PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Hair Ever "Scare" You?

chaoticwaves
August 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I am back to APL after trimming 2 inches off in June. I've been wearing my hair up most of the time as well as stretching washes to about once a week.

I wore it bunned yesterday, leaving out two tendrils of hair on either side of my face. Well, several times I was given a fright when I felt my hair touching my arm! This is about as long as my hair has ever been and I love when it reaches new parts of my body. :cheese:It's strange feeling it there at times, and it sometimes surprises me!! ("what's that touching me?!) :p

So, does your hair ever catch you off guard or freak you out by giving you a tickle?

Jayce
August 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Yes! I didn't realize until the other day that my hair was now long enough to tickle my arm when I wear sleeveless shirts. I spent 5 minutes looking for that "bug" :)

CurlAhead
August 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
My hair is very big, it grows on the side more than on the length if you get it. One day I had it loose, and I thought I saw a shadow of someone behind me (I was home alone). Can you imagine my relief when I realized it was just my hair? :D

Rusticular
August 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Not quite 'scare', but I do enjoy the feeling of my hair lengths on my arms! It's such a satisfying feeling. There's nothing more comforting than that 'tickle' on your elbow!

pittsburgpam
August 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Yep, there was many a time when something would tickle my back just above the waist-line if my shirt hiked up, like leaning forward while sitting. You think there's a bug on you!

PinkyCat
August 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yes - sometimes I'll I'll freak out & start screaming and flailing because there's a bug on me - but it turns out to be my hair. Derp.

chaoticwaves
August 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Yes! I didn't realize until the other day that my hair was now long enough to tickle my arm when I wear sleeveless shirts. I spent 5 minutes looking for that "bug" :)

I have done the same thing!

My hair is very big, it grows on the side more than on the length if you get it. One day I had it loose, and I thought I saw a shadow of someone behind me (I was home alone). Can you imagine my relief when I realized it was just my hair? :D

LOL! Yeah, that would freak me out!

Not quite 'scare', but I do enjoy the feeling of my hair lengths on my arms! It's such a satisfying feeling. There's nothing more comforting than that 'tickle' on your elbow!

I agree, and I can't wait until my hair can wrap me in its "embrace". :D

Yep, there was many a time when something would tickle my back just above the waist-line if my shirt hiked up, like leaning forward while sitting. You think there's a bug on you!

I don't care for bugs, and I think that's why my imagination takes over at any little tickle!

Yes - sometimes I'll I'll freak out & start screaming and flailing because there's a bug on me - but it turns out to be my hair. Derp.

I've embarrassed myself by doing that too.

kanaka
August 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
yes,may be sometimes i will freak out tooo but i love the feeling of my hair touching my shoulders, arms,waist n hips(especially when i change my dress ;))

Curly Hermione
August 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Being curly, most of my shed hair waits until i'm in the shower before it falls out, so i jumped a mile when a hair landed on my arm earlier, i mean i freaked out!

junkyschristmas
August 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Ha! I am really glad you posted this, because it happened to me for the first time Friday nite. I was reading in bed and I had my hair loose, and every time it tickled my arm, I jumped, thinking there was a bug on me! I was excited because it's a neat milestone, but I also felt stupid every time it happened (about every 10 minutes or so), I spazzed out. It indicated my short-term memory leaves something to be desired! :p

It reminded me of the "Mr. Short Term Memory" skits that Tom Hanks used to do whenever he was a guest on Saturday Night Live in the '80's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AUOAp87PUU)

sarahbrownie
August 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Same thing here! It's getting long enough that it touches my arm and I get a fright when it feels like a spider or a bug crawling on my arm! It happens frequently in the summer with sleeveless shirts.

PinkyCat
August 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM
We should call this the "Creepy Crawly" milestone :cheese:

chaoticwaves
August 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM
We should call this the "Creepy Crawly" milestone :cheese:

Haha! I'll take any milestone, so "Creepy Crawly" works for me!

MychelleC
August 19th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Okay, I was on my knees painting, head tilted back with plumber butt going on. I screamed bloody murder thinking there was a bug in my plumber crack. It was my hair tickling me. There was paint everywhere from me jumping up in horror, but I was so pleased!

MonaLisa
August 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
hahahah this!
all the time! i get freaked out at least once in two days..
and i wear my hair down a lot, so should be used to it by now...

Anje
August 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
My braid has done that to me occasionally.

What's sometimes worse is when you get used to occasionally having a hair tickle your arms (and usually it's invisible so you can't remove it!), so you tolerate it for quite a while. Then you go to remove the tickling thing to discover it's a spider.

Yozhik
August 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Yes! And I've found that as my hair has grown, it happens again and again at different length milestones.

Finally I got used to it being on my upper back, but it's beginning to give me a fright again now that I get it caught in my elbows and under my bra strap. A couple of times recently I've been guilty of trying to pull off a loose hair from my shirt, only to find it was attached! :o

Turtle
August 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
This year my hair has gotten long enough that it'll tickle my elbows. I startle easily, so it really creeps me out sometimes. And it gets caught in my armpits! Please tell me I'm not the only one that has that happen?

Merewen
August 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
It goes both directions. Sometimes I get a tickle and react like it's a bug and it's my hair. Sometimes I assume a tickle is my hair, and then react badly when I realize it's a bug. But usually it's the hair.

faithsdaisy421
August 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I am quite glad to know that I am not the only one who does this :scared:

CurlyCap
August 19th, 2011, 01:33 PM
My hair is super curly, and it's around my shoulders right now.

The layers that are shorter like to curl into my ear. It feels like a bug is trying to crawl in!

::shudder::

ravenreed
August 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
It never fails to startle me when my hair tickles my thighs as I am sitting. I am used to it on my arms and back but not the thighs!

AceOfCurls
August 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I don't know if this counts. I like to toss and turn, so my braid starts choking me in the middle of the night, which is scary!

MissManda
August 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Sort of...

It happened when I was getting into bed a few weeks ago before my big hair cut. I was very drowsy and my brain was pretty much in shut down mode. Without thinking, I put my hair above me over my pillow as I usually do. I like to sleep with one of my arms under my pillow, so I tucked my arm and stretched it towards the wall at the head of my bed... then I felt something. It was soft and furry and since I wasn't thinking clearly, I thought it was a dead rodent. I freaked out a little inside, until I realized that it was just my hair. :o

Impulsive
August 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Yes. Whenever I wear short sleeves and wear my hair down (rare). I've been hoping that I would get used to it and stop freaking out/jumping whenever it happens, but I've changed my mind. After reading about some people mistaking a bug for hair, I've decided I'd rather freak out and look silly than assume it's a hair only to discover I've had a bug crawling on me... eww.

tolly
August 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I wish it would! its very short at the moment, I hardly know its there. Patience, my time will come

SkinnyCookie
August 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Mmmmm-hhmmmm! How may times have I been cleaning out/venturing into my spider infested garage and ended up flailing around and brushing myself everywhere because the "worlds biggest spider" scraped across my thigh/arm?

bna_rapunzel
August 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
My hair is the longest its ever been (hip), so when it reaches new parts of my body further and further down, I've been known to be a flail-er. Especially in the shower, I imagine the lock of my hair that somehow got completely twisted around me is a spider or something. I always think the tickle is a bug. Lol :D

Evalea
August 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM
This year my hair has gotten long enough that it'll tickle my elbows. I startle easily, so it really creeps me out sometimes. And it gets caught in my armpits! Please tell me I'm not the only one that has that happen?

LOL!!! She is really funny to watch when this happens! Sitting calmly, then all of a sudden a spazz out! :ohmy:

Yeah, I'm guilty of the 5 minute hunt for whatever stupid bug is crawling all over my arm...oh, that's my hair!

bluesnowflake
August 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
If my hair gets loose from an updo, I've been known to look for the "bug" on my hair :P It also recently got longer than I had thought it was (I've been wearing it up pretty much 100%) and I wondered what could possibly be sitting on my hips in the shower. Then it was "That's my hair? Yay!"

laurarvt
August 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, sometimes I think I have a bug on me....=)

luxepiggy
August 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Halp, halp! I feel bugs on me! Get them off, get them off!:slap:

And I still fall for it every time! (>(oo)<)`

Palla
August 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM
All the time. I'm perpetually spinning around like a dog chasing its tail trying to find out what's touching me. :D The first time I realized that my hair was finally really, truly, awesomely long was when it was brushing my elbows and I couldn't figure out what was tickling me.

Becky9679
August 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Yep, I get the 'there's a bug on my arm' thing all the time :D

Chetanlaiho
August 29th, 2011, 08:56 AM
First time I felt something tickling my elbows I was quite surprised xD (I was hunching a little though, but at my goal length I won't need to hunch >=D)

Niwa
August 29th, 2011, 09:54 AM
So, does your hair ever catch you off guard or freak you out by giving you a tickle?Yes, when I am soaking in a bath tub or swimming and tendrils of my hair float around me, my hair is capable of terrifying me. The tendrils look like sentient tentacles from a sea creature lurking behind me. I usually keep my hair up when in water as a result.

luxepiggy
August 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM
All the time. I'm perpetually spinning around like a dog chasing its tail trying to find out what's touching me. :D The first time I realized that my hair was finally really, truly, awesomely long was when it was brushing my elbows and I couldn't figure out what was tickling me.
I know exactly what you're talking about! The worst is when I have a shed hair that's stuck somewhere on the back of my skirt; I can feel it tickling my calf, but every time I try to reach back and grab it, my hips swivel a bit, and I miss! (>(oo)<)`

Isidith
August 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I usually wear my hair up. But I find when I do wear it down I am constantly jumping to see if there is a bug on me when my hair tickles me It never fails!

Also, a while ago my hair had started shedding pretty badly after I had neglected oiling it for a few months.

I have a dark carpet had just gotten up that morning and saw this big brown thing on my floor. Assuming it was a bug, I freaked out and jumped back onto my bed. Then of course, after my initial panic and fright about a big bad bug on my floor I grabbed a book, went to hit it-only to realize it was a hair ball of my own hair :/

I felt pretty silly after that!

Crocus
August 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Before my disastrous "trim" I was sitting at my desk at work. My shirt must have ridden up a bit when I sat down and at some point my hair hit my bare skin and I SCREAMED. I literally screamed as I thought that there was a spider on me. My co-workers may not let me live that down for a while. Though some have forgotten it after the whole, "Is it raining frogs out there?" (a tree had fallen and there were 100s of green leaves blowing in the wind. It was one of those things that I should have said IN my head and not outside my head. LOL

ladylovecraft
August 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
My hair isn't quite long enough yet to do this too often, but I do spook myself now and then when it brushes my elbows, especially if I"ve had it up all day and sort of forget it's there.

purple dust
August 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I went to a Temazcal, like a big sauna. The session ended and I went to the bathroom... SCARY INDEED.

Alacris~
August 30th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Yes, especially the hair that falls out because it can creep everywhere!