PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to straighten as long as I use chi silk infusion

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't this make it significantly less bad fir my hair?

Regan
August 21st, 2011, 10:53 AM
using a silicone protectant and keeping your straighter on low heat will minimize damage.

LoversLullaby
August 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
It might help to straighten on a lowest heat setting. Also the silk infusion MIGHT help, but to be honest, straightening is going to damage your hair anyway, even if you do both of those. If you're prepared to deal with the damage and baby your hair in other ways, go for it.
If you want to straighten your hair in other ways, try hair wrapping, or blow drying on the cool setting with a round brush. Or you could wrap your hair in super large magnetic rollers and sit under a bonnet dryer on the lowest setting.
HTH!

Jcv-Shelley
August 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, it minimizes damage. But if you use a flat iron daily it won't be much help. So as long as you straighten once in a blue moon and deep condition afterwards, my guess is that it won't be as bad. Short hair can handle a bit more than long hair since it's not as old and it can be snipped of once a month, although their won't be much growth. When my hair was short I used a flat iron when I'd get right-angle cowlicks, I stopped straightening when my hair got longer. And make sure you don't have oils in your hair when you use heat tools.

mallorykay13
August 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
I would say no, simply because if you get bubbles or the cuticle starts to be damaged it cannot be reversed. Chi Silk infusion gives the illusion of shiny hair but it is not marketed as a heat protectant or a leave-in conditioner. It is a shine product. Think of it like an oil that makes your hair glossy instead

spidermom
August 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
First off, I love that product! It helps me with tangles so much.

Second - yes, it will help. To minimize damage, definitely use a silicone product to help the iron slide down the section of hair without hanging up anywhere. Only pass the iron down each section of hair ONCE. And keep the iron moving; don't do a static press.

Kathie
August 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
It makes your hair slippery so it helps prevent cuticles from getting stuck to the iron and getting ripped of the hair shaft. It doesn't stop the cortex from heating to a point that it explodes out of the hair shaft leaving a break point though. Keep an eye on things- look out for damage along the hair shaft.

spidermom
August 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM
It does take a little time for the moisture inside the hair to reach boiling; it doesn't happen instantly. That's why you have to keep that flat-iron moving, and fairly rapidly, too.

angelfell
August 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
I love Chi products, because they make my hair feel great. However, no heat protectant or product will completely protect your hair. It will minimize damage, however. If you use the straightener daily, it may or may not help much, depending on how resilient your hair is. Even worse, if your hair is like mine, the damage may not start to show until it gets longer.. and then, you have like 6" which need chopped off because they're dry and damaged :(. Of course, you may be lucky and I'll just be jealous of you :p.

UltraBella
August 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't this make it significantly less bad fir my hair?

I would be of great help if you filled out the section where it gives your hair type and texture, different types and textures of hair can handle different things.

celebriangel
August 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Okay? Well, it's your life, so I won't pass judgement okay *for your hair*? Er, no. Even with the heat protectant, there will be damage.

For some people, depending on hair type, this means they can't straighten, ever, because it causes so much damage. Some people straighten very occasionally and see little damage, and there exist a happy few whose hair is tough enough that it can withstand frequeny straightening.

In all probability, your hair belongs ti one of the first two categories.

caiti42
August 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Another Chi lover piping in:)

I straighten or curl with my ghd about once a fortnight and always use chi silk infusion before hand. My hair is in great condition.

However.. If I was to use my ghd everyday even with Chi my hair would get damaged very quickly and pretty soon I'd be cutting the last few inches off!

Make sure you use a lot of deep treatments as well.

jojo
August 22nd, 2011, 06:39 AM
I love this product too but heat is heat and unless you have hair strands like fishing line, eventually you will damage your hair.