PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it! I got feather extensions in my hair.

ericthegreat
August 21st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Hey guys! I finally decided to join this summer's latest hair fashion trend and get bird feathers placed into my hair. I've been seeing these feather extensions on young women all over Manhattan for weeks now and so finally yesterday I went to the salon to get them for myself.

I chose a very striking bundle of feathers, one really long red-orange feather surrounded by three other feathers which are mixed streaks of grey and black. My stylist then threaded all four of the feathers together and then bonded them to a little metal ring, and then she pulled a tiny sliver of my hair thro the hole in the ring and using pliers she clamped down on the ring and tightened it directly onto that sliver of hair. And voila........I have feathers in my hair. :)

Enjoy the pics.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/450/picture6a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/picture6a.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2718/picture8x.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/picture8x.jpg/)

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1180/picture4hq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/picture4hq.jpg/)

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2330/picture7x.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/picture7x.jpg/)

kanaka
August 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM
Gorgeous. they suited u well. and your hair is sooo lovely :D

Siiri
August 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
It looks very cool, and the colours go really well together with your hair colour :)

Ishje
August 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM
that looks cool!

mrs_coffee
August 21st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Love those! The color is beautiful with your hair.

selderon
August 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Ooooh! I like!

Audhumla
August 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Wow your hair looks so cool. I like the feather extensions. Some people just can't wear them though. There's a guy at my uni with feather extensions who has messy short curly hair and he just looks like he's been rolling around in a bird's nest :p

CarpeDM
August 21st, 2011, 06:16 AM
I love feathers!!

Toiréasa
August 21st, 2011, 06:18 AM
Very cool!

heartgoesboom
August 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
That's pretty! That's the type I wanted but can't find one I really want. There's some cute turquoise one in the mall... You make me want to go and get it

MeganE
August 21st, 2011, 06:34 AM
I totally don't get how feathers can be extensions!

How do you wash/brush/style your hair with feathers in it? Wouldn't the feathers get all bedraggled and messy looking after a couple of days? And why wouldn't a clip with feathers on the end be preferable, so you can take it out whenever you like?? What benefits do you get from making it into an extension?

It's nice looking, but knowing that it's all stuck in your hair makes me want to just say Aaaahhh!!! I have never been successful at brushing around something in my hair, the comb/brush always gets stuck in it and I end up pulling something that shouldn't be pulled. :)

TrudieCat
August 21st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Looks great - I love the warm tones in your hair next to the rich warm feather tones. The colors complement each other perfectly. :)

Sundial
August 21st, 2011, 07:40 AM
I like how it looks in your hair! You picked a great color to go with your hair :thumbsup: I bought a couple too but mine are the clip in type

Finoriel
August 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
Looking great! :thumbsup:
I really like the feather trend :) so bright and cheerful.

This is totally giving me ideas :gabigrin: I wonder if my chickens would mind to donate some feathers :laugh: they are molting anyways atm.

Heartwillfollow
August 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
Love the color, looks great !!!

Yame
August 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM

How do you wash/brush/style your hair with feathers in it? Wouldn't the feathers get all bedraggled and messy looking after a couple of days? And why wouldn't a clip with feathers on the end be preferable, so you can take it out whenever you like?? What benefits do you get from making it into an extension?

It's nice looking, but knowing that it's all stuck in your hair makes me want to just say Aaaahhh!!! I have never been successful at brushing around something in my hair, the comb/brush always gets stuck in it and I end up pulling something that shouldn't be pulled. :)

I wonder the same thing. I think the feather hair extensions look pretty but I'm not sure how it works with washing, and especially brushing.

I almost got some feather "extension" clips the other day, but decided against it at the check-out counter because I don't think I could really pull it off. If I were to do it, though, I'd get the clips and not actual extensions, because of the perceived hassles.

Can you explain the benefits of getting that done as extensions as opposed to just getting the clip-ons? I'm curious.

sarahbrownie
August 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
You rock those feathers! I love your hair color, btw. It's so pretty!

Wow your hair looks so cool. I like the feather extensions. Some people just can't wear them though. There's a guy at my uni with feather extensions who has messy short curly hair and he just looks like he's been rolling around in a bird's nest :p

That's what I would do, I would put a massive amount of feathers in so it looked that way. Do it all the way or not at all is my motto, but that's how I ended up with a shaved head sophomore year, lol!

irishlady
August 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Love it Eric! They suit you really well, and your hair looks great as always :)

LisaButz2001
August 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'm curious how long they last too. My sister would love your shirt.

patienceneeded
August 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Love them! Nice color choice, they look great against your hair.

Caldonia Sun
August 21st, 2011, 09:40 AM
I like it.

GRU
August 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Eric, you're always so cool!

(and I want my free hug -- do you make housecalls? :lol:)

battles
August 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Looks great! :)

For those not sure about the extensions - They make feathery earrings too. :p

LoversLullaby
August 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Oh wow, those look AWESOME!!! :D I've been thinking about getting some, but I'm not sure it'll suit me. I might go ahead and do it anyway! :)

redcelticcurls
August 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Those look fabulous! I like the colors that you chose.

AnnaJamila
August 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
I haven't decided yet if I like feather extensions. From what I know about you from the boards it seems like they go really well with your personality! Just don't think they'd quite suit mine! I love the color you picked. :)

boomtownrat
August 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hearing that there's a clip-in kind makes me think of the ones people used to wear in the early '80s. :) I haven't seen the extensions like yours on anybody in person. It probably just means I don't get out enough. :lol: You picked good colours to go with your hair. How long do they last?

UltraBella
August 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM

We do a lot of these at the salon and my daughter currently has five feathers in her hair, three up top and two behind her right ear. You can wash your hair like normal, you can style your hair like normal, including heat styling. The feathers do just fine. She hasn't had any problem detangling or brushing her hair. It's a very small amount of hair crimped in the little silicone ring. And because the ring is coated in silicone it won't damage the hair it is crimped on. My daughter's blend really well with her hair so the effect is subtle and really pretty. She loves them :)

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Good for you Eric, the colours are so eye-catching. :) Incidentally, love the t-shirt! :D

PeacenQuietGal
August 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Eric you chose the feathers perfectly. Good on ya!

ericthegreat
August 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hey guys thank you for all the compliments. I really appreciate all of them. :blossom:

And thank you Ultrabella for better elaborating for everyone else about how to take care of the feather extensions. :flower:

To LisaButz and GRU, as if either of you two even had to ask! Come here the both of yous! :grouphug:

In fact I love all you guys so :grouphug: for everyone!

GRU
August 21st, 2011, 12:30 PM
To LisaButz and GRU, as if either of you two even had to ask! Come here the both of yous! :grouphug:

Right back atcha, hon! :grouphug:

UltraBella
August 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
And thank you Ultrabella for better elaborating for everyone else about how to take care of the feather extensions. :flower:

I totally forgot to tell you how much I like yours !!!! What the heck was I thinking ?!?!

terpentyna
August 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
They're really nice, and they suit you...

I would love some thin, flowy ones, like from a rooster.

I will have to improvise.

annieangel149
August 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
awww really lovely!!!! i want some now!!! :D

angelfell
August 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM
A. They look AWESOME, and the colors look so well with your hair.

B. I'm extremely jealous! I want some extremely bad XD.

C. .. they look great :) the end.

Sweetie
August 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Wow looks great on you!!!

Lianna
August 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Very nice. I've been admiring some on the internet (not a trend where I live). I like your shirt too! :)

teela1978
August 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Some of my coworkers have them and I'm somewhat tempted... not sure how I would ever choose which ones to get though!

Eire
August 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Those are so pretty! I've been thinking about getting them as well!

SwordWomanRiona
August 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I like them! American indian fashion! Cool :D

islandboo
August 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Eric, they look great! My niece has some and they are very pretty. I wonder if my Teflon hair would work with them?

Venefica
August 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
It is so pretty, it suits your hair well and really give your appearance style. One question though, are they not hard to brush around. I had a beaded braid in my hair once in a different color than the rest and I took it out as it was a nightmare to brush around it.

Jcv-Shelley
August 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
I think it looks wonderful. I also enjoyed the t-shirt. :)

MeganE
August 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
We do a lot of these at the salon and my daughter currently has five feathers in her hair, three up top and two behind her right ear. You can wash your hair like normal, you can style your hair like normal, including heat styling. The feathers do just fine. She hasn't had any problem detangling or brushing her hair. It's a very small amount of hair crimped in the little silicone ring. And because the ring is coated in silicone it won't damage the hair it is crimped on. My daughter's blend really well with her hair so the effect is subtle and really pretty. She loves them :)

:thud:

I want some now!!!!

Autumn Light
August 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Looks great!! I wanna try some, though I'd probably use clip-ons instead.

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2011, 06:37 PM
How funny! I guess I don't get out often enough to notice that these are the in thing. My neighbor is a stylist and I was just looking up the salon she works at to see if I could figure out when she was going to be at work but the only info on their website was that they are currently doing these feather extensions for free with any cut or color. She had a skinny red feather in her hair a couple weeks ago, it looked great. Keep rocking that feather, Eric!

Wanderer09
August 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've never even heard of those! How neat. :)

2peasinapod
August 21st, 2011, 10:18 PM
Awesome! I love the look, and I love how the red brings out the golden tones in your hair. I love the placement, too - like a flower behind your ear, but much cooler! ;) 8)

gossamer
August 21st, 2011, 11:17 PM
Eric, these are very cute in your hair, so please don't take this the wrong way. :p

As a cat owner, my first thought was that they look like my cat's absolutely favorite toy: http://www.amazon.com/Da-Bird-Feather-Teaser/dp/B000F9JJJE It's a good thing we're internet friends and not real life friends, otherwise he'd sit on the couch behind you and bat at your head. :D

ericthegreat
August 21st, 2011, 11:33 PM
That is too funny gossamer. :p

Altho I'm usually really good with animals. I've petted all breeds of dogs, cats, lizards, turtles, birds, even horses (they've got lots of horse drawn carriages in Central Park and most of them are pretty gentle and will let you pet them on the snout as long as you approach slowly and don't spook them), so I'm betting I'd make fast friends with your cat.

gossamer
August 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
That is too funny gossamer. :p

Altho I'm usually really good with animals. I've petted all breeds of dogs, cats, lizards, turtles, birds, even horses (they've got lots of horse drawn carriages in Central Park and most of them are pretty gentle and will let you pet them on the snout as long as you approach slowly and don't spook them), so I'm betting I'd make fast friends with your cat.

<threadjack>
The bit about making friends with Central Park horses is just too cute.

I'm sure you'd make great friends with him! Also, how many visitors does he get that come pre-equipped with toys? :p (Seriously, this cat loves feathers. I sewed them all over a dress for a costume and I can't hang it in my closet because I catch him in there trying to steal them off the dress)

</threadjack>

ericthegreat
August 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
It is so pretty, it suits your hair well and really give your appearance style. One question though, are they not hard to brush around. I had a beaded braid in my hair once in a different color than the rest and I took it out as it was a nightmare to brush around it.

Actually with the way I detangle my hair, it will be very easy for me to take care of the feathers. I detangle my hair ONLY when its wet and filled with conditioner. And I only use a wide tooth to comb out my hair when its wet. I first divide my hair into sections, and only comb out one section at a time. I start slowly at the very ends, and then gradually work my way up the section. I hold the section out with one hand and comb it out with the other, and I stop combing once I reach my neck. I never comb my scalp. So I know my comb will never catch on the feathers.

When I style my hair straight, I follow the same technique with sectioning. I use my blow dryer and blow out my hair section by section with my paddle brush or a big boar bristle round brush. Again since I hold the sections out separately, there is no way my brush would catch on the feathers at all. I then finish my blowout with my flat iron, and again I take small sections around 1 inch thick, so I never actually mix one section with another.

MonaLisa
August 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
me likes! :)

irishlady
August 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hey guys thank you for all the compliments. I really appreciate all of them. :blossom:

Awww thanks for the hug Eric, needed that :)

ericthegreat
August 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
You are welcome anytime Irishlady. This world needs more love! :heartbeat

didrash
August 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Very pretty!

curlymarcia
August 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Eric you look so cool that now I am wondering if I will rock the feathers.

Navydoc_76
August 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
looks great on you! you have beautiful hair...

Kyla
September 3rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
I got a tiny purple/brown feather in today! :) I love it so much.

luxepiggy
September 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Oh that looks fab! I love the look of feather extensions in long, thick hair like yours! Very striking . . . two thumbs up from piggy b(^(oo)^)d

Now I wonder how my tinsel would look next to some feathers . . . :hmm:

GRU
September 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
two thumbs up from piggy b(^(oo)^)d

Just when I think I've seen 'em all, you come up with even more piggy emoticons -- the thumbs up is awesome, luxepiggy!

truepeacenik
September 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Eric , you rock those feathers.

I can also see peacock feathers....

rowie
September 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
It looks fabulous! Eric, you are such an inspiration for me to grow my hair really long. Keep on posting! And thanks in advance for sharing!

mallorykay13
September 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I love it on you! It's way too trendy for me to attempt to pull of but you look stunning.

Lisa R
September 4th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Perfect choice of colours! You look fab:)

Toadstool
September 5th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I Want To Hug Eric!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Eric, these are cool. I haven't heard of this trend before but I expect you to be at the forefront of anything new! :cool:It hasn't reached darkest Wales yet.