PDA

View Full Version : Help With Short Hair!

Kumiko033
August 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I am really desperate to cut it off again, maybe into a bob with a undercut.
I haven't cut my hair in 7 months now and the ends feel terrible, there is still some black dye left in there [Naturtint, never use that dye, it makes your hair heavy, gross, and loose all it's curl/wave.]

: I could cut it into a bob with a undercut in the back and cut bangs. Then I'd already loose some of those crunchy black ends, and leave mullet city since it would finaly be one length then.

: Use henna and see if it does anything good, last time it did it only felt a little dry after washing it out the first time. After that i couldn't believe how soft and hydrated it was.

: I am close to getting it all in a ponytail, I think about 2/3 months but I am afraid the ends will become too dry and snap! Plus I don't think it'll look good.

Please can anyone help me, in my gallery are recent pictures.
My mullet is about neck-length
my bangs reach nose when stretched out
my sideburns and everything else are ear-length/jawline
My hair is very wavy/curly only the black weights it down a bit, my hair is close to that from Taylor Swift only brown and thicker.

I just came out of a 3 year relationsship and I simply want to look good, I want to feel good about myself for once and for all. Can anyone give me some advice or maybe some haircuts I can cut it into? I don't use heat or whatsoever.

BeckyAH
August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
When growing out my hair my option was always (always) to cut back to a bob - or rather to trim off the back until my hair was all one length, so that's my vote - mostly because it's easier growing out, and it's easier to lose a few inches to get to something I can grow out, than to lose 12 later.

Kumiko033
August 19th, 2011, 07:14 AM
When growing out my hair my option was always (always) to cut back to a bob - or rather to trim off the back until my hair was all one length, so that's my vote - mostly because it's easier growing out, and it's easier to lose a few inches to get to something I can grow out, than to lose 12 later.

I am afraid it will look stupid since my bangs look terrible at this point and my sideburns curl upwards into a ringlet..

BeckyAH
August 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Actually? Your pictures look really pretty danged good to me (I was picturing more difference between the bakc/sides for some reason - I couldn't find the new pictures) and you are GORGEOUS. Honestly, I'd probably just trim it, protect it and leave it alone, but that's me and with an eye on growth. Frankly, you can pull off whatever look you want, you really ARE gorgeous and so's your hair.

Kumiko033
August 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Actually? Your pictures look really pretty danged good to me (I was picturing more difference between the bakc/sides for some reason - I couldn't find the new pictures) and you are GORGEOUS. Honestly, I'd probably just trim it, protect it and leave it alone, but that's me and with an eye on growth. Frankly, you can pull off whatever look you want, you really ARE gorgeous and so's your hair.

No the difference isn't that big actually, it's more like a bad beatless bowl cut since it grew out from a really short pixie. And do you really think so..? I honestly feel like a more longhaired person since it's easier yet thnx a lot for the compliment, that's real nice of you. I feel really unconfortable with this hair right now..it's too much for me :confused:

Kumiko033
August 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
C'mon people I could use some advice :(

Siiri
August 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I suggest trimming the mullet so that it'll even out with the rest of your hair and you'll get rid of some damage, and maybe trying henna if you've had good results with it. Then you just need some patience. I cut myself bangs very early at the grown-out-pixie stage and it made the growing out much easier. I did trim the mullet, but there's still unevenness, and I've been growing my hair for over a year from pixie. Don't cut the sideburns, they can be slow to grow out anyway because they normally get more mechanical damage.

ETA: You could get side swept bangs to get you past the worst stage, if you don't mind growing out them later.

pixiedust
August 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
We're at about the same length, so I totally feel your pain here. I've never (consciously) grown my hair out before this, but if I can give you any advice, it be mostly what everyone else has said - try to only trim the bottom. I was snipping ends at random, and although that was helpful to trim off the rest of my severely chemically damaged hair, it didnt do anything to help my growth.

Try to be patient (so for for me its been hard, honestly it makes me want to cry sometimes), we're in the home stretch of the pixie grow out! I frequently have to look at pictures from when I first chopped, just to remind myself that it's actually growing. :eye:

Roscata
August 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
When my hair was the same length as yours I did a lot of two pig tails and ponytails. Of course hair would come out everywhere and I had to bobby-pin it back, but it worked out so I wouldn't have to face the fact I had a mullet. Headbands and scarfs can also help your hair to look better.

Micro-trimming can help the layers part of your hair and you can always trim a bit more of the bottom layer so you can eventually get rid of the mullet. However, I didn't start doing the getting rid of layers trimming until my hair reached APL, just because I couldn't stand to get rid of length before I could do at least two decent updos.

However if you feel you want to grow your hair all one length you could let it grow to about shoulder and then maintain it there until all your hair is one length.

Those are just a few options. All I can truly tell you is that it all depends on what you want from your hair. Do you want all one length hair before you truly start growing? Get a bob and maintain it until all your hair is one length. Do you want to keep as much length as possible while growing? Micro-trim and use updos, scarfs, headbands etc to deal with the mullet.

Good luck and I hope you post what you decided to do! :D

Kumiko033
August 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I think my final decission is I am going for this wedge/bob haircut, see this link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FvfnvyDk6k

I'm going for a longer version of this haircut and henna it afterwards and see what happends with the damage, I think it will be gone after this cut. Also if I keep it about jawline length I will be able to grow it in a one length bob in 5/6 months since my hair grows an inch a month. What do you guys think?

Roscata
August 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
That's awesome, this way you can be happy with your hair as you grow it and get rid of any damage you might have. :D

alyanna
August 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I think my final decission is I am going for this wedge/bob haircut, see this link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FvfnvyDk6k

I'm going for a longer version of this haircut and henna it afterwards and see what happends with the damage, I think it will be gone after this cut. Also if I keep it about jawline length I will be able to grow it in a one length bob in 5/6 months since my hair grows an inch a month. What do you guys think?

I personally would skip the undercut and go for a blunt bob. If you don't like it you couldn't always do the undercut later. But they're a real pain to grow out, so be warned.

Yozhik
August 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I'd probably go for the bob, myself. You could always microtrim, though, and see if that helped first.

I like the hairstyle you linked to in the video, but if you have hair like the model, you'll probably have to use a straight-iron, too, if you want to get the same look, so that might be something you want to consider before you get it.

Mymagicfairy
August 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I couldn't take it either
So today the scissors came out and the mullet is gone baby!!!
Lol
Now I look like a flapper girl fromthe 20's
But it feels so much better...the mullet part was so straggly and thin
Even though I could twist it up..when it was down it was like a rats tail...or two
Best thing I did
Now it's growing stage!!

Mymagicfairy
August 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I just watched the video
Even though the girl looks amazing
I would think it will still be a pain to grow out that style as well
That's if u are planning on growing
For me
Just trimming off the mullet myself
Straight line ...did the trick to get me happy again about growing things out
Good luck

mrs_coffee
August 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
If you love it, do it. It will probably grow out at an uneven rate, but if you're willing to trim to even it up while it grows out then go for it.

Post pictures afterwards so we can see how cute you look! :)

silverjen
August 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I did this same thing--got a short undercut bob while growing out a pixie. Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I would not. While it gets you out of mullet-land, it will take a LOT longer to get to the point where you can do ponytails and other updos. It felt good at the time, but it made it harder to reach my longer-term goals.

Your hair doesn't look bad or awkward to me at all. Maybe just take a centimeter off the very back to even it up a little, and then do deep conditioning treatments to help the damage?

Aud200
August 20th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I personally would skip the undercut and go for a blunt bob. If you don't like it you couldn't always do the undercut later.

I agree- it would be easy to go back and get the undercut done if you still want it. If you are truly trying to grow your hair out longer, this might deter you from ever really getting past your neck area as you will probably keep getting frustrated with your "transition" hair! A cut that gets your hair closer to one length will grow out much easier and less reshaping will be necessary later.

Mairéad
August 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Honestly, your face is so gorgeous I think any hair would look good on it. But, I do understand the need to feel good about things. That said, an undercut would probably make it hard to grow out all over again. If I were in this position (and I sort of am) I would get a trim and then access what is going on.

Kumiko033
August 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks a lot everyone, honestly. Every word made me feel a little better.
About the hair I am going to wait another week and ask my mother if it's o.k if I do some self-trimming if needed after that week. I found some old hats which suits my shaggy mullet and I found out I can do a cute updo which i'll post a tutorial of for the shorties like me (:

Kumiko033
August 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Ok now I changed my mind..now my parents are forcing me to go to the hairdresser *sigh*
they also bought loads off hairtoys for me suddenly, they finaly understand how important this is for me I guess and they want me to play it safe.
mullet city has to leave and it has to be a normal haircut and colour all of the sudden :/

Roseate
August 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Ok now I changed my mind..now my parents are forcing me to go to the hairdresser *sigh*

Well, discuss your intention to grow out your hair to your hairdresser: a good stylist will be able to give you a cut that looks good and is easy to grow out. They can probably blend in your shaggy bits and de-mulletise you without setting you back too much.

I got regular trims while I was growing out my short hair, couldn't deal with the mullet myself! Hang in there, you're almost past the worst part!

BlazingHeart
August 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I WISH I had trimmed back to all one length when I started growing out. I grew out from a wedge-type cut, and while I loved that cut, I am NOT loving the 6-8" length difference I'm dealing with now. I hadn't expected it to be so much, and it's a huge nuisance. At the same time, I don't want to maintain and trim it out now because I'm STILL not able to do any buns yet. Once I'm able to do buns, I'll stop at that length and maintain there until I cut out the last of these annoying pseudo-layers.

~Blaze