PDA

View Full Version : Ideal comb for *wet* detangling?

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've been looking at (and terribly impressed by) horn combs, but I've read that you're not supposed to get them wet. My hair is curly, and I only ever comb it when it is sopping wet because otherwise it floofs horribly. I like the idea of horn, especially for natural oil distribution (I'm water only :)), but if I can't use it when my hair is wet I can't use it at all. What are my other options for a gentle, seam-free detangling comb? Is the prohibition against combing with horn while hair is wet a bit overstated? Is every horn comb different?

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Oh-- I also never brush my hair these days. I used to use a boar bristle brush when I heat-straightened my hair, but I haven't done that in years so it hasn't come up. I learned the hard way that using a BBB on wet hair was a bad idea (UGH, the stench!) and using it while my hair is dry and curly is just a waste of time and energy as well as a major source of floof. :o If there are other curl-friendly options for maximum natural oil distribution, I would *love* to hear about them.

Anje
August 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hairsense's resin "bone" combs are probably ideal. (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php) They're waterproof and seamless.

silverjen
August 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I use my horn combs on wet hair all the time, without problems. I wipe them dry on my towel after I'm done. You just need to avoid leaving them sitting wet for a long time. Brief exposure is no problem.

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM
IMO, likely some sort of plastic/resin comb. You may need to remove the seams and any other rough spots with fine sandpaper or a sharp knife, though.

Wooden ones shouldn't be used on wet hair (damp hair is ok, soaking/dripping hair is not) as it raises the grain, resulting in areas that can catch on the hair. It can also lead to warping of the comb.

Horn ones, as you say, are also not good on wet hair. As well as any fears for damaging the comb, I believe some people have reported horn combs smelling bad when wet.

Madora
August 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
IMO, likely some sort of plastic/resin comb. You may need to remove the seams and any other rough spots with fine sandpaper or a sharp knife, though.

Wooden ones shouldn't be used on wet hair (damp hair is ok, soaking/dripping hair is not) as it raises the grain, resulting in areas that can catch on the hair. It can also lead to warping of the comb.

Horn ones, as you say, are also not good on wet hair. As well as any fears for damaging the comb, I believe some people have reported horn combs smelling bad when wet.

Yes, resin combs are ideal, provided the teeth are wide spaced enough and you've removed any sharp, rough areas.

Horn combs can break.

Kristin
August 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hairsense's resin "bone" combs are probably ideal. (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php) They're waterproof and seamless.

I agree. Have one. Love it and use it for wet detangling.

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM

Oh, brilliant! Thanks, I knew someone would know! :D

In2wishin
August 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I use my Tangle Teezer to detangle wet hair. I have horn combs and have used them on wet hair with no problems. I prefer the TT though.

monsterna
August 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I use a Speert (http://www.speert.com/combs-products.cfm?SubCategory=Handmade%20Combs) comb. It's seamless and has been great.

chickpea
August 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I use a Speert (http://www.speert.com/combs-products.cfm?SubCategory=Handmade%20Combs) comb. It's seamless and has been great.

Speert combs are wonderful! I had the #16 (http://www.speert.com/closeup.cfm?item=16&cfpage=combs-products.cfm&startrow=11&SubCategory=Handmade%20Combs&readingpower=&sort=13) comb years ago but lost it. I use my Madora comb in the shower to detangle when it's full of conditioner. It works well but is a little awkward to use because there's no handle. I may just have to get a replacement for the Speert comb. :wacko:

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I use my Tangle Teezer to detangle wet hair. I have horn combs and have used them on wet hair with no problems. I prefer the TT though.

I thought the Tangle Teezer was a brush?

gracenotes
August 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I use a Mason Pearson detangling comb and it's wonderful. It has absolutely no rough edges and it's incredibly sturdy. In general, they're a little pricy, but sometimes they'll have them on sale on Amazon--that's how I got mine. :)

In2wishin
August 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I thought the Tangle Teezer was a brush?

It is, but it detangles wet hair better than any comb I've tried and with less breakage too.

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
It is, but it detangles wet hair better than any comb I've tried and with less breakage too.

It looks pretty cool, but I'm kind of terrified of brushes in general. :o

IanB
August 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
The best detangling comb I've found is a wooden wide toothed comb from the Body Shop here in the UK - find it at www.thebodyshop.co.uk

McFearless
August 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I use a plastic wide toothed comb from Sally's.

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
The best detangling comb I've found is a wooden wide toothed comb from the Body Shop here in the UK - find it at www.thebodyshop.co.uk (http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk)

I can't imagine that using a wooden comb on wet hair is a good idea. Am I missing something?

McFearless, that's what I'm using now. :) I see that you also have 3b curls (yay!)-- do you find that the comb snares a bit in your hair? My own hair is extremely fine, which is one of the reasons I'm looking for something seamless to replace the one I have now.

McFearless
August 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
McFearless, that's what I'm using now. :) I see that you also have 3b curls (yay!)-- do you find that the comb snares a bit in your hair? My own hair is extremely fine, which is one of the reasons I'm looking for something seamless to replace the one I have now.

I have this one. http://www.sallybeauty.com/mini-comb/SBS-345647,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10

Its smooth all over and I haven't have a problem with the plastic balls though I've heard people say they are bad. I can only comb my hair in the shower under a stream of water section by section. The comb does get trapped in my hair and I wonder if its because the comb is so flat. Would round teeth work better? Hmm...

Angel_Abby
August 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I use a very wide toothed rubber comb. I got it at walmart. I am on dialup right now or I would find a picture of it. Its great to use on very wet hair.

RainbowHawk
August 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I've used that one in the past, and don't recall feeling too strongly about it one way or the other. :shrug: Right now I'm using this one: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Styler-Tool-Comb/SBS-502125,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH, just the even side and I use one of the long tines on the end to part my hair.

Angel_Abby, I don't think I've ever seen a rubber comb at WalMart. I'll give it a search. :)

IanB
August 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=RainbowHawk;1746020]I can't imagine that using a wooden comb on wet hair is a good idea. Am I missing something?

The point is, it works!

Athena's Owl
August 21st, 2011, 02:13 AM
I use resin combs from hairsense. I have three of them, all with different teeth spacings.

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 02:40 AM
I've used that one in the past, and don't recall feeling too strongly about it one way or the other. :shrug: Right now I'm using this one: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Styler-Tool-Comb/SBS-502125,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH, just the even side and I use one of the long tines on the end to part my hair.

Yeah thats exactly how I feel. Its just okay, nothing special. I think I'll be purchasing a resin comb from Hairsense really soon. :rolleyes: I'm so easily enabled.

RainbowHawk
August 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM
I can't imagine that using a wooden comb on wet hair is a good idea. Am I missing something?

The point is, it works!

But if it is ruined within a month, it won't work after that, will it? I certainly couldn't afford to replace such a thing every month, and as I have mentioned several times, my hair is curly-- I *have* to have my hair sopping wet in order to detangle it without crazy floof. In the shower, in fact, like McFearless said, is my preference as my hair dries very quickly.

In any case, I was very specific about asking for something I could use for sopping wet hair, and as far as I know wood doesn't fit the bill. If there's something about wooden combs that I'm missing, please let me know.

RainbowHawk
August 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah thats exactly how I feel. Its just okay, nothing special. I think I'll be purchasing a resin comb from Hairsense really soon. :rolleyes: I'm so easily enabled.

I ordered BBC105; My hair isn't long (yet!) but it is *very* fine, and it looks like I'll be able to use that one comfortably for both detangling and styling. It seems like a fair amount of money to pay for a comb, so I want something I'll be able to use long-term. :) I'm looking forward to it's arrival. :)

vanillabones
August 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
I use the body shop wooden comb. I don't use it in the shower soaking wet but I use it immediately after on wet hair after applying oil and detangler. I've been using it like this for 6 months straight and my comb is in perfect condition.

IanB
August 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM
I use the body shop wooden comb. I don't use it in the shower soaking wet but I use it immediately after on wet hair after applying oil and detangler. I've been using it like this for 6 months straight and my comb is in perfect condition.

Yep, I've had mine for nearly a year, always comb through when soaking wet, and no problems at all - a steal for £3.00

Lianna
August 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
For wet/damp hair I just use a reallly wide toothed comb. It's plastic but I've never had problems with it, been using this kind all my life. For dry hair, the tangle teezer is heaven, even for thick hair. My hair is 2c when dried naturally without combing, but looks straighter after combing, but I can use the tangle teezer from root to tip when dry, it glides like if my hair was wet, which doesn't happen if I were to use a comb/a regular brush.

ETA: I've broken a wooden comb before. :D I used on wet/damp towel dried hair. It lasted a while though. This was many years ago in my childhood.

redcelticcurls
August 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM

I usually just use my fingers. But, if I use a comb, my wide tooth one from Sally's works just fine.

Even if I do finger detangle, I give it a couple of run throughs with the comb to get out the last of the sheds. As a curly, most of your sheds will stay caught in the curls instead of leaving the head on their own.

mistofvongola
August 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have 3b curly hair, and I just use a simple wide-toothed comb that I found at Sally's. Before that I just used my hands with lots of conditioner.

RainbowHawk
August 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
My hair tangles really badly if I just finger-comb (though I have tried it), and like I said my Sally's comb seems to snare and snag in my hair a lot. Maybe because my hair is so fine?

redcelticcurls
August 21st, 2011, 01:32 PM
My hair tangles really badly if I just finger-comb (though I have tried it), and like I said my Sally's comb seems to snare and snag in my hair a lot. Maybe because my hair is so fine?

It could be. I'm m/c so I have no good input there. You'll probably tangle less once you get your moisture protein balance in check.

archel
August 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
I use a Babyliss shampoo brush in the shower to distribute conditioner. It has large silicone nubs and is really gentle. I am thinking of getting seamless comb as well, though.

McFearless
August 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
I ordered BBC105; My hair isn't long (yet!) but it is *very* fine, and it looks like I'll be able to use that one comfortably for both detangling and styling. It seems like a fair amount of money to pay for a comb, so I want something I'll be able to use long-term. :) I'm looking forward to it's arrival. :)
Let me know how it goes :)

I usually just use my fingers. But, if I use a comb, my wide tooth one from Sally's works just fine.

Even if I do finger detangle, I give it a couple of run throughs with the comb to get out the last of the sheds. As a curly, most of your sheds will stay caught in the curls instead of leaving the head on their own.
I did this today. I usually go straight to my plastic comb but this time I spent minutes working out tangles with my fingers, stretching out the width of each curl until they became wide and flat, before combing it out. I lost less hair that way. Thanks for the tip.

redcelticcurls
August 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Let me know how it goes :)

I did this today. I usually go straight to my plastic comb but this time I spent minutes working out tangles with my fingers, stretching out the width of each curl until they became wide and flat, before combing it out. I lost less hair that way. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. :)

Once I got used to it, finger detangling didn't take much more time than the comb, though it was easier on my hair. The comb does get the last of those sheds out, though.