PDA

View Full Version : Dry Scalp

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ok for several months my scalp have been driving me mad, it have been itching, hurting, I have tor redo buns and braids all the time as my scalp starts to hurt at at time my get scores in my scalp, it do not seam like I have lost any hair, and believe me I have been measuring. I see it as having lost a few mm in bun size from 11 cm to 10,7 or 10,8 but when my mother measure it she still get 11 so I suspect this is just my fear.

However we have found out what is wrong, my scalp is to dry, it is very dry. Do anyone have any recommendations for a dry scalp and how to get some moisture into it? Is there any products I can try?

Cainwen
August 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM
I have the same problem, a very dry scalp. I've started putting a very little bit of sweet almond oil on my scalp (but I'm told any light oil will work). I put a little on when my hair is damp, and a little more if its itchy at night. Just get a little bit on your fingertips and gently massage in. For me, a little bit at the beginning of the week does wonders until the next time I wash.

sarahramen
August 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yes, the oiling and massaging helped me immensely, as well as stretching washes and the CO method of washing hair. hope this helps a bit.

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you for the advice. I will have to try that.

Ithonna
August 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have that problem. I use conditioner from scalp to tip and massage a lightweight oil onto my scalp when my hair is wet. It really helps. I am on day 7 after my last wash and I am just now getting noticeable flakes.

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
I do not so much get flakes, I get a little, as I get scores. But I will try the lightweight oil tip. So almond oil then? Or is another oil better.

Also I have not dared to dye my hair and my rotes is getting rather blond, how soon after getting this problem under control is it safe to dye my hair?

RitaPG
August 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Knowing what your current routine is like would help. I had the same issue before joining LHC, my scalp was always dry and flakey and itchy... You know. One thing that helped me was oiling my scalp before washing, and leaving that on for a couple of hours to overnight. Sometimes when I didn't have the time, I just mixed a bit of oil on my shampoo (half oil, half shampoo) my scalp never look greasy and my hair was really shiny :)
Recently I've been CO washing, and it made the world of a difference for my scalp and hair health. If all else fails, maybe you could try that.
Good luck:flower:

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
I was my hair every five days to every week depending on how much I have been sweating. I use shampoo and conditioner and hair cure from Define at every wash. I finish up washes with a cold rinse. Once the hair is starting to dry I carefully detangle it and let it air dry. Once completely dry I use biosilk to keep it from tangling.

I keep my hair in a braid or a bun during the day and a braid during the night. I brush it out once a day. I try to give myself a scalp rub once a day. I also, since I am a Pagan try to get a ritual I have for hair growth and health done every day.

Once every two months I trim my bangs and have my hair dyed black with store bough black dye, I have been doing this for years and never had a problem with it and my scalp is not dryer right after dying. I do however hold back on dying it in bad period when my scalp is very dry.

Once a year, right before Christmas I have my hair trimmed to prevent split ends.

And that is pretty much it for my hair care routine. I am not sure what CO washing is.

RitaPG
August 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
"CO washing" is also called "Conditioner Only Washing", and it's when people use conditioner to wash their hair and scalp. It works because conditioner has cleansing ingredients, but it's not as harsh as shampoo, it works very well for people that have dry and sensitive skin.
Here is an article that explains it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18
There's also a thread about it, if you have any questions http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898&page=403

Hope that helps :)

AnnaJamila
August 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
I massage my scalp with rose water every day or so, it smells INCREDIBLE and it would moisten your scalp nicely.

Now, something that is a little more far fetched but works really well and will also help make your hair thicker, take a litre/quart of warm milk and a spoonful of sour cream, mix it together and set it in a warm place and let the magic happen. Basically you'll get whey. This is really good for softening the hair and moistening the scalp. Just rub into your hair and scalp for a while (kind of like an oil treatment), wrap up your head then let it all get hot and wash it out. You might even be able to find kefir in a store if you live in a big enough town.

Cassie 123
August 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Do you eat fish oil supplements that are high in Omega-3's? This improved the condition of my skin quite a lot. I think they must be very common where you live; much of the best-quality fish oil here in the US proudly advertises that it comes from Norway.

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
"CO washing" is also called "Conditioner Only Washing", and it's when people use conditioner to wash their hair and scalp. It works because conditioner has cleansing ingredients, but it's not as harsh as shampoo, it works very well for people that have dry and sensitive skin.
Here is an article that explains it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=18 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)
There's also a thread about it, if you have any questions http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=2898&page=403 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898&page=403)

Ah thank you for the information. I have tried that, but it did not work for me, I got up out of the bath and when my hair was dry it was as dirty as before. I have also tried to go down from two rounds with shampoo to one and my hair is then to still dirty, my hair needs a good two rounds of shampooing to get clean, it is stubborn. :)

Now, something that is a little more far fetched but works really well and will also help make your hair thicker, take a litre/quart of warm milk and a spoonful of sour cream, mix it together and set it in a warm place and let the magic happen. Basically you'll get whey. This is really good for softening the hair and moistening the scalp. Just rub into your hair and scalp for a while (kind of like an oil treatment), wrap up your head then let it all get hot and wash it out. You might even be able to find kefir in a store if you live in a big enough town.

Kefir is not difficult to get here in Norway it is a common ingredient in allot of traditional Norwegian food. If I use kefir do I need to let that sit for a while before it can be used to? Oh and thank you for the advice, very kind of you.

Do you eat fish oil supplements that are high in Omega-3's? This improved the condition of my skin quite a lot. I think they must be very common where you live; much of the best-quality fish oil here in the US proudly advertises that it comes from Norway.

Norway have great fish, unfortunately I do not eat enough of it. I have been trying to get more fish into my diet as I really should. Thank you for the advice.

AnnaJamila
August 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
No problem! I just use it the day after I make it, but sometimes I use just the watery stuff from it on my scalp then rinse with plain water. To get it to seperate you might have to let it sit.

InTheCity
August 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't have a good answer but rather a follow-up question. Would you call it a dry scalp when scratching fills your nails with scalp gunk? I'm assuming it's flakes of skin that smash together into tiny little gunk-balls, for lack of a better description.

taimatsuko
August 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
I too am on the dry scalp wagon. There are a lot of great suggestions already. Oiling my scalp before washing has helped me a lot. Also I like ACV rinse instead of shampoo. Maybe incorperating this now and then will soothe the scalp? Other than that I would say, Drink lots of water and eat your green leafy vegetables!