spring before the a/c kicked up everywhere. Now that I am continually moving from humid outdoors to frigid dry over-air-conditioned interiors :rolleyes:, the aloe seems to make my hair quite dry and crunchy. Also I have noticed that aloe does not have a terribly strong curl-holding power (in my hair at least) - the curl starts to drop out after an hour or two. This may not be a concern for everyone (particularly if you have fine hair or are just using it for smoothing effects), however i wanted it as a gel replacement. I think I may need something a bit stronger though.

afu
June 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I use aloe vera gel as my moisturiser after I wash my face and before applying makeup - if the air is very dry i apply it in a steamy bathroom. Its also great as a spot treatment

I also add a big blob of aloe vera gel to my conditioner bottle and shake well - mini SMT in every CO wash

I combine half and half with soft, almost liquid coconut oil and use as a frizz busting serum

partlycloudy
June 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
This has been really helpful! Never knew you could use it as a natural gel. Thanks all! :flowers:

ratgirldjh
June 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I use it as a kind of conditioner. When my hair is wet after washing I take globs of it and smoosh it through my lengths. Then I rinse well and finish with cold water. Makes my hair really shiny. It does build up though eventually so I now only use it after washes.

BrightEyes
June 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I only use it in SMTs. My hair hasn't liked it other ways I've tried it.

ratgirldjh
June 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Wanted to add - my hair doesn't like it as a leave in because the humidity is so variable here. But when I rinse it out it seems to work great.

JuniperBerry
June 5th, 2012, 08:10 PM