PDA

View Full Version : Got My Hair Braided at Ren Faire (pics!)

sarahbrownie
August 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Went to the NYS Renaissance Faire today. I told my mom the first thing I wanted to do was get my hair braided, and guess what the first booth we saw? I felt accomplished for the day! I went through a book and picked the one I knew I couldn't do at home. I picked the "5 strand classic". It took her like 10 minutes and she was hardly looking at me while she did it. Amazing! It was around $27 and she did a great job. Here are a few pictures in different light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_5650copya.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_5648copya.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_55123.jpg

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a headache, but I'm going to see how long I can keep it before it looks like a mess.

Here is a bit of eye candy to make the post worth while. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_5671aaas.jpg

Edited for Update: So I lasted 24 hours before I took them out. I couldn't stop myself, it got really itchy, like my scalp couldn't breathe! All better now! I'm a little disappointed I couldn't keep it longer but I guess I'll just have to try to do it myself very soon.

QueenJoey
August 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Very nice! Pretty hair and good eye candy. :)

KrissyKitty
August 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Your hair looks fantastic! I love the little flowers too!

And OMG that man is beautiful. Eye candy indeed.

Mesmerise
August 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Lovely hair!! Looks so pretty and intricate :)

Oh, and that's definitely some lovely eye candy too!!

Aqua Gal
August 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
That is gorgeous!

I know what you mean about the headache. I had mine crown braided at the RF a few years back. As the day wore on, it felt like my hair was pulling tighter and tighter. (Maybe because they wet mine down to braid?) Anyway, my plans to leave it in were thwarted by the terrible rumbling headache.

I hope you can keep yours in, it looks so pretty!~

little_acorn
August 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
It looks awesom, thanks for sharing :)

Melanie Marie
August 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Really beautiful!!!

Melon Collie
August 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
You should have brought the eye candy home. I would have.

Excuse me whilst I wipe the drool from my keyboard.

Your braids are gorgeous btw. :)

Carolyn
August 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Your hair looks lovely! I'll take 2 of the eye candy :gabigrin:

Gumball
August 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
That's great! I'll admit that's the booth I first sought when I went to my first ren faire. :lol: They did a fabulous job on your hair! Smart thing to look for something you knew you couldn't do. It makes it more worthwhile. Let's hope it lasts for at least a few days! :D

racrane
August 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Aw, the braid is so pretty! And yes, the eye candy makes me melt. :D

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Wow on both counts!

I'll have to look to see if our ren faire has such a booth. I don't remember seeing such a thing when I went a few years ago. What a fun idea!

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Oh my god...the eye candy is a mix of Alcide from trueblood, this handsome guy from a novela i used to watch, and my good friend i skype with now....thank you! i must show my friend!

1hunky5monkeys
August 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
That is so pretty! Did your mom pay close attention so that she can braid your hair like that now? :D

Chayliana
August 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Very pretty! I'll have to see if there's such a booth at the MI RenFest. I'm curious what they could do with my baby fine shoulder-length hair.

GRU
August 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I'm so jealous.... all kinds of gorgeousness going on there!

kme81
August 20th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I want to go to a Ren Faire and get my hair braided so much!!!

Your braids are so pretty!

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I love Faire braids. I wish I had a kid with hair long enough for me to braid like that. :) Also, sweet eye candy. :D

kme81
August 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I was inspired to do a 3-strand dutch version of this...took me about 20 min! :D

Pics are in my "hairdos" album. :cheese:

EDIT: Sadly, my album lacks the eye candy you supplied... -drools-

Sewas
August 20th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I love it. It is very beautiful and perfect for a warm summer day.

feralnature
August 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Take some ibuprophen and sport those braids for as long as possible! I go to the Texas Renfest and did not even think to look for hairbraiding there. Oh, and yes, pretty man :)

Slinks
August 20th, 2011, 11:54 PM
WOW :thud: VERY NICE !! :-) :lol: to both

hypersensitive
August 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM
this is the first thing ill be looking the minute i step into a ren faire! i would love to get my hair braided too! urs looks really awesome!!

Dragon
August 21st, 2011, 01:04 AM
It looks good :)

TheCaityCat
August 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM
Your hair is so pretty in those braids! It makes me wish I had four hands and about two extra feet of hair.

paintedhorse
August 21st, 2011, 04:10 AM
OMG that looks amazing!!!! both my husband and i are itching to go to a Renaissance fair and iv told him thats the first thing we are going to do is get my hair braded lol!!

Ardellis
August 21st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Pretty braids. And very pretty eye candy, too.

Two of the reasons I love ren faires so very much.

Quahatundightu
August 21st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Oh.. wow!!! That is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing :) I have always dreamed of getting my hair braided at something like a Renfaire.

Are they gentle with your hair? One thing that prevents other people from doing my hair is that they brush out the tangles too violently, and with my fine hair it just snaps so easily. Never met anyone who treated it gently enough!

CarpeDM
August 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the eye candy and the awesome braid!

Curly Hermione
August 21st, 2011, 07:02 AM
It's so pretty! (the hair and the candy!). I'm green with envy, we don't have ren fairs in England (as far as i know).

embee
August 21st, 2011, 07:21 AM
Lovely braids!

Good choice on the eye candy too. :)

jasper
August 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Fun! I want to do that some time.

EvaSimone
August 21st, 2011, 07:31 AM
Very pretty and that man is gorgeous!!!

Finoriel
August 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Lovely updo! :thud:

I wish we'd have that kind of eye candy *coughchortleahem* fairs around here. :wink:

CurlyMopTop
August 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM
I love the braids! Can you send some eye candy to MI?? :D

vanillabones
August 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
That's lovely I would love to go to the one in NYC :D
I would happily pay $30 for that braiding too hehe.
I hope you had a great time.

Yozhik
August 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Beautifully intricate braids! That's a great style, and definitely not something that's very easy to do at home, so good all-around choice. :)

I hope the headache subsides. (Just look at your eyecandy a bit more, I bet that'll help ;))

Avital88
August 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
oh that is just beautiful! i love it

slz
August 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM
OMG gorgeous :thud: !!

Um and the braid is veery nice, too :D.

Arrow
August 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
It's so pretty! (the hair and the candy!). I'm green with envy, we don't have ren fairs in England (as far as i know).

We don't have Ren Faires but we do have Medieval Festivals, like the one I will be attending at Herstmonceaux Castle over the August bank holiday ;0)

LOVE the braiding! I am just starting to get the hang of French braiding my own hair, so I guess the next step is two French braids, then crown braids and so on that go around the head and horizontally and so on. If someone can do it on your hair, you can do it on yourself! In theory.

Yame
August 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM
That's so cool! I hope my area Ren Faire has that, too. I'll be going next month (and performing there--yay!), I'd love to have that done!

spidermom
August 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Gorgeous! And your hair looks good, too.

sarahbrownie
August 21st, 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the comments! I'm still sporting the braids!

I was so shy that Mom went to take the picture. She has no shame. lol! I'm so glad she did though! I'll take that man in tights anytime!

Oh my god...the eye candy is a mix of Alcide from trueblood, this handsome guy from a novela i used to watch, and my good friend i skype with now....thank you! i must show my friend!

That's exactly who he reminds me of! I knew he was familiar! I'm totally can't wait for tonight's episode! More Alcide!

I was inspired to do a 3-strand dutch version of this...took me about 20 min! :D

Pics are in my "hairdos" album. :cheese:

EDIT: Sadly, my album lacks the eye candy you supplied... -drools-

You did a great job! Now I know I can at least get part of it done at home. Maybe I'll attempt the 5 strand plait one day, but I'm don't think I'll get it as perfect as she did.

Take some ibuprophen and sport those braids for as long as possible! I go to the Texas Renfest and did not even think to look for hairbraiding there. Oh, and yes, pretty man :)

It's my hope to! Took some asprin and wore a scarf to bed. My braids are still there though my short nape hair is falling out, but I was expecting that.

Oh.. wow!!! That is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing :) I have always dreamed of getting my hair braided at something like a Renfaire.

Are they gentle with your hair? One thing that prevents other people from doing my hair is that they brush out the tangles too violently, and with my fine hair it just snaps so easily. Never met anyone who treated it gently enough!

They were pretty gentle, I never felt any breaking, though she did it tight but I wanted her to. She asked me to tell her if she was pulling too hard but I didn't think so, it was just as if I was doing my own hair. Anyway, the booth I went to they gave me a hair comb to brush my hair myself. I have really velcro-y ends and it seemed like I never felt any pulling or anything.

RainbowHawk
August 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
T
I was so shy that Mom went to take the picture. She has no shame. lol! I'm so glad she did though! I'll take that man in tights anytime!

:lol: Your mom rocks. ;)

irishlady
August 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM
That looks amazing!! I am so jealous lol :p

VikingVampChick
August 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM

This. Boy is adorable :)

Madora
August 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Your RenFaire braids look so elegant and beautiful, Sarahbrownie! Thanks for sharing the photos.

That's something I always wanted to do..but never did. I guess I'm paranoid but I didn't want anyone touching my hair or pulling it tight.

Selkietea
August 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
The braids are gorgeous and so is that eye candy:)

SoulOfTheSea
August 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
That looks really pretty! :) I hope I can go to a fair and have that done! And nice eye candy, too. ;)

mistofvongola
August 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Your braids are really pretty! :D Wish we had a Ren faire in my area; I've never been. Seems like fun.

Alaia
August 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Beautiful!!!

:D

Both things. ;)

BohoClassic
August 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Your hair is like a work of art-beautiful!
Woohooo! Eye candy indeed! ;)

sarahbrownie
August 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
So I lasted 24 hours before I took them out. I couldn't stop myself, it got really itchy, like my scalp couldn't breathe! All better now! I'm a little disappointed I couldn't keep it longer but I guess I'll just have to try to do it myself very soon.

wildroses
August 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Great braid, and the eye candy is def worth enjoying :)

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
They did a beautiful job; I'm so envious! :)

Carriegirl
August 21st, 2011, 06:30 PM
That braid is so beautiful! I can't imagine doing it on anyone, let alone myself! I may go to the PA Ren Faire....I'll look for a braiding booth for sure if I do!

As for the eye candy - he looks exactly like my cousin!!! I'd swear it was him but he lives in Vancouver!

heartgoesboom
August 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
so pretty! i need to find a ten faire to go to

SusanSt
August 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM
How pretty!! Did you watch carefully so you can do it on yourself? :)

sarahbrownie
August 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
How pretty!! Did you watch carefully so you can do it on yourself? :)

No way I could, she was behind me. lol! :D

I'm pretty sure I can do it with a 3 plait dutch but I have yet to master the 5 plait dutch.

Melon Collie
August 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM
:lol: Your mom rocks. ;)

Exactly. :)

vendethiel
August 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
How beautiful! Now I want to get my hair braided!

jayhawkmama
August 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
You look so beautiful :)

citadel
August 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
It looks beautiful! I am going to my first ren faire at the end of this month in MD--very excited.

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Didn't have time to read all the replies but wanted to say that looked very beautiful and I bet it was fun while it lasted! Whenever I spend a lot of time on a style I try to make it last.

Oh, and not my brand of eye candy. lol

I prefer the bald or blading and slightly overweight, short hair look. Skin color matters not. I find this attractive in all colors. I know, weird. Funny, this is exactly what my drop-dead-gorgeous husband looks like. LOL. He is the nougat variety. LOLOL ok I am really laughing too much at this and probably should go to bed now.

arc691
August 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%204/vintage436488.jpg Ooo, I love it!

jenhow
August 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Your hair looks fantastic! Soo pretty. Thanks for sharing.

christine1989
August 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM
So beautiful! I've always wanted to get my hair braided by a pro if only to see if they could tame the thick fluff. ;)

Gypsygirl
August 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Beautiful... :love: Both your hair and the eye candy. ;)

Shany
August 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
So pretty!!! IMO, doing amazing hairstyles like this is an art.