PDA

View Full Version : True or false? Argan oil works better when you straighten your hair

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The girl at sallys beauty supply told me that it's good to put in argan oil and straighten because it seals Ur hair that way and it's more effective

silverjen
August 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sense. It should seal your hair regardless of whether you've straightened or not.

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I don't know anything about argan oil but the idea that heating your hair (with straighteners, with whatever) 'seals' things in is pretty much a myth. All heating it that hot does is permanently disrupts the chemical structures of the proteins in your hair - i.e. irrevocable damage. Now, certain hair types (e.g. coarser hair types) may be able to withstand that sort of treatment for longer than others but there's no way that it's beneficial.

As far as I've read here, mild heat (e.g. warm water, warm towels, warm 'deep treatment' head-wrap things) may have benefits, or at least little/no downsides. But stronger heat, e.g. hair dryers, straighteners... yeah, that's damaging.

Henna_Goddess
August 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't think so since argan oil can also be used as a cooking oil.