PDA

View Full Version : Hair assistance needed

AnqeIicDemise
August 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Those of you who know me or follow my blog, I recently got a job at a salon's call center. It is a VERY posh, five star, super famous in the PNW salon. (If you figure out what the name is, please don't make it public. I've been asked by a legal binding contract to not mention their name in forums, blogs or other media that may or may not display their name under scrutiny. I would really like to keep my job. And that reminds me to edit my blog if I've mentioned them. :o ) With this in mind, we have a really strict dress code when it comes to our appearance.

Although we are in a call center environment, their call center is located in their home office and get frequent visitors. Also, since it is the nature of the business, we must be very fashion forward-- and as long as the garb is in proper shape, clean, fits our body type and personality, I can wear just about anything I want (Save the usual culprits of jeans and sneakers, of course!) I've also been given the green light to keep my purple streaks as long as they're properly maintained (i.e. no terrible fading, orange or gold bits sticking out from where the dye faded and bleach job missed)...

My big problem though? No pony tails or buns allowed. :(

I advised the manager that I can appreciate the dress code as I understand the nature of the business but that I am currently growing my hair and will not heat style or let my hair loose for prolonged periods of time. I may dye my hair and bleach chunks of it, but that is the extent of damaging I wish to inflict on it. After all, we *are* Salon representatives out in the wild and having fried, damaged hair due to infrequent hair cuts/trims would be terrible. With the previous statement in mind, I asked if I could keep wearing my hair up in buns. She has shown her discretion by allowing me to keep wearing my hair up *as long* as the hair style is fashionable. Meaning I can't get lazy and do simple cinabuns days on end or lazy wraps. I have a few styles in my armory that can definitely be accepted, but they are few in number.

Anyone have ideas on what I could do? Fridays are casual days so I can get away with a braid or two. :D

PS: I for one am thrilled as she told me I can go crazy with the hair toys as long as they are tasteful. YES!

neko_kawaii
August 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Having just discovered how easy and pretty Rose Buns are, that is the first thing that comes to mind. Have you looked through the Style Instruction Links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235) page? I have slowly been making my way through the Hair Style Dictionary (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=259752#post259752) and learning new styles.

AnqeIicDemise
August 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Having just discovered how easy and pretty Rose Buns are, that is the first thing that comes to mind. Have you looked through the Style Instruction Links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235) page? I have slowly been making my way through the Hair Style Dictionary (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=259752#post259752) and learning new styles.

I do rose buns with enough frequency where I may get in trouble for not changing it up. I also do various version s of crown braids with buns (simple or rose bun, they look so pretty) and a bit of others as pictured in my album. My problem is they may be a little too 'old fashioned' to be considered fashion forward.

Though some of these may work.

I'm such a Fashion DON'T its not even really funny.

dulce
August 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM
How about a french twist or a figure 8? Or a sleek french braid down the back or to one side?Ficcares,flexi 8's and forks and hairsticks look so stylish.Or a topsy tail ponytail down the back or a topsy tail ponytail down the back and then braided? Or a flexi 8 holding a drop bun? I think they feel a bun is not the image they wish to project.They want more pizzazz being a high end salon,luckily they don't ask you to cut it..Check utube for stylish long hair styles-there's lots there.How about a ponytail twisted throughout it's length with a scarf then tied in a bow at the bottom??

BeckyAH
August 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
There are also multi-strand braids - and french braids - that I think would work well. Also rope braids/rope braid buns. You might also add some clip in colored extensions to the design and end up with something really fun and funky.

AnqeIicDemise
August 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
How about a french twist or a figure 8? Or a sleek french braid down the back or to one side?Ficcares,flexi 8's and forks and hairsticks look so stylish.Or a topsy tail ponytail down the back or a topsy tail ponytail down the back and then braided? Or a flexi 8 holding a drop bun? I think they feel a bun is not the image they wish to project.They want more pizzazz being a high end salon,luckily they don't ask you to cut it..Check utube for stylish long hair styles-there's lots there.How about a ponytail twisted throughout it's length with a scarf then tied in a bow at the bottom??

It seems like I'm going to have to invest in more hair toys to fit this standard.

I do appreciate the ideas and I think I'll have to make a hobby out of trying out styles when I get home from work and on my days off.

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hm... I'm not sure what I would do here. Maybe go for a Katy Perry look. It looks drastic, because it is, but you can simplify it. Maybe clip it up and braid it partially. Just an idea. Here's a photo: http://katy-perry.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/kpETbrown.jpg

neko_kawaii
August 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I bet, if you made a list of all the styles you are already familiar with and their variations you would have more styles at your fingertips than you think you know, and done with the toys you currently have. Then you can add new styles and toys as time and money allow.

Your hair in your album pics is lovely! I wouldn't worry too much about old fashioned styles as I doubt your coworkers see such styles very often. You could become a trend setter. *wink*