PDA

View Full Version : ACV vs. White

patienceneeded
August 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
So, I know some of y'all use ACV for a rinse, and some of you use White vinegar instead. Is there a difference between the two, other than the smell? Is ACV good for some things, WV for others? I have used both (can't say one smells better than the other) and both seem ok. Is one better than the other? Or is it just personal preference? Please share your thoughts and opinions on vinegar rinses!

slz
August 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I use white vinegar because it's cheaper and multi purpose : so I always have some at home, be it for laundry, cleaning, hair, whatever, and I'm sure to never run out of it. Besides, ACV stains my stupid plastic tub (whoever decided that making bathtubs out of plastic was a good idea ? Was he stupid or high on psychotrops ? We'll never know).
Other than that, I really do not know - I need something acidic to bring my hair's pH down and will take the cheapest stuff to do the trick, it ends here.

Kelikea
August 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I think they work in the same way. ACV has a golden color, so may add a golden or reddish tint to very light hair. ACV also usually costs a bit more. I use ACV on my hair, and white vinegar as a rinse in the washing machine. I think the benefits of using ACV over white has more to do with taking it internally rather than on your hair.

BeckyAH
August 20th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I use whatever I can get my hands on - and in my house that's usually white, since there's always a gallon jug of the stuff around. When I have ACV, I use that, though. Because apparently I am incapable of keeping my mouth closed while I rinse my hair, and ACV is slightly less horrific.

(That said, I don't use either often - for some reason it makes my hair... greasy. I don't even know how that's possible, but there you go.)

Anje
August 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
There's also a difference in price (white's cheaper, and also useful for cleaning so I have it on hand), and there's the fact that some folks with light hair find that ACV stains their hair a reddish tone.

Thinthondiel
August 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
(That said, I don't use either often - for some reason it makes my hair... greasy. I don't even know how that's possible, but there you go.)

It makes my hair look greasy as well. Shiny, but also stringy and greasy. So I don't use it.

If I were to use vinegar, though, I'd use white simply because of the smell. I can't stand the smell of ACV.

silverjen
August 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I've tried both, and found they work equally well for hair. I stick with white because the smell is less strong, and because it won't stain my silvers.

Carolyn
August 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I use only white vinegar. It's not because of the price. Actually I've never compared the price to ACV to white vinegar. I use the white because I'm an ashy blonde and I do everything I can to avoid encouraging any warm or reddish tones in my hair. ACV adds those warm tone for me, both when I was dye free and now that I dye to cover my silvers.

Panth
August 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
ACV has a golden color, so may add a golden or reddish tint to very light hair.

some folks with light hair find that ACV stains their hair a reddish tone.

I stick with white because the smell is less strong, and because it won't stain my silvers.

This is why I use white wine vinegar. I didn't have any issues for the short time I used ACV, but I'd rather not risk my blonde as it's dark enough to start with.

I've always wondered whether red wine vinegar might impart a strawberry-blonde tint to blonde hair ... don't know of anyone who's tried that, though.

boomtownrat
August 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
ACV stains my hair and the smell seems to be more enduring on me, which is why I always use white vinegar. I've never compared prices and I've never noticed that one works better than the other.

AuburnTresses
August 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've recently found that, while I like the red the ACV brings out, I prefer WV. ACV leaves my hair with a gross waxy, oily feel. The WV doesn't. But my hair tends towards the oily side.

When I used regular shampoo the AVC did okay, but now that I'm trying a shampoo bar the WV works a whole lot better (just miss it adding red to my hair).