PDA

View Full Version : Spin pins - how many do you use per bun?

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I noticed that Boots (UK high street chemist) stocks Goody spin pins. However, they're rather extortionately priced (£5 for a pack with only two pins in! - and they're much tinier pins than I thought they'd be). So, I'm debating - buy the 'real deal' in a nice bricks-and-mortar shop or buy the faux ones online where they're SO much cheaper and the only visible downside is that they don't come in blonde.

So, how many spin pins do you usually use in a bun? I'm thinking maybe a simple cinnabun as the 'standard' sort of spin pin-requiring bun.

If you could click the poll but then also post saying no. of spin pins, bun type and, crucially, hair thickness, hair texture and hair length, that'd be awesome. ^_^

Just for reference, I'm a 1b/F/ii-iii (i.e. 1/8th of an inch off a iii at last measurement) and approx. 1 inch off fingertip. So, my buns are pretty big. A plaited cinnabun twisted very flat almost completely eats my 4 faux Amish pins that are maybe 3 1/2 or 4 inches long (made out of double pointed knitting needles).

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I use the short ones for now but I suppose at some point my buns will be big enough I'll need the longer ones. I experienced some sticker shock the first time I saw them in the store and I kept walking but went back the next week and picked them up realizing that they are not like bobby pins which get bent out of shape and thrown out, so they are more like hair sticks only they aren't meant to be seen in the finished updo. Once I made that realization, they were well worth the money.

freckles
August 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM
2 pins holds my hair nicely in most buns -- cinnabun, lazy wrap (if one pin is very carefully positioned to hold the crucial parts of a lazy wrap and keep its shape), braided buns -- I can get two pins to hold a folded braid, too, if I'm careful. So I voted two.

Though actually, if my hair isn't freshly washed/slippery, I can hold a messy cinna-bee-but thing with just one, in a pinch.

My type is written there
<- of course :) But it's 1b/F/ii.
My thickness -- I measured again yesterday -- is right right at 3", exactly in the middle of the ii category. I have some taper though so it is nowhere near 3" all the way down. eta: And my hair is around hip length.

sun-kissed
August 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have thin hair, and so I use a 3 pack of Goody mini-SpinPins for one bun; the larger pins are far too big. I can also use the mini's for three mini buns, and they holds pretty well.

ravenreed
August 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I use the short ones for half-ups or double buns, otherwise I use the long ones. I typically use 3 in a bun. I can get away with two, but I prefer to pin all the layers I can.

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ah, I think I'm seeing the issue I've been having. I didn't know there were small and large versions and I suspect I may have seen the small version in Boots (it was a small shop, there were only 2 brown and 1 blonde packet left).

For those of you who've seen both types, what is the length of the small/large ones? I've been looking on Goody's website but can't seem to find that info.

See, I'd be up for buying 2 spin pins, no problem. I'd buy 4 pins. However, if we're talking 6+ then I might consider buying the cheaper versions online...

(Also, for all the other UK LHCers, Goody spin pins are apparently now not only available in Boots but also in Asda and Morrisons! Awesome. ^_^)

EDIT: Also Superdrug and Claire's Accessories, apparently.

Bonny
August 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I use the large version and 3 or 4 will hold a cinnabun for me, securely enough for ballet class. If it's a nautilus bun, I can get away with 2.

My hair is on the thick side of ii/iii (about 3.75" pony circumference) and about hip length.

ETA: I should note that my hair is not slippery - that may be a factor as well.

QMacrocarpa
August 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I would use two for a flipped bun, but perhaps four to anchor a big sock bun really solidly. I don't do cinnamon buns much, so I'm not sure how many I'd use for that, 2-3, perhaps. When I got mine they were pretty deeply on sale, buy-one-get-one-free I think.

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ok... more internetting proves that the mini spin pins come in packs of 3 whereas the normal-sized ones are in packs of 2. So, it was the normal sized ones I saw.

However, voting currently seems to indicate that 4 are perfectly adequate even for thick/extra-long/awkward hair. So... yet another thing to buy, I guess. :p

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I use 4 of the regular ones for a lazy wrap bun.I plan to buy 2 mini ones for my half up in a bun.

gracenotes
August 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I use four of the regular ones. Depending on the bun, sometimes I can use just two, but four makes buns very stable for me. I mostly use them to secure my sleep bun (braided bun on top of my head), and they work perfectly.

Narya
August 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I've had luck with 2 regular ones on most buns, though for cinnabuns I have to use a bobbypin to keep the first coil in the center from "bulging" out of the bun, KWIM?

My hair is fine and slippery, 2c ii, TBL, with a lot of taper: for the flatter buns (cinnabun) I need some extra help or they end up looking wonky, but for hypno buns and similar, more sturdier ones (for me, at least) 2 regular sized spin pins work perfectly well!

selderon
August 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I use two regular spin pins for a bun. I've got 1b-ish/M-C/iii hair.

AnnaJamila
August 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I use about four of them in cinnamon buns- I have about 4 less inches than you, my hair is 1b/m/ii-iii and they work wonderfully! I have a LOT of slip in my hair and the ends still poke out after wearing these for a while but I've never found a way to prevent that! :p

pepperminttea
August 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I use 3-4 for a bun, so two packs. :)

Turtle
August 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I only own two so far, but I really love the results. I still usually have to use two or three bobby pins along with them though. I have a feeling that if I bought another two pins, 4 would be enough to hold all my hair in a bun. My hair is not slippery at all and tends to stay in up-do's pretty well.

Lollipop
August 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Spin pins took me a while to master. When Ibought them, I spent a few weeks using two pins trying to do a cinnabun, and within a month of daily use I could consistently and securely pin my hair. The first tries kept felling apart, even with both pins. After a few months, I lost one of my pins and reverted to holding up my almost-BSL hair in a secure cinnabun with one, well-placed pin. I eventually got a second pack of pins for my peace of mind while I do sports. So I went back to two, and my old pin turned up on the dining room floor, so I have a set of back up pins.

So yeah, two is plenty, but one will do.

Melon Collie
August 20th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I use two for my bun, but I'm thinking I may have to get another pack of the larger pins once I even my hemline up.

Cassie 123
August 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
As a shortie (24") I only need 2 for a cinnabun. I'm 2a-c, M-C, 3.5" pony. But they are my new favorite hairtoys, and I love them so much that I bought extras just in case I lose one (the kind of thing I am prone to doing). I haven't tried any other brands but I do think the Goody ones are well worth the money.

ETA: I am not actually a pony.

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM
1 now love spin pins!! you can do buns regular or braided,half up in a bun,half up in a twist with a pony,french twist,a full pony with a twist, a gibson top of the head bun, and lots of other styles! These things really work and to think 1 almost threw them away when they didn't work initially for me..

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I bought spin pins and cannot get them to hold a cinnabun as securely as sticks. Anyone have tips for dummies?

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 09:00 PM
When 1 used two it didn't hold my buns securely,when 1 went to using four at a time,then my buns held.Try adding two more extra if you're only using two now.Also are you using the mini size,maybe you need the full size ones.

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
How can I tell if mine are mini or not?

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
The package says "mini' on it,if it doesn't, then it's regular size.

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
1f you don't have the package just bring one of yours to the store,find a mini package and a regular and compare to each.The front of the package has clear plastic so you can see the spin pin length inside.

mallorykay13
August 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I think I have the regular ones then. I would remember a mini and would have avoided it.

GRU
August 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have the regular length ones, and you can see my hair stats under my avatar.

However, in spite of the fact that I only *need* two of them, I currently own 4-5 packets, plus a set of the cheap knock-offs from China.

Why so many? In case they ever decide to stop producing them, I have spares! :D

dulce
August 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Smart idea!!!1 might do the same!

dulce
August 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
Just a note,1 found these spin pins in a dry bun for an hour or so, make the nicest bun waves 1 have found so far.

sycamoreboutiqu
August 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM
I can get a regular bun ( a cinnabun is where it is just twisted a bit and wrapped around ?) to hold with two regular ones and a few regular hair pins.

What do we call the old fashioned hair pins anyway, the U shaped ones with zig zags ?.

BUT - I find that they become painful after a few hours and I usually take them out. Now sticks and just pins (don't use bobby pins, they can't hold the volume) don't do that unless I positioned them really bad.

I can't seem to get the spin pins put in in such a way that they stay comfortable. It is almost like they are TOO secure, and pull a bit.

Anyone else have this issue ? Any solution to it ?

dulce
August 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Maybe your bun is twisted too tight when you apply the pins? 1 do a fairly loosely twisted bun and never had pulling.Just a thought.

charalito
August 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
One packet seems to do the trick for me. Either the regular size (2 pins) or the mini (3 pins).

mallorykay13
August 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe your bun is twisted too tight when you apply the pins? 1 do a fairly loosely twisted bun and never had pulling.Just a thought.

Hmm, I will try this.

Panth
August 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
How can I tell if mine are mini or not?

1) The package says mini on it

2) The mini ones are 3 to a pack, not 2 to a pack.

Of course, that only holds true for Goody spin pins, not the knock-off brands on the internet. My reading yesterday implied that most of the Chinese knock-offs are a tad smaller (shorter) than the normal Goody ones, but not as small as Goody's mini ones.

mallorykay13
August 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
1) The package says mini on it

2) The mini ones are 3 to a pack, not 2 to a pack.

Of course, that only holds true for Goody spin pins, not the knock-off brands on the internet. My reading yesterday implied that most of the Chinese knock-offs are a tad smaller (shorter) than the normal Goody ones, but not as small as Goody's mini ones.

Yea. I got 2 goody brand ones in my pack so they would be regular sized then.

Panth
August 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses so far. Not to preclude anyone else from answering, as other people might benefit from the info as I have, but I think I have decided.

So, next time I'm in town with some spare time I'll be trying to find 2 packets of blonde coloured spin pins. I find it reassuring that (with one exception) no one needed more than 4 pins, which I was willing to buy at that price.

Although, pink.sara, if you'd mind putting a post saying about your experience with spin pins that'd be utterly awesome cause it'd be nice to hear from one of the rare people who needs masses.

EDIT: Also, AnnaJamila you've just reminded me! Really need to remeasure and update that length. I have a feeling 35" was either 5 months or 10 months ago ... either way it's not that any more. Tis just I don't really measure regularly. I'm pretty patient and I can see the growth as it gets closer and closer to fingertip. ^_^

littlestarface
August 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
2 spin pins works great for my hair and I have thick long hair.

lizdini
August 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
I use 1 for a standard throw-it-up-and-forget-it type bun. It works well, but my hair is only apl and much thinner than it used to be.

dulce
August 21st, 2011, 04:09 PM
1 suspect how many you need to use is not always linked to thickness or length but texture.1 have very very slippery hair and two is not enough for me yet others with much thicker and longer can get away with two.

Alaia
August 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
I got one pack of the normal size ones (btw they do come in blonde, I got the blonde ones). By normal, I mean not the mini ones.

I think they are well worth the &#163;5 as I use just the two of them to hold up my buns. I haven't been able to make them work with more than cinnabuns.

I have very slippery straight hair and two is fine for me at waist and before I had my cut, when I was at tailbone.

jojo
August 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
2 for me, sometimes only 1, my hair is just touching hip

dulce
August 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM
1t may also be related to the tightness of bun or technique inserting the pins as to why 1 need 4 pins yet my hair is not that thick or super long?

Ishje
August 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
I use 2 packets, but maybe it would be better if I would use 3 packets because it feels a bit unsteady sometimes.

littlenvy
August 22nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
haha! I LOVE these things! But my hair is so thin I only need one to hold the whole thing.
There is no '1' in the poll.

dulce
August 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
It just goes to show,use the number of spin pins that works best for your hair.It's something only you can figure out.

MissManda
August 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
They don't seem to be selling the Goody ones in my area, unfortunately, but they do have the knock-off Conair Pin Twirls. I bought a pack of 3 pins for $5 today. I haven't gotten much of a chance to experiment with them yet, but they did hold my quick, messy cinnabun very well. I seem to need all three, but that might be because I'm not experienced with them yet. Two hold okay, but the bun still feels a little unstable.

My hair is thick and fine with a straightish texture. I'm currently at BSL with very blunt ends in a U/V shape. :)

Juneii
August 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
heh, I am a spin pin junkie it seems. I have 7 in total. Two packets of the regular size (4) and one of the mini size (3). I use all of them to do my folded braid 'do - currently my go to style for the summer :)

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
For my top nautilus, 2 or 3. For any other bun on the back of my head, 2 should suffice.

Hollyfire3
March 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I use the large version and 3 or 4 will hold a cinnabun for me, securely enough for ballet class. If it's a nautilus bun, I can get away with 2.

My hair is on the thick side of ii/iii (about 3.75" pony circumference) and about hip length.

ETA: I should note that my hair is not slippery - that may be a factor as well.

What is considered ii/ii hair?

Bonny
March 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hi Hollyfire3,

I guess that was a typo! I should have written:

My hair is on the thick side of ii (about 3.75" pony circumference) ...

I have ii/iii as my hair thickness, meaning it's in the ii category but pretty close to iii.

kme81
March 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I have three small and two large spin pins that I found on sale at half-price! I have been known to use all of them for only one bun...but then I have also used only two or three! I have the blonde ones...they are super cool and hold like a rock!

long&blonde
March 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'd guess-timate the large spin pins at two inchs long?

highlightedmess
March 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I bought some of these a few weeks ago and I finally tried them out tonight. My hair is thin and shoulder length so I only needed one mini pin. I could have used two to catch some of the loose end pieces though. I think I officially have the world's tiniest bun!

Mountaingrrl
March 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I usually use two. My hair is 29", coarse and thick with a natural taper. I tend to use the spin pins for chignons and cinnamon buns.

MissManda
March 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I'd guess-timate the large spin pins at two inchs long?

I don't own the Goody ones, but the ones i have are 2.5" long. :flower: I think the large Goody ones are about the same.

I need six spin pins for buns like a cinnabun or the seashell bun, while I need less for a braided bun. I have super-slippery Houdini hair. :p

kionkichin
March 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
I have thick hair, so i have to use 3-4 pins if i want to secure the hair in a bun

mamaherrera
May 21st, 2015, 02:05 PM
I'm a m/c 3.75 pony, with layers and the longest layer at "almost hip" but I can get away with just one, if I"m just hanging around the house, but I'm sure it wouldn't be enough if I went running or something like that. I think it's how you twist and how you anchor it just right. But there 's been many days that one keeps it all anchored up all day for just a normal wrap around bun. But mine isn't that big (guess my hair compacts a lot) so one keeps it all together.

quirkybookworm
May 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM
I really want to try these, and I actually have two that my aunt bought me for Christmas, but they freak me out a bit! I've heard horror stories of people getting them locked together. :scared:

gthlvrmx
May 21st, 2015, 07:17 PM
I really want to try these, and I actually have two that my aunt bought me for Christmas, but they freak me out a bit! I've heard horror stories of people getting them locked together. :scared:

Horror stories? Really? I never had a problem with my spin pins. I remember reading some people say their spin pins somehow twisted on itself. I do remember the box the pins come in says to not interlock the spin pins! Simple instructions right there, of course so just avoid that and you should be safe.

Jorja
May 22nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LTMBCGO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
I got these on Amazon to the UK - recommended as they are just as good as the more expensive ones and don't have sharp ends (and are cheap!). Not sure if they do the ones for blonde hair too.,***

I tend to use around 6 as the buns I use them for are spirals of 2 braids, so I pin each braid per 'lap'. As long as I put them in a different position, they don't lock together. I can't do a cinnabun with a stick, but I've just learnt to do it with spin pins, pinning a bit of the spiral as I wrap. I love spin pins.

*** edited to add, yes they do blonde ones, I should read my own link properly lol.

Larki
May 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
I have six blonde spin pins, and I generally use 3-4 for a bun. I can usually get the bun to hold with just one, but it's not secure enough to leave the house like that.

missfaroe
May 22nd, 2015, 11:07 AM
I voted for 4 spin pins, but sometimes i only need 3 :)
My hair is a little past waist length and medium thickness :o

quirkybookworm
May 22nd, 2015, 04:42 PM
A friend of mine managed to interlock them, somehow, and they would not come out. Someone ended up having to cut the top of the pin - and that didn't work because they were stuck together in the middle so she basically had to rip them free and, in doing so, she ripped out/broke off a good amount of hair. I've also heard of other people getting them interlocked, and getting them completely tangled in their hair to the point that they wouldn't/couldn't come out.

They look great, and easy - as long as you don't accidentally lock them together. I need to just suck it up and try them, because I'm sure that once I do - I'll like them.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 22nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
I normally use 4. I have the small and the large ones but tend to use the large ones more often.

Agnieszka
May 23rd, 2015, 04:39 AM
Shoulder blades very fine hair here and I need two small ones. My hair is very slippery.

roseomalley
May 23rd, 2015, 07:16 AM
I have fine, thin, slippery hair. I can use one large and one small in my Cinnabon. My hair is just past APL.

cat11
May 23rd, 2015, 07:52 AM
I only need to use spin pins to say, hold my ends together in a chinese bun or something, and in that case 1 does the job. i use forks and sticks to actually hold my hair so unless you were using them to hold the entire updo I'd say you only need 1-2. And I have III midback length hair

Saldana
May 23rd, 2015, 06:56 PM
I actually use 3 of the long pins for my 1a/b M ii hair, right now it's right at BSL. But I am still growing out layers, so I need the extra 'grab' of the 3rd pin. If I didn't have the layers, I could probably do it with two long spin pins. However, my hair is heavy, so when it gets to waist length AND the layers are gone, I'll probably need at least three, and probably four, to distribute the weight.

I know there's a bit of 'sticker shock' with the cost of them, but personally, I think they're worth it - they hold my hair like nothing else does, and they don't pull (which is super important to me). And they do last for a long time, they're strong.

maborosi
May 24th, 2015, 12:04 AM
The minis? Probably 6-8 because my hair is very slippy and smooth. The regulars usually 2-4 depending on the bun.

GRU
May 25th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I have weaved the Spin Pins into each other before, and you just "unscrew" them just like you normally would -- you just need a bit more pressure if they're rubbing against each other.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to actually RIP them straight out -- you screw them in, you unscrew them out. If you can't get enough of a grip on it to turn it when interlocked, you could have someone help you with pliers to hold the end. But I've never had them get so intertwined that I couldn't unscrew them... plus you can feel it as they are getting stuck in each other as you insert them -- you just stop, reverse it back out, adjust your position a bit and reinsert.

It's not that big a deal.

JustPam
May 25th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I use a cheap brand (Sienna) from Bodycare, you get 2 for £2-something and they are about 1.5" long.

For my standard knot bun I usually use 1 (as well as a hairtie at the base), except if I need it super solid for like going to the gym, then I use 2. My hair is 31.5" with layers, 2.5" ponytail circumference, in the 1-range, depending on how it dries. My hair is kinda slippery, at least the virgin part is, but it's never spat out a spin pin, bobby pins yes.

cat11
May 25th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I have weaved the Spin Pins into each other before, and you just "unscrew" them just like you normally would -- you just need a bit more pressure if they're rubbing against each other.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to actually RIP them straight out -- you screw them in, you unscrew them out. If you can't get enough of a grip on it to turn it when interlocked, you could have someone help you with pliers to hold the end. But I've never had them get so intertwined that I couldn't unscrew them... plus you can feel it as they are getting stuck in each other as you insert them -- you just stop, reverse it back out, adjust your position a bit and reinsert.

It's not that big a deal.
I second this, Ive also had it happen. I thought maybe they were even supposed to. It holds quite well.

mamaherrera
June 17th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I have a question for you all. I did two english braids and then made little buns with them at my nape, but with my two large spin pins, they hold it,but I don't like the fact the ends of the spin pins are sticking out at the bottom of my bun. maybe I just don't have enough hair to use the large for such a style? My daughter has way shorter hair than me, but if if she did this style, her hair would eat up the whole spin pin!

gthlvrmx
June 17th, 2015, 08:13 PM
I have a question for you all. I did two english braids and then made little buns with them at my nape, but with my two large spin pins, they hold it,but I don't like the fact the ends of the spin pins are sticking out at the bottom of my bun. maybe I just don't have enough hair to use the large for such a style? My daughter has way shorter hair than me, but if if she did this style, her hair would eat up the whole spin pin!

There are also mini spin pins sold at Wal-Mart or at your local drug store. They work well with smaller buns.

mary*rose
June 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM
I have medium thickness, mid-thigh length hair and I can get two spin pins (the regular length) to hold up a cinnabun.

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I have never used spin pins before, and I'm not really sure I want to...I saw some at wal-mart today, and something about them isn't quite appealing to me, not sure why, but I can be picky sometimes and I prefer Amish type pins. :)

mamaherrera
June 17th, 2015, 09:56 PM
There are also mini spin pins sold at Wal-Mart or at your local drug store. They work well with smaller buns.

thanks--might have to try those. For me, it also depends on where I place them, because at my nape, it's like there is nothing to attach them to.

mamaherrera
June 17th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I have never used spin pins before, and I'm not really sure I want to...I saw some at wal-mart today, and something about them isn't quite appealing to me, not sure why, but I can be picky sometimes and I prefer Amish type pins. :)

I love amish pins, when I look at them, and I bought all different sizes, but now I can't get them to hold securely. It seems like nothing I use (except for jaw clips) stay securely in my hair, it's like they don't have enough "firmness" in my hair to anchor to. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it because my hair isn't "dense" but mostly "airy"/poofy so there's not enough "stuff" to hold on to?? Or is it my technique?? don't get it, but it's very frustrating. I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my hair.

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2015, 10:23 PM
I love amish pins, when I look at them, and I bought all different sizes, but now I can't get them to hold securely. It seems like nothing I use (except for jaw clips) stay securely in my hair, it's like they don't have enough "firmness" in my hair to anchor to. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it because my hair isn't "dense" but mostly "airy"/poofy so there's not enough "stuff" to hold on to?? Or is it my technique?? don't get it, but it's very frustrating. I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my hair.
Hmm, I'm not sure. I recently got my Amish pins actually and I just love them because I have never had pins that held in so well before and were so sturdy (I had some pins for a while that are similar, but not quite as strong). I have very thick hair though, so I tend to wrap my hair around until it is firm and then push them in with a weaving motion. Are you not able to get your hair to wrap around until it is firm before placing them in? I can see how that might make it a little harder with it being airy/poofy, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I often times though braid my hair in a firm braid and then wrap it into a knot bun before putting in the Amish pins, so maybe a braided knot bun might help if you are able to do that with your hair? :)

mamaherrera
June 18th, 2015, 12:53 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure. I recently got my Amish pins actually and I just love them because I have never had pins that held in so well before and were so sturdy (I had some pins for a while that are similar, but not quite as strong). I have very thick hair though, so I tend to wrap my hair around until it is firm and then push them in with a weaving motion. Are you not able to get your hair to wrap around until it is firm before placing them in? I can see how that might make it a little harder with it being airy/poofy, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I often times though braid my hair in a firm braid and then wrap it into a knot bun before putting in the Amish pins, so maybe a braided knot bun might help if you are able to do that with your hair? :)

maybe that will work. I've tried it before with two braided buns, on each side, but the pins just pop right back out at me. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's like I can't find any way to keep my hair secured. It's got enough texure, it's just not enough hair.

elea
June 18th, 2015, 02:09 AM
worth buying quality ones
boots ones are really good
as how many: you will find that if 1 goes through the base of the bun, that is all you need
tip: do not cross them if you use 2
happy spinning

ravenreed
June 18th, 2015, 04:23 AM
I find the crinkled style of Amish pins work better for me than the straight ones. The straight ones have a tendency to migrate out slowly over time.

maybe that will work. I've tried it before with two braided buns, on each side, but the pins just pop right back out at me. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's like I can't find any way to keep my hair secured. It's got enough texure, it's just not enough hair.

LadyLongLocks
June 22nd, 2015, 09:31 PM
6 work for me. I am still experimenting with them. They are the full size goody brand ones for blonde hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 26th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I love my spin pins. I need 2-3 but I can get away with 1 if I make a tight enough bun.
I interlock them all the time... i just remember which ones i put in first/last and reverse the order when I take them out.
crossing my pins has never been an issue. ever.

Simsy
November 26th, 2016, 11:27 PM
I only have 3 pins but they definitely hold.

Alex Lou
November 27th, 2016, 12:08 AM
I use 1 per bun and it can hold for 2 days or more. When doing something really active (ie nerf gun tag) I use 2 for a really firm hold.

I came across a sale some time back at the local CVS where they were like $1 per pack and I bought a bunch so I can freely misplace them and find them again without running out. They are the dark color and my hair's not dark, but who cares. The original ones I bought had the finish wear off and have the bare metal show anyway. I have some of the mini ones too, which I find to be absolutely useless.

Cg
November 27th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I use spin pins as an adjunct to some other anchor. Alone they are insufficient to hold a bun for me.

Arctic
November 27th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I use 3 or even 4. It's funny, it's not that long ago when I couldn't even hide 2 of them under my bun. :) I like to interlock mine, I've never had any problems with that, and the package on the brand I buy does not say not to interlock.

My hair is about APL (56 cm) long, lower side of ii thickness (about 6,2-6,4 cm), mostly M-C I think. I have waves and straight bits, quite a bit of textured wiry and kinky hairs. My hair doesn't compact much.

vampyyri
November 27th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Definitely 4, might need to pick up another pack in the near future though.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 27th, 2016, 11:29 PM
For anyone who wants to buy some -- i bought these off amazon https://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Compact-Construction-Designed-Especially/dp/B008TN1Z9U/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480314424&sr=8-3&keywords=spin+pins

The ends are obviously cut with wire cutters and are blunt, bad for hair. Sharp. But i went over them with black nail polish and they look exactly like the more expensive goody/conair versions.

JustPam
November 28th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Reading these replies, I feel like mine being able to stay up with just 1 (and a skinny hairtie) is some kind of witchcraft haha!

Groovy Granny
November 28th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I love spin pins :love:

I have plain ones for a hidden hold when using hair toys, and others with toppers (3 & 4 inch) from TheTwistedCalontiri (https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTwistedCalontiri) that I use for half up buns, full buns, and twists.

vampyyri
November 28th, 2016, 02:03 PM
For anyone who wants to buy some -- i bought these off amazon https://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Compact-Construction-Designed-Especially/dp/B008TN1Z9U/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480314424&sr=8-3&keywords=spin+pins

The ends are obviously cut with wire cutters and are blunt, bad for hair. Sharp. But i went over them with black nail polish and they look exactly like the more expensive goody/conair versions.

Well by golly that sure beats my dollar tree ones that come with two! :agape:

I have a bad feeling that if I get so many, it'll get to the point where I am with my hair ties... I have so many so I'm "allowed" to lose some :lol:

Alex Lou
November 30th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Reading these replies, I feel like mine being able to stay up with just 1 (and a skinny hairtie) is some kind of witchcraft haha!

Ikr? I figure it's the way we're doing our buns... works with the spin pins for a better hold. Under no circumstances would I need more than 2 with the way I do my buns.

Arctic
November 30th, 2016, 10:24 AM
^ I have shortish hair, layers and my buns are poofy, so I can use the 3-4 easily to make my buns neater.

emilia1992
December 2nd, 2016, 05:09 AM
I have waist-length hair, and I need my buns to stay put during ballet (fast pirouettes can unravel a bun faster than hands!!!). I use four spin pins. I bought mine at Poundland, where they're £1 for 2 pins! Sometimes my bun comes undone anyway, but if I use more than 4 pins, it feels like the pins 'lock' onto each other and can become too heavy/uncomfortable.

JustPam
December 3rd, 2016, 03:51 AM
Ikr? I figure it's the way we're doing our buns... works with the spin pins for a better hold. Under no circumstances would I need more than 2 with the way I do my buns.

I usually do the same bun (knot) and 1 pin is enough to hold it up for a full day at work, if I'm going to the gym I would add a few bobbies around the outside to hold the edges down.