PDA

View Full Version : Hearing more snapping sounds as I comb slowly, will this help?

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Lately I have been hearing those snapping/breaking sounds as I comb near my ends, even slowly and carefully. I don't SEE any little hairs falling out, but it's only logical with the sounds.

I have been avoiding protein for a few months, but someone posted a thread earlier about them having breakage/shedding and using Nexxus Emergencee on the hair and it helped. I know it's a protein treatment, but I wonder if my hair might need it. Or would it make it worse? I just bought some but haven't tried it yet.

I've done the wet strand test. It seems to stretch and break, or if I let go before it would break, it doesn't seem to shrink back. I just don't want to end up making my ends feel worse with protein. Any experiences?

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have used aphgoee before, I think though that like the aphogee treatment the nexxus emergencee is a "hard protein treatment" so if I were you, I would try using some soft treatments like eggs or coconut milk or natures gate biotin conditioner (I had to use this two days in a row though before my hair got hard). Also do you comb your hair while it is wet? Does your hair have some kind of slippery conditioner in it. One tip that I have found that really helps me, is combing in sections and making sure that the parts are hair free (otherwise you'll pull hair on the opposite side of the part and cause more unintended damage). Try fingercombing first and then combing out with a comb. What is your combing routine like?

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
What is your combing routine like?

I comb wet while in the shower, with lots of coney conditioner on it. I finger comb when I get out and then follow it up with another combing. I do try to go by sections, as I know hair from all over can get mixed in and tangle. I be as gentle as I can be, but lately I just hear those snapping sounds.

For the record, I forgot to mention that I do have old highlights on the bottom ~5 inches give or take. You can't really see them anymore, but I haven't trimmed (only S&D) since I got them and it's been over a year and a half. I also used blow driers all the time until last December, and probably when it was way shorter I used flat irons on it. So I'm dealing with at least some damage, although it's nothing horrible. I heard that protein is good for that, though.

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Protein is usally really good when your hair is damaged or overmoisturized. It sounds like your combing routine is good, maybe your hair does not like to be combed dry and I would try finger combing with conditioner in your hair and then combing while rinsing the conditioner out. Finger combing works great because your fingers can get all of the tangles that your comb can't. Combing while rinsing the conditioner out tends to work well because the water pressure helps the comb glide right through.

Out of curiosity does your hair like cones, or do they make your hair dry? Is your hair tangled? Or is your hair just too moisturuzed? If your hair is dry then try more conditioning treatments or oiling your hair before you wash it. Also when you finger comb are your nails trimmed and filed? The same concept goes with your combs are they seamless, if not then file your combs down. Maybe you need to clarify your hair and then start all over again with your usual routine.

Sorry for the rambling.

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Protein is usally really good when your hair is damaged or overmoisturized. It sounds like your combing routine is good, maybe your hair does not like to be combed dry and I would try finger combing with conditioner in your hair and then combing while rinsing the conditioner out. Finger combing works great because your fingers can get all of the tangles that your comb can't. Combing while rinsing the conditioner out tends to work well because the water pressure helps the comb glide right through.

Out of curiosity does your hair like cones, or do they make your hair dry? Is your hair tangled? Or is your hair just too moisturuzed? If your hair is dry then try more conditioning treatments or oiling your hair before you wash it. Also when you finger comb are your nails trimmed and filed? The same concept goes with your combs are they seamless, if not then file your combs down. Maybe you need to clarify your hair and then start all over again with your usual routine.

Sorry for the rambling.

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I've clarified quite often lately, at least once a week. My hair loves cones, so I use them all the time, and I oil and have a leave in for when I get out of the shower. My hair only gets tangled at the ends, and it's been a pretty recent development. I do have trimmed/filed nails and a seamless comb. I was thinking of clarifying with my non-sulfate clarifying shampoo before I tried this Nexxus stuff, and then follow up with a lot of coney conditioner.

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
So your hair is not dry, well then give the protein treatment a try, but I suggest that you try a mild protein treatment before something really heavy like Nexxus Emergencee, because it does not sound like your hair is severly damaged. Try cracking open a few eggs, you can use coconut milk or coconut cream, or some plain yogurt.

YepLilly
August 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Hi there! It was me who posted about the Nexxus Emergencee :)

I agree with dawnss. This is an intense protein treatment. It helped me because my hair seems to be starving for protein at the moment. I suggest you first try a shampoo or conditioner with a little bit of protein and see how it goes (such as Suave Coconut or VO5 Strawberry).

Moreover, before all that that, look closely at your hair. Maybe it's breaking due to other reasons. Is it fluffy and weak? Or dry and brittle? How are your ends, very fine and soft or velcro-like? Maybe you do need more moisture instead or more protein?

Good luck :flower:

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Oh and I just wanted to ask you, how do you wear your hair? Many people with straight hair tend to have issues when they wear their hair down. Additionally what is your leave in like, and why have you been clarifying so much recently, does your hair need it? What kind of clarifier are you using?

Madora
August 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
@Monstera...

Exactly HOW are you combing? Believe it or not, it does make a difference how you comb with a wide tooth comb.

Honestwitness
August 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My fine ends have been much less prone to snap now that I have done these 3 things:

1. Wash only every third day with shampoo and conditioner and never comb in the shower or when it's wet.
2. Use a lemon juice rinse every month or so, between the shampoo and conditioner.
3. Spray my length generously with a mixture of half water and half cheap Suave conditioner, scrunch thoroughly, and let it air dry before I comb with a wide-tooth comb.

I think my snapping was due to product buildup. I need shampoo. I don't get good results with CO.

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hi there! It was me who posted about the Nexxus Emergencee :)

I agree with dawnss. This is an intense protein treatment. It helped me because my hair seems to be starving for protein at the moment. I suggest you first try a shampoo or conditioner with a little bit of protein and see how it goes (such as Suave Coconut or VO5 Strawberry).

Moreover, before all that that, look closely at your hair. Maybe it's breaking due to other reasons. Is it fluffy and weak? Or dry and brittle? How are your ends, very fine and soft or velcro-like? Maybe you do need more moisture instead or more protein?

Good luck :flower:

I'm not sure how I would describe it. Maybe a bit fluffy and velcro-like? I can untangle and then moments later it'll catch a snag again, unless it's drenched in oil (which I wouldn't go out with it like that). I've been using lots of moisture lately, even SMTs aren't helping.

Oh and I just wanted to ask you, how do you wear your hair? Many people with straight hair tend to have issues when they wear their hair down. Additionally what is your leave in like, and why have you been clarifying so much recently, does your hair need it? What kind of clarifier are you using?

It's mostly down. Like 90% down/half up and the rest in a ponytail. I have layers and braids aren't holding right now, plus I'm pretty inept at them. I hate how I look with my hair up as it is, so buns just make it look worse.

@Monstera...

Exactly HOW are you combing? Believe it or not, it does make a difference how you comb with a wide tooth comb.

I comb from the bottom up. I try to undo tangles with my fingers when I get to them. Thing is, the snags I'm getting stuck on now and the snapping noises happen when I don't even know there was a snag. Like I can go really slowly and I will hear a snapping noise even before I knew there was a problem.

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The Nexxus stuff won't straighten my hair anymore, will it? Can protein treatments do that? I vaguely remember something about that, but not sure.

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Protein treatments do not straighten hair, go to youtube and look at lolascrib video on finger detangling. I suggest that after you detangle your hair braid, twist, or bun each section (this really works wonders for many people with very curly/kinky hair: type three c and type four hair), this way it is harder for your hair to tangle. Also are the "snags" little hair balls, I know that these tend to be common in curly hair but you may have them, if you do they are usually called single strands or fairy knots and you can find info on them all over the internet. Since you do quite a bit of combing do you have breakage or splits? Your hair might be very dry because you are clarifying a lot. If your hair is fluffy and velcro like then cut back on whatever it is thats drying your hair out (it can be using the wrong kinds of oils, too much shampoo, using the wrong conditioner, or the wrong styling products).

Also I know you have type one/two hair and this may make your hair greasy but find an after shower moisturizer. This can be applying water to your hair daily and then applying a light oil, you can find a really good natural moisturizing cream that is water based, or look for any good water based product that makes your hair soft and then apply some oil to seal in the moisture. Do you have a boar bristle brush and jojoba oil. Before you try a protein treatment try deep conditioning your hair, and it sounds like your hair may not like shea butter since you said that SMT is not working as well anymore. When you oil your hair do you shampoo out all of the oil? And sorry if this is personal but if you have any health problems or medications then your hair can be dry.

luthein
August 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hey =) we're hair twins and I'd get snap noises when I combed. I switched to a Tangle Teezer and it really reduced the number of snaps. My hair is also a cone fanatic, but I found that cones now build up faster (I recently moved, maybe the water is an issue) so I now use my cone conditioner diluted with something that you'd use for CO. It might be another option to explore.

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Protein treatments do not straighten hair, go to youtube and look at lolascrib video on finger detangling. I suggest that after you detangle your hair braid, twist, or bun each section (this really works wonders for many people with very curly/kinky hair: type three c and type four hair), this way it is harder for your hair to tangle. Also are the "snags" little hair balls, I know that these tend to be common in curly hair but you may have them, if you do they are usually called single strands or fairy knots and you can find info on them all over the internet. Since you do quite a bit of combing do you have breakage or splits? Your hair might be very dry because you are clarifying a lot. If your hair is fluffy and velcro like then cut back on whatever it is thats drying your hair out (it can be using the wrong kinds of oils, too much shampoo, using the wrong conditioner, or the wrong styling products).

Also I know you have type one/two hair and this may make your hair greasy but find an after shower moisturizer. This can be applying water to your hair daily and then applying a light oil, you can find a really good natural moisturizing cream that is water based, or look for any good water based product that makes your hair soft and then apply some oil to seal in the moisture. Do you have a boar bristle brush and jojoba oil. Before you try a protein treatment try deep conditioning your hair, and it sounds like your hair may not like shea butter since you said that SMT is not working as well anymore. When you oil your hair do you shampoo out all of the oil? And sorry if this is personal but if you have any health problems or medications then your hair can be dry.

I am going to stop clarifying so often. And well here is my routine (when not clarifying): shampoo scalp only with sulfate-, cone-, and protein-free shampoo; conditioner all over (coney) and rinse at end of shower; cold shot; comb and after it dries a bit for a couple minutes I use Nightblooming's winter panacea; once dry I lightly oil with Nightblooming's triple moon oil. So that's my normal routine.

I don't have any health problems or meds but I stopped taking birth control about 5-6 weeks ago.

So I actually just used the Nexxus stuff and the hair actually doesn't feel like crap, so that's good. And it had slip and was easy to comb through after, so we'll see how it feels after it dries. Feels fine at the moment.

dawnss
August 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Well then it seems like your hair just needed a protein treatment, I just kept advising against it because I did not want your hair to end up with too much protein. If I were you, then I would keep on using a light protein treatment maybe once to twice a week. Now it makes sense why your hair kept snapping and feeling dry it was over moisutrized. When hair has too much moisture it loses its' elasticity and it starts to break. Protein is needed to ensure that the hair will accept the moisture treatments and it also helps add structure to the hair (: glad to know that your problem has been solved. I swear we should have a "Sherlock Holmes LHC" lol.

monsterna
August 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Haha, we should. It felt a lot better today. I didn't find that Emergencee stuff to be too heavy. It said leave on 1-2 minutes, so I just did 1 to see how that went. Felt just right. Just followed up with Aussie Moist conditioner and did my usual routine and it was a lot easier to comb through. I'll do another in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the help!