PDA

View Full Version : How to thicken up your braid.

terpentyna
August 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Now, it is very probable that some have already figured this out, but I decided to share this regardless. This also probably works best with straight hair.

In the process of going with "hairstyle of the month", I was remembered that when you undo a micro braid, and then brush it with a BBB, it goes POOF!

What I did was make two micro braids on either side of the base of my skull, undo them after two days (you can shorten this time, of course), enjoyed a day of crimped strands with beads, and then I incorporated the strands into my regular brushing. As you probably suspect, they became fluffy. When I did my lazy braid after brushing my hair out, it was thicker due to said fluffiness.

This is an effect comparable to backcombing. It's not like the brushed out crimped hair is sleek, but since the rest of it is, it truly does confuse enough to give the illusion of volume.

You can make a couple of micro braids under the first layer of the crown to add volume, or you can do a pompadour this way as well... The possibilities are endless!!

Apologies if I am being super obvious.
:cheese:

ButterCream
August 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
This was super helpfull to me, Thank you!
I have a flat back head which drives me insaaaane at times as I also have one of those wirls back in the very center of my back head... (sorry, can`t seem to remember the exact word:o)

I will try your suggestion! I don`t like to back comb it but simply have to at times as the parting on the back of my head is really bad, especially the day after I washed it. Your idea sounds much more gentle to the hair:)

Thanks!:)

JuliaDancer
August 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
That is a brilliant idea! I never thought of it, but it makes so much sense! Volume without the damage of backcombing...

BelleBot
August 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I've never thought of this before, thank you. I always feel my braid is a tad on the skinny side. I'll try this to give it some oomph. :)

terpentyna
August 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, I'm glad it's helpful! It does take a bit longer than backcombing, but hey, if you do it often then it's definitely worth it in the end.

Signe
August 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
wooop! Bring on the before and after pics! :p

oddbeat
August 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Huh, that's a really good idea! Never would have thought of that. I'll have to give that a shot next time. Thanks :)

terpentyna
August 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'll redo this and post pics, In the meantime I'll be glad to see some as well : )

terpentyna
August 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
So here's a before and After.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/BourdieFreak79/DSC07331.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/BourdieFreak79/DSC07336.jpg
The "after" is obviously a little closer, but you can still see the difference : )

Sweet Beat
August 19th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Great idea! This probably could be replace teasing in many hairstyles :D

neko_kawaii
August 19th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'd never thought about doing it on purpose but I had noticed that effect. Maybe that is why my MIL and SIL insisted my hair was curlier than SIL's (we both have 1b/2a waves) but mine always has extra wave from being braided at night.

curlymarcia
August 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, the change is very impressive. But I don't believe it will work with my curly hair.

Signe
August 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Wheyyyy! Terpentyna that's a great one!