PDA

View Full Version : whats the big deal about GHDs?

dreamsdesire
August 20th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Are they really that good?? I need some more hair straighteners and im thinking about buying GHDs but they cost alot so are they really all that special?

heartgoesboom
August 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
it gets really hot... i suggest picking up a solia or a chi so you can get something where the heat is adjustable (those i know def have some models like that, but i dunno about the rest coz i'm pretty out of touch with straighteners now.) but my ghd is one setting and gets hot really fast.

C.H.
August 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I have one. But I've never owned another flat iron, so I have nothing to compare it to. My favorite thing about it is that it heats up almost instantly and maintains a constant temperature.

alwayssmiling
August 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Yes it will get hair perfectly pin straight, but as heartgoesboom said you can't adjust the temperature. They ruined my hair. Most hair can be straightened at lower temperatures. My new babyliss ones straighten my hair very well at 180 degrees. I started at the lowest temperature and worked my way up until I was happy with the result from one swipe.

kyandii
August 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM
GHD's completly fried my hair, You could see the damage across the other side of a room.
It was horrific, my hair dresser actually asked if I'd been burning my hair with a flame.

dreamsdesire
August 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
so what do you guys think are the best straighteners, ive heard remmington shine therapy are good?

dementedkitten
August 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I own Nicky Clarke desiRED straighteners and they are really good, for me they are as good, if not better than GHD's .. at half the price. They heat up instantly and you can control the temperature. Plus, they come in a gorgeous red :)

slz
August 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM
so what do you guys think are the best straighteners
I think the best hair straightener is NO hair staightener at all.

missoj
August 23rd, 2011, 06:42 AM
I think the best hair straightener is NO hair staightener at all.

So true! I'm guilty of occasionally flat ironing my hair though, but no where near as much as I used to.

Also GHDs are good, but they cause the worst damage over time. I know many women who use them and their hair become terribly dry, damaged, broke off and their ends were fried. I know two who actually had to cut all their hair off because of the terrible damage, and the one's mom actually gave her GHD away.

Cania
August 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
I've been using a Babylis Pro for years - I used to wear my hair poker straight for years and they were fantastic. You can change the temperature, between 150 (I think?) and 230. I highly recommend them, I can straighten my hair properly on about 180.

Eva_M
August 23rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
I've been using a Babylis Pro for years - I used to wear my hair poker straight for years and they were fantastic. You can change the temperature, between 150 (I think?) and 230. I highly recommend them, I can straighten my hair properly on about 180.

I completely agree with you, I have been using the same Babyliss for 5 years now, and I have always gotten great results. Its advantages are the temperature control, the high quality of the appliance (after 5 years the surface of the iron is perfect).

However, the heat is damaging whatever straightener you use (even the most expensive, stylish or new), so it should be used with caution and just occasionally, in order to prevent a serious damage.

vintage88
August 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
I loved my GHD's but they were causing so much damage so i stopped using them months ago. I do miss them!

kritir
August 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Love love love my GHD's. They're turning 5 years old next month and still make my hair as awesome as they did when I bought them. Instant heat up, and I only have to run them through once (on my curlyyy hair, which I wouldn't be able to do with a lower heat setting).

I think my blow drying is worse for my hair than the one a week-ish straightening :)

caiti42
August 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Love my GHD and if it broke I would buy another one instantly. It's prefect for straightening and curling an waving and flicks and heats up instantly. Mine is now 4 years old and is as good as the day I bought it.

If you want a straightener that won't damage your hair, don't get a straightner.