PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to wash your hair?

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
From start to finish how long is your hair washing routine? This can include pre pooing, washing, conditioning, detangling, oiling, and styling or whichever order you do it in lol.

Lollipop
August 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'll report back after washing tomorrow :p

Buggheart
August 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Depends on the day. Most days I'm sitting at home working so I shower which includes washing, conditioning then air drying. So maybe 5 minutes to wash and condition, air drying takes about an hour. I usually braid at night so add another minute there.

If I'm actually going out that day I'll hit it with the hairdryer to style or use a curling iron on air dried hair. So like 5 minutes there.

It's amazing how my hair routine time has drastically decreased as I got older. I remember getting up at 5:30 am to do my hair and makeup for school. Now I can shower and totally get ready to go out in 30 minutes.

Madora
August 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
2 hours..sometimes a little longer due to health issues. I use a bath chair.

BeckyAH
August 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
It probably adds all of 2 minutes to my shower (I CWC but do other things while conditoner sits). Post shower detangling takes a maybe a whole minute and a half (it's easy, because it's super conditioned). The longest part is the styling thing - the bulk of my hair gets absolutely nothing more done to it, except maybe thrown up in a bun or clip. My bangs, on the other hand, get straightened and styled, which does take a good five minutes.

So, total, ten minutes?

**ETA** If we're including drying time, somewhere between 4 and 24 hours, depending on if it's up or down. But I'm not doing anything with it during that time, just leaving it alone. Also, as a previous poster said, my 'getting ready' thing has gotten much, much shorter as I've gotten older. In high school it was HOURS. Now, in my thirties, I can be up and out the door within half an hour.

Quetiepi
August 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
i comb it before I wash to make sure there are no tangles, then it takes 10 minutes to shampoo, condition and bathe. I squeeze the water out of it and wrap it up in a turbie twist towel for @ 30 minutes. I comb it out, put on a plastic headband & air dry for a little over an hour. I like to keep things simple.

torrilin
August 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Variable. Highly variable.

Shortest possible routine is scalp wash, dilute vinegar rinse, and leave in conditioner. Total is maybe 10 minutes, including all my detangling. Longest would be CWC with a heavy protein conditioner, since that might get left in for rather a long time. Even so... it doesn't change my total shower time. A lot of the "sit and soak" steps can be worked in around other stuff, so I don't spend time waiting and instead can get clean.

Worst case scenario, I can wake up at 7am and be out the door dressed and looking presentable at 8am. Usually I can fit breakfast into that too, tho I'll feel rushed if I do.

dRummie
August 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
About 10-15 minutes. Though washing hair always includes showering, so total 20-30. Air drying is 5-6 hours :mad:, and I haven't used a blow dryer enough to know how long it takes.

Ermine
August 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM
10 minute shower. 1 minute to detangle, and 7 minutes to blow dry/style. Or about 45 minutes to air dry.

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I start a new hair care routine tomorrow. So I will let you know. :D

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Oh man these times are pretty amazing it takes me at least five minutes to co wash and then condition my hair. If I do the actual whole process of washing, conditioning, detangling, and then moisturizing and styling that takes at least an hour and a half. Do you think that it takes people with curly or kinky hair longer to do the whole process, because even when I go on boards with individuals who have my hair type it seems as if things like detangling takes up at least twenty minutes.

BlazingHeart
August 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Well, it takes me about an hour to wash my hair, wash my body, and then towel both off. Then I spend about another hour with my hair in a series of three turbies (replacing them when they get wet through). Then my hair airdries, which can take up to 24 hours (minimum is around 6 hours, if I'm in a dry climate on a warm day in the sun).

~Blaze

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah I have came to the conclusion that airdrying takes too long ):

Roscata
August 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM
10 minutes to wash/condition/detangle, about 1 hour to air dry, and to style it about 1 minute. That makes a total of one hour and 11 minutes on wash days twice per week, but on the other days just 1-2 minutes to detangle and style it.

oktobergoud
August 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Uh well the washing itself just takes me a minute, and then I use conditioner that I just leave in for a while, just a few minutes... and that's it :P
I just let it air-dry and comb it a bit afterwards and tadaa.. done! So in total 5 minutes or so?

Air-drying takes longer than 5 minutes, obviously :P Have no idea how long it takes... an hour?

Shesta
August 18th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Pre-wash detangling/combing = 5 min
Shampoo = 3 min
Conditioner = 3-5 min
Rinsing with tea/vinegar = 2 min
Towel wrap = 15 min
Detangling/oiling = 5-7 min (this is the part I enjoy most :) )
Air drying = about 60 min

Total = ~ 1.5 hrs

Loreley
August 18th, 2011, 02:30 AM
About 20 minutes + half a day air drying.

PolarCathy
August 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Ten minutes plus (air) drying.

MissAlida
August 18th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I don't wash my hair while showering, I rather wash it separately. I bend over the bath tub. It takes about 10-15 minutes to wash and another 2 hours to air dry.

Heatherzilla
August 18th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Wow, these times are pretty epic. We're supposed to limit our showers to around 4 minutesish around here. I probably spend a little longer on hair wash days but it's still roughly around that. I tend to finger detangle after I shower and then let it air dry which can take a couple hours depending on the weather and whether I leave it down. So I take maybe 6 minutes including detangling. =]

lunalesca
August 18th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Washing hair extends my shower routine by 5 minutes I guess :p Then about 2 hours air-drying.

Ligeia_13
August 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM
The same as lunalesca I think. Although on conditioner, my hair seems to take longer to dry. Hmm.

kidari
August 18th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Most times I'll oil my hair about a few hours before I jump in the shower, this takes a couple minutes. My entire shower including everything I do is anywhere from 15-20 minutes and I always turn off the water in the middle when I wash my body. I detangle in the shower and I don't need to at all afterwards. I sleep with it wet and it dries by morning then I put it up which takes 2 minutes at most. If I'm wearing it down for a special occasion it takes 5 minutes tops since all I do is take down my updo for bun waves and style it into place. SMT's and dying my hair obviously takes longer.

Curly Hermione
August 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
About half an hour if i actually get in the shower, properly co wash, condition, detangle with comb, scrunch, t-shirt squeeze, apply serum etc. But strangely that seems to halve when i just kneel on the floor, stick my head under the shower head, just massage my scalp, condition, finger detangle, scrunch, t-shirt squeeze, serum etc. So, 15 to 30 mins. Then about 4 hours (at least) to air dry.

Alaia
August 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I do mine in the shower with my usual showerly activities.

The actual time spent washing varies depending on what week it is (every other week until mid September I'm using a 12 minute conditioner once a week with just a cream rinse when I'm not using the conditioner, then after that I will be using a 1 min conditioner once a week and the 12 min one once a month). Without the 12 minute conditioner I'd say the actual hair washing takes about 5 minutes (wet hair, shampoo, cream rinse, rinse it out and use a final cold rinse). Otherwise it goes up to 20 minutes (that's wetting the hair, shampooing, leaving the conditioner in for 12 minutes, washing it out, using the cream rinse, rinsing that out and finishing with a cold water rinse).

Before I changed to this washing method it would take me 10 minutes (CWC).

But then my hair takes 8 hours to dry afterwards :lol:

vendethiel
August 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM
It takes me about 2 minutes to detangle prewash. Then about 10 minutes of wash time, unless I do something special then about 15 minutes. Five minutes of gentle toweling and oiling. Then about about an hour wrapped in a towel to become mostly dry. If I go straight to bed with wet hair it can be 12 hours before it is dry, otherwise it will be fully dry in about 2 hours.

sun-kissed
August 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
1 minute detangle time before shower.

If it's been less than 3 days since last wash: I can do a simple 5-minute WO rinse.

If 4: If my hair is extra oily, then it may take 10-15 minutes of shower time to try to WO it all out out.

If 5: If it's to the point of being waxy, then I will take five minutes to massage unsidedown before the shower, three minutes to condition my length, then do a 10-second rinse with heavily diluted oil shampoo. Then I condition again, rinse for four minutes.

Drying time: I towl dry it for 10 seconds, then toss it into a bun for the next 1/2 hour. After that I'll let it down to finish drying(about one hour), then comb it out when dry.

Styling: It depends on what style I am doing. Sometimes it's a simple sock bun or hairstick bun, and will take but 60 seconds. But if it's a french/rope/etc. braid or something new or fancy, it can take up to 10-15 minutes.

Oiling: I oil whenever I need it, which is every other day or so, and have no idea how little time I spend on it.

S&Ding: I spend about one hour a week, depending on how much time I have.

Yame
August 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know exactly, but I can come up with an estimate. On non-wash days (which is usually 6 days per week), my showers take about 10 minutes. On wash day, my showers take about 30 minutes. So I think it takes me about 20 minutes to wash my hair...

I do CWC, but I do it a couple of times (2 or 3) until my hair feels clean. And each time I have to rinse, it takes a while. I think that's why it takes me so long.

longcurlygirl<3
August 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Oiling-10 mins - non-wash days.
prepoo- 5 mins - the night before
wash-5 mins
condition-5-6 mins
detangle-15 mins {fingers first then wide-tooth comb]
Styling-5mins
------------------------------------------------
45 mins :) and I wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

CurlyCap
August 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Co-Washing (90&#37; of the time): 5mins to co-wash, maybe 2 minutes to add leave in conditioner and sealer.

Shampoo +Conditioner (rarely, when I feel my scalp needs it): 15 minutes total. It's mostly the additional rinsing between shampoo and conditioner that eats up the time.

I will admit that I do a lot of this unconsciously. It's no more thought of that lathering up the soap. Maybe that's what makes it fast?

Chetanlaiho
August 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Long xD I CO quite vigorously to make sure I get everything. And well I tend to cram all the shower stuff into one shower so honestly, between actually being in the shower and after-shower stuff, it takes me over an hour xD

pepperminttea
August 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Alright, I'll be honest... 3 hours.

But that is from going in the bathroom in my dressing gown with heavily oiled hair, to decent and presentable for the outside world. It's the full, relaxing, "saved it up until Sunday so I could do it slowly" kind of wash: Pre-shower CO soak of around 20 mins, a 20-30 minute shower (water's turned on and off as necessary), sitting on a towel in front of the computer with my hair in a towel turban for 30-60 minutes, and then damp detangling, applying leave-ins, damp bunning, and getting the rest of me sorted; dressed, brushed teeth, perfume, earrings, etc. So three hours isn't as bad as it sounds, I make it quite a nice, calming process, and wash day is the most time I spend on my hair all week. I can cut it down to 1.5-2 hours if I need to be 'quick', but if I know I'll be in a rush I just do it the night before (since I'm really not a morning person).

nycelle
March 14th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I timed how long it took me to WCC today.

So I shampoo my scalp twice. I use sulfate free so really want it to be squeaky clean and last the 3 days between shampoos (i wash every 4th day.)
I massage it into my scalp both times, then just leave it and let the lather soak up an excess oils. The entire process, shampooing and rinsing, took me 12 minutes.

Then I slathered on the first conditioner, waited 3 minutes then rinsed. The rinsing.. omg.. takes sooo long. A good 8 minutes until my hair and back didn't feel slippery anymore.
Finally it was time for my deep conditioner. Another 5 minutes waiting for it to do what it promises, then another 10 washing it out. Took longer the second time around.

Just my hair routine alone, on BSL hair took: 38 minutes. Can't imagine how long it takes to wash longer hair.

chomsky
March 14th, 2018, 09:05 AM
40 mins, the shower probably only runs for 10 mins. I do leave my shampoo to sit on my hair for 5 mins and a bulk of my wash day is trying to get my hair wet wet.

Edit: this time also includes a shower, and sometimes exfoliating.

It can take an hour if my hair doesn't want to be plaited, because I have to undo and redo (usually only once or twice) until it cooperates.

school of fish
March 14th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Well... I wash my hair daily as part of my morning shower, and I'm in and out within about 10min, so I guess the actual washing part is pretty quick. If I factor in detangling that's a few extra minutes, and dry time would extend the process by an hour or so, but I'm getting on with life as it's drying so I don't really feel that counts :p

My full routine is:
- detangle before shower
- shampoo & rinse
- condition & rinse using comb to assist rinse-out
- wrap hair in towel briefly then shake excess water out
- detangle damp
- air dry

nycelle
March 14th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Well... I wash my hair daily as part of my morning shower, and I'm in and out within about 10min, so I guess the actual washing part is pretty quick. If I factor in detangling that's a few extra minutes, and dry time would extend the process by an hour or so, but I'm getting on with life as it's drying so I don't really feel that counts :p

My full routine is:
- detangle before shower
- shampoo & rinse
- condition & rinse using comb to assist rinse-out
- wrap hair in towel briefly then shake excess water out
- detangle damp
- air dry

Wow, impressive. I'm 10-15 minutes on days I don't wash my hair. Hmm..I need to step up my shower game..

lapushka
March 14th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Ooh a question I hadn't seen and hadn't yet answered! :)

Detangling is about a couple minutes (with the TT, Tangle Teezer). I may or may not use a spray detangler - it depends on how I feel.

Then washing, takes 12-15 min. Shampooing. Then C, 2 min., rinse. Oil rinse on bottom inches, then C, 2 min., rinse. So it's about 4 min. of waiting and the rest is sectioning the scalp making sure every bit is covered in shampoo and massaging the scalp.

Then I leave my hair in a microfiber turbie for 30-45 min. (depends on the day), and then I detangle one last time with my WB dupe (Wet Brush dupe aka "wet detangler") and apply my styling products (LOC/LCO method). Clip it up, let air dry.

After about 2-4H, I diffuse for 5 min.

Then it's done!

MoonRabbit
March 14th, 2018, 12:20 PM
I'm usually in the shower for 20 or more minutes on hair washing day. I shampoo the scalp, rinse, do an acv and oil rinse on the length, then apply my conditioner and begin to detangle my hair which probably takes the longest, clip it up and finish doing the rest of my shower stuff while it soaks.

lucid
March 14th, 2018, 12:38 PM
10-12 minutes, but that only happens at the gym when I'm in a hurry. At home I usually take long showers, 20-40 minutes. :p

Sarahlabyrinth
March 14th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I showered and washed my hair yesterday, and only used diluted shampoo followed by a vinegar rinse, so - about five minutes. If I use conditioner, then it's more like twenty minutes. And about an hours' drying time and a minute or two for detangling after either method of washing (if I blow dry, other wise it can be 6 to eight hours drying, or longer if I sleep with it quite damp it will be still damp for some hours next day as well).

Stray_mind
March 14th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Washing and conditioning takes about 10 minutes, air drying about 1.5 an hour at my current length.

Charjonesxoxo
March 14th, 2018, 02:01 PM
30 minutes to detangle
11 minutes to condition lengths and then shampoo scalp
1 hour to deep condition
And 4-5 hours to air dry
This is why I only wash my hair once a week

Wendyp
March 14th, 2018, 06:01 PM
About 15 mins, I’m in and out. This doesn’t include shaving days tho, just hair washing days.

Dark40
March 14th, 2018, 07:26 PM
It takes me only 30 minutes.

AutobotsAttack
March 14th, 2018, 08:29 PM
depends on what im doing.

If its a wash and condition, less than 10 mins. Including detangling.

If its a wash, deep condition, and condition, about an hour.

If its relaxer day, sometimes it can take up to 3 hours with prepping for the relaxer process, applying relaxer, rinsing, neutralizing, deep conditioning, conditioning, and rinsing.

Air drying takes forever, usually into the next morning, which I don't mind.

Jo Ann
March 14th, 2018, 08:30 PM
About 20 minutes in the shower (hey, a gal's gotta do SOMETHING while the conditioners are sitting on her hair!) and another ten minutes to do LOC after the shower, so about 30 minutes total, once a week.

Drying time varies, depending on whether I wash my hair during the day (maybe 30 minutes, if the weather's warm and breezy), at night (overnight drying, then however long it takes in the morning to finish drying) or if I'm washing then wearing it down until it dries while I run errands (depends on how many stops I have to make).

Salwety
March 14th, 2018, 09:04 PM
As I am WO washing my hair and body, showering only takes about 7 minutes, and detangling and styling takes a full 15 minute. Then I will air dry it either up in aa bun or down but it does not stop me from living my life.
And as previously commented, my getting ready routine is easier and faster since I grow up.

Beckstar
March 14th, 2018, 10:19 PM
30 seconds?

Zindell
March 15th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Brush my hair before the shower = 2 minutes

Total shower time is probably less than 5 minutes:
Wash hair with schampo and rinse with water = 1 to 2 min (No conditioner since I get a fuller hair without)
Wash body = 2 min
Stand and just enjoy the nice warm water = 1 to 2 min

Air dry hair = 1.5 hours

Clara7
March 15th, 2018, 02:20 AM
10-15 minutes - no longer +15 minutes to hair dry

Ligeia Noire
March 18th, 2018, 10:24 AM
If I did not deep conditioned every time I washed it would take like 20 minutes, but I do leave my mask for an hour and then air dry and detangling, clearly a day.

littlestarface
March 18th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I shampoo my scalp twice and then i oil my length put on conditioner wait 10mins (sometimes longer if i'm cleaning the tub) rinse it out. So maybe 30mins to actually wash it, cuz inbetween shampoos I leave the shampoo on my scalp for a few minutes then rinse n so on.
Now thats just washing my hair, you dont even wanna know how long the actual shower takes :rollin:

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I am in the shower for no more than 15 minutes to shave/bathe/shampoo ~ so no more than 15 min. in/out of the shower to shampoo, condition, detangle (if needed), add leave ins, and do a warm>cool scalp blow dry.
My hair dries very fast because it is so fine/wispy (my ends are dry out of the turban), but my scalp hair in the back still has some medium/darker hair remaining and takes longer.
I hate a damp scalp unless it is super hot and humid...then I just use claws or banana clips to put by fringe or length up until it is dry.

ravenskey
March 18th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I CWC which takes me about 30 minutes. Then detangling takes another half hour and air drying takes the rest of the day.

Suze
March 18th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I wash my hair once a week or so and like to take my sweet time with it.:lol: I think it takes me about 30 min. to do my WCC but that's because I like to let both the C's work in for a while. I fingercomb my hair after and that only takes about a minute. I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. Drying takes 3-4 hours.

Trip
March 18th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Ive been washing my hair more often but i shampoo as soon as i get in then put conditioner on the length if im using conditioner if im doing acv then apply that and then do everythig else while that or conditioner soaks in last thing i do is rinse it out so maybe 15 mins? My hair air dries in about an hour

Joules
March 18th, 2018, 01:02 PM
40 mins to an hour...I feel horrible :-( but I usually take my brushes with me to the shower for wash, then shaving takes some time, I also slather my hair in conditioner so much that it takes a lot of time to wash it out, and of course you need some time for good ol' standing under hot water contemplating your life...I still feel bad.

littlestarface
March 18th, 2018, 01:09 PM
40 mins to an hour...I feel horrible :-( but I usually take my brushes with me to the shower for wash, then shaving takes some time, I also slather my hair in conditioner so much that it takes a lot of time to wash it out, and of course you need some time for good ol' standing under hot water contemplating your life...I still feel bad.

Hey I contemplate life too and sing, play with the soap suds on me skin but i'm worst than you I take 1-2 hour showers and I love it but during winter time is not good cuz the hot water runs out and I have to stand in the bathroom with no water waiting for it to reheat itself but its a good time to put on a heat cap while I got conditioner on my head.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
March 18th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I can be done in about 15 minutes. But on days I scrunch and separate my clumps with conditioner it may take 30 to 40 minutes. This excludes my LOC and drying.

nycelle
March 18th, 2018, 03:31 PM

I do the same- stand under hot water just thinking..lol
Today I actually used it all up. Ran out of hot water before my final cold hair rinse..lol..

gthlvrmx
March 20th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Like 15-24 minutes.

Reservechic
March 20th, 2018, 12:11 PM
As of today, my current wash day routine takes me a little over an hour total. However, this does not include my hair drying time because I happen to let my hair airdry, and that can take upwards of 4-5 hours for completion.

My current wash day routine does consist of the following steps: (1)pre-poo, (2) sulfate free cleanser, (3), leave-in conditioner and (4) styling cream. The longest thing in my current wash day regimen is my pre-poo trestment. Only because, I will try to keep keep the oil treatment in my hair for as long as possible.

Aredhel
March 20th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Takes me about 30 minutes exactly. :) (I do tend to dawdle in there though because I LOVE being in hot water :lol:)

Pearly~91
March 20th, 2018, 11:21 PM
If you count the time from detangling before a shower through washing, conditioning, wrapping, styling, and detangling after finishing air drying it's usually more than 24 hours. But the time spent on my hair in that period is probably about 1 hour or less.
Washing my hair only adds about a half hour to my normal get ready routine.

Simsy
March 20th, 2018, 11:26 PM
About an hour to detangle, wash and condition. About an hour to partially dry and detangle. From there, it takes most a day to dry, but I won’t need to do anything else to it until it drys completely.

TheForestFae
March 20th, 2018, 11:47 PM
First is oilling my hair which took me 2 hours to massage and just leave it there :) Then shampooing it for...well I would say for 5 minutes (?), conditioner for 3 minutes, if I want to put my hair mask on hat day I will leave it for 5 to 10 mins. Then to the hair rinse part, took 1 sec and I'm done :v So I would say that total more than 2 hours? :D :D :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 21st, 2018, 12:24 AM
Depends if I’m deep conditioning or not.
Anywhere from an hour to three hours

unheardletters
March 21st, 2018, 04:58 AM
It’s about 2 minutes to wash my hair (I timed it). I just wet it, shampoo the scalp, rinse, conditioner on the length, rinse. I don’t style or comb my hair anymore, so I spend no time on that. But the air drying takes a long time I wash at 4am and bedtime is about 10pm and most times it is not quite fully dry yet, so it takes 18+ hours. I have to take the whole day off on wash days just because of the excessive drying time.

empoppet
March 21st, 2018, 08:35 AM
Full wash (once a week) takes about 15 minutes extra in shower, plus 20 minutes to an hour drying in towel, plus 20 odd minutes to brush and braid.
But all other days I only wash the top of my head, so it's a normal 5-10 minute shower.

Dendra
March 21st, 2018, 02:05 PM
At quickest 40 mins with 3.5 hours drying time. Longest would be 2 hours with 3.5 hours drying time.

MlleMC
March 21st, 2018, 03:16 PM
I spend about 10 minutes detangling before getting in the shower (or up to 20 if I haven't detangled in the last 24h).

The actual shampooing (once) and rinsing takes somewhere around 7 minutes. I don't condition every time, but if I do it takes about 10 minutes (condition, detangle for a few minutes, then rinse).

Then I put my hair up in a t-shirt to get most of the water out (15 minutes to an hour). After I take off the t-shirt, I separate the strands to make them dry faster, either with my fingers or with a wide tooth comb, and let it down to air dry. It takes about 12 hours to fully dry, but I don't have to do anything, so I don't mind.