PDA

View Full Version : S&D questions

Periwinkle
June 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
So I just gave S&Ding a go for the first time, and I've got a few questions. Anyone care to help me out?

Does S&Ding actually make a substantial difference to your hair's condition? There's a lot of ends out there...
When you S&D, do you normally do your whole head, or just a bit of it? I spent 20 minutes doing it, and I only did a tiny amount.
I used good quality sewing scissors. Are they okay to use?
How far above the split should you cut? Just above? Further?
What's the general technique for doing it? I tried both holding up chunks in front of me and looking closely and also wrapping hair over one finger and slowly pulling it down, looking at each end as it came out. Which is better, or is there something else?
How often should you do it? For how long?
Is it better to do the ends right at the end of my hair, or the ends of my layers?
Is there anything else I should know?

Dientje
June 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge:

1. Yes it does. At least when the damage is not too severe, it can help improve your hair. There are indeed a lot of ends out there, but hair (at least my hair) tends to develop splits only in specific areas.
2. No, just the areas that are prone to getting splits, like the nape of my head and sometimes my face-framing layers.
3. I think that is fine, the scissors should just be sharp, so it's better to use them for nothing else but S&D.
4. I cut only one or two milimeters above the split.
5. I like it best to hold up small strands of hair and check that. Just pick a piece of hair, and pull free a couple of hairs from that to check, and if there are no (more) splits, drop it.
6. No idea, unitl you're satisfied with the result?? (Or fed up :))
7. I don't know what's best, but I just did the ends of my hair. The ends of my layers were not really damaged, the few times I checkede them.
8. Can't think of anything.

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
1. Does S&Ding actually make a substantial difference to your hair's condition? There's a lot of ends out there...

I don't know if it makes such a big difference in the overall condition of my hair, I see it as not needing a trim and just cutting what is actually split.

2. When you S&D, do you normally do your whole head, or just a bit of it? I spent 20 minutes doing it, and I only did a tiny amount.

I never timed it, I do it while watching a movie etc, so to me I am sitting there anyway. I do not schedule a time to just S&D. I find S&D better then playing with my hair and not S&D.

3. I used good quality sewing scissors. Are they okay to use?

I have no idea.

I bought scissors just for cutting my hair. I do not have good quality sewing scissors.

4. How far above the split should you cut? Just above? Further?

I cut just above the split.

5. What's the general technique for doing it? I tried both holding up chunks in front of me and looking closely and also wrapping hair over one finger and slowly pulling it down, looking at each end as it came out. Which is better, or is there something else?

I find the easiest way to do S&D is by taking a thin layer of hair in my fingers and looking for splits or hair that looks lighter (that is a split in the middle of the hair shaft). Or at least that is what it looks like for me. I find bright light or sun light is better. Yes I still watch/listen TV while doing it.

When I was younger I was taught to roll/twist some hair and cut the splits that I saw.

6. How often should you do it? For how long?

I do it when I notice split ends. Or many of them. I do it as long as I do not get tired. This is supposed to be cathartic not stressful, at least for me.

7. Is it better to do the ends right at the end of my hair, or the ends of my layers?

I cut the splits ends, where I see them, no matter where they are.

8. Is there anything else I should know?

I never really thought of S&D rules etc, so I am also interested in other responses.

spidermom
June 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think S&D benefits me at all. As a matter of fact, the more I try to S&D my damage away, the more I hate my hair. The two biggest trims that I've had since deciding to grow my hair out were done because I kept S&Ding, and my ends got thinner and thinner, but I kept finding more and more splits. There was no end to them. Now I try not to look.

Nat242
June 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM
You've got some good answers here already, so I won't answer all of your questions. On technique, I find that a great way to spot splits is to wait until a couple of braids get "fuzzy". I can inspect hairs that stick up around the length, and then go through the tassel.

HTH!

-- Natalie

Curlsgirl
June 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM
You've got some good answers here already, so I won't answer all of your questions. On technique, I find that a great way to spot splits is to wait until a couple of braids get "fuzzy". I can inspect hairs that stick up around the length, and then go through the tassel.

HTH!

-- Natalie Just because they stick up how can you tell they are split? Couldn't they just be shorter hairs?

Shorty89
June 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I think what Nat means is that it's easier to see them because your ends are sticking out. Plus, on me, splits are usually a different length than the majority of my hair. A braid with fuzzies causes all those short hairs to stick out. I find it easier to spot splits that way.

spidermom
June 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Just because they stick up how can you tell they are split? Couldn't they just be shorter hairs?

I get fuzzy braids, and it's pretty easy for me to see if any of the ends that stick out are split. For one thing, they're usually a bit lighter in color than an unsplit hair.

Nat242
June 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Just because they stick up how can you tell they are split? Couldn't they just be shorter hairs?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. It's easier to inspect the hair and find splits in fuzzy braids - not only do they stand out but I find that when hair is loose it can be easy to 'lose' splits.

Shorty and Spidermom understood, thanks for explaining for me! :flowers:

-- Natalie

julya
June 29th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I don't do S&D very often, every few months at most, but I do find it helps with tangles. Or to be totally honest, I'm not totally sure it helps, but I do it sometimes anyway. I will pull out the scissors when I'm detangling to cut out fairy knots (tight knots in a single strand that are impossible to remove) fairly often. As far as how long to spend, 20 minutes is more time than I can stand looking for splits. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes is more reasonable to me. I'll do a session every day or two until I feel satisfied, then not again for months.

I find being in a very bright light is helpful, and I use special S&D scissors. I just sort of look in big handfuls of hair until I find a split, then trim right above it. Try not to be too obsessed with it, there will always be more splits.

Siowiel
June 29th, 2008, 12:56 AM
For me, it does. Very noticeable difference.
A bit. I do not have that much time and get a stiff neck.
I use scissors for hair, but I guess, if they are sharp, they should do.
Tiny splits: Just above, I cut higher the greater the split is.
Holding up chunks.
Whenever I hva time, usually in front of the PC when I am in chat or so. I do not put aside extra time.
I do both, end of layers and of hair, but more carefully layers because I have more split ends there.
Don't think so ;)