PDA

View Full Version : Can you BBB too much?

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I get very bored sometimes so I mindlessly brush my hair (with my BBB). Could there be potential ill effects of this?

faithsdaisy421
August 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I've been wondering this as well.

I guess I will be watching this thread... :)

Madora
August 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
You can do just about anything too much and regret the results.

As for too much bbbing, you can overdo it. It depends on several things..i.e. your explanation of "overdoing it", the brush in question, and HOW you brush.

If you don't brush correctly, then your hair will pay the price.

QMacrocarpa
August 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I think so, yes. I suspect that mindless brushing many years ago may have led to a situation where my hair was noticeably shorter on the side I tended to brush more (brush-brush-brush.... hmm, what are all those short bits of hair doing on the floor?....).

spidermom
August 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I suspect that yes, it is damaging, especially done mindlessly. It doesn't sound like a habit you would want to continue.

I always got the sensation that a BBB shredded my hair. I'm much happier with a paddle brush.

MissHair
August 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Madora, how do I brush it correctly?

scottigirl_01
August 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I looking for the correct way to BBB too.

Madora
August 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ladies, here is the method I learned from Dr. George Michael, famed long hair maven:

1) Bend at the waist and bring all the hair in front of you, like a curtain. Working from the ends up to the roots, take small sections of hair, not large ones, and use your wide tooth comb to gently comb up the strands, bit by bit. Use your fingers, not the comb, to remove the snarls. If you find a tight snarl, spray it with water, or put a small bit of oil on it to help loosen the snarl.

When all your hair has been detangled, it is time to brush.

Start at the nape and slowly brush down to the ends. Be sure to follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on static made by brushing.

Number of strokes: A matter of preference. Mr. Michael suggested 100 strokes per day but that figure isn't set in stone.

Also, since your hair probably isn't used to being brushed in the "bent at the waist" position, your hair follicles will need to be slowly trained to being brushed in that direction...so brush say, 20 times, and then gradually build up to your hair goal a little each day. Say your goal is 50 strokes...start with 20. Then each day add a stroke and gradually work to your overall goal. The slower approach to brushing upside down is gentler on your hair follicles than doing the 50 (or whatever number) all at once.

Once you have finished your brushing, and still bent at the waist, part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.
Grab the ends of the hair on the right with your right hand. Repeat with the left hand side.

Stand erect. Take the hair in the right hand and place it gently over the right shoulder and let it drop down your back. Repeat with the other hair. Do not toss/flip/throw your hair back! This only creates more tangles! Now you're ready to style as desired.

If you have any flyaways, try a dab of coconut oil rubbed on your palms, then press your palms down your hair length.

A note about boar bristle brushes:

They are not all the same! Some have longer, thicker bristles. Some are very stiff, others not so much so. Also, the shape of the brush can have a bearing on how easy (or not) it is to use. My hair hated oval brushes with thick, long bristles. It loved my Goody thinner bristle brush that was rectangular and narrow.

Also, for optimum results, keep the brush squeaky clean as much as possible and remove trapped hairs from the brush daily.

Brushing is good for your hair for it not only exercises the hair follicles, but removes dirt and stuff from your scalp and hair, distributes the natural sebum down your strands, and over time will make your hair soft and glossy.

And please, if you love your hair, always remember to detangle it first with a wide tooth comb, and never brush when your hair is wet or damp!

Lady Malys
August 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Madora! I just bought a BBB and appreciate the directions so I can be sure to use it in a way that won't harm my hair.

Madora
August 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks Madora! I just bought a BBB and appreciate the directions so I can be sure to use it in a way that won't harm my hair.

You're welcome, Lady Malys!

Aqua Gal
August 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Madora, I have read many of your past comments about brushing. You have been such a huge help to me. Seriously, I had no clue how to brush properly.

So nice that you always respond to these threads!

Madora
August 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Madora, I have read many of your past comments about brushing. You have been such a huge help to me. Seriously, I had no clue how to brush properly.

So nice that you always respond to these threads!

My pleasure, Aqua Gal! When it comes to brushing and bbbs, I'm kinda like the ol gray firehorse when the fire alarm bell rings!

It's sad to say, but it appears that many people never learned the correct way to brush and I think that has a great deal to do with the emphasis of short hair that began after dancer Irene Castle bobbed her hair in the early part of the 20th century. Short hair was "in" and caring for it didn't require much time and effort..and when synthetic bristles came into being, they were cheaper to manufacture than bbbs and became the brush of choice for many. Fortunately, the bbb managed to stay on the scene, thanks, in part, to some knowledgeable hairdressers like Dr. George Michael who understood the benefits of using a bbb regularly.

Aqua Gal
August 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Oh, you would cringe at how I used to yank a ball-tipped brush through my (wet) hair! It really seemed like a safe brush...what was I thinking?

I'm so glad I took your advice and tried the BBB.

Even with waves, it makes everything soooo smooth.

MissHair
August 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I learned alot thanks Madora.

Madora
August 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I learned alot thanks Madora.

Glad I could help, MissHair!