PDA

View Full Version : LHC made me hate the world!

perkidanman
August 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Forgive the title but I'm so irritated! Not in an angry kind of way but that, "is everyone else crazy or am I the one that's crazy?" kind of way.

For the life of me I cannot look for hair advice anywhere but forums like this place anymore! Youtube and Google just pile up a lot of "care" that was the same stuff that was damaging my hair before I found this place! It makes me want to scream to people to look here!

Am I alone here? It seems like whenever I see a cute, simple hairstyle I might want to try I watch half the video on youtube and the lady is suddenly talking backcombing and using "heat protectors" so your hair won't get damaged when you heat style and I have to navigate away from the page before I scream!

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
That may be unique to straight/wavy haired people. Most of the YouTube and Google advice I've found for my hair type is identical to that which I get here. :shrug:

racrane
August 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
No, I get it. And it's worse in the theater/modeling world when backcombing, teasing and heat styling is pretty common.

Lollipop
August 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I totally understand. I want to scream at all the "advice" that I used to listen to that made me hate my 3a hair. I was looking at my sister's Cosmo and got happy that braids were "in" for summer, but the tutorials all just said "braid your hair, secure it, and use X coney product". Seriously, they weren't even describing the braids properly. One celebrity had a dutch braided (lace?) headband and they just said "use Y product and french braid your hair. Secure in place." They didn't even explain how to braid, and that was the most helpful one.

I sometimes surf Youtube for tutorials and I see things likewarnings to, "make sure to gently detangle your hair" while she rips through it with a paddle brush. I feel crazy watching videos sometimes. I found a few good Youtubers, but I can't watch most of the stuff out there.

perkidanman
August 20th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I totally understand. I want to scream at all the "advice" that I used to listen to that made me hate my 3a hair. I was looking at my sister's Cosmo and got happy that braids were "in" for summer, but the tutorials all just said "braid your hair, secure it, and use X coney product". Seriously, they weren't even describing the braids properly. One celebrity had a dutch braided (lace?) headband and they just said "use Y product and french braid your hair. Secure in place." They didn't even explain how to braid, and that was the most helpful one.

I sometimes surf Youtube for tutorials and I see things likewarnings to, "make sure to gently detangle your hair" while she rips through it with a paddle brush. I feel crazy watching videos sometimes. I found a few good Youtubers, but I can't watch most of the stuff out there.

Oh, it's this exactly! I can't stand the back-and-forth in the comments section of Youtube. It seems like when people ask someone how they lost weight; no one wants to hear that they worked really hard and had to use a lot of discipline, they want to hear you did a diet or pill or something they can replicate without changing their lifestyle.

NightOwl26
August 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I hear ya! After joining LHC a couple months ago my outlook on hair care completely changed!

There is one girl on YouTube that I like all her videos. By the way she is, she has a to be an LHC follower! But I'm not positive. Check her out! Her name is 'Loepsie' she is an amazing braider too.

Lollipop
August 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Oh, it's this exactly! I can't stand the back-and-forth in the comments section of Youtube. It seems like when people ask someone how they lost weight; no one wants to hear that they worked really hard and had to use a lot of discipline, they want to hear you did a diet or pill or something they can replicate without changing their lifestyle.

And whenever a youtuber has hair that is on the longer end of normal (APL-BSL), people always comment "Is it real?", and "how did you grow it?" Some people seriously expect something like "Oh, I washed every day with Pantene and used my special expensive flat-iron every day to seal in moisture to my wet hair!"

There are occasional tidbits of good advice, like not washing every day, but they are generally lost among all that other hair styling advice. I think most people don't understand basic haircare.

perkidanman
August 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I hear ya! After joining LHC a couple months ago my outlook on hair care completely changed!

There is one girl on YouTube that I like all her videos. By the way she is, she has a to be an LHC follower! But I'm not positive. Check her out! Her name is 'Loepsie' she is an amazing braider too.

I do have a few people on Youtube I subscribe to that are LCHers (is that a word?) so I'll have to add a few of her videos if I see anything that I want to keep.

The thing that just irritates me is the comments on the good videos. So many people going, "why don't you use a product to make the curls last longer?", "Ew, you only wash your hair once a week, that's DISGUSTING!", and whatnot. Makes me crazy! :mad:

pepperminttea
August 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
The thing that just irritates me is the comments on the good videos. So many people going, "why don't you use a product to make the curls last longer?", "Ew, you only wash your hair once a week, that's DISGUSTING!", and whatnot. Makes me crazy! :mad:

This is what annoys me most too. I went back a while ago to re-watch a video Loepsie made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EicYuYG4XLU) and so many of the comments are vile. Once you get past the "brush your hair!" bitchiness, there's comparisons to Mr. Bean. I mean come on, that's just not on. :mad:

NightOwl26
August 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM
This is what annoys me most too. I went back a while ago to re-watch a video Loepsie made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EicYuYG4XLU) and so many of the comments are vile. Once you get past the "brush your hair!" bitchiness, there's comparisons to Mr. Bean. I mean come on, that's just not on. :mad:

Oh I know. People are so negative and 'haters' I can't stand it. I feel bad when people are mean to her. She is sweet and I appreciate her videos! She made this video on Hennaing her hair and said "Lets go ginger." People got offended from the word 'ginger' and gave her a hard time about it. She didn't mean harm.

Mesmerise
August 21st, 2011, 12:15 AM

Loepsie is on LHC! She's not a super active poster though, but you can probably find her in the member's list if you look! I loved her vid on making the fully rolled sock bun and sock bun curls, but it really doesn't seem to work the same way in my fluffy hair :(.

julliams
August 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM
I get cranky when I go to a salon and I tell them that so many conditioners are loaded with silicones and they nod in agreement saying, "yes, we don't have anything like that in our products" but I know full well that they do. A couple of times I've asked to see the bottle and then I point out just how many silicones their products have. Once, when I went back, the stylist told me that she went online and checked it out (after she had told me that none of her products had cones) to discover that the cones in the product she was selling where water solluble. Still, it had cones when she was telling her clients it didn't.

Then there is those "morroccan oil" and "argan oil" products that are just a load of silicones with a bit of oil thrown in. That drives me crazy.

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
I know what you mean. I was looking up hair tutorials and the steps to get one very simple bun are so complicated. Who needs to flat iron their hair, curl it and then rub talc powder all over it to "get texture". And then backcomb it before creating the simple little bun. Ridiculous.

This is what annoys me most too. I went back a while ago to re-watch a video Loepsie made and so many of the comments are vile. Once you get past the "brush your hair!" bitchiness, there's comparisons to Mr. Bean. I mean come on, that's just not on.
That girl is gorgeous. She should be invited to LHC her hair is stunning I want more tips! I do see a slight resemblance to mr.bean. Is that supposed to be some kind of insult?

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 02:00 AM
That girl is gorgeous. She should be invited to LHC her hair is stunning I want more tips! I do see a slight resemblance to mr.bean. Is that supposed to be some kind of insult?

I'm fairly sure she is on LHC. :)

I guess if it were me, I'd find it insulting. It's not an especially kind comparison.

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 02:33 AM
I'm fairly sure she is on LHC. :)

I guess if it were me, I'd find it insulting. It's not an especially kind comparison.
That seems to be the intention, but I don't see it that way. We all resemble some random person out there of the opposite gender.:cool:

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 02:48 AM
That seems to be the intention, but I don't see it that way. We all resemble some random person out there of the opposite gender.:cool:

I think it was more that they said "Mr. Bean" rather than Rowan Atkinson. :shrug:

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 03:03 AM
Oh I see.

Rosetta
August 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM
I do understand what you mean (OP) - I've felt for years that most "mainstream" hair advice, or any advice in fact, just isn't really applicable to me; but I try to steer clear from such negative feelings as hate (at least for any longer time), as it's just damaging to myself and not really worth it :)

Siiri
August 21st, 2011, 05:45 AM
I used to enjoy reading women's magazines because it was entertaining and relaxing, but after starting to use natural cosmetics and "LHC" hair care routine, I really don't see the point anymore. The hair and skin care tips and hair styling tips just are not for me anymore, and I'm not interested in what's in fashion really. If there is a different type of magazine, I haven't found it. I sometimes still buy one, but get disappointed :(

kylarosee
August 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Siiri, I'm with you on that one. i used to pick up women's magazines once in a while, some vapid entertainment I guess, but now they just usually leave me kinda miffed. The hair "tutorials" sometimes depict nice styles, but the instructions don't mention so much the technique but rather the ton of products "necessary" to get the look.

There seems to be less and less knowledge out there of the proper ways to care for your hair. I've read some old (very old, like 1890s old) beauty books that espouse the same kinds of methods used here on LHC. Not washing too often, gentle handling etc. I guess the advertising companies have really suckered us in with the ads, getting us to wash our hair as often as people do.
Speaking of poor hair care methods though, I once had a friend who insisted on violently brushing her hair after showering with a regular hairbrush.. *shudder*

ktani
August 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
LHC has some pretty great hair care advice but not all the answers for hair care or many would not be seeking advice within the threads here.

It is in somes cases how a product is used. Heat protectors can work depending on a number of variables. If one looks at the "Tips" on the ads for Pantene Breakage to Strength products, you will see things like lowering the heat dial on straighteners and blow dryers and treating hair gently.

There are many ways to reduce hair damage. Many of those ways can be found here like blow drying on the cool setting and there are methods and recipes for treatments of many kinds.

Others here are perfectly fine using shampoo and conditioner and little else, other than being extra careful detangling.

Whether one has short or long hair, there are many ways to take care of it so that it looks good.

allycat
August 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM
I know what you mean, but that's the mainstream for you.

I've been so far out of the mainstream for so long that I guess I'm pretty used to what I find there as being totally irrelevant to my life, whether it comes to hair or just beauty in general, but also clothing, nutrition, healthcare, etc.

Pantha
August 21st, 2011, 09:32 AM
What we all have to bear in mind when we see these advertisements on the TV and in magazines (although I can't remember the last time I read a womens magazine) is that they are always trying to sell you something. Also if they can sell it to you then they want you to use lots of it so you will buy even more. Most companys are after big profits, and that is what these products provide, big profits for big companys. Its not just hair care though, all beauty products, household cleaning products and even soap powder are all products by companies that want to make a profit.

ktani
August 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM
What we all have to bear in mind when we see these advertisements on the TV and in magazines (although I can't remember the last time I read a womens magazine) is that they are always trying to sell you something. Also if they can sell it to you then they want you to use lots of it so you will buy even more. Most companys are after big profits, and that is what these products provide, big profits for big companys. Its not just hair care though, all beauty products, household cleaning products and even soap powder are all products by companies that want to make a profit.

Agreed! Profit is the name of the game and that is not restricted to large cosmetic companies. Small ones operate the same way too.

With larger companies that exaggerate claims, there is often fine print or an asterisk to explain that the 5 x stronger for example, refers to using shampoo alone without conditioner and that is still iffy to me.

By now many are aware that print ads are photoshopped and computer technology and special lighting enhances TV hair care ads.

I am still amazed by hair care ads that promise to repair hair care damage when cosmetic company executives and their r&d people know that is not true. Any "repair" is a temporary surface fix or in some cases protein can penetrate hair and help strengthen it, only for a limited period of time or as long as the product is used (it will wash out), leaving the hair as it was before use.

Lianna
August 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM
You'll probably find more information suited to your needs if you search for natural hair alternatives. There's at least three other boards out there that have information similar to this one (though I'm not that active anywhere but here).

And conventional hair care works for many people. Works for me to some degree.

Impulsive
August 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
I know what you mean, but I think hate is too strong of a word because what they do to their hair doesn't affect me... I've seen many youtube videos that talk about straightening and curling and backcombing as if they're normal and expected practices... and for most people perhaps they are, but I just cringe and edit their advice/hairstyle to suit my own purposes.

irishlady
August 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
I know what you mean, I felt that way the other day when looking for styles for shorter hair on Youtube. They were all heat styling or back combing their poor hair.

I just come up with my own styles now or adapt LHC ones for my length :)

redcelticcurls
August 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM
That may be unique to straight/wavy haired people. Most of the YouTube and Google advice I've found for my hair type is identical to that which I get here. :shrug:

I agree with this, and even find that a bit more appropriate for my texture than some of the common things here.