PDA

View Full Version : what to do with dry hair

bridgetc
March 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend anythign for dry ends. I'd say about teh last 2 inches or so are feeling a bit dry. I have used coconut oil in the past and left it on as a treatment . I usually wil put some in after washing my hair and then braid hair into a plait and leave like that for a day or two then rinse out. I also have aveda beautifying compositon which I sometimes use, i take a few drops rub between my palms and put through the lengths. Should I massage this into the scalp aswell or leave it alone.

Thanks in advance

B

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I put a combination of olive oil and coconut oil on my length a couple of nights ago, braided, then washed my hair in the morning with my usual CWC (condition length-wash scalp-condition length) routine using diluted shampoo. I can't believe how soft and silky my ends feel! It was really a good treatment. I didn't really wash the length, just let the suds run through it. I'm going to keep doing this. It's even better than using a little coconut oil on the ends after washing.

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I love hair oils! Especially coconut oil or vatika oil

carloota
March 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
What I've been doing lately is: After washing hair or spritzing it with water, I seal the damp hair with oil of choice. Either EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) or coconut. Damp braid, bun. Then place a plastic sandwich bag over the bun. It's pretty much a continuous deep conditioning treatment for the ends. Sometimes I'll leave my hair in this "do" all night and day. When going out, simply place a bun cover (or if you're really cheap, er I mean, FRUGAL like me, 2 dark knee high stockings rolled up over the bun). People are none the wiser. HTH

Cinnamon Hair
March 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Have you tried deep conditioning treatments? If you use cones I recommend L'Oreal Mega Moisture in the yellow & orange tub available at Sally's. If you're anti cones try Biolage Conditioning Balm. Or just use a conditioner you already have & like. Wet hair, apply conditioner generously to length especially ends, fold it up into a shower cap, then sit with a heat cap or hot towel on your head for about 30 mins. Rinse. Repeat weekly or as needed to soften ends.

sweetkandi
March 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I useally put biosilk serum in my hair right after I get out of the shower. It seems to help my hair out.

Melisande
March 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I use either dabur vatika on wet hair or Fox' moisture magic formula: a mixture of sheabutter, conditioner and jojoba oil. This makes my ends very soft.

Sheabutter has become my magic solution for many problems.

shellblue1
March 14th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I have a mix of avocado, olive, jojoba, coconut, and amla oil in a bottle that I apply to my ends some nights before I go to bed. Sometimes I use it as an all-over oil treatment before washing. I don't have dry ends problems and I straighten my hair with a flat iron once a week or so.

bridgetc
March 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Where would be the best place to get evoo or is there a particular brand that anybody uses.

pariate
March 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I've been struggling with frizz and dry hair over the last few weeks I washed my hair a couple of days ago and mixed up a glob (maybe about a tbsp) of aloe vera gel with half a tsp glycerin, some orange EO, a few drops of jojoba and a drop of avocado. I scrunched it into my hair when it dried it felt soooooooooooooooooo much softer than it does when I just use oil on my ends as a leave in. It looked much glossier too :D Might be worth a try.

My hair feels super soft and silky today, even though I've been digging around in the garden in rain, working in a hot pub and walking through blustering gales to get to and from my flat!

cardamom
February 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I put a combination of olive oil and coconut oil on my length a couple of nights ago, braided, then washed my hair in the morning with my usual CWC (condition length-wash scalp-condition length) routine using diluted shampoo. I can't believe how soft and silky my ends feel! It was really a good treatment. I didn't really wash the length, just let the suds run through it. I'm going to keep doing this. It's even better than using a little coconut oil on the ends after washing.

spidermom, am a new member here.could you please explain how to oil hair?do you massage scalp?how much oil?:)
thnx in advance!!

chopandchange
February 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
A lot of people are saying to use oil. It may well work for you, in which case, great! But oil is not necessarily the solution to "dry" hair. Oil doesn't add any moisture. It just adds more oil.

The most moisturising thing that I am aware of is glycerin. Most conditioners contain glycerin. What I would do personally is just do lots of deep conditioning. Apply your conditioner of choice (it doesn't have to be an expensive one as long as it's moisturising - you can always add a bit of extra glycerin to it yourself if you can't see glycerin on the ingredients) on wet or dry hair, and leave it in for as long as you can. If you do it on dry hair, you can even leave it in all day - if your hair is braided or tied up no one will notice. If you use a fragrance-free one, it will just look like you have gel or some kind of product in your hair and no one will smell the conditioner fragrance. Then just wash it out in the shower and hopefully your hair will be nice and soft again.

Hope this helps and you find a solution that works for you. :)