PDA

View Full Version : How do you figure out your hairtype?

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
how the heck do i figure out those hair type classifier thingies gaah.. :?

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, condition, and make sure that all products are out of your hair then when your hair dries compare your dried hair to other hair types (you can use the andre walker hair typing system). However, I think that some people will mistake their hair types if they do not use the proper styling products, for example some people with type 4a hair will say that they have type 4b because they do not know that with gel their curl type is defined (some will simply think that they have no curl type). Make sure though your hair has not been damaged by heat styling tools (they tend to change the hair texture making it frizzer and straighter when the curl pattern is damaged) or coloring, relaxers, texturizers, or perms.

Ermine
August 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I also find it helpful to look at other users' pictures and how they typed themselves. I wasn't sure if my hair was 1c until I looked at a few photos of people with 1c, and it's similar to mine. I find that a little easier than the written descriptions of the hair types.

BlazingHeart
August 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Um, and don't mess with your hair while it's drying - no brushing or combing - to get the most accurate hairtyping. You'll get a better result without leave-ins, too.

Also, the forum posting rules ask that you don't use texting-type abbreviations like 'ur'. Thanks.:flower:

~Blaze

Gypsygirl
August 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Check out this old thread:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=8954