PDA

View Full Version : Apparently a "few layers" means whack off 6 inches

jersey
August 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I know I don't post much, but I am frequently on here to get tips etc. I'm growing out some dye over bleach and needed to clean up some damage.

I thought about it for about a month before I decided to go through with it, but I decided that hip length unlayered hair was very harsh on me and didn't suit me well. I have very very thick hair so it was catching and increasing my shed rate too.

So I decided to go have a FEW layers cut in. I was very very VERY CLEAR I didn't want any length lost and I only wanted enough layers that if I blow it out (on cool ;) ) that it'd have that nice light flip. Seems reasonable, right? I mean as in just a light dust to clean it up and give it some movement if I decide to wear it down.

SHE HACKED OFF 6 INCHES. The layer that hits waist is like maybe 1000 hairs at most. The rest are like shoulder length and the front of my hair set me back at least a year of growth. And she kept talking about "proteins" "amino acids" and then argued with me about silicones and said theres "no such thing in conditioners". After she hacked it off and assured me the length wasn't touched. (Totally bull I was brushing hip and I'm now ABOVE WAIST BY AN INCH). She then pulls out a flat iron which I then asked her politely to not use it on me. She ranted about nasa and ceramic crap and still used it! on WET HAIR! How rude! I can't believe it.

I came home and immediately clarified the pound of chi she put in it and poured a pound of coconut oil and monistat in.

The moral of me posting this is salons are the plague. She trashed long hair said it was gross and not "Sexy". Anyone have a bad hack job that can offer advice on how to go about keeping it up? How to style it? How long it took you to grow it back out again?

I'm trying so hard to keep myself from crying right now, I just keep telling myself it was damaged and now it's 80%~ virgin (+henna) and I'm in a good place to continue growing.

HeatherJenae
August 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry Jersey! Big hugs. Without a doubt, you should call the salon manager and let them know how you were treated so it doesn't happen to someone else. I think focusing on the positives like you were talking about is such a great idea. It might make you feel better to learn from a friend who does hair or even take a class or get a cheap wig to practice on, and learn how to cut your own hair. That way, this will never happen to you again. You'll feel in control again. And remember that many ladies, myself included, would kill to have even your shorter length it is now! :)

Belisarius
August 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ah, that is not nice. Just never go there anymore.

Madora
August 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Sorry you had such an unhappy experience.

If I were you, I'd trim your hair damage off using Feye's Self Trimming method..and then keep the hair trimmed every 3 or 4 months.

Also, wearing it up helps protect the delicate ends (which you said were catching).

It is better to restart with hair that is relatively undamaged, than to try and just grow out what you were left with after the disaster at the salon.

Good luck!

McFearless
August 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Oh no :( I agree I would call up the manager and let s/he know what happened. She didn't listen to you at all. Shoulder length is very far from hip. Wow. :( I'm sorry. I've been there way too many times myself.

All you can do is be patient and try to ignore it. Don't try to fix the cut. The layers will blend better as time passes and it will be long again pretty soon. :grouphug:

Yame
August 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yup, definitely complain to the manager. You didn't get what you asked for, not even close. You can't get your hair back (yet), but maybe you can at least get your money back.

Maverick494
August 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
First of all I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience! It sucks when that happens, I've been there myself. I spent 3 years making up for a botched coloring job and a horribly cut V shaped hemline.

Definitely contact the manager and complain about this hairdresser so she gets reprimanded. I'd demand a refund as well because even though it won't give you your hair back, atleast you'll have your hard earned money back.

After my experience, I babied my hair, but neglected it at the same time (not cuts, no colouring for almost a year) until I was lucky enough to find a hairdresser who values long hair and only cuts off what's necessary. She cut off the hemline to the shape I wanted and I grew it out from there. You can find the before and after pics in my album.

Though right now it might not seem like it, not all hair stylists are as ignorant and scissor happy as the one you unfortunately got across. Next time, (if there is one) really screen the person who is about to cut your hair.

I got my hair coloured and trimmed at a salon 2 months ago because my own hair stylist wasn't available, but before I did I sent a lot of e-mails to different salons I thought could be good (the ones who won prizes at big contests and got a lot of positive reviews) and asked them if they could do what I wished. Those who gave satisfactory answers, I visited and asked about their opinion on long hair and what products they use. I settled for the hair stylist who said she loved long hair and wouldn't dream of cutting off too much. Her own hair also looked healthy. I got my hair done by her and left very happily.

If you cannot find someone like that nearby or if you've gotten paranoid after this experience, I'd try growing out your hair and using Feye's self trim method to get it the way you want: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Also pm UltraBella for advice because she's pretty much the queen of layers and also an experienced hair stylist. That is, if she doesn't find this thread first.

:grouphug: Wish you the best!

Roscata
August 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Honestly I read your post and I don't even know what to say. I'm really sorry you had to go through that and I'm happy that you can see the positive in it (most of the damage is gone). I strongly suggest to either find a stylist that loves long hair and can respect your requests or just trim your own hair.

After all the horror stories I read on LHC about bad hair stylist experiences I have not stepped into a salon, I cut my own hair and I have layers that I recently dusted, it's a bit of work but it's free and I know I'll be in control of my own hair. It's very empowering.

The method I've heard of before when it comes to putting in your own layers is this one: Adding Layers to your Hair Made Simple/Self Cut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6quAXI0gM)

Lots of luck to you in the future and big *HUGS* your hair will grow back and it will now be pretty much damage free. :grouphug:

AlexiaBlue
August 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Oh my, I am so sorry that this happened to you! It's for reasons such as this that I've sworn off hair stylists. :(

angelfell
August 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I'm really sorry about your experience :( I do find that some stylists can be what I like to call "stuck in their own ways"; they know what's "right" and how EVERYONE should wear their hair, etc etc. On the other hand, there are some very attentive stylists, who do listen.

I have stopped visiting salons not because of bad experiences, although I've had plenty of bad experiences, but because I am a cheapo and now that my hair is all one length, I trim it myself. Layers, I could never to myself, so I would be visiting a salon if I were in your shoes. My hair looks more thin with layers, however, so I avoid them nowadays.

I honestly would call the salon manager and politely explain that you were offended and not happy with your experience.. if not for yourself, for the poor ladies/men which must have their hair done in the future by that particular person.

Mesmerise
August 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I know how you feel... I had fairly long (not as long as hip but mid back) hair in a blunt cut a few years back, and I decided I wanted some LONG layers put in. Emphasis on the "long" as in "light layers that were not more than maybe 3" at most shorter than the rest of my hair". So despite describing the light layers I wanted, and indicating that I wanted them long, I ended up with a THICK chin length layer. My bottom layer was thin and straggly, and after some time I had to chop off the bottom 3" because there was hardly any hair in it...

I think the best thing to do is find a stylist who LIKES and APPRECIATES long hair! One who says long hair is gross and not sexy isn't likely to respect your hard work at all :rolleyes:. Personally, I think long hair is super sexy ;).

If you do go to a stylist again, make sure you bring a friend, and preferably find a long hair salon (if possible) or at least talk to the stylists first about their opinion of long hair. Some hair stylists really are great and love long hair, and others are actually respectful of long hair (even though they may not prefer it themselves) and will respect their CLIENT'S desire to keep their hair long!!

I also can't believe a stylist doesn't believe in silicones (what??:confused:) and would use a straightener in WET HAIR!!! Surely they ALL should be aware of how dangerous that is? I mean I bought one of those "wet to dry" straighteners, and told a friend who is a hairdresser about it and she bluntly told me to NEVER EVER EVER use it on wet hair, because that is just a complete bunch of BS and they're totally damaging to wet hair!!

spidermom
August 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
What I don't understand is how somebody can flat iron your hair against your will. You are allowed to say "no". You're even allowed to stand up and walk away.

Now that the damage is gone, hopefully you'll have an "oh my goodness; I can't believe it!" growth spurt. I hope you do. Happy growing!

MiamiPineapple
August 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I also had the same experience and I feel your pain. I did find a hair dresser that used to have waist length hair and lost it due to damage she did during beauty school. She has been growing her hair out for 2 years and truly values long hair. I will be going to her for a trim or doing ir myself from now on! Sorry to hear what happened :(

racrane
August 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. I had a hair horror story too (I think most of us here do) that the girl cut from hip to BSL that made me cry in the salon. Anyway, baby it, spoil it, think of the positives and really research who next is going to cut your hair. If you don't do it yourself.

selderon
August 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry your hair didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. I remember how frustrating and upsetting that can be at first. *hug*

First of all, I want you to take a deep breath and remind yourself that it is just hair. It doesn't contain your intelligence, your beauty or your character... and it grows back.

Second, I want to go over a few things I've observed about communicating with people who could change your appearance.

So I decided to go have a FEW layers cut in. I was very very VERY CLEAR I didn't want any length lost and I only wanted enough layers that if I blow it out (on cool ;) ) that it'd have that nice light flip. Seems reasonable, right? I mean as in just a light dust to clean it up and give it some movement if I decide to wear it down.
A lot of times when we think we're very clear, other people do too. Only they often think we've said something entirely different from what WE thought we said.

Next time, after you tell the stylist what you want and show her pictures (stylists tend to be strongly visual), make her show you with her fingers on your own hair where the shortest layer will be and where the longest layer will end. That way you have a better idea if what she heard is what you said.

SHE HACKED OFF 6 INCHES.
I suspect a light dusting wouldn't have created the movement ("nice light flip") you were looking for.

She then pulls out a flat iron which I then asked her politely to not use it on me. She ranted about nasa and ceramic crap and still used it!
:rollin: NASA? Seriously?

Some folks take more telling than others. This one may require very firm eye contact and a very firm (but polite) "Please don't flat iron my hair." Some folks figure if you don't flat out tell them "please don't" after they've told you about the wonderful space-age technology that is in the magic tool they want to use on your hair that you have changed your mind. They don't mean any harm, but they might do something you don't want them to do if you don't take control of the situation.

The moral of me posting this is salons are the plague.
No, sweetie. Poor communication is a plague. Fortunately, it is preventable. Besides being a good communicator yourself, it's very helpful to be able to spot less-skilled communicators and know how to compensate for their lack of skill.

She trashed long hair said it was gross and not "Sexy".
:( That was tactless of her. We know it's not true!

Anyone have a bad hack job that can offer advice on how to go about keeping it up? How to style it? How long it took you to grow it back out again?
Been there, done that. Not only have I had bad hair cuts (one woman cut a hole in my hair), I lost a random chunk in a stupid accident involving a gas pilot light at 2 a.m. (along with my eyebrows). It's not fun, but it is survivable. ;)

The good news is that maintaining it in good condition will likely be no different than what you were doing before. It was hair then and it is hair now. The cut didn't change its condition for the worse.

For styling ideas, pictures would be helpful. You may be about to experience some very exciting "hair down" days. And remember that some of LHC's hair gurus (habioku springs to mind) have layers.

As for how long it will take to grow back, the average is about half an inch a month.

***hug*** Enjoy this experience. It'll be so much more fun than stressing about it. I know you can do this!

redwoman
August 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Wow! That well and truly sucks. I wish you speedy growth and split free ends.

jersey
August 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I really appreciate all the condolences, thanks! I knew this would be the right place to go to rant about it. The only reason I didn't stand up and walk away from the flat iron is that she was trimming it (even through my consistent reminders "don't cut that") Even if it was short I didn't want to look ridiculous.

It just stinks because before I could very very easily put it up with a stick and now there are just big hunky pieces that are flying everywhere . I'm hoping this doesn't hinder my progress from me almost always having to wear it down in the near future. I really am just trying to focus on the fact that every split is gone and almost all the dye and when it hits hip again (hopefully soon) it'll be in a lot better condition then it was in. Trying to keep the outlook positive!

It stinks that so many of you have had to have such an awful experience. I will definitely be calling the salon manager tomorrow!

TheMechaGinger
August 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I got a crap hair cut from a salon in february. I lived with it for about two maybe three months and then chopped it all off up to the shortest layer in a fit of rage. I had bsl hair, and like you asked for some very modest layers that were longer in the back than in the front. I ended up with chin length layers at the back of my head (that angled down to the front and looked so stupid) and couldn't even put my hair up in a cinnabun. I was so pissed. When I cut it I think it was past shoulder but not really apl

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM
:grouphug: Keep us updated. I'm rooting for you!

jaine
August 20th, 2011, 09:19 PM
"A few layers" is a very ambiguous and vague thing to say to a hairdresser. If you want a specific outcome you have to give specific instructions.

MonaLisa
August 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM
had very similar experience...without flat iron tho..
well in several months from now...you can keep trimming the length and dusting those layers...and you will eventually have what you wanted at first place...long layers and hip length..
i'm speaking from experience...
hang in there!
you had a few months setback, but it's not end of the world...
hugs
i really feel for you :(

selderon
August 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The only reason I didn't stand up and walk away from the flat iron is that she was trimming it (even through my consistent reminders "don't cut that")
She was trimming WITH THE FLAT IRON IN HER HAND??? :confused: This may be a person who runs with scissors or drives with a teacup full of scalding tea. That's just wrong in so many ways. "Ma'am, step away from the chair and keep your hands where I can see them." :rollin:

It just stinks because before I could very very easily put it up with a stick and now there are just big hunky pieces that are flying everywhere. I'm hoping this doesn't hinder my progress from me almost always having to wear it down in the near future.
Hon, just because you have layers doesn't mean you can't wear your hair up. It is not going to behave like you're used to, but that does NOT mean you can't wear it up.

1. If you haven't learned the lace braid, learn it now. It's a fantastic tool for containing shorter layers.
2. If you haven't learned to do rag curls and you'd like to experiment with heat-free curls, now is a great time to do it!
3. Search for and/or start a thread asking for updos for layered hair (and be specific about where your longest and shortest layers are. It's going to take some research, but I bet once you get started you're going to be so excited about the new styles you find!

sarahbrownie
August 20th, 2011, 09:24 PM
A good stylist listens. Even if they believe differently they should do what you ask since you are paying her for her service not her opinion. Honestly I would have left if she continued to use a flat iron if you asked her not to. But just because they're is one bad apple in the batch doesn't mean all of them are. There are good, healthy longhair-friendly stylist out there! Some even on our board! :D

It's really easy to get layers in your hair, but you'll have to be fine with having it a little imperfect but it's the sacrifice for having control. I basically do this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMsun42Gqc&feature=relmfu) but with a banana clip. Warning, the models in the video are easily cutting 6+ inches off and get pretty violent with the scissors. Gives me the willies every time I see it, but it's basically the idea of it.

MissHair
August 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Very unfortunate that this happened. I had a similar experience spring of 2010 when I wanted to get a reasonable trim. She used a hair ''knife'' and hacked off the thickness of my hair because she thought my hair was ''too thick''.... She didnt even warn me that she was going to cut it off with this method. I had only strands left and it looked hideous. It took me a year to grow out the remaining layers of what she did to me.

jersey
August 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Oh my goodness I can't believe the amount of people that have had these careless weedwhacker hair cuts!

Just to clarify, I was clear on how long and where I wanted my layers I picked up strands and showed her and even sectioned off the bottom half of my hair and said "Don't touch this!". Didn't want to go too far into detail and bore everyone!

and Selderon, I'm actually pretty good with braids so I will have to start practicing with the tiny pieces now I guess :shrug:

:beerchug: to growing! I'll definitely be documenting my progess!

feralnature
August 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Your hair will grow and the haircut may seem quite nice after some time passes. I just say no to Edward Scissorhands!

UltraBella
August 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM
I am sorry you had this experience. She is obviously not the hairdresser for you. (Or maybe anyone for that matter, with her attitude.)

Layers can be a difficult thing because a) there are so many different ways to cut layers and b) stylists have very different skill levels and layers are difficult for some.

I would really be interested in what type of layers she ended up cutting. Can you post a pic ?

Also, wondering how the salon manager will respond. If there even IS a salon manager that has any control at all. If the stylist is a booth renter and not an employee, you will have to deal with her directly, as she is essentially her own boss.

pepperminttea
August 21st, 2011, 02:21 AM
Ouch, I hope you got her on a bad day, I'd hate to see her give the same "service" to everyone.

Bits poking out of updos is kind of the reality of updos and braids with layers I'm afraid, but some styles are kinder than others, and those bits poking out can give a gorgeous tousled effect. :) There's always a silver lining somewhere. Try tying off your braid higher up too, and lightly twisting the strands as you braid.

I'd also recommend trying self-trimming if you can't find someone you trust to trim your hair next time. I'm sure someone must have already linked you to Feye's self trim instructions, but just in case; here's a link! (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) :)

Lucky
August 21st, 2011, 02:34 AM
I'm more of a lurker here, but I did want to chime in and give my sympathies, a very similar experience happened to me about 3 weeks ago, I went from APL to above the shoulder with tons of choppy layers - like you Miss Hair, she also hacked my hair with a knife to take out thickness, which I still don't understand, my hair is so fine! Anyway, I understand the shock and emotion, I'm still kind of reeling after 3 weeks, I don't recognize myself in the mirror! I've put myself on an upped vitamin regimen (the effects of which are probably more psychosomatic than anything else, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something) and I've begun experimenting with castor oil to see if I can help encourage growth. And I'm pretty much just putting my hair up and trying to forget about it, but it's tough some days. Hang in there!

heartgoesboom
August 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'm so sorry jersey... Are you near nutley by any chance? I know a stylist who listens (when ever you need a trim.)

katienoonan
August 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
She was trimming WITH THE FLAT IRON IN HER HAND??? :confused: This may be a person who runs with scissors or drives with a teacup full of scalding tea. That's just wrong in so many ways. "Ma'am, step away from the chair and keep your hands where I can see them." :rollin:

Hahahaha, you just made me spit out tea from my nose.

To the OP, I posted on your profile but i'll leave this here...

Someone has already validly mentioned that although this is a setback, in a few months or so you will have exactly what you wanted, lovely barely-touched hair and long lower layers with that cutey 'flip'.. hang in there! xXXxXx

TrudieCat
August 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
"A few layers" is a very ambiguous and vague thing to say to a hairdresser. If you want a specific outcome you have to give specific instructions.

This. I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. :flower: Did you bring a picture? It's hard to know what kind of layers a person is looking for without a picture. I've had the sort of cut you're describing before - I asked for layers but I wanted to retain length, and the stylist cut a deep V shaped cut with only a few bits of hair that were actually still long. Because the cut was so deeply angled and the top layers were so short, it gave the impression of much shorter hair. But I don't think it was the stylist's fault, because she did do what I asked - I just wasn't specific enough about what I wanted.

Still sucks, though. :grouphug: But it will grow! And at least the damage is gone.

newbeginning
August 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
What terrible customer service skills. I would complain to the manager too. The stylist obviously didn't listen to you at all.

irishlady
August 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Oh I'm so sorry :(
This is exactly why I avoid stylists. I have yet to come across one that even knows how to comb hair properly, the way the last one brushed my poor hair...*face palm*

InTheCity
August 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Jersey, I am so sorry to hear this!
Anyone who blames communication and thinks it was preventable is only partially right - as they probably don't realize how QUICK this can happen.

In June I went in for some long layers too, and only wanted to lose 2-4" in length (I was at BSL) and in under 2.5 minutes, I had chin and collarbone hair! And this is a stylist I used to trust and deeply care for!

The only thing that is helping me through (aside from DH, who actually likes it this way) is looking back at old pictures of my hair when it was short like now, shorter than now and just a little bit longer than now but looking fantastic and healthy and thick after it had grown from a chop like this.

jersey
August 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'm so sorry jersey... Are you near nutley by any chance? I know a stylist who listens (when ever you need a trim.)

I'm about an hour away from there, but I do have a friend in that area so it wouldn't be so out of the way honestly.

UltraBella I can't get a picture right now but she seemed so confident in what she was saying! "I know exactly what you want" etc etc. Clearly not so much. She basically parted my hair around, flipped it over and chopped. It actually worked very nicely (the method itsself) but she cut it sooo short. from now on i'll just be doing that on myself and self trimming

I didn't bring a picture but i picked up pieces of hair and showed her exaclty where I wanted it cut and how I wanted it to sit

To everyone else I did call the salon and I told them what happened and they didn't seem to upset by it so I guess I just know where I'm avoiding now....

I just feel its shorter and shorter every time I look at it. Blech.

Mesmerise
August 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm about an hour away from there, but I do have a friend in that area so it wouldn't be so out of the way honestly.

UltraBella I can't get a picture right now but she seemed so confident in what she was saying! "I know exactly what you want" etc etc. Clearly not so much. She basically parted my hair around, flipped it over and chopped. It actually worked very nicely (the method itsself) but she cut it sooo short. from now on i'll just be doing that on myself and self trimming

I didn't bring a picture but i picked up pieces of hair and showed her exaclty where I wanted it cut and how I wanted it to sit

To everyone else I did call the salon and I told them what happened and they didn't seem to upset by it so I guess I just know where I'm avoiding now....

I just feel its shorter and shorter every time I look at it. Blech.

I think this is the problem... You describe what you want, and somehow the hairdresser gets a TOTALLY different picture in her mind and thinks SHE knows what you want when it's actually very different!

I mean, you actually showed her the length you wanted the layers, and she still managed to get them waaaay shorter.

Sometimes not even showing a picture works, either :rolleyes:.

I remember taking my sister to get her hair cut in a "shaggy bob" (this was the 80s lol) and I had a picture of this hairstyle. It was like a bob but had some shorter bits randomly around to give it the shaggy look.

Well my sister came out with spiked hair and a mullet!!!!!! WTH? How did it even SLIGHTLY resemble the picture?? It was heavily layered all the way up. Then, when I suggested she may as well cut the back short (to get rid of the MULLET) she said "Oh, I didn't want to take off too much length!). Heck, my sister had hair that stuck straight up on top, and the hairdresser was worried about taking too much off the LENGTH??

But yeah...I have found that you can describe what you want clearly, even show a picture, and end up with something completely different. I described "long layers" in my hair and ended up with a THICK chunky chin length layer. That is NOT long layers (and I also said I didn't want too much layering, so I wanted the layers to be lighter layers, with most of the weight the length of the hair). But nope, it didn't happen... Sometimes I think the only thing you can do is bring along a trusted friend who is willing to question the hairdresser's every movement (especially when they're behind you and you can't see what they're doing... or sitting there with your glasses off like me and have no idea what's going on).

selderon
August 21st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Jersey, I am so sorry to hear this!
Anyone who blames communication and thinks it was preventable is only partially right - as they probably don't realize how QUICK this can happen.

No, all the stylists I have ever met looked like this. http://www.oocities.org/hollywood/set/1478/sloth20052small.jpg

LOL Yes, I'm kidding.

UltraBella I can't get a picture right now but she seemed so confident in what she was saying! "I know exactly what you want" etc etc. Clearly not so much.
Now you know that when people seem to understand that doesn't mean they DO understand. It's unfair, I suppose, but those of us who are better communicators (e.g. you) have to make extra effort to prevent the deficiencies of those whose communication skills aren't so great (e.g. Miss Runs-With-Scissors) from creating results we didn't plan on. And now you're better at that than you were before!

To everyone else I did call the salon and I told them what happened and they didn't seem to upset by it so I guess I just know where I'm avoiding now...
Their lack of emotional response aside, did they offer to do anything about it? You talked to the manager, yes?

jojo
August 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM
Oh my goodness what a horrible experience. Id report them to their superiors. Sorry you experienced this and I hope your hair fights back with super growth.