PDA

View Full Version : Why does my scalp itch when I sweat?

In2wishin
August 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I guess my title says it all. This summer I have been sweating a bit more than usual and every time I do my scalp and upper forehead itch like crazy. As soon as the sweat dries, the itching stops.

Can anyone solve this mystery?

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
This usually happens to me when I have product buildup. If you haven't clarified in a while that could be one of many possible solutions.

In2wishin
August 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
This usually happens to me when I have product buildup. If you haven't clarified in a while that could be one of many possible solutions.

Actually, I don't use products that build up. My shampoo is a homemade one with 2 gentle cleansers and water. My conditioner is BTMS and water. I use no other oils, products, etc.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Interesting.. That is usually my problem. I will look deeper into this.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
How about the possibility of heat rash?

darklyndsea
August 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sometimes (when I sweat a lot) my head gets itchy because the sweat is moving around on my head, not just sitting there, and the movement is what makes it itchy.

In2wishin
August 18th, 2011, 04:41 PM
How about the possibility of heat rash?

I suspect not, only beause my forehead (with no hair on it) itches too and there is no redness.

Sometimes (when I sweat a lot) my head gets itchy because the sweat is moving around on my head, not just sitting there, and the movement is what makes it itchy.

That sounds similar to the sensation I get. WHY does it itch though? Any ideas?

kaned_ferret
August 19th, 2011, 04:04 AM
yep I get itchy when I sweat as well, it's mostly around the back of my head / between ear level and my nape - and of course when I scratch it gets worse, then my scalp ends up with bumps that probably are aggravated heat rash :/ I second the whole movement of the sweat thing, ick! whacking the fan on and parting my hair to get some cool air on it works nicely.
I would also like to add the observation that this has only been a problem since I grew my hair back - as a child I had long hair and it was fine, because I was used to it, but then for 12 years I have had a fairly extreme undercut before I decided to grow it back, so my scalp was used to fresh air and freedom! Tell you something, when it's bad it gets VERY hard not to pick the clippers back up again lol!

Sweet Beat
August 19th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Maybe it's the salt? And salt is itching when you have wounds, to maybe you have tiny irritations on your scalp? Just guessing totaly xD

In2wishin
August 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Interesting ideas :hmm:

To be honest, it is nothing more than an annoyance but you know what they say .... "Inquiring minds want to know". I've been really curious if others have experienced this.

bluesnowflake
August 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I have eczema on my neck that itches like crazy when I sweat or get hot- maybe you could get the skin on your scalp checked out?

CariadA
August 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
My head gets crazy itchy when I sweat, too. And it stays that way until the next time I wash. It is really uncomfortable!

ETA: And I have no idea why. I would also like to see if anyone knows what causes it and what can help.

gthlvrmx
August 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I get what you're going through, i get it a lot! I exercise frequently (and its summer in SoCal with no AC) and washing once a week can sometimes get itchy. But im sure a nice quick small rinse with water will help.

tinywife
August 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
This began happening to me this summer too. I added a final rinse with a little lemon juice, and it stopped.

boomtownrat
August 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
It happens to me too, and that's why I try to shower and wash my hair as soon as possible after I sweat. This is only a guess, but I've always figured it must have something to do with the salt content in the sweat. :shrug: