PDA

View Full Version : bungee, or some other spelling...

intothemist1999
August 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
I know I've come across two types of bungee during my time here. I just "googled" "hair bungee" and sure enough it looks like a bungee cord.

The other one is a different type of ponytail holder with a different spelling of "bungee".

Can anyone help me name the second?

What are the pros and cons of each?

My hair friendly elastics seem to pull alot of hair so I'm trying to find other options (that will work on my slippery hair).

intothemist1999
August 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
Ok, I continued searching variable spellings and found Bunjii, which is the one I was thinking of. None of the links work, however. :confused:

gabee
August 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry, I just looked for the Bunjii, but no luck. I think they don't exist anymore unfortunately :( But I did find other Bungee hair ties for pretty cheap! As for the pros and cons, I have no idea since I hadn't heard of these until now, but the Bungees look like a nice alternative to regular hair ties.

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2011, 06:31 AM
The "bunjii" is not made anymore. Tresses used to work for the guy who made them so maybe she will stop in and add to this. Every now and then one will pop up on the swap board but since they are quite rare now, they are kind of pricey. Eons ago there was a Bunjii group order so quite a few of the long time LHCers have them.

HairStickler
August 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
My hair friendly elastics seem to pull alot of hair so I'm trying to find other options (that will work on my slippery hair).
Have you tried making elastics from pantyhose or children's tights? I use them in my daughter's slippery hair and they hold, as long as I wrap them around enough times.

intothemist1999
August 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Have you tried making elastics from pantyhose or children's tights? I use them in my daughter's slippery hair and they hold, as long as I wrap them around enough times.

No! I never came across that idea before. Thanks!

Kricket
August 26th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Here ya go:

MetaGrip PonyTail Hooks (http://www.sallybeauty.com/ponytail-hooks/MTAGRP4,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15)

=)

DarleneH
September 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Do you know those children's bungees that have the two beads on them, and you wrap them around your hair then push one of the beads behind the other bead and that secures the elastic? This past weekend I wandered into one of those beauty supply stores that is mostly African American type hair stuff, and I found some of the bead bungees in black, brown, bronze, colors that would work for brunettes and not look nearly so childish. The ones I've seen in Wal-Mart and drugstores had huge neon colored beads and were definitely not adult-friendly. These are much more appropriate-looking on us grown-ups.

intothemist1999
September 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Here ya go:

MetaGrip PonyTail Hooks

=)

thanks!! :)

Do you know those children's bungees that have the two beads on them, and you wrap them around your hair then push one of the beads behind the other bead and that secures the elastic? This past weekend I wandered into one of those beauty supply stores that is mostly African American type hair stuff, and I found some of the bead bungees in black, brown, bronze, colors that would work for brunettes and not look nearly so childish. The ones I've seen in Wal-Mart and drugstores had huge neon colored beads and were definitely not adult-friendly. These are much more appropriate-looking on us grown-ups.

Wow, those were the types I used as a kid! lol 'Course we didn't call them bungees in those days, but they were the ONLY type of ponytail holder around.

Interesting idea...I'd never have thought of those.

intothemist1999
October 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Wanted to thank you again for this suggestion! I picked up a couple which are definitely kid bobbles, but I can use them around the house and overnight. Just a flick of one ball over the other, and out it pops. I've lost ALOT fewer hairs since switching to these!!

I'm casually on the look-out for ones that are more "grup" appropriate. :D There used to be an African hair shop down the road...I'll see if it's still there and if they carry these.

WaitingSoLong
October 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ok, I never figured out how to put on those old-style bobble ones. How do you hold the ponytail securely and without messing it up while wrapping the elastic? I need some "how-to" instrux for those things.

Tresses
October 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The "bunjii" is not made anymore. Tresses used to work for the guy who made them so maybe she will stop in and add to this. Every now and then one will pop up on the swap board but since they are quite rare now, they are kind of pricey. Eons ago there was a Bunjii group order so quite a few of the long time LHCers have them.

Not much to add, Carolyn. :thumbsup: Bunjii, Inc. closed a few years back, but if anyone's interested in more info about Bunjiis, here is an interview Fox had done with their creator, Brad Bealmear: http://www.longhairloom.com/bunjii.html.

intothemist1999
October 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, I never figured out how to put on those old-style bobble ones. How do you hold the ponytail securely and without messing it up while wrapping the elastic? I need some "how-to" instrux for those things.

I find that doing it without trying to look is best -- just do it by feel. And yes, it's taken me a few tries to find a way that works. I've never done a vid before but might if it helps. In the meantime...

(This might seem wordy for a relatively simply process, but I didn't want to leave anything out).

(I'm right-handed): With my LH I hold the pony securely at its base...actually with just the thumb and first finger or two to allow some room:

-I start with the the holder resting between my LH hand and head, top bobble draped over the top of the pony if it's long enough. I extend a finger to slightly hold it in place.

-with my RH I grab the lower bobble and wrap it under and up the right side and over. then use a LH finger or pressure from the left hand to keep it in place while I...

-reach under the pony again with RH, repeat above.

Granted, it does get more tricky with each sweep as it gets tighter.

When it's tight enough, when you've grabbed it from underneath for the last time, then you just spread the elastic and place one bobble over the other.

NOte: In my case I find it helpful to have my face slightly tilted down and to the right, with the pony swept to the left. I find that makes it a bit easier to keep the length out of the way. It ain't perfect, but it's the best I've come up with so far.

intothemist1999
October 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
I wanted to put in a good word for other types of ponytail holders, wrapping them, too. I always used to do the "pull through" method, but since starting to use the bobble types, I've done it with the type of elastic that has a decorative item attached to it (I'm not sure what those are called). Something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/83746702/dichroic-fused-glass-hair-tie-ponytail?ref=sr_list_25&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=ponytail+holder&ga_view_type=list&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade). You can find them at drugstores, and places like Claire's and Icing, I believe. too.

Basically used the same as the bobble ones, but just wrap/hook the end of the elastic over the decorative item.

moxamoll
October 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM
I wanted to put in a good word for other types of ponytail holders, wrapping them, too. I always used to do the "pull through" method, but since starting to use the bobble types, I've done it with the type of elastic that has a decorative item attached to it (I'm not sure what those are called). Something like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/83746702/dichroic-fused-glass-hair-tie-ponytail?ref=sr_list_25&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=ponytail+holder&ga_view_type=list&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade). You can find them at drugstores, and places like Claire's and Icing, I believe. too.

Basically used the same as the bobble ones, but just wrap/hook the end of the elastic over the decorative item.
Oooo! What a good idea, I always used those as regular pull through elastics, just with a definite "front". I never thought use it the way you are suggesting.

And those bungii's look amazing. It seems like he should have had enough business to keep going forever. Does anyone know why they aren't available anymore? Do they not work as well as advertised or did he not market them properly or did he just get bored?

Juicematic
October 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm so sad that I never got any of the bunjiis. The looked awesome

Anje
October 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Clearly I've watched too much Red Vs. Blue. The first thing I thought with the thread title was, "don't they make Halo?"

As I understand it (this was a bit before my time), one of the problems that Bunjii encountered was that it was hard to get consistently-sized elastics. They'd get batches that weren't sized quite right and therefore wouldn't clip nicely into the little holder doohicky.

I need to get some of those bobble things. Does anyone know of a good place to get the ones without metal? I'd much rather give them a twist to keep the sides together than have to deal with that chunk of metal pinching them. (I'd also like some spiky ones, to make the end of my braid look weapon-like.....)

intothemist1999
October 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
I need to get some of those bobble things. Does anyone know of a good place to get the ones without metal?

Actually I'd forgotten about the metal cinch from the ones I wore as a kid. The ones I grabbed at the dollar store are essential the same MINUS the metal bit.

Imagine something like this without the cinch in the middle.

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/3e/1/AAAAC5jSLEgAAAAAAD4Tkg.jpg?v=1238048758000

DarleneH
October 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wanted to thank you again for this suggestion! I picked up a couple which are definitely kid bobbles, but I can use them around the house and overnight. Just a flick of one ball over the other, and out it pops. I've lost ALOT fewer hairs since switching to these!!

I'm casually on the look-out for ones that are more "grup" appropriate. :D There used to be an African hair shop down the road...I'll see if it's still there and if they carry these.

Glad I could help. :)

These are the exact ones I have:
http://www.mydkusa.com/10mm14pcs/19-10mm-balls-navy-2dz24dz.html

No metal, and the balls are on the small side, not like those huge jawbreaker sized ones in Wal-Mart and other places. These are probably made for little bitty girls, not older girls, so the beads on these are smaller. I still would prefer something without the beads, but for how cheap these were ($1 for a pack of 10) I'm not going to complain! It won't bother me at all to wear them.

DarleneH
October 23rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
It crossed my mind how we could make our own version of those bead bungees.
(1) Get a bead you like and a ponytail elastic.
(2) Push the elastic through the bead hole and out the other side, so you then have a loop of elastic on each side of the bead.
(3) Take one loop, push it across the bead and through the other loop, and pull tight so the bead is held tight by one loop and the other loop is free to wrap around your hair.
(4) If you need more elastic, take a second elastic and weave it onto the free loop just like you did with the bead.

intothemist1999
October 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
It crossed my mind how we could make our own version of those bead bungees.
(1) Get a bead you like and a ponytail elastic.
(2) Push the elastic through the bead hole and out the other side, so you then have a loop of elastic on each side of the bead.
(3) Take one loop, push it across the bead and through the other loop, and pull tight so the bead is held tight by one loop and the other loop is free to wrap around your hair.
(4) If you need more elastic, take a second elastic and weave it onto the free loop just like you did with the bead.

Great idea!

If I'm imagining right (I'm very sleepy), you could do this to add a second bead on the other end, if desired (?).

Thanks, DarleneH, you've probably just started a new addiction!! :p

kaitmil
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Such great ideas. I have a couple of the decorated elastics my dh gave me for Christmas one year. Always struggled to get the Horse shoe faced the right way. With your ideas I think it should be much easier and less hair twisted on elastic.

intothemist1999
October 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Such great ideas. I have a couple of the decorated elastics my dh gave me for Christmas one year. Always struggled to get the Horse shoe faced the right way. With your ideas I think it should be much easier and less hair twisted on elastic.

:thumbsup: Excellent, kaitmil! I bet it will work!