PDA

View Full Version : outdated hairstyles or trends

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
I was just thinking after looking at some old 70's family pics of the many outdated weird hair trends that I have experienced in my life.

Like white walls. I totally did white walls back in about 90.

And there was a brief time in the early 90's when the headbangers were wearing a thin headband around their heads, coming onto their foreheads (sort of like the 60's hippy thing, but not quite). I totally did this as well. I am really curious if anyone else knows about this or did it. I have no photos to upload but I do have one old righteous pic of my wicked 80's hair (complete with white walls if you were to look close). Perhaps I will scan and upload it later if this thread takes off.

Then of course there were the mile high teased bangs. Just the bangs. And feathers. I feathered my hair for YEARS. And I don't men the clip on or extenstion kind like EricTheGreat just got.

Of course poodle perms were very popular. My yearbooks are hilarious. Of course my experience is limited to the last 3.5 decades.

There was also a time (later, perhaps late 90's) when mohawks were popular but they were not spiked up or colored. The hair was long and just allowed to flop around.

One more: there was another trend where the boys would buzz cut their hair but have bangs.

Others?

racrane
August 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm only 20 so not many trends to offer, but my mom's birthday was today and she turned 50. The whole family looked at photos of her when she was young and it was rather amusing to see her with the 80s big hair. :D

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM
We were just discussing some time in the late 80s or maybe early 90s when girls did their bangs a mile high. I didn't have the equipment to do that myself but I did the hide-behind-long-bangs thing that seemed to coincide with grunge and I did bleach and dye my hair orange after Run Lola Run (I would have done red but a friend had already done his hair red, so I settled for orange).

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM
I LOVE THAT MOVIE (I own it- Run Lola Run) and the soundtrack is awesome to jog to! Never dyed my hair a funky color. That was never in style when I was young.

elbow chic
August 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I had these awesome two-tiered curled/feathered bangs in sixth grade. One's whole day could be ruined (RUINED!) by uncooperative bangs, or rain on the walk to school.

Also: someone on LHC recently said that wispy bangs were dated. "pft!" I thought. "They are not." Then I was watching old episodes of the Power Rangers and lo and behold the Yellow Power Ranger has wispy bangs. Dang, the wispy-bang-hater was right. To me they still look cute, though.

And yes, I had a poodle perm as a little girl. A home job, done by my aunt. As I recall the curl didn't last all that long, or maybe it was just allowed to grow out and nobody ever spoke of it again.

AnnaJamila
August 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM
I used to always have long hair with blunt cut bangs; not too old myself so I can't remember any really odd hairstyles, just that I always had my hair the same way!

My mom has curly black hair and when I was little it went down past her waist, but the funny thing I always noticed about her were her HUGE glasses! She was still quite young but she used to wear old lady glasses! She has pretty ones, now. :p

christine1989
August 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty young but I remember doing the side ponytail of the early 90s as well as hair crimping (and god forbid the crimped side pony! shudder:).

elbow chic
August 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty young but I remember doing the side ponytail of the early 90s as well as hair crimping (and god forbid the crimped side pony! shudder:).

ha! my cousin had a crimping iron. She was always so much more sophisticated.

CurlyCap
August 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty young but I remember doing the side ponytail of the early 90s

I LOVE SIDE PONIES!

And I still do them, much to the dismay of my co-workers. It's cute, but they always say it reminds them of being kids. I have a round face and dimples, so maybe my look just lets me pull it off without looking too much like a time machine throwback. :D

foogrrl
August 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM
I don't know how popular it was, but there was an odd one in the mid-90s in my area with a very tiny side accent braid wrapped in embroidery floss, often with small charms dangling from the end. I think there were sometimes pony beads involved as well?

I spent part of that summer at the beach, and there were quite a few stands set up where you could have it done. I think there was a book/kit for it as well a bit later.

Arya
August 21st, 2011, 11:31 PM
I second the whispy bangs thing.

Especially paired with a denim jacket.
And yes, all the girls had it on the power rangers!!
I think it looks like your ponytails are too tight, and they're all broken hairs you cut to one length. And since they're often paired with tight buns or ponies, I think I may be partially right!

I'm really hoping the super-saiyin mom hair is on it's way out. It comes in two colours, burgundy and blonde, but they're always spiky. Please stop it! Moms are scary enough without having to worry about kamehamehas.

I think mullets are beginning to be popular with hipsters. I've seen a few around recently..I stared in horror at one girl's head on the bus. She had naturally very curly hair, but the mullet she had made her look JUST like a poodle. If she put her nape hair in pigtails, the resemblance would be disturbing.

caiti42
August 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM
Choc top circa 2003.

Dark brown underneath, blonde on top.

darklion
August 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
remember rat tails?
I used to want one sooo bad, but all my hair always got lopped off straight across.

Katbo
August 22nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
The '80s were fantastic years to be curly! I was so lucky to "come of age" then. Ah, memories of stacked bobs and giant bangs. I think my friends and I have lung damage from those giant cans of Aquanet hairspray. I remember the first time I bought mousse--that was the coolest invention ever. :)

faithsdaisy421
August 22nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
In the early '90s there was a trend going around my Jr high where the girls would shave the bottom half of their hair (from about the ears down) and leave the top half as-is. It was so odd! I don't know if it was happening all over, or if it was just something my little podunk school thought was cool...

Slinks
August 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
In the early '90s there was a trend going around my Jr high where the girls would shave the bottom half of their hair (from about the ears down) and leave the top half as-is. It was so odd! I don't know if it was happening all over, or if it was just something my little podunk school thought was cool...
The Undercut .. all the kids were doing it here too :-) not me I was a Mum of 2 young'uns :p

Rosetta
August 22nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Oh mine, the 80's mullets, and permed mullets... :D They were SO hip at the time, but now when you think back... :o

Like white walls. I totally did white walls back in about 90.
I'm sorry but I've never heard of these, what are they..? Sounds intriguing ;)

Impulsive
August 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
I remember a lot of people used to crimp their hair. I used to do a high side pony. I also remember... I'm not sure what this was called, but kids used to knot friendship bracelets into their hair (Not the flat bracelets, but the round ones) and a little bit of the person's hair used to be at the very center of the bracelet. Done correctly it would just fall out over time, but if done incorrectly, then hair would get stuck in the knots and I remember having to cut out a few of them.

schweedie
August 22nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
Ah yes, the mullet...

remember rat tails?
I used to want one sooo bad, but all my hair always got lopped off straight across.
Maybe that's what I refer to as the mini-mullet? So many boys had it when I went to school in the 90s. Basically short hair all over with a little lock down the neck, like a teeny rait tail?

tigereye
August 22nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
I don't know how popular it was, but there was an odd one in the mid-90s in my area with a very tiny side accent braid wrapped in embroidery floss, often with small charms dangling from the end. I think there were sometimes pony beads involved as well?

I spent part of that summer at the beach, and there were quite a few stands set up where you could have it done. I think there was a book/kit for it as well a bit later.
I remember this! Must have been in the late 90's. I got it done once on holiday as a child, and mum didn't know how to unwind it, so she just took a pair of blunt kitchen scissors to my hair at that point. I had a short section of hair for the whole year after before it blended into my growing out fringe and I never went near one of those stalls again. Needless to say I since figured out how to do them and more importantly how to undo them.
I remember at one point there was a kit where you could make something similar with a small topsy tail-like tool and beads. They just stayed on with these little plastic pins, and you just removed the pin to get it out. So much easier, but you always lost the pins.

IanB
August 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Strange thing with fashion, what goes around comes around :)

Arashi
August 22nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
I was a child in the 90's- two hair related trends I remember were garish scrunchies and ponytails with multiple elastics tied throughout the length of the ponytail. At least, they were trends at my school. :)

Oh yeah, as for haircuts, there was "the rachel". I had long hair for the majority of my childhood and, not knowing anything about styling hair, I wanted a change and had my hair cut. The stylist unleashed that monstrosity on me(I call it a monstrosity because it was quite unflattering on me and.. ugh, not my cup of tea). I think some people still go for that one today but I'd personally consider it outdated.

Ginny Mae
August 22nd, 2011, 05:21 AM
I had a "Rachel" disaster too...lots of razoring and layoring which turned my thick wavy hair into a bush! I didn't have hair straighteners to make it look semi-decent either, it was all blow drying back then. I also used to wear tiny bunches/pigtails right in the front of my hair, a la Baby Spice from the Spice Girls with a kind of poofy gelled up fringe. It was heinous!

Before I read all the perm horror-stories on here I always wished I had been a teenager in the 80s so I could have had a massive perm like Star from Lost Boys or Julia Roberts in Mystic Pizza...so pretty! I love that look.

selderon
August 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
I was guilty of the big curled bangs (only for dressing up, thank goodness) and wearing scrunchies. Also, I once crimped my hair and then brushed it! I looked like a cross between a Shetland pony and the bride of Frankenstein.

It's amazing the things your friends can convince you look good when you're 12.

WaitingSoLong
August 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Ok, rat tails were definitely in. I saw one just the other day that was down to the man's waist. My oldest son had one when he was a toddler. I didn't want to cut his beautiful white blonde hair but he was looking like a girl, so I left the rat tail (c. 94-95)

And yeah, my best friend in HS shaved the bottom part of her head. I had forgotten about that!

Crimping hair. Ah yes, very sexy. LOL.

Funny, I never recall a mullet being called a mullet until after it was no longer in style. The word mullet and the name Billy Ray Cyrus are inseparable in my head. I do believe I sported a feminine version of one in the early 90's.

And I do recall a braiding trend for one strand just behind the ear but not associated with friendship bracelets or embroidery thread.

MsBubbles
August 22nd, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'm sorry but I've never heard of these, what are they..? Sounds intriguing ;)

I don't know what White Walls are, either! I'd like to know too.:)

WaitingSoLong
August 22nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
white walls are where you shave the hair just above your ears about 2" up, but not in the back or anywhere else.

Alaia
August 22nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
^ interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that.

When I was younger Crimping was very big. My mother didn't let me have a crimping iron so I used to braid my hair in tiny braids to get the crimped look :lol:

Lilli
August 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
The cool girls in middle school had an undercut, and one had the whole left half of her head shaved, and the other half undercut with a bob on top... very aggressive.

In middle/high school, the wispy bangs a la Kelly from 90210 were in fashion. You had to dry them around a round brush. I had them. So awful now!!!

Perms were grade school but my mom wouldn't let me, and she told our stylist to tell me that my hair would not take a perm. Actually, my hair takes any chemical treatment quite strongly and easily... but I'm glad I didn't have a spiral perm!

Audrey Horne
August 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
My mom had that famous 80s poodle, so did I lol She just brushed my curly hair and the trendy look was done haha
Also side-ponies with those huge scrunchies(?) and I remember those fury things that would cover buns, they were very trendy where I lived. Not much was going on in the 90s where I lived, it all just "hung there" (mostly long).
Many of those "odd styles" I sported in the 00s and the were never "in" where I lived at the time.

I had it too but in the beginning of 00s :D

aggie_deirde
August 22nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
The so called "white walls" are hip among teenage girls but only one side of the head is saved with an extreme side part.Oh the things we do to fell like we belong somewhere...

Curly Hermione
August 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
We have a picture of me at one of my nan's birthday dinners, so we're all dressed up, and even though it was about 2 years ago, i look like an 80's throwback, (bearing in mind this was before i knew about proper hair care, so my hair looked dodgy at the best of times). I had a badly judged headband thing going on, it was awful. Even in the actual 80's, it would have been classed as a bad attempt to look cool. But the funny thing is, i remember my mum was the one that told me to wear it, and then when i said i wasn't sure, she convinced me it looked good! Now, looking back, she was the one who laughed at the photo and said i looked stupid. :mad "80's throwback" is her phrase, not mine.
Not that there's anything wrong with 80's hair, just ask anyone who knows me and they'll say a lot of the time when my hair is down it could easily be classed as "big" 80's hair. I think it's a good look, but it was very badly judged and pulled off by my mum and I.
Anyway, i think one of my friends may have an 80's themed party this year, and i fully intend to use a small amount of product, and then diffuse it upside down to get the full (literally full) 80's effect.:D

Curly Hermione
August 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Oh, some girls in my school have whitewalls died leapord print, which is actually pretty cool.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Let's see: classic length, page style, short hair, crimping, sun-in, perming, bobs, pixies, shaving my head, then I discovered henna in the nineties... Meh, I guess I was all over the place. :rolling: The only thing I never tried was odd (unnatural) haircolors. :hmm:

archel
August 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
I managed to do most of the bad 80's hair trends ALL AT ONCE. There are photos of me with bleached orangey hair with a spiral perm and the super tall bangs that you curl both up and down...teased and sprayed within an inch of its life. OH WHY OH WHY. There's a photo of this with me wearing a purple tiedyed t-shirt FRAMED AND ON DISPLAY in my aunt's house! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

spidermom
August 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
I was never a trend follower in particular, but I did have the feathered shag hair style and a bi-level cut (a.k.a. mullet) - 1980s.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/80sc.jpg
And note the big glasses.

This is what I used to do with my feathered shag hair cut (can't find a picture of it natural). I thought the Afro was so beautiful, so I'd roll my hair on teeny-tiny sponge rollers, pop an afro wig over the top
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom2.jpg
until my own hair dried (about 2 days), then pick it out.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom.jpg
That was my college "look" about half the time - 1970s.

RitaPG
August 22nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
I remember the rat tails, two mates of mine had them.
My brother had a Beatles-style haircut for years, until he went corporate and buzzcut :p
And of course, the epic Tereré http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7sTaAudCOqo/SMaaBSqS1lI/AAAAAAAAATM/m3W_-z0YvNo/s400/IMG_0002.JPG it looks cute on 12year olds and younger, but about two years ago everyone in my highschool seemed to have one of these. Some were okay but most of them had a nasty color combination and the hair around it was all matted :shudder:

Arya
August 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Choc top circa 2003.

Dark brown underneath, blonde on top.

But what about the reverse? We did that to my mum for a while, all her students loved it! (about 5 years ago)

This one is just for me...but in high school (2000-2005), all my girlfriends had really long hair, between waist and classic.
They did a LOT of LHC style buns, wore a lot of hair sticks, hair slides, flexi 8s, scrunchies and bandannas.

so I often don't like a lot of LHC styles because all my friends did it between 5 and 10 years ago. You will never catch me dead in a flexi-8. *wince*

mathnerd
August 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I still have my original crimper from when I was 5 or so, lol...I don't use it any more (although, I did in high school, on waist length thick hair, lol) . I'm just one of those people who cannot get rid of things. That was pretty big when I was younger (90's). One "hairstyle" that was pretty big here in that time frame for boys was what we called "the rat tail". Basically, boys would have regular hair cuts, but at the nape of their necks would be this long lone piece of hair....i.e a tail. It was so ugly. lol

Thankfully, I missed the 80's teased hair era (born in 85), lol.

Just read that someone mentioned the rat tails already. lol oops!

clarinette
August 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, I remember those 90's mohawks, shaved underneath, long hair on top, sometimes in a half-up....all my guy friends had that....weird haircut.
Around the "Nirvana" era, everyone had bleached apl/shoulder hair. After that came the long mohawk.(i used to put red stripes with permanent markers in my hair around the same time).
Fun times....

aggie_deirde
August 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Before I had the blue streak done I used to do it with permanent markers too..Poor hair!

PinkyCat
August 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
OMG - I had the whole hair band rockstar hair since I can remember. I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of my DSS (stepson)'s EMO friends with the same hair that Nikki Sixx had in the late 80's.

Here's Nikki
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7puA1MMcmMY/TaTxl6FZPeI/AAAAAAAABh8/kCgLpZijp7I/s1600/Nikki2-759687.jpg

Here's every EMO kid on the planet.
http://emoboy.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/spiky-emo-hair.jpg

NO COMPLAINTS HERE!

Cassie 123
August 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Let's see..

1987: aiming the blowdrier straight at the forehead while simultaneously blasting with hairspray to obtain tall, spiky-straight-up bangs. Same era: scrunching the length with Aussie Sprunch while blowdrying for maximum volume.

1988: Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington hit the scene with short, short hair, leading directly to The Worst Haircut in my Whole Life. Note to self: I am not Linda Evangelista.

1989: everybody take a breather and go natural until...

1992: Grunge hits. Volume is no longer acceptable; fashionable hair must be flat. Extra points if you can make yourself look like a heroin addict.

Lilli
August 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
I managed to do most of the bad 80's hair trends ALL AT ONCE. There are photos of me with bleached orangey hair with a spiral perm and the super tall bangs that you curl both up and down...teased and sprayed within an inch of its life. OH WHY OH WHY. There's a photo of this with me wearing a purple tiedyed t-shirt FRAMED AND ON DISPLAY in my aunt's house! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

LOLOLOL!

I was never a trend follower in particular, but I did have the feathered shag hair style and a bi-level cut (a.k.a. mullet) - 1980s.

This is what I used to do with my feathered shag hair cut (can't find a picture of it natural). I thought the Afro was so beautiful, so I'd roll my hair on teeny-tiny sponge rollers, pop an afro wig over the top

Wow. Just wow. You really were devoted to the Afro look, huh???

spidermom
August 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Wow. Just wow. You really were devoted to the Afro look, huh???

With all my southern belle heart.

angleofdeth
August 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Oh my gosh...RAT TAIL!! I had short bleached hair with a long bleached rat tail! lmao

My rat tail was cool. : )

BlazingHeart
August 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
I remember my best friend's little brother having a rat tail in the early 90s...man that thing was awful!

Circa 1998, I tried to get a 'Rachel' cut. Yeah, you really can't do that look with super-thick hair. I looked like a country singer from the '80s, big poofy hair. Oh man did I hate that. I ended up cutting everything to the length of the shortest (just below chin) length layer.

~Blaze

Evalea
August 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Oh mine, the 80's mullets, and permed mullets... :D They were SO hip at the time, but now when you think back.

Oh, I remember those...I had one on multiple occasions! Can't believe I ever did that to myself or the poor people that had to look at me! My fine hair ended up a giant frizz-ball. Don't forget the chunky, also permed, bangs that went along with the 80's! (gag me!)

MsBubbles
August 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
white walls are where you shave the hair just above your ears about 2" up, but not in the back or anywhere else.

Oh! Ok. Maybe like Alannah Currie from the Thompson Twins? (http://www.multinet.no/~jonarne/Hjemmesia/Favorittartister/thompson_twins/thompson_twins_16.jpg)

I know I'm old.

BeckyAH
August 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
The 'pineapple' bob or... whatever it was, where the back was super short, and then you had an ear (or mid-ear) length bob over the top of it.

I hated that thing so much. Mostly because that was the point my mom decided my hair was straight, and lopping it all off (weight had pulled the curl out) meant that the curl SORT OF came back. Mostly? Just made me have a billion cowlicks.

RitaPG
August 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think you look totally cute in this picture :o

luckyduck
August 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
What about the wedge! My wavy hair had to be convinced to do it with a blow dryer and a round brush! It kept wanting to flip out and not under!

AnnaJamila
August 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM

I looked at those pictures and knew exactly who it was, lol! I think that college look is really cute! I'm assuming you used to perm?

AnnaJamila
August 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
I second the whispy bangs thing.

Especially paired with a denim jacket.
And yes, all the girls had it on the power rangers!!
I think it looks like your ponytails are too tight, and they're all broken hairs you cut to one length. And since they're often paired with tight buns or ponies, I think I may be partially right!

I'm really hoping the super-saiyin mom hair is on it's way out. It comes in two colours, burgundy and blonde, but they're always spiky. Please stop it! Moms are scary enough without having to worry about kamehamehas.

I think mullets are beginning to be popular with hipsters. I've seen a few around recently..I stared in horror at one girl's head on the bus. She had naturally very curly hair, but the mullet she had made her look JUST like a poodle. If she put her nape hair in pigtails, the resemblance would be disturbing.

Oh my goodness, I'm about to choke! :lol:

spidermom
August 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm assuming you used to perm?

I've had perms, but nope - not in my college years. It was all due to those skinny little sponge rollers and Dippity-Do setting gel. I had intense Afro curl for about 2 days. Haha; the curl lasted about as long as it took my hair to dry.

Milui Elenath
August 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
I was a child in the 90's- two hair related trends I remember were garish scrunchies and ponytails with multiple elastics tied throughout the length of the ponytail. At least, they were trends at my school. :)

Oh yeah, as for haircuts, there was "the rachel". SNIP

The multiple elastics, caterpillar braid! I loved that one and mostly because the last style was a bob and nobody but me had hair long enough to do it. (Since I learnt not to cut my hair for fashion the year before that after a disastrous urchin cut (now called pixie)

But I gave in at 'the Rachel' but since my hair has no volume and is very straight I couldn't even tell I had any face framing at all :rolleyes: and that was my last experiment with fashion ever :p

Kitteh
August 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM

OH MY GOD. Yes! I used to wear it all the time! I hadn't remembered it in years... Might try now that braids are back in, huh?

Kitteh
August 23rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
The multiple elastics, caterpillar braid! I loved that one and mostly because the last style was a bob and nobody but me had hair long enough to do it. (Since I learnt not to cut my hair for fashion the year before that after a disastrous urchin cut (now called pixie)

I still do this, but we don't have a name for it in my language. I call it ponytailthingy.

bonnie1735
August 23rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
"wispy bangs a la Kelly from 90210" This is not in fashion any more? I am still trying to get wispy bangs! I watch re-runs of 90210 just to look at Kelly's bangs and I am in my mid 40's!!

MsBubbles
August 23rd, 2011, 06:11 AM
But I gave in at 'the Rachel' but since my hair has no volume and is very straight I couldn't even tell I had any face framing at all :rolleyes: and that was my last experiment with fashion ever :p

You could have done what I did...spend 30 mins each morning blow-frying, then putting in huge velcro rollers, blow drying on hot, then cold, leaving them in for another 20 mins. Take out the rollers, pouf hair, admire.

Step outside to go to work and watch the whole thing go back to flat & straight within seconds :p. Yes I did that for years.

Lilli
August 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
With all my southern belle heart.

Well, you were adorable in your fro. So much work, though!

Lilli
August 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
"wispy bangs a la Kelly from 90210" This is not in fashion any more? I am still trying to get wispy bangs! I watch re-runs of 90210 just to look at Kelly's bangs and I am in my mid 40's!!

Well, they're not hard to cut... but don't.

Melisande
August 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Wow, I must be the most boring person on this planet. Since I was a girl, I always had one hairstyle: long hair, natural color. I did experiment with perms to fulfill my curl dream and they looked okay for a while, then killed my hair. And I did have a not too extreme inverted bob that looked cooler than I felt. But that was a one time attempt and I simply let my hair grow again.

I never in my life had a hairstyle that needed upkeep. If I went every two or three years to have my hair cut a bit, that was much.

I did use products to give volume and I still prefer to balance my huge figure with a bit of hair. My very straight and flat hair needs some volume at the roots and has it now from growing strong and getting nice oils etc.

But I feel bland. No shags and bangs and poufs and rachels for me, no white walls, rat tails or mullets. What a boring life! LOL

Islandgrrl
August 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM

I remember that.

I had one done at Santa Monica beach - it went all the way to classic (a few inches longer than my hair at the time). But it wasn't a little side braid, it was at my nape. It was fun while it lasted!

QueenJoey
August 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I think hippy headbands are making a comeback. Girls at my highschool do that all the time. Feathers are DEFINITELY coming back, everywhere I look, freaking feathers!!! whether they're 4, 14, or 40, the girls are all wearing them. Geez, I feel so left out, I only have one clip in.

noelgirl
August 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I wasn't very trendy as a kid - back then I was probably even more attached to long hair than I am now! So the most dated thing I did was scrunchies and huge hair bows. Oh, and Topsy-Tails. The "cool girls" at my school were pretty preppy, so we didn't really see anything too outlandish there - bobs, some long hair, a few Rachels. I do remember a few rat tails on the boys, though, mostly in elementary (early '90's).

ratgirldjh
August 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM

Hair wraps! I once did this at the renaissance festival (in addition to my regular booth) and made a LOT of extra money for a couple of years!!! You would take embrodiery floss of the colors they chose and tie it around the top of a tiny braid (at the scalp) and then wind it around and around and take out different colors and wind them around to make stripes and occasionally do half hitches to hold it all together. Or you could do half hitches all the way down but it took longer and made the wrap bulkier. If they chose you could have beads on them too.

I remember the punk cuts of the 80's!!! I used to love to have my hair very short and spiky!!! And cellophanes!!! I had blue black hair too!

In the early 70's all I wanted was to have very long very straight hair. My hair was pretty straight already but I remember buying stuff to straighten it!!! It was some kit where you put it on and combed your hair straight and waited and then rinsed it out. Suprisingly my hair looks in pretty good shape in old pictures... oh and feathered bangs that you combed sideways... (later in the 70's) Also 'baby bangs' where you cut the sides of your hair to about chin length and left the rest long.

Remember Vidal Sassoon? I used to use that for years! It had shampoo, conditioner and finishing rinse!!! Also I loved Short and Sassy. Of course that was when I had a wedge hair cut like Dorothy Hamil!!! I still love that haircut!!! And of course the original green Herbal Essences. I still remember when they came out with conditioner!!!

eta: and I forgot to add Yucca Dew!!! I loved that shampoo too!

foogrrl
August 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
OH MY GOD. Yes! I used to wear it all the time! I hadn't remembered it in years... Might try now that braids are back in, huh?

I never did have them when they were popular before - I was terrified of having to have one cut out! But I adored them. My hair was always so limp and blah from being fine, I thought the color would at least be something different.

ratgirldjh
August 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom.jpg[/IMG]

I think you look like Janis Joplin! Very cute really!

Caldonia Sun
August 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Goodness, so many styles I had over the years. I was in 7th grade and wanted the inverted bob that came from the London mod fashion. Then long, straight, parted in the middle, Dorothy Hamil's wedge, Mia Farrow's pixie. I tried hard for Farrah Fawcett's feathers, but my hair would just never cooperate. Went for a bowl cut and kept it for many a year. Then the spiral perm, mullet, a wedge with shaved back, spiked pixie, bob of every length. But it was all fun.

angelfell
August 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
I've noticed now that blonde highlights in brown hair seem to be out.. had to have them in middle school :(. Wish I would have just saved my poor hair the damage if I'd known it'd go out of style.. but didn't think about that then :p.

And I don't just mean chunks, I mean the almost-blonde-in-the-brunette:

http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/20/98638e24d5a540c69fb0842036e6c156/l.jpg

Cassie 123
August 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've noticed now that blonde highlights in brown hair seem to be out.. [snip]
And I don't just mean chunks, I mean the almost-blonde-in-the-brunette

This is still very much the basic mom style around here. I guess it's just like back in the early eighties, when all the moms held on to the frosted look for years and years. It actually looks pretty cute on you!

Sunshineliz
August 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
uh! I had the mullet AND the poodle perm at once! Talk about awful. And the perm destroyed my hair. It took a long time to grow out with lots of deep treatments. And I didn't realize it was a 'mullet' until recently because I only equated that with the REALLY short and spiky fronts like the boys did, not the longer sides, but not nearly as long as the back, that the women were doing.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think you look like Janis Joplin! Very cute really!

Funny you should mention that. I had an acquaintance years ago who told me that he used to hang out with Janis in New Orleans. He said "you're so much like her!" Except I don't like to get drunk. He even called me "Janis" by accident a few times.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
P.S. - I'm disappointed that there aren't more pictures! Thanks for yours, Angelfell. It looked good on you.

clarinette
August 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ohhhh just remembered one.....it was popular when i was in junior high, so end 80's beginning 90's (before the word grunge was even invented though) , it was a sort of .....like....they used to put their bangs or front side of their hair (sorry bad english) in a flat barette, making it puff to the front.....after a while they learned about back-combing and hairspray, but in the beginning the puffy part was sleek and low, then it slowly increased in height and crunchiness as the months went by....that was truly horrendous.

Mutinous
August 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
When I was around 8 or 9 (1997-8) there was this trend for girls (mostly) to bleach the very front of their hair, by their foreheads. The bleach was only about half an inch, so it was like two stripes down the hair. I remember asking a girl at the time why she did it to her hair, and she replied with a 'none of your beeswax!' which is a school saying very much of that time!

And then there was the David Beckham curtain cut for all the boys of course!

ilovelonghair
August 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
I had a "Rachel" disaster too...

My hairdresser always talked me out of the Rachel, I think that was a good thing!

Ohhhh just remembered one.....it was popular when i was in junior high, so end 80's beginning 90's (before the word grunge was even invented though) , it was a sort of .....like....they used to put their bangs or front side of their hair (sorry bad english) in a flat barette, making it puff to the front.....after a while they learned about back-combing and hairspray, but in the beginning the puffy part was sleek and low, then it slowly increased in height and crunchiness as the months went by....that was truly horrendous.

Here too: flat barette, some sort of side bangs in a vaguely curly way (I had a loose perm) and bleached hair as well. I didn't like to puff it up so I didn't, I found that trashy looking haha, so I saved myself from one mistake

Remember those awful big fabric scrunchies, I had them too... and those things that were a braid with thread wound around them in different colors all the way down? I didn't have those, but I had mini braids in my hair here and there and when I took them out I lost half the hair in the braid.

Some pictures:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8530&pictureid=110889

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8530&pictureid=110890

Horrible hair cut by my first boyfriend, my hair was also much thinner than it is now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8530&pictureid=110891

btw that was my first henna period, much darker than it is now and it ended up going darker, I didn't know about build-up

Cassie 123
August 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Ohhhh just remembered one.....it was popular when i was in junior high, so end 80's beginning 90's (before the word grunge was even invented though) , it was a sort of .....like....they used to put their bangs or front side of their hair (sorry bad english) in a flat barette, making it puff to the front

Of course, like Elaine in the first couple seasons of Seinfeld! How could we forget?

CopperSilver
August 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I had the 1980s 2 inch tall fringe stuck up with an entire can of my mum's elnette hairspray. I wasn't allowed highlights, but I got a perm which aged me about 50 years. The hairdresser said it had to be layered in order for the perm to work, so I ended up with short curls. Not what I wanted to look like when I was 14.
I desperately wanted Julia Roberts hair in Pretty Woman (I still do actually) but I had been to see Always and had cut my hair like Holly Hunter here: http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1607121
Unfortunately I was a student at the time and had no money so I did it to myself and it was very lopsided :))
Then in the mid 90's I had the Dolores O'Riordon (Cranberries) almost shaved head, like everyone else did on the bus to work. We all grew it out together too. Awkwardly.

Navydoc_76
August 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
love this thread!

anyone remember the early 90s when it was popular to shave half of your hair (the back, from the ears down and pony tail it?) that was me! i was active duty at the time, and that was NOT a regulation womans haircut!! lol... oh i was bad lol.. got in alot of trouble for that one...

the only truly outdated hair cut/style that i can think of is the mullet-sadly here in southern ohio its very common-along with the permed hair and the "claw" bangs that are teased up. we are truly stuck in a time warp! haha..

Kitteh
August 24th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I never did have them when they were popular before - I was terrified of having to have one cut out! But I adored them. My hair was always so limp and blah from being fine, I thought the color would at least be something different.

I misunderstood this?! You mean the one where you wrap the whole braid so the hair doesn't show, right? Where I live, the popular thing was to use embroidery floss or thin ribbon in a contrast color to your hair and use it as a third part when braiding, then add decorations when you are done.

I didn't do the one where you had to cut, no way! *shivers*

angelfell
August 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
This is still very much the basic mom style around here. I guess it's just like back in the early eighties, when all the moms held on to the frosted look for years and years. It actually looks pretty cute on you!

Eh, the moms around here are all bleached XD. And thank you.. but all I can see is how fried and dry my hair looked. And rightfully so, as it was :(

mrs_coffee
August 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ah, I wish I could post my senior prom picture (it's in a box in the garage somewhere) from 1988. My hair was huge. When we were in high school Brent had a mullet and the back was permed. I was married to my curling iron and my bottle of Aqua Net.

ratgirldjh
August 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Funny you should mention that. I had an acquaintance years ago who told me that he used to hang out with Janis in New Orleans. He said "you're so much like her!" Except I don't like to get drunk. He even called me "Janis" by accident a few times.

Wow! That is cool!

wvgemini
August 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ohh ... let's see here :)

I had a perm. Two of them, in fact! And I can't forget the massive curled and sprayed bangs. I would curl the top half back (toward the back of my head), the bottom half curled down, and FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF!!!

I think my crimping iron is still at my parents' house. Stuffed in the deep, dark recesses of some drawer somewhere.

I totally remember the little thread-wrapped hair bit! I had those too :D There was a little girl at the hairdressers last week with one. Maybe they're making a comeback with all the feathers and multicolor stripes and whatnot :p

ratgirldjh
August 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM
lol
I remember when the wedge first came out and I had long straight mid back hair. I talked my grandmother into taking me to the 'Beauty Shop' to get my hair cut into a wedge.

Well the shop she took me didn't know what a wedge was; they specialized in teased, curled, hair sprayed hair with lots of pins in it so it would stay like that for a couple of weeks and then you would go back and they would dismantle it and do it again... you know the wash hair put setting lotion in and curlers, under the dryer you go, come out and be teased to death, and then they would wind the hair around and pin it over the teased part so you had a giant puffy head!!! and it took hours!!!

Needless to say they just chopped my hair off to my shoulders and curled it and teased it and I ended up running out of there crying and no one understood why!

I wasn't sure enough of myself yet to stop them during the process and since I had really never had my hair cut before I didn't know what should be happening - so it wasn't until they showed me my hair that I knew what they did since I had just been trusting them up to that point and not really watching!!!

When I went home I just got the whole thing wet! Hairspray and all! OMG it was a nightmare!!! Hair pins everywhere!!! teased, lacquered hair!!! Finally I got it all out and looked at my hair and it was LOPSIDED!!!

I ran to my grandmother and showed her and she took me to a beauty school where they knew what a wedge was and gave me a perfect haircut for like 1/10th of the money she had spent on my hair disaster... I never even asked why we hadn't gone there in the first place...

lol

Rebecca.1905
August 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
It's probably not good that this thread has made me want to go do a hair wrap.

I'm wondering tho if I can figure out a way to do it that wouldn't need to be cut out, since the only ones I've ever done can't be unwound. Hm... must think about this.

Elysium
August 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ugh when I was about 7 or 8 my mum's friend, who was a hairdresser, cut my incredibly thick wavy hair into a layered bob with a huge blunt fringe. Needless to say, it fluffed up and I looked like a poodle.
I don't remember seeing any really unusual trends though, maybe I'm too young or they didn't quite reach Ireland :p
Who knows, maybe in a few years time, people will be looking back at the over-processed, over-straightened styles of today and think "Why? What were we thinking?" :D

okiesarah
August 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have a picture from high school in my album. I had the spiral perm (loved those! but took forever to do with my long hair) and the poofy bangs. I dried my bangs over my enormous barrel brush every day. But in my defense, I didn't do it to be trendy, I did it because I have SUPER oily skin and if I hadn't dried them poofed out like that it would've been an oil slick in no time flat laying against my forehead. Had those bangs until 2006ish when my friend visited me and said "Hey, the 90's called, they want their bangs back." :rolleyes: So I finally decided to grow them out.

Also did the embroidery floss hair wrap myself in middle school. :D

foogrrl
August 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I misunderstood this?! You mean the one where you wrap the whole braid so the hair doesn't show, right? Where I live, the popular thing was to use embroidery floss or thin ribbon in a contrast color to your hair and use it as a third part when braiding, then add decorations when you are done.

I didn't do the one where you had to cut, no way! *shivers*

Yes, the ones I was thinking of were wrapped entirely around a small accent braid.

I remember my mother using ribbon as a add-in for one of my braid strands when I was younger, or three different colors, one for each strand. Never decorated it afterwards.

Oh! And something else! What was the period where hair had to be stuffed full of babys breath? Or was that just my mother and formal dances?

xoerincolleen
August 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
When I was 12 I did everything in my power to look exactly like Hilary Duff: http://forladiesbyladies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/41t8qb3n76l__sl500_aa240_.jpg Especially the bangs. They looked awful on me. And I LOVED to crimp my hair and wear a bandana headband. Great look. :p

When I was a freshman and sophomore in high school (which wasn't very long ago!) it was very trendy to have really straight hair, then put it in a high side pony with a ribbon. And big fake pearls to look as preppy as possible. I think that had more to do with my area, though (preppy town).

Also, the hair wraps were really popular when I was younger, at the beach and such, but I always remembered them getting loose and just pulling them out after a few weeks.

teal
August 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Ohhh man this thread has me giggling, and squirming over some memories too. :lol:

Let's see. I missed the perms, probably due more to family finances than anything else - no money for expensive hair treatments. I had long hair and I hated my bangs, so about the time everyone else in my class was doing the wispy bang thing, I was doing The Wave, with the requisite shellacking in hairspray. Some people did the wave with the wispy bangs.

I also did the undercut but not the way the girls were doing it.. that was too wimpy and looked stupid in my opinion. I had mine cut the way the boys had it, so that I only had the top of the head of hair with everything else shaved. It was nice for summer, I'll give it that. And I got to avoid the neck wispies. But paired with my baggy attire it didn't do much for my femininity. My brother had the steps shaved above his ears.

I had the embroidery-thread thing, too, but I did that myself. I don't remember how I got it (them?) out.

I dyed my hair both with boxed stuff and with henna - not that I knew (then OR now!!) how to use it. The crazy colors didn't come until college. They were fun and I look back on them with fond memories. Somewhere around here I have an old driver's license where the pic shows me with light blue-purple hair about two inches long, sticking up everywhere and obviously not brushed, and I'm smirking. Best license pic I've ever had.

I had The Rachel, and it actually looked pretty good on me. I had variations of that cut for a while. I rarely watched the show, though. We didn't have cable for the longest time, and while we did get it after my stepdad moved in, by then I was busy with other stuff and never got into it. We don't have cable now, lol.

Medusa
August 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM

I'd forgotten all about this! My hair was too thick to stay in the barrette and I was always sad I couldn't do this to my hair.

I also had perms and sky-high bangs (my brother called them firework bangs). Anyone else remember liberally spraying the hair next to your scalp, right above your ears and then aiming the hair dryer at the sprayed area so an inch or two of hair would stick straight out and the rest would just hang there? This was in the late 80's/early 90's.

In the 90's I fully indulged in the little butterfly clippie craze - when you'd take a small section of hair, pull/twist it back from your face, and secure it with a butterfly clip. A small part of me still wishes that was in style because it was so easy to do and because of my hair texture, the clips would easily stay in place. And it was cute.

Giggy2
August 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The head bands! '1984 I loved them!! :cool: They were thin braided elastic with some shiny thread intertwined. That was a fast trend, in and out! I also cut the top of my hair off left about 1 inch on top, bleached it on top and black on the bottom. Debra Harry was my inspiration on that one.

'84-88 Everytime I'd get a hair cut I would hold out my tail (behind my left ear) so it didn't get trimmed. It usually stayed braided "cause it was cool" :rolleyes: Perm and rat the heck out of our hair. The bigger the better!

Back in ~'80 we'd braid barretts with ribbons and leave them long, then tie beads at the ends.

Middleschool thru highschool we'd wear "clips" with the feathers hanging from them. Hahah Usually you could win them at a local fair.

Love the picture of Nikki Sixx! What a fox/babe!! (LOL) Ahhh, the good ole days! ;) How about the album mirrors, we'd get those from local fairs too!

I'll have to see if I can find some old pics.

estelwen
August 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Oh, the 90's bangs! I remember getting a tutorial from a friend. We trimmed them ourselves, down to the bridge of our nose and straight across, then took a smoking curling iron to them, then ran a comb carefully through and hairsprayed until if a bit of wind came along they'd flop up in a clump. I couldn't see the top of my head over the bangs from the front. Oh man. Never again.

mallorykay13
August 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Oh crimpers. They dont even retail them large-scale anymore.

boomtownrat
August 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Funny, I never recall a mullet being called a mullet until after it was no longer in style. The word mullet and the name Billy Ray Cyrus are inseparable in my head. I do believe I sported a feminine version of one in the early 90's.

I don't remember what it was called in the '80s, but I know I never heard it called a mullet until the '90s.

As for undercuts, I had one in 1990-91 or thereabouts and then again several years ago, on longer hair. The first time it wasn't completely shaved underneath, but it was when I did it more recently. I didn't care if it was out of fashion when I did it a few years ago. I was going through some things and wanted a huge change, heh. Luckily my hair is so voluminous that no one could tell I had half the back of my head shaved bald if I was wearing it down.

Cassie 123
August 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Middleschool thru highschool we'd wear "clips" with the feathers hanging from them. Hahah Usually you could win them at a local fair.

I wanted one of these so badly! And not any of these comparatively subtle 2011 feathers. No, these were big fat feathers dyed in bright primary colors! But I was just a little kid; I had no idea where to get them... Alas, just as well.

PinkyCat
August 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM
PinkyKitten!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=110993

Ahhhhhh it's not working!!

PinkyCat
August 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ok here's a link...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=110993

Cassie 123
August 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
:rollin: PinkyCat, you are perfect down to the last detail!

Dorothy
August 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I love this thread. And your hair, spidermom. And your willingness to sit soggy headed for two days with a wig on for the sake of beauty.

I had long straight hair until 4th grade in the 70's, when I got a rat from not brushing it and hoods. Evil winter hoods. So I had to get it cut and start trying to look like Farrah Fawcet, as the other girls were. I'd get up at 5 in the morning to curl, hot roller, and spray, stand at the bus stop for 5 minutes, and end up with the stick straight hair I have today. Did that all through gradeschool and junior high, aided and abetted by perms given by my hair incompetent mom with her still virgin hair. These resulted in poodle bangs and stick straight long hair. NOT a good look - although not an uncommon one, there were many straight haired girls trying to bounce and behave.

In High School I wore the microbraid, sometimes 3 in a row, with all black clothing. Before the word Goth, they called us WOBS - wearers of black. Friends were spiking their hair, putting superglue in their mohawks, and the gay dudes had long bangs dyed pink or purple. In Junior year I got the bangs and long hair I have now, and radically accepted having straight hair. I graduated high school in 1987. I've only tried to curl it again recently with sock bun curls.

In college we had Cellophanes - someone mentioned those - to give your hair a temporary glow, I chose red, then after Cellophanes were Shades. I wish I'd known about Henna then, it was exactly what I wanted.

I wish I could say it was all fun. The poodle bangs were horrible, I started having fun in high school with the microbraids - I stuck the ends together with elmer's glue (water soluble) so there would be no bulky hairtie and they would be Pointed... And I wore a razor blade earring...I carefully covered the blade with scotch tape, and listened to my Simon and Garfunkle. I think I epitomized the word "poseur".... But I had fun.

McFearless
August 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I thought the Afro was so beautiful, so I'd roll my hair on teeny-tiny sponge rollers, pop an afro wig over the top

Gorgeous! Ah I love it. The afro looks so amazing on you.

Sunshineliz
August 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ok here's a link...

:scared: AAH! The middle-school flashbacks.:laugh:

AnqeIicDemise
August 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Woody Wood Pecker bangs. D:

That stuff was terrible.. and that's all mom would ever give me!

AnqeIicDemise
August 24th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Oh.. and BANANA clips.. my hair always tangled with that thing in and I'd have to tear it out. -goes away to ponder some more-

ravenreed
August 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I think that hit Southern California in the late 80's. I loved them. We did embroidery floss but I don't recall that we used any beads or charms. We'd let them grow until we got tired of them and then cut them out because the hair had dreaded at the top at that point. I loved having different colored stripes running down the braid. When I wore them we didn't go to stands. We just did them on each other.

teal
August 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Oh.. and BANANA clips.. my hair always tangled with that thing in and I'd have to tear it out. -goes away to ponder some more-

Oh Em Gee, I had a ton of those! And the side ponytails... the side ponytails... scrunchies galore.

mrs_coffee
August 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Back in ~'80 we'd braid barretts with ribbons and leave them long, then tie beads at the ends.

My friend and I used to make these and sell them at school when we were in 5th and 6th grade. We made tons of different colors and spent so many days after school braiding and beading. It was a lot of fun.

Drynwhyl
August 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I do wonder, in about 20 years, what will people think about hairstyles that are now considered "normal" or trendy :D

gthlvrmx
August 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Oh no, trends are not for me, micle cannot handle the mess. I just like being me and having my hair long and there. Not cute styles for me.

But it's so much fun to look at old styles and how people looked like back in the older days.

Arya
August 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Speaking of outdated styles...I just came up with the most cool/bizarre hairstyle!!

I saw this beautiful girl, who french braided her hair from the nape all the way up to her hairline, and then let the ends pouf out into this cute, rockin 'do!

I thought I would try it...I figured if I rolled it into a pincurl at the front, it might look cool.

Well, I tried it, and it ended up looking like a bizarre mary antoinette style towering hair cake. Maybe it would work on Gwen Stefani, but certainly not me!!

leslissocool
August 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I actually did the whole 80's rock scene when I was a freshman in HS back in Italy, mixed with the grunge (I hanged out with identical twin girls who were ALL into the grunge look and Nirvana). I went to an art school, so you can imagine how fashion oriented it was (ANY fashion, I ha fun dressing up in different styles I was like a Chameleon!).

You know what's funny? I had a friend who wore a cape and fangs like 8-10 years ago all through her school years and did the whole Vampire thing (she read the Southern vampire mysteries books too) way before it got popular. I remember going to parties with her and her group wearing fangs and dressing in just all leather industrial style clothing with the crazy hair. I see it all pop up now and I feel like it's outdated, mostly because of this friend and her group who did that year round. They were really fun to be around.

Kitteh
August 28th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Yes, the ones I was thinking of were wrapped entirely around a small accent braid.

I remember my mother using ribbon as a add-in for one of my braid strands when I was younger, or three different colors, one for each strand. Never decorated it afterwards.

Oh! And something else! What was the period where hair had to be stuffed full of babys breath? Or was that just my mother and formal dances?

LOL! I am from Eastern Europe and no, we had no such thing here! Like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/maedchenstyle/2933806498/)?

AnqeIicDemise
August 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I found a picture of the horrible bangs! http://photos1.blogger.com/img/56/5142/1024/hair.jpg?force=1

I didn't know they were called 'mall bangs'... I called them "The Woody Wood Pecker."

Mind you, this is not me. I am not a pretty blonde. :P

ETA: I would love to post pictures of my terrible 90s hair, but I can't. Mom has a habit of not developing film. She has two big trash bags of film she has yet to develop.

TrudieCat
August 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Ok here's a link...

Omg, this is priceless! :laugh:

I had a few school pictures taken with that background, myself. :D

Juanita
August 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Majic Silver White and Rose and bleach to dye the top layer of my hair purple/pink in the mid eighties. A spiral perm in the 90's Had hip to yailbone hair in those days. I remember those embriodery floss hair wraps. Had one then. Actually have one at the moment I got at a market last year.It's grown out about 6inches or so. Started dying to cover grey but hair started to break off and get shorter so 5 years ago in November I decided to grow out the dye and hopefully I would start gaining length again,It's slowly growing YaY.

julierockhead
September 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM

ROFLMAO!:misskim:Please, please take a pic and post!

I was in H.S. in the 80's and rocked the Sun-In orange hair, the mall bangs (curled up and down) sprayed rock-hard, and the fuzzy perm. All that, along with the 80's power makeup,acid washed jeans and the neon colors - I was a real fashion statement! :trainwreck:

I wish I had a photo!

SusanSt
September 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM
How about a tight "flip" for shoulder length hair? Or teasing a "poufie" area on top of the head before making a ponytail? (I may be dating myself here...that was in the late-60s and early 70s!)

SarahKayfa
September 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
All the cool girls in my middle school had permed, poofy, hair pulled back into a tight, tight ponytail. And it was slicked back with gel, so it had this mirror shine. And that was all topped off with those wispy bangs that you had to make with a round brush and a blow dryer. And if you were really cool, you wore a ribbon.

Also, the half-up, with wispy bangs was really the thing to do.

NotInPortland
September 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Ones I can remember (90s kid here)-putting those little claw clips all over my hair, kind of like these ones:

http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/2/153i1/claw-clip-item-934.jpg

-We also did the thing with the colourful string wrapped around a piece of hair.

-Crimped hair.

-Braiding your entire head of hair in very small braids and leaving them that way (or taking them out for the crimped effect :p)

Dividing your hair into small sections and tying them with bobbins kind of like this:

http://www.google.ie/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/e/ellie-parker-2005--300-75.jpg&sa=X&ei=xn9iTuzNLY2aOp717ZYK&ved=0CAYQ8wc4Hw&usg=AFQjCNFdMEWMH75ATi3atFxlUlMXfixMDA

And the haircut of the guy in the middle of this pic always reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s with the middle part and the hair flopping down each side:

http://www.google.ie/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://pics.livejournal.com/icecapades/pic/00290be8/s320x240&sa=X&ei=f4BiTpnjOYLsOeDh5YIK&ved=0CAcQ8wc4rwE&usg=AFQjCNH9P-buDw70Bse9LpC5LQu_NpWpOw

foogrrl
September 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
LOL! I am from Eastern Europe and no, we had no such thing here! Like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/maedchenstyle/2933806498/)?

Yes! That's it exactly!

battles
September 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
This thread makes me want an undercut. :p

PurusNox
September 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Not me, but looking back at pics of my Dad I saw a rather awesome one of him with shoulder length dreads, and this must have been in the 80s. I was quite surprised!

MandyBeth
September 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
I rocked a pretty major undercut from 3ish to 22. And I dyed it, 9ish when I started with odd colors, 14 when I started with black, 16 when I went to permanent black dye.

WinterButterfly
September 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I remember the butterfly clips! I loved those things... I kinnd of miss them. I also remember when I was in the 7th grade up to 9th, shoulder length hair that was flipped out was very popular. I didn't like it though. Also, the super blond highlights were in. I started dying my hair black in the 9th grade. I had dyed it a lighter shade of blond since the7th grade only because my mom said blond or nothing. I knew that I would eventually get to dye it black if I started dying it.

Sunshineliz
September 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Once when I was about 12 or 13 my big sister got out the curling iron and hairspray and did a "mall-style" bang on me--not as bad as a lot that I had seen but it was still a shock to me. She said "Now you look like the other girls!" and I burst into tears and said I wanted to look like ME! I got into the wispy bangs before they were in style.:D

KiwiBum
September 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
I destroyed my hair in high school. I started dying it burgundy in 9th grade,and the more I dyed it the more intense I wanted it to be. So I started bleaching it and dying EXCESSIV

MandyBeth
September 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
If you want to see over process mall bangs and volume - watch the TLC show on the breeders. All the females on that show have that nasty hair.

KiwiBum
September 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I destroyed my hair in high school. My hair is naturally medium/dark brown, and I dyed it an intense burgundy in 9th grade (think the main character from that old Mtv show 'My So Called Life'), and just went downhill from there. I started bleaching it and dying it extreme Manic
Panic shades (a couple different red shades, pink, purple, orange, as well as mixing colors). I dated a guy with dreads at one point which inspired me to get some of my own, and did my hair in all braids on many occasions. I shaved the back of my head in the middle of all this but it was a couple years too late to be considered trendy. I usually sported the 'angle cut' (where the back is shorter than the front) and varied from chin-length to shoulder-length. I did these things every year until my senior year, when I dyed my hair jet black and started leaving it alone. And who would've thought that many years later I would turn to all natural haircare! :p

Oh, and I saw where someone mentioned that late 90's look where girls would bleach the front strips of their hair. That was HUGE when I was in about 10th grade.

Columbia River
September 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
On shoulder length bleached hair...aqua net Spray...curl with iron, count to 26...spray again. Rat tail comb, rat rat rat...the more damage the better. Sigh. Yuck.