PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids look like you?

kellinaturalmom
August 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
So I have pretty much always had light brown hair with blonde highlights. About a year ago I started to use henna and LOVE my red hair. All three of my kids have dark blonde hair. For some reason not having the same hair color as my kids anymore bothered me. Anyone else feel the same way?

spidermom
August 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
They're a good blend of me and my husband.

ennuideluxe
August 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
My daughter is like a mini-me, except for eye color. Actually, I was bothered that I didn't have the same hair color as her, and that is one of the reasons I stopped dying. :)

My son looks nothing at all like me, but considering that I'm his stepmom, I'd find it a bit weird if he did! He does act a lot like me though...

dolphin
August 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I don't have children yet but I am dark haired and I expect they would be dark haired as well (?)

88Marisa
August 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I don't have children yet but I am dark haired and I expect they would be dark haired as well (?)

Both my parents have dark hair and both me and my sister don't. You never know...

patienceneeded
August 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
DD4 is an even blend of myself and DH. As she gets older she looks more and more like pics of me as a child, but her eyes are ALL her Daddy. People who know me say she looks like me, people who know DH say she looks like him. She really just looks like us both. Acts like us too...

GlassWidow
August 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I henna as well, but my natural color is red. The hair on my boys' heads has changed so much. Right now, my oldest is dark blond, though his hair darkens to a reddish brown in the winter. My youngest has platinum blond around his hairline, though the majority of his head is dark blond like his brother. He has some very fiery red highlights in the sun, though. Both boys have platinum blond eyebrows.

Aside from hair color, my boys do look very much like me, and we often hear people say "Gee, you can't tell they're brothers!" in a pleasantly sarcastic way from friends and strangers alike.

faithsdaisy421
August 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hahaha... my kid looks NOTHING like me! He is a little version of his father, all the way =)

elbow chic
August 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Nope, none of my kids has my coloring, or DH's, for that matter. He's dark-haired and I'm very blond, and we wound up producing a whole slew of shades in the middle, from auburn to sandy blond. He once vowed to keep having kids till he got at least one brunette for "my" three blonds but he chickened out when the fourth was born with transparently white hair and blue eyes. Those pale genes seem not to be as wiltingly recessive as people would expect. :D

That baby is now a towheaded toddler with bright blue eyes but he will probably darken up a good bit over time. I would imagine he will wind up with light brown hair as an adult.

None of them are going to have exactly either of our coloring, though.

Nae
August 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
My daughters look a lot like me, my son.....not so much.

pocketsmall
August 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
My daughter is like a mini-me, except for eye color. Actually, I was bothered that I didn't have the same hair color as her, and that is one of the reasons I stopped dying. :)

My son looks nothing at all like me, but considering that I'm his stepmom, I'd find it a bit weird if he did! He does act a lot like me though...

I think sometimes step parents can look like their step children because the children learn the same facial expressions and body language!

Chetanlaiho
August 18th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I don't have children (yet) but I find myself wondering about what their hair colour will be ^^; I'd love for them to have the same haircolour I had when I was a kid (really light blonde but not platinum) but with the daddy being a fullblood Chinese, I doubt my genes would win xD (same with eyecolour really, I quite like my pretty bright blue eyes but I've never seen any asian with blue eyes other than in Memoirs of a Geisha so I don't think they carry that particular recessive gene =()

PianoPlaye
August 18th, 2011, 01:43 PM
For some reason not having the same hair color as my kids anymore bothered me. Anyone else feel the same way?
Firstborn is a snowhead gradually turning yellow. (If he follows me all the way, he'll rust to dark mouse with auburn highlights.) Secondborn is a disconcerting copy off his Dad's genetic template, brown even when scrubbed. (Depending on the accuracy of the "copy" he may start greying early.) Youngest is labrador blond. (To be watched with curiosity.)
Folk say the blondes look like me - and there have been some odd looks when people wonder quite how that woman has such different sons... I like the difference & their conduct declares the sibling bond 'way more than any hair colour! :D/:o

Lollipop
August 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I just wanted to say that I look EXACTLY like my mother. I mean, it's uncanny. You can't see it very well with the age difference, but if you look at our childhood portraits and school photos, it's undeniable. We are the same height and have the same coloring (although she is pro-tan and I'm anti-cancer), and the only physical difference is that she has straight hair and mine is curly.

Audhumla
August 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm 19 so no kids here but apparently I look exactly like my aunty when she was young and not much like my mother except for the height which runs in the family.

redcelticcurls
August 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
My birth daughter is a mini me. Interesting with my recessive genes.

http://i55.tinypic.com/hu56o0.jpg

pepperminttea
August 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM
redcelticcurls: That really is uncanny! Does she have your lovely curls too?

redcelticcurls
August 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
redcelticcurls: That really is uncanny! Does she have your lovely curls too?

No, she's about a 2a/b. :)

Her birth father is a 1. I'm a 3. She came out in the middle, lol.

Kristin
August 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I don't have kids, but I am the splitting image of my mom. She has dark hair and dark brown eyes, like me. I was, admittedly, devastated when she dyed her hair red for a period simply because we no longer looked like twins. :( But she's back to brown now. :)

kellinaturalmom
August 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
My birth daughter is a mini me. Interesting with my recessive genes.

http://i55.tinypic.com/hu56o0.jpg

That is CRAZY! You guys look almost exactly alike! Beautiful hair color!

kellinaturalmom
August 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Nope, none of my kids has my coloring, or DH's, for that matter. He's dark-haired and I'm very blond, and we wound up producing a whole slew of shades in the middle, from auburn to sandy blond. He once vowed to keep having kids till he got at least one brunette for "my" three blonds but he chickened out when the fourth was born with transparently white hair and blue eyes. Those pale genes seem not to be as wiltingly recessive as people would expect. :D

That baby is now a towheaded toddler with bright blue eyes but he will probably darken up a good bit over time. I would imagine he will wind up with light brown hair as an adult.

None of them are going to have exactly either of our coloring, though.

I know what you're saying about those "pale" genes. My husband has dark dark brown hair and I have light brown/dark blonde so we both thought the dark would win. But all 3 have my light hair!

homeeduk8tor
August 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Both of my kids look just like my husband. Both got his red hair and features as well as his height.

ladyfey
August 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
my son looks so much like me, my daughter - nope!

curly girl fla
August 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I henna, but have darker curly hair naturally. My 8yo daughter has dark blonde hair, mostly straight with a bit of a wave, and my 6yo has poker-straight light blonde hair. DH has straight hair, but it's reddish (or was, lol). They look more like my husband's family than me in general. It doesn't really bother me, but it always seems so strange to me that my kids came out this way :). Not complaining-they are beautiful with long flowing hair-something that I could never achieve.

spigette
August 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
My son looks quite a bit like me, lol. But a lot like my husband as well. He has my big blue eyes and fair skin, and his Dad's freckles, black hair and dimples. His body is just like his Dad - all long skinny legs and no butt, ha ha ha. He is only 7 and already he is 4 ft 7" tall.

I think he got the best features from both sides. He is going to be gorgeous when he grows up, lol. Not that Mummy is biased, or anything! :D

julliams
August 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
My daughter looks like me in the face but her hair is a dark honey blonde. My son has brown hair and whilst some people say he looks like me, really he doesn't. When people know me but haven't met my kids, they think my daughter is the spitting image of me but can't place my son. He is more my husbands side I think but also looks a little like my sister did when she was little.

Aveyronnaise
August 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Um well sort of ... My son (I think ) looks like me features wise but not so much in the coloring. He is dark strawberry blond , blue eyed and very, very pale. I am on the other hand black haired , olive skinned and brown eyed. So I think people see his color and assume he doesn't look like me.
I had experience with this when I was a kid because my mom had curly golden blonde hair blue eyes and fair skin. People used to give us weird questions all the time.

OH and when my son was an infant I was asked if I was his nanny in the US and France.

RainbowHawk
August 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have four kids, none of whom has a hair color or texture anything like mine (except for the youngest, who has 3a curls-- different color, though). My oldest still manages to look like me, but none of the others do-- to the point that strangers have asked questions like, "What was it like adopting her?" and been surprised to see me breastfeeding them. :rolleyes: Once my younger daughter bumped her head coming off of the slide at the park and this woman came up and tried to pull her out of my arms, saying, "I'll take her to her father!" which was much more traumatic for my kid than the bump on the head had been.

Rusticular
August 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I've no children yet, BUT I did want to stop in and say that my younger sister is the exact image of my mother. I remember seeing a photograph when I was younger of my mother and thinking it was my sister. It was scarily uncanny.

I, however, am more of a mixture. Whether it's because I was the first-born or not, I don't know, but I'm an oddly even mixture of both my mother and my father. Right down to the half-and-half eyes/hair.

Mothers of siblings! Have you noticed if your first-born was more of an even mixture than the younger siblings, or is it really an all-over-the-place thing? I've been curious on the subject for quite a while!

GlassWidow
August 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Once my younger daughter bumped her head coming off of the slide at the park and this woman came up and tried to pull her out of my arms, saying, "I'll take her to her father!" which was much more traumatic for my kid than the bump on the head had been.

Wow...just...wow.

I can't imagine someone making the assumption that just because you don't look much the same, you aren't someone your child knows and trusts. It's not that difficult to tell when a kid is OK about being comforted by a particular person, and when they're not.

GlassWidow
August 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Mothers of siblings! Have you noticed if your first-born was more of an even mixture than the younger siblings, or is it really an all-over-the-place thing? I've been curious on the subject for quite a while! People mistake my children for twins, even though they are 2.5 years apart, and completely different sizes. So, I'd say between my husband and I, the genes are pretty constant.

Mrspuddinhead
August 19th, 2011, 08:17 AM
My baby girl Carleigh is my mini me. She will be three this Sept. In this picture my hair is dyed dark brown. My natural color is closer to Carleigh's. She is a future LHC member. Her hair reaches mid back now. She also has never had a hair cut other then her bangs. We plan to keep it that way.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25f1xuf.jpg

RainbowHawk
August 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Mothers of siblings! Have you noticed if your first-born was more of an even mixture than the younger siblings, or is it really an all-over-the-place thing? I've been curious on the subject for quite a while!

My kids don't really look like one another; More than one person has told me that if they didn't know they would never put the four of them together as siblings. Bean looks like a member of my family, Boobah looks like my ex's sister and several of their cousins, Bella looks like my ex would if he was a little girl instead of a grown man, and Bear is a bit of a mystery. They all have BIG eyes, which they get from me, but they're all different colors-- green, electric blue, dark brown and hazel (mine are amber).

That said, they do look like cousins. I have a picture of my mother's ten grandchildren (she now has 13 grandchildren with another grandchild and a great-grandchild on the way) and all of them definitely look related, despite being every color of the rainbow. My Boobah, who looks nothing like me or anyone else in my immediate family, looks like a pale, straight-haired version of my younger brother's daughter, whose mother is black. Bean looks like an olive-skinned male version of my oldest niece, so much so that people have assumed she was my daughter (she looks more like me than either of my actual daughters) and been really confused to learn otherwise. Bella looks like my older brother's daughter, even though he and I look nothing alike. :shrug:

Wow...just...wow.

I can't imagine someone making the assumption that just because you don't look much the same, you aren't someone your child knows and trusts. It's not that difficult to tell when a kid is OK about being comforted by a particular person, and when they're not.

People just don't think, and it's a shame. Not every child looks like their parents; Not every child is biologically related to their parents!

MychelleC
August 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
My husband and I are both dark haired, dark eyed people. Our eight month old son is a fair skinned redhead (from my grandfather). The "who are his parents" jokes got old pretty fast. :) I keep saying I'm going to dye my hair red to look like him but I know it would look terrible!

GlassWidow
August 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
My husband and I are both dark haired, dark eyed people. Our eight month old son is a fair skinned redhead (from my grandfather). The "who are his parents" jokes got old pretty fast. :) I keep saying I'm going to dye my hair red to look like him but I know it would look terrible!

Have you (jokingly) told anyone you stole him? My friends who have mixed-race children do this sometimes...I always worry that someone will call the police on us!

dragonchickx
August 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
My daughter is my exactly like me but with blonde hair and blue eyes I just red hair and brown eyes.. we still look exactly the same lol.

Zindell
August 20th, 2011, 02:04 PM
She does!

We both have long blond hair and blue eyes. Everytime she happen to visit me at work, my coworkers are mentioning how much we look like each other. :D

Cowgirl16
August 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
My mom and I look identical! We even sound the same :D

I have three sons, they are all the spitting image of me. IMO they all look different but people tell me all the time how much they look alike and look like me. My oldest son's hair color, thickness and curliness is identical to mine. My middle son is a toe head from his dads side of the family and the youngest has dark hair like my moms side of the family.

wooliswonderful
August 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
We have 5 daughters and one son.
Only one of the daughters (8 yo) looks just like me and has the same hair color/type.
Our youngest is nearly 2 and has gorgeous auburn curls. At birth she looked like a redheaded Art Garfunkel. She's making me want to Henna. :)

QueenJoey
August 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Oh, how I wish my hair remotely resembled my mother's stunningly dark, silky straight hair. Instead of her lovely Asian hair, I inherited French hair from my dad, so mine is lighter and very fine.

However, the slight Fillipino-ness (I just made a new word!) in my hair made it slightly wavy, instead of gorgeously curly like my dad's sister. Grrr....

Mesmerise
August 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
My kids all inherited my hair colour to a greater/lesser extent. When their father was their age he was platinum blonde and all mine are what you could call dark blonde/light brown. When I was younger I had the same colour hair as them (only it's gone darker since then... and errm I haven't seen it in its full virginal glory for many years, so it's hard to say what it would look like). I henna my hair now, so it does look different (although I gave my DD a henna gloss which gave hers a reddish tinge).

The thing is the kids' dad's hair has also darkeend to dark blonde, so their hair probably looks more similar to his than mine NOW (especially my middle son who has the lightest hair).

My oldest and youngest kids both have thick hair (no idea where from :p:oand the middle has thin, baby fine hair). The oldest and youngest also have darker skin (nice olivey complexions that go tan in summer) and the middle has fair skin with freckles over his nose! Not sure where the dark skin comes from in my kids (my sister has it so somehow it maybe got passed through me while bypassing me entirely) again, their father had fair freckled skin as a child (me too...although my freckles never faded in adulthood while his did).

Genetics are weird :p. I can see bits of me in all three of my kids, probably more so than their dad, but there are bits where I'm like :confused: where did THAT come from??!!!

Having different hair colour to my kids doesn't bother me, because I know that under the henna we ARE pretty similar!! AND if I didn't colour my hair I'd have a lot of gray, and I'm not going there for a few more years!

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I probably look more like my mom than my dad. My little sister is basically a blonde, blue eyes, Norse looking version of myself. Our brothers are all blonde and blue eyes and take after our dad. I guess my sister got the Norse genes and I got my mom's Scottish genes. I sound a lot like my mom when i talk sometimes... It's weird.

My husband has almost black, very dark brown, slightly curly hair. It's very thick. Very coarse. He has green eyes and pale, slightly pink, freckly skin.
I have very pale skin, with a slight olive tone to it. No freckles. No pink cheeks (except when iI fake with blush), and have brown hair that turns auburn and blonde sometimes when I'm in the sun. I have very very thick hair, that grows very fast, and is slightly wavy. I have green eyes.
I'm about 99% sure our baby will have dark hair that is slightly wavy and have green eyes. :) We'll see in 33 weeks... :)

ladonna
October 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Me:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/ladonna_burick/Picture128-1.jpg
My kids:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/ladonna_burick/Picture012.jpg

nobeltonya
October 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
My older son looks more and more like my husband, the older he gets. He has DARK brown hair [my husbands is jet black] and I have reddish brown [not super dark] hair, which is closer to my younger sons [although his is lighter, he has my natural red highlights]. The younger one also has more my eyes: mine are hazel, and his are darker green, while the older one has solid brown eyes like daddy. The younger one [also a mamma's boy] looks more like me. He also has my rabbit teeth :), while the older one has smaller, normal teeth more like my husband. It's neat how different they are. The older one is going to be tall and skinny, small waist and chicken legs like my husband. Younger one not sure yet, but he's getting tall also.

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
my daughters hair is my natural haircolor, a nice brown, she looks a lot like me and it gets more by the day. her eyes and energy are exact copies of me. she looks so much like my boyfriend too who isnt her biological dad:-)

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Me:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/ladonna_burick/Picture128-1.jpg
My kids:
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae328/ladonna_burick/Picture012.jpg

ohh your kids are super cute!! and they sure look like you!especially the boy:)

MandyBeth
October 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I say no, and they really shouldn't because they are all foster kids :)

HOWEVER - the 3 littles, in the summer, everyone figured they were just tanned (they are half Latino), got the dark hair and eyes from me, the boys got their height from DH, and the curls are from his 4c hair mixed with my 1c hair.

The teenager, naw, nothing like either of us at all really. Medium-dark hair, blue eyes. Adorable kid if you ask me, but nothing like DH or me.

MrsGuther
October 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Both my daughters have blonde hair and blue eyes like me and my husband. My oldest daughter looks like my husband's little clone. My newest baby looks mostly like me.

Orangerthanred
October 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I don't have children and I don't want any ever, but all I can say is I look nothing like either of my parents. Different eye shapes and colours, extremely different hair types and colours, different body shapes, different voices, extreeemely different personalities and attitudes, different skin tones even.

I'm the black sheep. My brother looks more like my mom than I do, and I'm a girl!

VikingVampChick
October 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM
DD4 is an even blend of myself and DH. As she gets older she looks more and more like pics of me as a child, but her eyes are ALL her Daddy. People who know me say she looks like me, people who know DH say she looks like him. She really just looks like us both. Acts like us too...

Why do I get the feeling that's as much of uh-oh for you as it is for us?

Love my mini-me :)

teal
October 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Yep, they do. They have my (lack of) patience, too. Greeeaaaat. :P

VikingVampChick
October 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I probably look more like my mom than my dad. My little sister is basically a blonde, blue eyes, Norse looking version of myself. Our brothers are all blonde and blue eyes and take after our dad. I guess my sister got the Norse genes and I got my mom's Scottish genes. I sound a lot like my mom when i talk sometimes... It's weird.

My husband has almost black, very dark brown, slightly curly hair. It's very thick. Very coarse. He has green eyes and pale, slightly pink, freckly skin.
I have very pale skin, with a slight olive tone to it. No freckles. No pink cheeks (except when iI fake with blush), and have brown hair that turns auburn and blonde sometimes when I'm in the sun. I have very very thick hair, that grows very fast, and is slightly wavy. I have green eyes.
I'm about 99% sure our baby will have dark hair that is slightly wavy and have green eyes. :) We'll see in 33 weeks... :)

Congrats!!

pittsburgpam
October 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
My daughters look very much like me. One is/was blonde, turning light brown, with green eyes like her father. The oldest is dark hair dyed auburn and brown eyes. I was blonde until around highschool and have brown eyes.

The nicest compliment I ever received was a woman at my work where the oldest was interning said to me, "Your daughter is beautiful! She looks just like you."

(pics of us both in my album)

ccmso12
October 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM
My DD10 is identical to me. darker complexion, dark eyes, and dark hair.--she like it-Yesterday when I picked her up from school one of her classmates said she looked just like her mom. She said "Thank you", then squeezed me and whispered ,"its a compliment mom".

My DD2 looks nothing like us white/blonde hair, transluscent complexion, and bright blue eyes. (like my husbands mom)

My husband has blue eyes, sandy hair, but also a darker complexion.

Lostsoule77
October 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I have no kids yet, but I look alot like my mom. My one sister looks identical to her! My brother looks just like my dad. My youngest sister I think is a 50/50 split. People who know my mom say she looks just like her and same thing with my dad. My other sister didn't use to look like any of us. (We were mean siblings growing up and told her she was adopted.) When we used to go out people wouldn't believe it when we said we were sisters. Now they do. I don't think any of us really has our parents coloring though. My dad had blue eyes. I can't remember what color my mom's eyes were, but I'm pretty sure they were blue too. My sister's are lt blue, but not the same shade. My brother & other sister both have green and I have hazel green. Our hair is all shades of brown kind of like my mom, but she had thin pin straight hair. My brother, sister, and I all have thick hair & mine is 2b or maybe 2c and my sister is 3a. We think my dad's dk brown hair might've done this, but he was bald and kept his hair short so not sure. His sister's hair is straight.

tinywife
October 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
This thread is making me so excited to have kids!! I can't wait to see who they look like.
I have baby fever really bad...sigh.

My husband's family is pretty uniform: fair skin, sandy brown hair, brown eyes. I match them pretty well.
My siblings, on the other hand, are ivory/pink/olive, with white blonde/dark brown hair, and grey/green/gold/brown eyes.
I assumed our kids would look like me and my husband until my mom spoke up, "You just wait until those recessive genes show up. You have no idea what you're going to get!" It's funny but true!

teal
October 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I assumed our kids would look like me and my husband until my mom spoke up, "You just wait until those recessive genes show up. You have no idea what you're going to get!" It's funny but true!

This is true.. DH has brown eyes and my eyes are a brown hazel, but wouldn't you know it - we ended up with two blue-eyed kids. One's as pale as me and the other's as dark as Daddy, too.

HumanBean
October 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
My son is built like me (long waisted) and has my face shape, and yes, my hair. His eyes are brown though, like his dad's.

LadyKate
October 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I don't have any yet, though I can't wait to see what they look like! My fiance's niece actually looks a lot like me, her mom (fiance's sister) says she looks more like my kid than hers! When we're out people often assume she's mine.

Rini
October 25th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Both my sons look exactly like my husband. It's not fair! I contributed half of the genetic material and did ALL the hard work and I get NO recognition.....j/k :D They're cute though.. ;)

Melisande
October 25th, 2011, 12:14 AM
My sons inherited my husband's blue eyes, my daughters have brown eyes like me. My dark blonde/light brown hair color went to all my children. One of the boys has a definite reddish tinge (like I had when I was young) and one of the girls has a tick more brown but they're very close in color. My husband's dark brown went nowhere ;-)

So did his tight curls. One of the girls has beautiful curls (she resembles her father a lot, I think), but the others have straight hair like me.

They are quite a mix, I feel. When people see me with one of the children, they'll say: oh, he/she looks just like you. The same happens when they see them with my husband. My husbad claims that we must be looking alike ;-)

My eldest son looks like a strong Viking, the second is stringy and skinny. My elder daughter looks like a curly fairy, and the younger one like a tomboy with long hair. I don't see similiarity between them but others always say they look alike. My mother has a theory about family similarity - a kind of family look that is influenced by home atmosphere. This is probably why people always said my stepfather and I resembled...

The most fascinating thing is when traits of family members appear in my children. My eldest son has the crazy laugh of my father, my daughter exactly the beautiful hands of my SIL and the stubbornness of my aunt... and my youngest resembles my mother in character and looks very, very much.

It's magic, and it's beautiful, and it's very very humbling.

JamieLeigh
October 25th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I've pretty much pinned down where all of my kids get their looks...and it's interesting to see which hair qualities they've picked up.

The immediate genetic background: My hair was light brown, straight, thick and 'medium/coarse' when I was younger, but now after 5 kids, 7 pregnancies and med+stress sheds, I'm sporting dark brown, wavy, thin, fine/medium hair. :( My ex's hair is thick, black, wavy and coarse. Both of ours grows pretty fast. The current Mr. JamieLeigh has dark brown, straight, 'medium', thin hair. His grows very slowly.

DD10 looks like a good mix of my ex and myself (thankfully she took all of the positive characteristics from both...that could have been a catastrophe in the making), same with the hair. She has outrageously thick, wavy light brown hair, that grows super-fast, and she has been bitten by the Rapunzel bug again. (Thank you, Tangled!!)

DS8 was the odd one that I couldn't ever truly place, until my grandmother's brother died. There was a photo of him taken when he was 5 or 6 years old, and he was the spit'n'image of my son. I was shocked! :D DS8 has very coarse, black, straight, thin hair that also grows fast.

DS7 is my ex made over. Except for the hair, which is thick, straight and the same light brown as his older sister, and it grows really fast.

DD6 is ME made over. Except that her hair is fine like floss, quite blonde and straight, and grows very slowly. She has also been bitten by the Rapunzel bug, and I'm praying she doesn't notice anytime soon that her sister is making more progress than she has. :(

DS4 is Mr JamieLeigh made over. :D The only difference is the hair colour - blonde like his sister's.

The only things ALL of my kids have in common are my dimples (one in each side of our faces, though the left one is deeper), my near-sightedness, my intellect (so far all of the school-age kids are SUPER FAST readers and in the gifted program...I was the same!) and that annoying-as-hell cowlick right in the middle of my forehead.

infinity_girl
October 25th, 2011, 02:27 AM
My older son has mid brown hair and hazel eyes like me. My younger son looks very Middle Eastern like his papa. Dark brown/black hair and black eyes and tanned skin. They don't look like brothers at all.

ssjhotau2
October 25th, 2011, 02:37 AM
My son looks very muck like me. A pretty decent clone lol. He has his father's eyebrows, possibly his nose, and his mouth- but he has my hair (color and type exactly), my eyes, my cheekbones, my jaw/chin, my forehead, my teeth lol. And the only way I can pinpoint what he gets from his dad? is because I can pick out the similarities between him and his half sister.

I think as he gets older though his hair will be darker than mine. I was born with a full head of jet black hair that turned white, then strawberry blond, then honey blond, and then a warm reddish dark blond/light brown. He was born with black hair that lightened to honey blond- so if the trend holds true it should darken a decent amount as he grows.

Mina17
October 25th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I don't think my son looks anything like me. My hair is light brown, wavy, and I have green eyes. His hair is darker, stick straight and he has brown eyes. He doesn't really look much like his father either, but there is a strong resemblance between him and his two male cousins on his father's side.

My brother's daughter, however, looks so much like me it's eery. Same hair, same eye shape (but not the same color), same face shape, even acts a lot like I did at that age. She looks more like she could be my child than my son does.

Lucky
October 25th, 2011, 06:22 AM
My DH and I both have dark hair (his is black and curly, mine is auburn and straight), but our children both have dirty blond hair, though I expect that it'll darken as they get older. DH and I both were toe head blonds when we were young children.

DS looks a lot like DH, especially in the eyes, but he does have my family's infamous chin. DD is a mini-me, except she has brown eyes and mine are green.

Oddly enough, my kids really resemble each other a lot, you can definitely tell they're bro and sis :heart:

summergreen
October 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
My son and daughter don't look much like me, both have dark hair and eyes, I have green eyes and although my hairs darkish brown and silver now, it was medium, warm brown at their age.

Apart from colouring, my son looks just like my dad in photographs of him as a young man. He's got thick shaggy hair that grows a mile a minute (so lucky!) My daughter has curly/wavy hair which she gets from my mum's dad; apart from that she's like her father's family, round face, cute nose, straight eyebrows - I wish I looked like her, she always says she'd rather look like me (age aside, I guess!)

They looked very alike as young children and people would ask if they were twins. (although boy/girl twins wouldn't necessarily look alike?!) which they absolutely hated!!

kellinaturalmom
February 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Anyone out there have 3 or more of either girls or boys? My sister has 2 girls and is pregnant with her 3rd girl. The first 2 have dark almost black hair and brown eyes like their dad and I know she is dreaming of a green eyed auburn hair like herself for the new one. It's possible I guess...

PrairieRose
February 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Anyone out there have 3 or more of either girls or boys? My sister has 2 girls and is pregnant with her 3rd girl. The first 2 have dark almost black hair and brown eyes like their dad and I know she is dreaming of a green eyed auburn hair like herself for the new one. It's possible I guess...

I have 3 boys! All three have slightly different texture hair and all of them have darker hair then me. Plus all three have a different eye color, but yet they still look like brothers!

mommy2two
February 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
My DD2 and DSS11 look just alike, except she has her daddy's curls! My hubby has some strong genes!! But my DD has my nose, eye color and lips!! I have yet to figure out why she looks like her daddy! She acts just like me and my DS acts just like his daddy!!

renee2day
February 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM
My husband is a dark golden blondette that other people call dark or brown, with green eyes, very thick medium course hair.
I'm blue eyed with blondette, lighter than his hair that most people say is blonde but some will argue is brunette, (its all perception).
We have 4 sons, three blue eyed blondes and one hazel brown eyed brunette.
The oldest has golden skin, golden ash blonde hair and periwinkle blue eyes. He has decided curl to his hair. There is a strong resemblence in the eyes and people think he looks like me but I can see dads contribution.
DS2 has more clear toned skin with dark brunette, he doesn't look like either of us although he is built like his dad. We joke that we don't know who the mother is. He looks like his auntie, my SIL.
DS3 most closely resembles me. Sometimes he looks just like a blonde version of my dad.
DS4 looks just like his dad except his eyes are blue and his hair hasn't darkened yet. Everyone says he looks more like me but that's only cause of the coloring, his features, build and structure are all his dad.

People mistook my mom and me for sisters because of coloring but my face structure and body type are all my dad who is brown eyed brunette.

Its funny how we are all a mix and how much genetic diversity two people can express.

B-L
February 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM
My oldest is a lot like me. He has brown hair and big brown eyes. Oliv tanned just like me. You can see that he's mine :) But his physique is more his fathers bcuz he is very tall for his age as is his dad. My baby boy is nothing like me :lol: he is all his dad :D He got light hair and skin. More narrow and blue eyes.. if I didn't gave birth to him I would wonderd if he's mine :)

B-L
February 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM
My sister and her husband have both brown hair and eyes.
They have 3 sons: DS1 has blond hair and dark brown eyes, DS2 has almost platinum blonde hair and green eyes and the last DS3 has brown-reddish hair and blue eyes :D

Kira94
February 25th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I don't have kids yet, but my siblings and I are pretty much a perfect mix of our parents. My one brother looks slightly more like my mom, and the other brother looks a bit more like my dad, then I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle. Whichever parent I'm beside people say "Oh she looks so much like you!" :D

lunalocks
February 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
People tell me my daughter is my twin, tho she has green eyes and mine are blue. her skin is pale like mine and we were both real blondies when little and grew into blondish brownies with a hint of red, while her dad is more swarthy, has brown eyes and dark hair. She got his thinner hair strands, tho. The funny thing is that my nephew and niece (by marriage) all have the same color hair, that neither of their parents have, but is just like mine! When we are all together, people mistake all the kids for being mine (I kinda like it) and are certain my daughter and my nephew are twins.

rock007junkie
February 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM
My boy is the exact picture of his father when he was younger. The only difference is that the father has blue eyes and blond hair and my boy has brown hair (which I can only expect to get lighter as time goes by just like his father's) and brown eyes like mine. He's starting to look a little bit more like me now but he looks more like his father.

Prettychild
February 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I am the typical hispanic girl, olive skin, dark brown eyes and black hair. My husband was really blond as a child and now his hair is brown, his eyes are hazel. Our son is fair skinned with reddish medium blond hair and light brown eyes. His body type is exactly his dad's -tall and lanky-. When I go out with my boy we don't look remotely related.:p

gibsongirl71
February 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM
This is a fun question! My oldest looks like hubby except for his coloring. Youngest looks more like me. Now that being said......

My dad is half spanish and has black hair, swarthy skin and brown eyes. Mom is scotch/English and is fair/freckled with hazel eyes. All three of us kids are all fair/freckled/brown hair/blue/green eyes.

Now my hubby is light olive skinned/dark brown hair/brown eyes. I was hoping our kids would have his coloring, but no. They are like me. Fair/freckled. Funny how all that genetics stuff works.

My only disappointment is no one, not my 2 kids or my 4 nieces have green eyes like me. All beautiful blue, but no green. Oh well, there are always future grandchildren to think of. Maybe green eyes skip a generation.:D

roundforest
February 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM

My husband and I have five daughters. The oldest two have their dad's colouring - olive skin, brown eyes and hair. The twins have paler skin, grey eyes and hair that started blonde and has darkened to brown, like me - they're 11. (Seen here as toddlers.) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9845&pictureid=127119 The youngest has her father's skin and eyes, but her hair began dark brown and has lightened to dark blonde, at age two.

RedBlue
February 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I've been mistaken for my mother quite alot of times! The only difference is our eye colors. Her eyes are green and mine are blue. We have the same natural hair color (dark brown), but her hair has been so many colors, I haven't seen her with her natural color in all my life. I guess I look more like my mom than my dad, but my paternal grandmother thinks I look like my dad. My dad and I have the same blue eyes and chubby cheeks. I say that I look like my mom, act like my dad.

GuardGirl
February 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
My daughter has ALWAYS looked like the spitting image of her dad, and not just with hair color. It used to bother me that I went through so much to bring her into the world for her not to look like me, but she acts like me and now that she's 2 more people think she's starting to resemble me, so I guess it evens out in the end. Thank goodness, she has smooth silky waves instead of my dry frizzy mop!

Coan-Teen
February 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I don't look like either of my parents. I have certain features that resemble each of them but as a whole I share no resemblance. Even my hair is a different color. I think my mom always hoped I'd grow up to have her blonette color, but I never did. My hair is far more reddish than hers.

Piyo
February 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Well, I don't have any kids, but I do look quite a bit like my mom, and a little like my dad, but I'm not really colored like they are. I like lighter skin than both of them, and my eyes are blue (they both have brown eyes) and my hair is lighter than their medium-dark brown hair.

dulce
February 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
My daughter looks and acts exactly like my mom,and my son looks like my dad and resembles him,even to the style of walk.We lived way across the country so the kids did not see them much.It's funny what genes will do.

Naiadryade
February 25th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I don't have kids yet, but I look almost exactly like my mom did at my age--you might mistake a picture of her then for me--except that I have my dad's hair. My mom's hair is coarse, kinky, very thick, and black (until she started going grey and dying dirty blonde). My dad's, my brother's, and my hair are all medium, smooth and dark brown (well, my dad is salt and peppery now).

I'm glad I don't have coarse hair, but I am envious of my mom's hair for one thing... when she was my age, and for many of her younger years, she had classic-length hair. The pictures (that look like me) are beautiful!! I hope I inherited her terminal length, at least... we'll find out!

bettylibertine
February 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
My son, facially, looks exactly like I did at his age. We seem to have the same hair type but he has a completely different hair colour. I like to think of him as calico - sandy blonde/brown with blonde highlights, a ginger stripe at the back - he even has grey coming in :laugh:
I've always been dark.
It doesn't really bother me that we don't have the same hair colour - though it was rather a surprise when his hair started going blonde as DBF and I both had black hair as children.

Sheryl
February 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
One child looks like me and my family and has her dad's temperament, the other is the spitting image of his dad with my personality. It is amazing how much of us our children inherit.

infinity_girl
February 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM
DS1 has my skin tone (pale), eye colour and hair colour. DS2 has jet black hair and deep brown eyes and looks Middle-Eastern like his papa.

daniew0708
February 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
my oldest son could be my twin we look so much alike.

1nuitblanche
February 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Everyone says my boy looks like me... I was hoping he'd look like his daddy.

ladyshep
February 27th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I took my daughter to her 2nd grade class this morning and one of her friends smiled at me and told me my M looks like me. Awwwww.