PDA

View Full Version : Why wash this way?

BlazingHeart
August 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
So I keep reading that one should not pile the hair on the top of the head when shampooing. What I want to know is why. Is it because of breakage? Is it because of knots?

I'm having trouble washing my hair because of joint problems, and it'd be a lot easier to do by piling it on top of my head. I don't have much trouble with knots, so if the reason for not doing that is tangles, well, I don't have much reason to avoid it.

If you know the reason for avoiding it, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
Blaze

Anje
August 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Makes it easy to knot up if you pile it on your head.

Also, your length and ends generally don't need to be shampooed the way your scalp does. Occasional direct sudsing is good when you need to clarify, but the shampoo washing down your length as your rinse is usually enough to clean the length, and not shampooing the length and ends reduces dryness in those more delicate areas.

ellen732
August 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
When I was in beauty school a hundred years ago, we were taught to wash hair by sliding your fingers under the hair, concentrating on the scalp. We were taught to primarily concentrate on the scalp because that is really what needs the cleansing more than the hair. The other reason you don't want to pile it on top of your head is because it creates tangles and is by no means gentle to the hair.

ETA: Anje, you beat me to it.:)

spidermom
August 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Your hair will get washed enough when the suds run through it in the rinse. This might be helpful to you. Make sure your hair is well combed before you wash it. Mix your shampoo into a little water (an empty shampoo or conditioner bottle is great for this), squirt the solution all over your scalp, then use a wide-tooth plastic comb to comb over your scalp (just your scalp, not down the length). This will get your scalp really-really clean.

AnnaJamila
August 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Just for breakage and tangles. If you run conditioner through the ends it could reduce either effect while still letting you pile your hair on your head to make it easier on your joints. :)

BlazingHeart
August 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I actually find that my hair needs the length washed - it clumps if I don't wash it all, and it feels slightly sticky. I don't wash very often (about once a week) and I don't have trouble with dryness in my length as long as I condition.

If the main problem is knots, well...I washed my hair that way for decades and I've never had much trouble with knots, so I don't need to stop doing it. I have about the same number of knots whether I wash it down or wash it piled on top of my head.

~Blaze

Moor_tu_lyfe
August 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM
I use to wash my hair piled on my head- had no major dramas, didn't knot very easily, and despite my hair being fairly heavily bleached, didn't seem to damage it. I had to use the right shampoo and conditioner (my hair hated some) and I often had to change my s and c every so often cause it would stop "working" properly.

Now I'm trying to transition to WO washing, my damage is majorly showing, and I wouldn't dream of "washing" with my hair piled on my head!!! Must've been all those 'cones that made my hair feel nice...:rolleyes:

jojo
August 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Agreed with the others only the roots need washing, the ends get washed when rinsing. washing the ends causes dryness, that conditioner will soften but wont heal the damage that shampooing the whole length will. You can always dilute to stop too much breakage, if you have to wash the ends but i certainly wouldnt pile hair up, it causes tangles and tangles = breakage and split ends