PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Tuck Not Secure

Persephone
August 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Is there something I"m doing wrong? I make a ponytail, then a pocket, then stuff my hair in the pocket, and cover up the pocket with a barrette. It feels like if I move suddenly, it will all fall out. It looks really pretty, but doesn't feel secure at all. :confused:

Ostelot
August 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Your hair type may be reason for that. Do you have slippery hair (like I do)? Unfortunately I've noticed the same problem, the Gibson tuck with the barrette alone won't last long. But if the Gibson tuck is secured with a couple of bobby pins and done quite tightly, the updo will last all day. Sometimes I'd like to do looser Gibson tuck, but luckily at least the tighter variation stays in place.

Alternatively you do something else that causes the problem. But here's one option to a better result.

Kricket
August 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with Ostelot -- your hair texture has a lot to do with it. There are plenty of hairstyles that are incompatible with my hair. If you hair is long enough and the strands aren't as rough/thick as mine it helps to loop it through once and pin that before tucking the ends in. It looks a little different, but it helps a ton in securing sliding hair. =) Good luck

Persephone
August 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Yep, pretty slippery hair. I'll try pinning it. Thanks! :)

clichepithet
August 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
You could try braiding your length, and coiling/pinning the braid inside the pocket. The longer your length, the harder the Gibson gets. It's my favorite, too. :( I agree with hair-type having a lot to do with it.

Anyway, length considered, you could also try a flipped bun (tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up3ftEV45_c) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZBeEvzPHg)). I find that if I rotate the bun a little bit extra before flipping it and then rotating it back down into the loose hair when flipped/flipping, I can get it to look Gibson-esq. Did that make sense?