PDA

View Full Version : Keep hair from knotting when sleeping?

TealDolphin
August 21st, 2011, 02:51 AM
My hair knots easily when sleeping; it also sometimes forms these mat like things in my hair which are easy to pull out. I can't put it in a braid or bun when sleeping because that gives me a headache. Any suggestions?

Rusticular
August 21st, 2011, 02:55 AM
A silk pillowcase is always a good idea; and so comfy! Otherwise, you could get yourself a night cap(if you don't mind the look, haha)?

kme81
August 21st, 2011, 02:58 AM
I second getting a sleeping cap...I'm even wearing one right now! :)

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 03:06 AM
Would two pigtails at the nape be uncomfortable? With elastics down the length like this http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/USWeekly/1312900287_olivia-wilde-ponytail-290.jpg Minus the teasing of course.

fandango
August 21st, 2011, 04:41 AM
I know you said braids give you a headache and I don't I assume for a second that I know more about your head than you but I find a really loose english braid comfortable to sleep in. I also use a satin pillowcase.

Pierre
August 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Have you tried one braid or bun or two? If I wear one bun, in back (which is rare), I have to take it out before sleeping; but if I have two (which I usually do), no problem. I even sleep with Flexis on - no time needed to get my hair ready the next day.

Also you could try a Buff. I always wear a Buff when sleeping (except, of course, when hennaing), and if I have my hair down I can just stuff it in the Buff.

selderon
August 21st, 2011, 06:16 AM
Placement can be everything. Where did you place your bun or braid (on your head)? How tight was it?

CarpeDM
August 21st, 2011, 06:20 AM
A sleeping cap is the way to go!

omnivore
August 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Another vote for a satin pillowcase! Mr. omnivore even sleeps on one (and his hair is less than 1/4" at it's shortest, to about 1" at the longest...)

I found ours at Ross. My hair is a fan!

dulce
August 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
A sleeping cap!!!

Madora
August 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Braids should not hurt your head, provided they are loosely braided.

Have you tried multiple mini braids instead of two braids?

If the braid suggestion doesn't work, could you use barrettes to clip your hair in place..say at the nape? Goody makes great "ouchless" barrettes in 2 sizes that look very hair friendly.