PDA

View Full Version : Broke my only hair sticks. (facepalm)

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I was throwing my hair up into a lazy bun and broke one of my only hair sticks. (I have one now, instead of a pair. :mad: ) I'm totally bummed. Just needed to tell someone that would get how big of a deal it was. I was in front of my father and when I broke it and gasped very loudly. He didn't understand.

racrane
August 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Oh no. :( I'm sorry. I most certainly do understand. My boyfriend accidentally broke one of mine and he didn't understand either. :(

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Yea. And I use them all the time and now I have one. I cannot do a good strong all-day cinnabun with one! The only other non-ponytail option I have are spin pins and I suck at those. :(

selderon
August 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Awwwww. :(

On the other hand, this might be a great opportunity to get a stick made of something really tough... like lignum vitae. Or metal. :D

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
There is no where around here that sells them. The ones that I had were from Claire's and were wood. I simply do not know where to get cheap ones.. I don't have much disposable income.

xoerincolleen
August 20th, 2011, 09:24 PM
You can still do buns with 1 hairstick! It might take a little practice to adapt how you insert the stick, but you can definitely hold a bun with a single stick!

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2011, 09:42 PM
You can use color pencils and just use nail polish on the ends where the wood is all chippy and stuff. Maybe even glaze it over with that finishing polish they use on wood.
Sometimes even pens will work that won't get caught in your hair.

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 09:48 PM
You can use color pencils and just use nail polish on the ends where the wood is all chippy and stuff. Maybe even glaze it over with that finishing polish they use on wood.
Sometimes even pens will work that won't get caught in your hair.

You just saved my life. Thank you.

GRU
August 20th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Chopsticks for Children -- AsianIdeas.com (http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html)

Only 50-cents a pair... get a couple pairs in every color/design!

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM
You just saved my life. Thank you.
You're welcome. :)

Chopsticks for Children -- AsianIdeas.com (http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html)

Only 50-cents a pair... get a couple pairs in every color/design!
I was going to suggest these too but i didn't know where to get them, i only know where to get porcelain ones and those are more expensive.

Lollipop
August 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Oh no! It sucks that you broke your day to day hairsticks :(. My family thought I was crazy that I was freaking out over losing my spin pins, but they're the only way I know to hold my hair up all day. I like the suggestions for colored pencils and nail polish. OH, well, at least you can now get ne hairtoys :cheese:!

julliams
August 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM
I did the same thing with a Dymmondwood Ketylo - can you believe that? I just got good at doing one stick buns. That's the only upside to it...

HairStickler
August 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
You can also check out the self made hairtoys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131) if you are interested in making your own hairsticks. It can be very cheap to make them out of dowels or branches or knitting needles.

mallorykay13
August 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
You can also check out the self made hairtoys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131) if you are interested in making your own hairsticks. It can be very cheap to make them out of dowels or branches or knitting needles.

I will check this out.
On the plus side, I am one of those people that has a very hard time buying something of which they already have, so maybe this is a good thing for me. A guilt free upgrade.

boomtownrat
August 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
mallorykay13, if you have an Asian market near you, I recommend looking for interesting chopsticks there. I've seen cheap ones made of wood, plastic, and metal. In fact, I'll be heading there soon myself, just so I have some for when my hair is finally long enough. :)

Lianna
August 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
If I may suggest eBay, you can find cheap yet sturdy hairsticks there. Example. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTI-SWAROVSKI-CRYSTAL-2-BIG-BUTTERFLY-HAIR-STICK-PIN-/250878234634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6982100a)

dragonmyst
August 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
I usually just use 1 hairstick (actually they are bamboo chopsticks I bought 6 pairs for $1 at Dollar Tree) make a bun then secure it with the stick. I haven't mastered using 2 sticks yet (mainly cause my kids took off with the extras and I never know where 2 are at any given time)

tigereye
August 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Another vote here for pencils. They used to be my staple day to day hairsticks, before my collection grew rather massively. :o I would just throw my hair up on the bus with whatever was handy. Downside was I very often only had one pen or pencil with me. Upside was, I quickly learned how to make almost any bun work with one. Normally if I use two, the second one doesn't do anything but look pretty and even the look of the bun out :shrug:
Normally if you have good quality pencils, most won't shred at the wood with a decent sharpening. If you're worried, sand down the lumps and bumps, and you can still actually use the pencil if you need to. Also, I have also used pens too. You just need to be a little more careful not to catch your hair on any part of it.
I too will be heading over to the make your own hairtoys thread, because I spend far more than really necessary on hairtoys, but I do love them so. :p

islandboo
August 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
Aww, that's awful. But yes, it is a good guilt-free upgrade!

Honestwitness
August 21st, 2011, 03:40 PM
I make very cheap hair sticks from orange wood cuticle sticks that I purchase at Sally's Beauty Supply. I like to challenge myself to find the cheapest possible alternatives for hair accessories. I've been purchasing lots of nail polish lately, so I can paint them in pretty colors. I have done one in bright red and painted a set of snap clips to match. My updos album shows it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=109439

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
mallorykay13, if you have an Asian market near you, I recommend looking for interesting chopsticks there. I've seen cheap ones made of wood, plastic, and metal. In fact, I'll be heading there soon myself, just so I have some for when my hair is finally long enough. :)

Agreed. You can sometimes get child-length chop sticks too, which makes life easier. :)

mallorykay13
August 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I live in po-dunk Iowa, so unfortunetly I do not have an asian market. I have made myself a pair of red pencil sticks for now.

MissEarlGrey
August 21st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Buy double-ended knitting needles. That is what I use; they come in packs of five and are made of metal. You can get them anywhere that sells knitting things.

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM
Buy double-ended knitting needles. That is what I use; they come in packs of five and are made of metal. You can get them anywhere that sells knitting things.

Ditto! You can also bend them into giant u-shaped pins or two-prong hair forks. :)

Honestwitness
August 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Here's a picture of one of my cheap, homemade hair sticks.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=110883

I used a cuticle stick I purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for 68 cents. I covered it with part of a page I printed with my color laser printer. I cut a rectangle long and wide enough to wrap around the stick lengthwise and stuck it on with an ordinary glue stick. I let it dry for about a week before using it. I had thought I would cover it with a coat of clear nail polish, but it's holding up fine so far as-is. It's not waterproof, but I never put my hair up until it's dry. Besides, if I want something waterproof, I will use one of my double-pointed knitting needles.

kettle
August 23rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I snapped a stick and my etta mae fork last week! (And then dropped and blunted a dymondwood stick, rendering it too snaggy for use.) So I have an idea how you feel! It's VERY annoying. :doh: Facepalm indeed. Thankfully I have enough other things to get by, but I've taken the opportunity to buy a couple more sticks from etsy.com (http://www.etsy.com/), since those I snapped were my staples...

Top tip I realised while searching for these; search for "wood shawl pin" rather than stick. At least, this turned out more of the type of sturdy sticks and forks I like to go for.

Loving the cheap stick ideas. Definitely going to check out the knitting needle ideas, and Honestwitness, your self made sticks are really great! Never seen a cuticle stick in my life before, but I'm going to have a hunt for one in Boots and see if I can't do a half-arsed job of copying you :)

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Oh no! It sucks that you broke your day to day hairsticks :(. My family thought I was crazy that I was freaking out over losing my spin pins, but they're the only way I know to hold my hair up all day. I like the suggestions for colored pencils and nail polish. OH, well, at least you can now get ne hairtoys :cheese:! hehehe to the spin pins as well! My family is use to me freaking out when I broke/lost any hair toys :)

longcurlygirl<3
August 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Here's a picture of one of my cheap, homemade hair sticks.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=110883

I used a cuticle stick I purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for 68 cents. I covered it with part of a page I printed with my color laser printer. I cut a rectangle long and wide enough to wrap around the stick lengthwise and stuck it on with an ordinary glue stick. I let it dry for about a week before using it. I had thought I would cover it with a coat of clear nail polish, but it's holding up fine so far as-is. It's not waterproof, but I never put my hair up until it's dry. Besides, if I want something waterproof, I will use one of my double-pointed knitting needles.

So creative! I need to try this!

Impulsive
August 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I just broke my one and only hair stick. I also got no sympathy from my family. *sigh* I'm interested in trying the knitting needles. Could someone please give me an idea about how much they cost?

Honestwitness
August 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I got a pack of 4 double-pointed, seven-inch knitting needles at Joann's Fabric and Crafts in Feb 2011 for $3.99. They are the 3.25 mm size. They bend very easily into a nice fork.

emelnd
August 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Yes. I got a 7 pack for $1 at a dollar store. I bent a couple and put nail polish on them to make hair forks though, the sticks will slide right off my hair.

Edit: I got the thick, size 5 ones. Bending them is no problem.

Impulsive
August 27th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I didn't realize knitting needles were so cheap. I will be on the look out for them now. Thank you both for the information!

emelnd
August 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
You are welcome!

wooliswonderful
August 27th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I love double point knitting needles! I'm wearing my size 11 Brittany Birch in my Avatar.
I prefer wood and they're nice and smooth. I also use a Harmony Wood cable needle (http://www.etsy.com/listing/72114158/knitpicks-options-harmony-wood-cable?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS) for smaller buns.

Impulsive
September 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM
So, I got a pack of knitting needles and I've been using them in my hair for a few days now. I love them! Once again, a big thank you to those who recommended them!

Kitteh
September 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
There is no where around here that sells them. The ones that I had were from Claire's and were wood. I simply do not know where to get cheap ones.. I don't have much disposable income.

Chopsticks. Shorten, sand down, paint or go au naturel. I have broken everything but steel and bamboo! :Chuck Norris hair:

EDIT: I post first, read later. Bad Kitteh! Anyway, no Asian market in my town either, but we do have Asian restaurants and their disposable chopsticks. When the waitress saw how I wore mine (recognized them although I shortened and sanded and (nail)polished them), she gave me two extra pairs when I was leaving! <3

mallorykay13
September 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Chopsticks. Shorten, sand down, paint or go au naturel. I have broken everything but steel and bamboo! :Chuck Norris hair:

"chuck norris hair" Made my day. Thank you for that.

Chetanlaiho
September 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM
I hate it when that happens xD Luckily I usually get cheapo ones from Claire's anyway. When I saw a pair I already had was on sale I just got a backup pair just in case xD

SpinDance
September 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
For metal chopsticks I like the short ones here (http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=39C04.01). Honestwitness, love your pretty stick, very creative!